Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 270 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 06:54 AM   #5206
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
I have always like watches but have never invested in a real luxury watch. The closest was a Bulova Accutron auto that I was able to purchase at a huge discount back when I was in the gift industry. But that watch was stolen when our home was broken into a couple of years ago.

Well that has all changed with the watch my wife just bought me for my birthday (2 weeks). Actually when I asked her if she would get me a nice watch she just said, pick one out and buy it. So I did. What do you think?

[IMG][/IMG]

It is a Lum-Tec V 1 Limited Edition #11 out of 150. First discovered Lum-Tec here when I would occasionally check out the cool watches. I would visit their website often dreaming of which one I would pick out. The serious lume was the main draw as well as the distinctive but not overboard styling.

[IMG][/IMG]

Being that I live about 10 miles from their HQ, I bought it directly from them at their showroom. Great bunch of guys. Took their time explaining to me their watches and features. Yesterday when I pulled the trigger after harrassing them over several visits, they threw in a silver bracelet ($145) for me. The watch also comes with a diver's rubber band and a beautiful wood display box.

A coulple of more pics. I am so proud!

[IMG][/IMG]

Also included was a quick deployment buckle for the leather strap. Never saw one of those before. The watch also has a saphire crystal display back to show off the upgraded and decorated Swiss movement.

[IMG][/IMG]

You know this means I am probably going to become a watch collector now. I am going to have to buy a display case and winders and of course more watches. What have I got myself into?

Rick G
LUM-TEC makes quality watches,, I like almost every one they produce from the quartz models to the automatics and the occasional manual . Enjoy your watch.. and yes it is addictive and dangerous.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:02 AM   #5207
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Oddometer: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stiski View Post
LUM-TEC makes quality watches,, I like almost every one they produce from the quartz models to the automatics and the occasional manual . Enjoy your watch.. and yes it is addictive and dangerous.
That is what I was afraid of.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #5208
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 715
i've managed to stay off watch sites for a while, better for the bank account. liked the look of some of the lum tecs. I can't seem to find info on there case heights. taller watches don't work well for me at work. any idea?
bfd70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #5209
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Just call the company. Friendly bunch of guys.

Rick G
Old 11-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #5210
rawdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazza View Post
I recently purchased a brand new Rolex Submariner, which I'm very happy with. It just feels like a quality piece of precision engineering that will probably outlast me. And I figured while I have the spare cash in the bank, if I don't get one now, I never will...

Fair point about splashing out £4,700 on a device that simply tells the time (I got mine tax-free shipped out to my FOB in Afghanistan - not the wisest move, but it was insured), but for me, a watch as well designed and crafted as this is more an object of beauty than any 'fine art' painting or sculpture.

Not my photo by the way
Nice! You will always have a very cool story about how you brought your submariner. Now, please send some pics of your watch in Afghanistan.

Be safe
rawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #5211
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,252
+1
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #5212
Anglewood
Has a fake Mustache

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
My wife and I were invited to a preview showing of the new James Bond movie Skyfall last evening. The movie was GREAT...JB Hudson Jewelers invited us and they had the new 50 year Omega 007 mens and womens watches on hand for us to check out. I loved the watch. The size was perfect for my tastes (I do not care for the new large mens styles) and I can read it with out my glasses on. I did not see the movement thru the back but I understand it looks like a 9mm bullet. I almost forgot, the MSRP for the mens in $5000.
My everyday watch is a Rolex date just SS & Gold that I bought in 1983. I wear inexpensive watches when I ride.

Dudley
A friend of mine just got that watch, and it is beautiful. The bullet in the back is connected to the movement so it stays upright at all angles. For a special edition, the "Bond" touches are actually pretty subtle in person and one has to get a close look to see the details.

-Connor
Anglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #5213
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
Another excellent brand that Watchbuys sells is Muhle Glashutte. I have the classic Search and Rescue model on the bracelet, and I would consider it as good a watch as the Sinn, with even better finishing on the dial.
My wife has this one, it is a beautiful watch.

Kokopelli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #5214
Chazza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog View Post
Nice! You will always have a very cool story about how you brought your submariner. Now, please send some pics of your watch in Afghanistan.

Be safe
Ha, thanks!

I'll try and get a few pictures sometime when it's calmed down a bit out here.... Hopefully I'll manage to get out on the mountains some point, but as you may well imagine, taking pictures of myself and / or my watch in a warzone is pretty low on my list of things to do!
Chazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #5215
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
For those of you that have Lüm Tec automatics, how reliableare they in terms keeping accurate time? What is the typical +/- gain per week.

I really like the look of the watches and Amex considering getting one.
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #5216
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anglewood View Post
A friend of mine just got that watch, and it is beautiful. The bullet in the back is connected to the movement so it stays upright at all angles. For a special edition, the "Bond" touches are actually pretty subtle in person and one has to get a close look to see the details.

-Connor
I'm no fan of Bond...to me that looks like a Michael Kors.

I like Omega in general, but their penchant for "Limited Editions" devalues every watch they make.

I mean, really, does James Bond play James Bond?

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #5217
Rick G
Ranger Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze Red Baron View Post
For those of you that have Lüm Tec automatics, how reliableare they in terms keeping accurate time? What is the typical +/- gain per week.

I really like the look of the watches and Amex considering getting one.
I just got mine so no long term experience yet, but from what I read they are suppose to be +/- 3 seconds a day. That is accurate enough for me.

Rick G
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 PM   #5218
Anglewood
Has a fake Mustache

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
I'm no fan of Bond...to me that looks like a Michael Kors.

I like Omega in general, but their penchant for "Limited Editions" devalues every watch they make.

I mean, really, does James Bond play James Bond?
My buddy is huge Bond fan and works in the industry (as they call it here in LA). I personally would not go for a LE watch, but appreciate what they did here. He was a Fossil fan before, now he has made the jump and probably won't be able to go back.

-Connor
Anglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #5219
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick G View Post
Just call the company. Friendly bunch of guys.

Rick G
agreed. left a message nad heard back within the hour. 13mm is the answer.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #5220
bfd70
Studly Adventurer

Well, now I have the Lum tec bug. Need to generate some capital, so I'm posting my Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Mid-size Auto in the flea market. Trades for Sinn and Lum Tec considered.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: