Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 304 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 12:06 PM   #1216
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry
beautiful.
Thanks, my Dad was a Transport pilot in the Army Air Corps, stationed in India, and flew a C47 over the "Hump" into China supplying the troops there toward the end of the war. He made the trip 67 times, in some of the shittiest weather at and sometimes over the ceiling of the planes. Pretty cool stuff. He had that watch in his dresser drawer, and told me to never touch it. So I had to get my hands on it. I think I was 10. Naturally I dropped it and it stopped ticking. I put it back, hoping he wouldn't find out... Got my ass whooped for that one! He had it repaired, and I never touched it again. After he died Memorial Day '07, my mom gave it to me. It is a Hamilton, but has GST on the face. I'll give it to my daughter someday.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:08 PM   #1217
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn
Thanks, my Dad was a Transport pilot in the Army Air Corps, stationed in India, and flew a C47 over the "Hump" into China supplying the troops there toward the end of the war. He made the trip 67 times, in some of the shittiest weather at and sometimes over the ceiling of the planes. Pretty cool stuff. He had that watch in his dresser drawer, and told me to never touch it. So I had to get my hands on it. I think I was 10. Naturally I dropped it and it stopped ticking. I put it back, hoping he wouldn't find out... Got my ass whooped for that one! He had it repaired, and I never touched it again. After he died Memorial Day '07, my mom gave it to me. It is a Hamilton, but has GST on the face. I'll give it to my daughter someday.
Wonderful story

Sorry about your dad
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #1218
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,427
Thanks Merc, My dad was almost 40 years older than me, and we butted heads over a lot of shit. But he allowed me to get into bikes at 12, and I'll alway's be thankful to him for that.
rbrsddn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #1219
AllanC
Exception to the Rule

Oddometer: 2,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstormer
The best overall watch sites around are probably Watchuseek.com or Timezone.com

There are numerous sub-forums, one of which will support your watch cravings to no end.

Enjoy
+1 on TZ. A great resource, and there are a lot of very, very knowledgable folks on there.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #1220
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,608
Couple of suggestions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnstormer
The best overall watch sites around are probably Watchuseek.com or Timezone.com

There are numerous sub-forums, one of which will support your watch cravings to no end.

Enjoy
Don't post here very much since I sold the 950 but I still keep an eye out on one or two threads. This is one of them.

Life is good - just got back at 13:33 from two weeks in Brazil. Due to crime issues in Sao Paulo, I won't wear an expensive watch there. Instead, I wear a Casio Pathfinder. Great travel watch - reviewed here.

I like it for the flexibility when traveling and as silly as it seems, the compass helps keep me oriented in a strange city where it's difficult to see which way the sun is shining either due to the high number of tall buildings or way too much rain.

I owned a Rolex GMT for years and now regret selling it. Truly a great watch that can really take a beating. I'll replace it in the next few years.

Several have made comments about the price they paid for their watch versus what that watch costs now. I sold my Rolex several years ago for what basically what I paid for it around 1993. I'll ignore inflation and opportunity costs of course.

Someone mentioned the Glycine Airman - great watches with a good history. For the person who asked about refinishing the dial - not sure I'd do that. Might impact the value but rather than offer that kind of advice, if it were me, I'd post the question here. You'll get good, solid advice. If you need work, contact Werner at Falcon Watch.

If you like military style watches, check out the O&W brand...Ollech & Wajs. They were popular during Vietnam and Mr. Wajs carries on the brand today. Howard Marx is a good seller of these watches. Westcoastime

I decided that I wanted to be more than a purchaser of watches. Timezone offers an on-line school that's pretty cool. It won't qualify you to work on watches at the commercial level but for the hobbyist, it'll serve you well.

TimeZone Watch School

They offer two difference courses - each one is $50. The tools including an ETA movement for each course runs around $350-$400 for each class depending on the options. If you're into watches, it's a cheap price to pay and a great way to get into the hobby at a different level.

Oh - I also purchased an inexpensive jeweler's bench. It didn't take me too long to realize that comfort plays a large role in working on watches.

If nothing else, download their glossary here. The information is simply amazing...and for the KLR guys, the price is right. Free.

My goal is to be able to take a hand wound or automatic watch, strip it down, clean it, lub it and reassemble it. I want to have the skill to perform simple repairs and eventually, I'll buy an electronic timer. I'd also like to have enough skills to case a movement and maybe design and produce my own dial.

I can't help but wonder why watches don't fascinate more folks - I can't imagine a more perfect engine! The first time you start taking apart a movement, it's easy to be intimidated but as you slowly remove part after part, you start to appreciate the beauty of it. When you remove your loupe or, as in my case, the Optivisor, you'll be even more amazed at the size of the tiny parts - the scale is hard to believe.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #1221
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
TZ can get a little snobby sometimes. I used to visit PMWF a lot.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #1222
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
I owned a Rolex GMT for years and now regret selling it. Truly a great watch that can really take a beating. I'll replace it in the next few years.

Several have made comments about the price they paid for their watch versus what that watch costs now. I sold my Rolex several years ago for what basically what I paid for it around 1993. I'll ignore inflation and opportunity costs of course.

This should interest you-

http://www.minus4plus6.com/PriceEvolution.htm
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:47 PM   #1223
supercreep

Oddometer: 1,377
bump for a cool thread, and a new (old) watch: heuer autavia, 11630, caliber 12

supercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #1224
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,532
I can't believe this question hasn't been asked yet. It looks like the new President is a watch man. What has he been wearing on his wrist? Didn't look like a Timex to me.

The watch seemed to have a large face with large numbers, that's all I could make out.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #1225
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
I can't believe this question hasn't been asked yet. It looks like the new President is a watch man. What has he been wearing on his wrist? Didn't look like a Timex to me.

The watch seemed to have a large face with large numbers, that's all I could make out.
Google leads to this:

Barack Obama wears a black Jorg Gray 6500 Series Chronograph. The watch was presented to Obama on his 46th birthday in August 2007 by his Secret Service detail, who purchased the watch from the Secret Service store in Washington, D.C.

Jorg Gray 6500

But I also found this:

Barack's watch appears to be a Chopard Gran Turismo XL - with a varied strap.
http://www.swissluxury.com/chopard-w...turismo-xl.htm
Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #1226
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,532
Thanks. So much for the large numbers, I guess I'll never make a good witness :-).
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #1227
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli
Thanks. So much for the large numbers, I guess I'll never make a good witness :-).
I kept digging, see above, I edited my post to include a Chopard, which does indeed have big numbers.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #1228
nofate
what blackflies?

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Google leads to this:

Barack Obama wears a black Jorg Gray 6500 Series Chronograph. The watch was presented to Obama on his 46th birthday in August 2007 by his Secret Service detail, who purchased the watch from the Secret Service store in Washington, D.C.

Jorg Gray 6500

But I also found this:

Barack's watch appears to be a Chopard Gran Turismo XL - with a varied strap.
http://www.swissluxury.com/chopard-w...turismo-xl.htm
Obama's watch probably has more gizmos than a James Bond watch if the Secret Service gave it to him.

Flying with Rick float plane video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6my0FM9F_Q
nofate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #1229
seriousracer
be a man dodge tree bark

Oddometer: 7,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercreep

was just offered one of these 1969 Heuer Autavia with history,,, it was given to the lead mechanic of Bruce Mcclearans 1969 can am championship. I just gave him the poconno pole position plates back, i found them in my storage closet from when he was my boss. is it worth 2000.00 ? he knows i always wanted that watch...

be a man dodge tree bark!

We’ve said it before, but it bears repeating; the GS handles in ways a two-story building was never meant to.

Taking collections for Faye Butler Training please spare some change.

www.kmotorwerks.com

Remember red and yellow make orange.so to think orange is better means you have to use two steps to get there.
________
seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #1230
Jungle Jim OP
buckle up buttercup

Oddometer: 9,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercreep

That. is a cool watch

Jungle Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread