Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 253 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #5656
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
Whats the story behind Invicta watches? They have some skeleton styles that I dig and are inexpensive.
If you go to some of the watch forums, Invictas seem to be a huge source of debate. Some people think they're fine for an inexpensive watch, and some think they're total garbage, being passed off as good watches deceptively. I personally don't like them. I think their styles are kind of gaudy. For a similar price, I'd buy a Seiko.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:09 AM   #5657
neanderthal
globeriding wannabe

Oddometer: 1,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
If you go to some of the watch forums, Invictas seem to be a huge source of debate. Some people think they're fine for an inexpensive watch, and some think they're total garbage, being passed off as good watches deceptively. I personally don't like them. I think their styles are kind of gaudy. For a similar price, I'd buy a Seiko.
I think they're trying too hard. Most of them are gaudy.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #5658
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
Whats the story behind Invicta watches? They have some skeleton styles that I dig and are inexpensive.
Invicta focuses on high volume fashion designs...attention to looks, lots of cosmetic choices. The cases are a testament to what can be mass produced cheaply these days. Guts are cheap mid-range quartz movements, or low-end mechanical movements. They're akin to fossil. You buy them for the looks, and the fact that it doesn't take a ton of $$s to change the look on your wrist. Functionally...the quartz ones work. The mechanical ones work decently enough until they don't...in which case you toss it, and buy a new one.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #5659
Censport
Vendor

Oddometer: 424
Yeah, most of the Invictas are gaudy watches. But sometimes they'll mistakenly issue a gem. Here's my one-and-only Invicta, from their "Vintage" series a few years ago:

That's on the stock strap. It now rides comfortably on a NATO that I picked up in Tokyo last year. At 44mm, it's my biggest watch. The NATO strap makes it wearable all day.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #5660
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,335
I have 3 Invictas, all divers. I love two of them.

The gentleman seeking the skeleton should look at Orient.
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #5661
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
+1. I'm in the "I think they're really fucking gaudy and atrocious" camp. Ultimately, if any manufacturer makes a watch you like and it's affordable for you - buy it! I just don't personally like anything that brand makes. If I did, I'd go for it - the price point is very affordable

A customer at work today had a gorgeous Luminor 1950 GMT 8-day with a stainless steel band. I was so jealous!
Old 02-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #5662
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,223
Quote:
To my eyes, they are oversized and over-polished on the outside, and inexpensively made inside. Their marketing approach of 'list price' vs. street price makes them look silly, in my eyes.

That being said, if they float your boat, I don't care. Watches are personal.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #5663
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post
To my eyes, they are oversized and over-polished on the outside, and inexpensively made inside. Their marketing approach of 'list price' vs. street price makes them look silly, in my eyes.

That being said, if they float your boat, I don't care. Watches are personal.
The list prices are such a joke. But then again, so's the price of a Bell & Ross BR02-94.

As for garish oversized and over-polished looks...that's certainly what they're known for. But they have like a thousand options. Some of them are a little more conventional.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #5664
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,421
Hey, are we starting a "Your Watch is Ugly!" thread?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #5665
Bikebits
Scramblin' man

Oddometer: 202
Picked up this one last week. The AD was dropping the Jaeger-LeCoultre line and was about to box the watches up and send them back to the distributor. They knew I had admired this watch and called me to see if I wanted it, at their cost, before it got sent back. Couldn't say no to that............

'06 Triumph Scrambler Trans-Labrador veteran
Bikebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #5666
Hay Ewe
Just a Wannabe

Oddometer: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikebits View Post
Picked up this one last week. The AD was dropping the Jaeger-LeCoultre line and was about to box the watches up and send them back to the distributor. They knew I had admired this watch and called me to see if I wanted it, at their cost, before it got sent back. Couldn't say no to that............

mmm, that's a curious watch, it tells the day and the month but the number of the day is in the circumference, thats thinking out side the norm!
The sector at the top, is that the power meter?
Hay Ewe
He'd swear a lot, dance on the log cards, piss in Johnny's beer and head off to the nearest bar 🍷
Hay Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #5667
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hay Ewe View Post
mmm, that's a curious watch, it tells the day and the month but the number of the day is in the circumference, thats thinking out side the norm!
The sector at the top, is that the power meter?
Hay Ewe
Yes. Reserve de Marche=Power Reserve. It is also a Moonphase movement. See the subdial at 6:00. Definitely drool-worthy.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #5668
kfalls_rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:

kfalls_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #5669
Codewheeney
Hoopy Frood

Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:

Fantastic!

Plays in traffic.
Codewheeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 PM   #5670
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:

Well...even at their cost, we're not playing in the same league Sir.

Congratulations though, pretty nice watch!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: