Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #31
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Can anyone say "KLR thread hijack"??? -- Just kidding, nice job.

I've been thinking real hard on this Whelen product (#PSRASXCR), which combines does both running, brake and turn signals. Priced around $100 +/-

An interesting alternative to the dual mode hyperlites @ roughly the same price point. I would think that as good as the hyperlites are, the Whelen would outshine with: (24) LEDs for each directional turn signal and (48) for the brake. But I suppose it's dependent on the QUALITY of the LED, not the number... Added bonus, I suspect, is the fact that you could rig it up for hazard lights as well.

I'll buy one and let you all know.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:20 PM   #32
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Double-You

I've been thinking real hard on this Whelen product (#PSRASXCR), which combines does both running, brake and turn signals. Priced around $100 +/-

An interesting alternative to the dual mode hyperlites @ roughly the same price point. I would think that as good as the hyperlites are, the Whelen would outshine with: (24) LEDs for each directional turn signal and (48) for the brake. But I suppose it's dependent on the QUALITY of the LED, not the number... Added bonus, I suspect, is the fact that you could rig it up for hazard lights as well.

911EP make a similar version that is very bright. http://www.sharpsafety.com/warninglights/911ep/ls12.htm
Uses fewer, but larger LED's. Cost around $180 though.
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #33
BoxerRob
Opportunity Knocker

Oddometer: 105
big red ones

Flat out, some of these are pure cop lights. Cops know thier own kind and can be protective of the culture...a flashing ultra bright red light? Better not have any outstanding warrents.
Old 05-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #34
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerRob
Flat out, some of these are pure cop lights. Cops know thier own kind and can be protective of the culture...a flashing ultra bright red light? Better not have any outstanding warrents.
That would true if they were mounted facing to the front or side. A single one used as a brake light will be no big deal.
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:27 PM   #35
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP4
Yep, they are bright. I have one of these 3 watt LED's doing time on the LC4:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/115x-xLX3.htm
Brighter than the stock bulb and it appears to be well made from CNC'd billet. Six months of thrashing on the paint shaker and it still works. The other advantage is the brake light comes on instantly compared to a normal bulb so it attracts a bit more attention.
I had one of the red 3 watt LEDs from superbright mounted on my LC4.

It gave off as much light as the stock filament but a little different pattern. A brighter center spot but less width. I think it was as visible as stock and used less current. I was pleased as could be until a couple of weeks ago when the top aluminum part broke off from the base. It is really quite heavy and only glued to the stamped sheet metal base. $25 US for about three months riding (on and off road) was too much for me so I’m back to the old fashioned way. It might work better for those of you with less vibration on your bike and not so much dirt riding.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #36
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Double-You

WOW, that is just about the PERFECT to mount on the back edge of a KLR rack. not a bad price for full rear replacement.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #37
VIPER6
VIPER6

Oddometer: 216
I just replaced all my stock lights with LED... problem is the bike notes a drop is amperage or increase in Resistance and thinks the tail is out... turning the break on with 7 volts... this screws up my plan fo seperate brake and running lights.

Not sure how to fix this yet... any suggestions?

Maybe wire in a plate light and that will fool the computer tha tall is well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk
I assume you are using the LED in addition to the stock tail/stop light. I am also looking at something like this to enhance my stop light. What bike is it mounted on and how does the brighness of the LED module compare to the stock stop light?
VIPER6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #38
R_W
wannabe

do a search for "load resistor"

basically, a resistor across the LED to pull the same amps as stock to make the system think there is still a regular bulb there.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #39
MikeO
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,756
klm4755,

A very impressive write up - You are clearly a man to buy a used motorcycle from...

Why did you go to the trouble of improving the reflector, when the LED clearly doesn't direct any light towards it?

Did I miss something?

Mike
Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #40
R_W
wannabe

the LED he bought DID--it has side-firing elements.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:08 PM   #41
MikeO
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
the LED he bought DID--it has side-firing elements.
Nope - don't think so...

Mike
Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #42
R_W
wannabe

my mistake. I know SOMEONE posted one with side-firing leds
Old 06-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #43
MK_GS

Oddometer: 651
Just called VLS to see if I could just walk in and pick one up (they are just down the road from me).

Got the 3rd degree from Mrs. VLS owner and then Mr. VLS owner. They seemed quite concerned I'd have this facing forward, or use it to somehow emulate a cop, or scare kittens or something.

They finally said I could buy one. Apparently Whelen also makes a light specifically for tail/brake light use, but Mr. and Mrs. VLS owner agreed with the statement that the TIR3 is brighter. I suspect it is also smaller - being ideal for tucking in somewhere on the back of a bike and this is 1/3 the price of the authentic BMW brakelight...

Thanks for the heads up. Anybody wants one of these it might be easiest to just order off the website and avoid the pleasure of having your motives questioned by the owners.
MK_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:43 PM   #44
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Oddometer: 549
so far so good...

Its been two weeks with the 500 Series TIR6 LED cluster light connected to the brake light. The local LEO's here in Gainesville GA. have seen it at night. No complaints, so far. Took my riding skills test today, nothing (negative) was said about it.

MVT
aardschok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 12:55 PM   #45
klm4755
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
The reflector material does assist abit on the sides. The tail assembly housing does not need the full coverage as I applied.
Keithm
klm4755 is offline   Reply With Quote