Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 299 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #1321
The_Commander
The Man.

Oddometer: 5,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercreep

Very nice. And without the "rice" strap, which I never really cared for.
The_Commander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #1322
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 18,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercreep
and my beater o&w...
Nice - I think that O&W's are a great value in watches with an excellent history. My beater is an ID 3066 with the yellow face.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #1323
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
Last gun show I saw a guy selling a rather interesting Breitling. It looked like a military watch, had a simple automatic movement, and was on an OD strap which looked standard. My question is this, was there a issue Breitling in the UK or some other European country? It was about a 43~44mm case, brushed stainless, and had a dark green or maybe black face. White hands and luminos markers and inserts in the hands. Standard looking military watch design. Had the Breitling script on the face and case back. Didn't write the model number down....dang it! He was selling it for $450.00...seemed like a kick ass deal but could have been fake so I passed.....
Old 02-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #1324
Sniper X
De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer: 33,300
My Sector which I love. Wearing it today...

Old 02-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #1325
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Stupid Question

I just got my first mechanical watch about two months ago. Is it supposed to rattle when I shake it? Is that the auto-wind doing it's thing or is something wrong?

I'm a watch Noob.
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #1326
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer: 14,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley
I just got my first mechanical watch about two months ago. Is it supposed to rattle when I shake it? Is that the auto-wind doing it's thing or is something wrong?

I'm a watch Noob.
Stop shaking it if you want it to keep good time. The rotor (the weight that rotates with wrist movement and winds the spring) will rattle. Some are noisier than others. A Miyota movement rattles much more than a Seiko or an ETA movement.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #1327
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X
Last gun show I saw a guy selling a rather interesting Breitling. It looked like a military watch, had a simple automatic movement, and was on an OD strap which looked standard. My question is this, was there a issue Breitling in the UK or some other European country? It was about a 43~44mm case, brushed stainless, and had a dark green or maybe black face. White hands and luminos markers and inserts in the hands. Standard looking military watch design. Had the Breitling script on the face and case back. Didn't write the model number down....dang it! He was selling it for $450.00...seemed like a kick ass deal but could have been fake so I passed.....
Yeah, that sounds dirt cheap, but you really have to do your homework to tell the fakes from the real thing. It's also common to see vintage watches put together from mismatched parts that they found here and there.

These guys seem to know everything about military watches.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2
Old 02-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #1328
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Stop shaking it if you want it to keep good time. The rotor (the weight that rotates with wrist movement and winds the spring) will rattle. Some are noisier than others. A Miyota movement rattles much more than a Seiko or an ETA movement.

Thanks. I wasn't shaking it hard, I just noticed some rattling and wasn't sure if that was OK. I set the time on Jan. 1 and so far it has lost 22 seconds, so it seems to be keeping excellent time. It's got an ETA 2632 movement.
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #1329
k7
Ancien cyclist

Olongapo bands

I ordered an olongapo band tonight. If you aren't familiar with olongapo's, check this link.

From the page:

"During the Vietnam War, soldiers and sailors would often take R&R in the city of Olongapo located near the Subic Bay Naval Station. It was in Olongapo many Navy Divers, Seals, UDT members and Army / Marine Special forces would have watch bracelets crafted carrying custom insignias. These bracelets, now named for the city in which they were made, were a cottage industry of the natives of the city who handmade each. Bracelets were crafted for a specific Seviceman and therefore each is found w/ a unique set of insignias. Most often these bracelets are found attatched to a Benrus Type I dive watch (as above), though they are found on many others as well - from original pairings to unlikely current partners. One of the objectives for this specific page is to show the many variations found on these bracelets - below are examples i've found / seen in our online collecting community."

I'll attach this to the new Kingston or my O&W. I'll have the USAF emblem on one side and a variation of the US seal on the other.

We're lucky - there's a guy in the PI who apparently has someone that makes these for him and is on the MWR forum. They're definitely not for everyone - they're an acquired taste I guess.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #1330
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
I ordered an olongapo band tonight. If you aren't familiar with olongapo's, check this link.

From the page:

"During the Vietnam War, soldiers and sailors would often take R&R in the city of Olongapo located near the Subic Bay Naval Station. It was in Olongapo many Navy Divers, Seals, UDT members and Army / Marine Special forces would have watch bracelets crafted carrying custom insignias. These bracelets, now named for the city in which they were made, were a cottage industry of the natives of the city who handmade each. Bracelets were crafted for a specific Seviceman and therefore each is found w/ a unique set of insignias. Most often these bracelets are found attatched to a Benrus Type I dive watch (as above), though they are found on many others as well - from original pairings to unlikely current partners. One of the objectives for this specific page is to show the many variations found on these bracelets - below are examples i've found / seen in our online collecting community."

I'll attach this to the new Kingston or my O&W. I'll have the USAF emblem on one side and a variation of the US seal on the other.

We're lucky - there's a guy in the PI who apparently has someone that makes these for him and is on the MWR forum. They're definitely not for everyone - they're an acquired taste I guess.
That is a great link! Definitely not for mainstream tastes, but dang...This is pretty friggin badass.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:50 AM   #1331
k7
Ancien cyclist

Yep - they weren't limited to Seals either. I wouldn't under any circumstances wear one that had 'seals' on it anyway... way too much respect for them.

I do recall seeing them when I was in the USAF from guys who had cycled through the PI. That was well over 30-years ago and I never knew the history behind them or where they came from. At 18 or 19, you don't get any appreciation for the history of these.

I wouldn't say they're gaining in popularity now - they're definitely not for everyone and I'm not sure I can pull it off. We'll see how it looks when it's finished.

The guy in the PI will take just about any insignia and add it to one for you.... just like they did years ago. Mine will look something like this on one side with the USAF emblem on the other.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:45 AM   #1332
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7
Yep - they weren't limited to Seals either. I wouldn't under any circumstances wear one that had 'seals' on it anyway... way too much respect for them.

Wear one? Hell noooo! You gotta walk the walk, so to say...or maybe had one given to you by said marine...who's life you saved...even then...I'm not sure I'd wear it.

Whatever it is, it's way way cooler if it's relevant to you. Yours sounds like it'd be pretty sharp. An EMT star of life is about as close as I would get.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:31 AM   #1333
k7
Ancien cyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
Whatever it is, it's way way cooler if it's relevant to you. Yours sounds like it'd be pretty sharp. An EMT star of life is about as close as I would get.

Jaffy can probably do one of those....PM me if you want his contact info.

He's also on MWR's Px. Just search for "olongapo".
Old 02-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #1334
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,286
Show Us Your Auto Winder

I think I'll need another winder soon.....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #1335
Waco
Renegade Sickle Hound

I've got a cheapo winder. It does OK with an ETA. My Seiko always seems to have a low reserve after being on the winder for a few days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: