Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 346 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #5686
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHO100 View Post
Well, I'm mostly a lurker on here because I don't have anything impressive. This Seiko has been my daily for about 7 years now:

I recently had the battery changed while on a trip, and the fuckers forgot to put the o-ring back in, so it got moisture inside.

I took the back off, and there is some rust colored grime on the surface of the movement and the battery was clearly shot. I've put the watch in a container of rice with the cover off to suck out all the moisture, but I'm wondering if I can clean the movement myself by dipping it in something? Or should I just take it to a repair facility? Or just buy a new one?

Could use some advice, thanks in advance
you can dip it in any non-conductive moisture displacement liquid. We used to use denatured alcohol in our engineering lab when I worked for an electron beam lithography company. Pretty flammable stuff, of course. Evaporated nicely to leave you not much to clean up.

might still be a goner though.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #5687
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer: 282
one more drunk watch, coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
you can dip it in any non-conductive moisture displacement liquid. We used to use denatured alcohol in our engineering lab when I worked for an electron beam lithography company. Pretty flammable stuff, of course. Evaporated nicely to leave you not much to clean up.

DS
Could you share a few more thoughts on this alcohol 'drinking' watch--

All things equal,
Would you use this procedure with an operational battery installed or battery out? I am thinking out....

Would you turn the watch 'belly up to dry' or drain the alcohol, then face up to allow gravity to drain any excess, etc?

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America
revmaaatin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #5688
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmaaatin View Post
DS
Could you share a few more thoughts on this alcohol 'drinking' watch--

All things equal,
Would you use this procedure with an operational battery installed or battery out? I am thinking out....

Would you turn the watch 'belly up to dry' or drain the alcohol, then face up to allow gravity to drain any excess, etc?
I would say remove battery...not because of the alcohol, but because of possible impurities.

I'd just dunk it in very pure solution of alcohol (e.g.: 99%). We had acetone sitting around too for cleaning flux off the board. We'd get the stuff from our chem suppliers. Not sure about the OTC stuff...might not be pure enough. The alcohol tends to displace the moisture. And then when you take it out, most of the alcohol drips off, and that which doesn't evaporates, leaving you a rapidly dried piece of electronics. Come to think of it, I can recall several times when my dad had random electronics sitting in a glass jar filled with liquid, and I suspect that's what he was doing. Old dog from bell labs, he was.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 10:56 AM
Old 02-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #5689
revmaaatin
Sioux Empire Iron Horse

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
I would say remove battery...not because of the alcohol, but because of possible impurities.

I'd just dunk it in very pure solution of alcohol (e.g.: 99%). We had acetone sitting around too for cleaning flux off the board. We'd get the stuff from our chem suppliers. Not sure about the OTC stuff...might not be pure enough. The alcohol tends to displace the moisture. And then when you take it out, most of the alcohol drips off, and that which doesn't evaporates, leaving you a rapidly dried piece of electronics. Come to think of it, I can recall several times when my dad had random electronics sitting in a glass jar filled with liquid, and I suspect that's what he was doing. Old dog from bell labs, he was.

Slightly off topic. shrug.
Makes me wonder how well your suggestion might work on a drowned cell
phone. I think I will give it go the next time, rather than the solar dying, followed by the heave-ho.

I suspect it will not be good for the screen/graphics.

...fine is the line between foolishness and daring....Paul Vasey Rivers of America
revmaaatin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #5690
GHO100
Crazy George

Oddometer: 974
Would it be necessary to remove the stem and crown? I just want to make sure the face and arms wouldn't be harmed by doing this, otherwise I'm going to give it a try.

Finding a replair place in NYC that will fix it will likely cost more than replacing it.

Quote:

www.NYMSTF.org - Support NY Riders!
GHO100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #5691
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Would it be necessary to remove the stem and crown? I just want to make sure the face and arms wouldn't be harmed by doing this, otherwise I'm going to give it a try.

Finding a replair place in NYC that will fix it will likely cost more than replacing it.
I can't say what it'd do to the lume/finish. Arguably alcohol could do a number on certain varnishes. And lume is definitely hydroscopic. I was imagining a partial disassembly and re-mounting of hands would be in order, if the cosmetics were of importance. I know if it were me, I'd just say screw it, and dunk it it.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #5692
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,482
So I finally get my Breitling back from JD Watchworks...

After about 7 months in their shop.

It's still fucked up. I'm beyond pissed, but have decided that since it's only the GMT hand that is fucked, and the watch is keeping really good time otherwise, I'm just going to wear the SOB, then after a while, send it to the mothership in CT for another service.

I hate to think what another trip to the San Francisco Spa will do to it.

On the plus size, it arrived polished to new condition, so it looks terrific!

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #5693
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:

My mil watch got wet when the back was removed and not re-installed with a sealant.
I removed the back myself and dried the watch for a couple weeks behind the wood stove.

Then I replaced the battery and it ran.

So replace the battery and see if it runs with rhe back off, if it doesn't I'd send it off to Seiko for repair.

http://www.seikowatches.com/support/customer/index.html
bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 02-19-2013 at 06:50 PM
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #5694
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,156
Quote:

That will also remove all of the lubricant in the watch. Even in a quartz watch there are a lot of places that need to be lubed. No way would I "dry" my watch like this!

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #5695
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyT View Post
That will also remove all of the lubricant in the watch. Even in a quartz watch there are a lot of places that need to be lubed. No way would I "dry" my watch like this!
http://www.squireswatches.com/Questi...20HANDLING.htm

bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #5696
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyT View Post
That's true, I wasn't thinking about that. All that lube would certainly go bye bye. I've done the toaster oven in the past on an automatic that got wet, and various cell phones and stuff with somewhat decent results. I also tried going to the craft store and getting one of those big flower-drying tubs of dessicant. Not quite as fast as dunking in denatured alcohol... But successful. The only thing I've applied alcohol to was straight up circuit boards.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 PM   #5697
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post

It's still fucked up. I'm beyond pissed, but have decided that since it's only the GMT hand that is fucked, and the watch is keeping really good time otherwise, I'm just going to wear the SOB, then after a while, send it to the mothership in CT for another service.

My Dad sent a Breitling in for service (I'm not sure where) and it came back fucked up. Basically he sent it in for a battery replacement and they did that. Then they did a "pressure test" which involved some kind of dunking. Surprise, it failed the pressure test because they positioned the seal(s) incorrectly and needed $$$$ in repairs, was never the same after that. They also polished the body -- oops, it used to have a satin finish, sorry about that.

Where is the "mothership" for service?

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #5698
Manuel Garcia O'Kely
Back at last

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210 View Post
My Dad sent a Breitling in for service (I'm not sure where) and it came back fucked up. Basically he sent it in for a battery replacement and they did that. Then they did a "pressure test" which involved some kind of dunking. Surprise, it failed the pressure test because they positioned the seal(s) incorrectly and needed $$$$ in repairs, was never the same after that. They also polished the body -- oops, it used to have a satin finish, sorry about that.

Where is the "mothership" for service?
Connectectuut....That's Breitling USA.

This is my first bad experience, I've had another Breitling for 20 years with no service issues.

There's casting, then there's running into the stream with a baseball bat trying to club the fish to death. - Jim Moore
Manuel Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #5699
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel Garcia O'Kely View Post

Never put up with poor service. Raise a stink. Or get your money back.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #5700
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack90210 View Post
I sent a ca 1980 Heuer Quartz Divers to the official Tag Heuer service locally for a battery and service back in the 90s. The did it and also converted the screw down crown to non-screw down ie push type. When I 'raised' this with them, they stated that the watch was never a screw down type. The customer is always wrong and the service centre always right!!! Never again.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: