Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2007, 07:05 PM   #61
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgsnw
I'm not aardschok (and don't play him on television), and will say that the TIR3 is plenty bright.
+1

The TIR 3 is brighter than the other version with more, but smaller LED's.
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 10:52 PM   #62
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Oddometer: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkreig
aardschok you almost imply the thing is TOO bright.

If you were to do it all again would you get the 500 again ... or go down a notch to the 3 LED TIR3 which only has 3 LEDs and assumablly a slightly lower light output ... ?
Sometimes, I think the 500 TiR6 light IS too bright. Such as when I see in my mirror at a stop light at night, people shielding thier eyes in the car behind me,... at least they see me. But that's just sometimes.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:26 AM   #63
MK_GS

Oddometer: 651
The TIR 3 is plenty bright.

If you are mounting it with the LEDs in a horizontal line you need to be aware of its axis relative to traffic, though- if it is not mounted with its face vertical, the brightest light could be too high for people following, then it looks pretty normal.

Mounted that way, the dispersion is very good left to right - meaning if you only have a surface that is sloped to mount it on, I'd mount it vertically to take advantage of its dispersion on that axis.

I fiddled with a sloped mounting base for a while to get a good angle on the back of my bike since the mudguard I mounted it on is sloped.

MK_GS screwed with this post 07-12-2007 at 09:33 AM
MK_GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #64
markgsnw OP
WTF?

Oddometer: 3,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardschok
Sometimes, I think the 500 TiR6 light IS too bright. Such as when I see in my mirror at a stop light at night, people shielding thier eyes in the car behind me,... at least they see me. But that's just sometimes.

if they flip their welding helmet down, then it might be too bright

2011 Moto Guzzi Norge 8V GT
markgsnw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 08:15 AM   #65
Verndog
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
When people stop rear ending bikes. Because they didnt see it. It'll stop being a problem . I,m just about sold on that long tail light turn signal unit. Whelen PSRASXCR. Mounted to the center rack. Its $117. Anyone get one yet. Or am I going to be the guinea pig..
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 PM   #66
blitzkreig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK_GS
The TIR 3 is plenty bright.

If you are mounting it with the LEDs in a horizontal line you need to be aware of its axis relative to traffic, though- if it is not mounted with its face vertical, the brightest light could be too high for people following, then it looks pretty normal.

Mounted that way, the dispersion is very good left to right - meaning if you only have a surface that is sloped to mount it on, I'd mount it vertically to take advantage of it's dispersion on that axis.

I fiddled with a sloped mounting base for a while to get a good angle on the back of my bike since the mudguard I mounted it on is sloped.
I found a dealer who had stocked the swivel mount. Not particularly cheap ... but I was aware of the importance of getting the thing aimed correctly. Should be in the mail tomorrow so I will post again once I get the thing mounted.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #67
blitzkreig
Studly Adventurer

OK so my LIN3 arrived and I have installed it using the swivel mount. Looks slick.

And WOW is it bright!

Great value!

So now I have to buy a couple more for the other bikes ...
Old 07-04-2007, 08:07 PM   #68
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Pics???

Quote:
OK so my LIN3 arrived and I have installed it using the swivel mount. Looks slick.

And WOW is it bright!

Great value!

So now I have to buy a couple more for the other bikes ...
Wondering if you could post some pics; Also, does anyone have computer issues with their bike when an aux. lighting system is installed?? I just bought an 07 1200GS and heard that there may be computer issues with after market LED installs...
Thanks in Advance!!
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:58 AM   #69
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankgs
Wondering if you could post some pics; Also, does anyone have computer issues with their bike when an aux. lighting system is installed?? I just bought an 07 1200GS and heard that there may be computer issues with after market LED installs...
Thanks in Advance!!
As an auxillary, no. As a replacement, you would lose the bulb monitoring aspect of the computer, from what I have read. That being said, this last 9000 mile trip I had to stop on the side of the road twice and wait for a tow truck. Once for me running out of gas and once when my wife's bike broke down. The hazard lights will not drag the battery down if they are LED, so I am switching them out. Both times were daytime, so no big deal. Had I been stuck on the side of the road at night, I would have wanted the hazards going the whole time I waited.
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:40 PM   #70
blitzkreig
Studly Adventurer

This is the LIN3 version ... which has a clear lens.

I sprang for the pricey swivel bracket ...

I think the 3 is plenty bright for something so small, at night it is VERY bright ... so I am pleased with the whole set up.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #71
blitzkreig
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo Gadget
As an auxillary, no. As a replacement, you would lose the bulb monitoring aspect of the computer, from what I have read.
Some replacement kits do have load simulators of some sort to mimic the original bulb so the computer monitor works ...

But I prefer the auxiliary aspect better than bulb replacement.

The draw from this little Whelen light is negligible ... and you can stick it nearly anywhere.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:33 AM   #72
porterdog
untitled

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
The draw from this little Whelen light is negligible ...
I measured mine when I first got it- 400mA peak, 120mA continuous.

And, as previously mentioned... bright as hell.
porterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:03 PM   #73
MikeN
Ridemaster

Oddometer: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterdog
You can set it up as dual intensity, but you do it with wiring and not the built in circuitry of the lamp module.

You'll have two power leads running to the +12V lead of the Whelen.
Line one is for the running light, and includes a resistor to reduce the voltage that the Whelen sees when the running light line is hot. I also included a diode to prevent flow the other direction when the other line is hot.

Line two is the brake, and is full bike voltage. Just choose a resistor that gives you the intensity you're looking for. Can't remember what I used, but I went for dimmer as opposed to brighter as I like a *big* step up in brightness when I hit the brakes.

Not my idea, incidentally- cribbed it from one of the bike forums.
Doing this, you can't have a separate pattern for each though, correct? So for running lights, do you have a pattern setup at all? Ideally, I'd like constant on for running light, and a pattern for brake.
MikeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:06 PM   #74
porterdog
untitled

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeN
Doing this, you can't have a separate pattern for each though, correct? So for running lights, do you have a pattern setup at all? Ideally, I'd like constant on for running light, and a pattern for brake.
With my current setup, you're correct and I use 'steady burn' for both. I was thinking about it the other day though, and I could have taken the brake switch hot off of the flasher output and gotten brake flash that way. (My turn signals are LED as well, so I used an LED-compatible flasher).
porterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 AM   #75
MK_GS

Oddometer: 651
That swivel mount is slick. I wish I'd known about it - I was sanding and filing and cussing (kept getting plastic bits in my beer).

If Whelen read online forums, I bet for a minimal cost they could change the programming of the board to give us solid for running, and use the lead that currently changes flash programming to trigger a 4 quick flash, 4 slow flash, then solid program for brake light usage.

Since the other LED tail lights out there are ridiculously expensive and the Whelen is economical and well built, they'd own the market.

Glad you guys pointed this thing out to me. I like having a red backup light on my bike for night reverse maneuvers....
MK_GS is offline   Reply With Quote