Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2007, 06:18 PM   #76
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
I just mounted a TIR3 on the back of my tdm for a brake light. It is very bright, but it is very directional, like a flashlight. You must aim it for best effect. I mounted a pushbutton so I can cycle through the different light patterns. I am very happy with this unit.
djg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 11:10 PM   #77
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg
I just mounted a TIR3 on the back of my tdm for a brake light. It is very bright, but it is very directional, like a flashlight. You must aim it for best effect. I mounted a pushbutton so I can cycle through the different light patterns. I am very happy with this unit.
If anyone else is thinking of going this route, you might consider the LIN3 instead of the TIR3. Google has some videos availalbe, mostly from the street racer/20" subwoofer crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXvbidi3pY
Old 07-22-2007, 11:33 PM   #78
Norm12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I recently installed the Whelen PSRASXCR light and it is just great! It fits nicely under the trunk on a fabricated angle bracket which is secured to two of the bolts which anchor the Givi trunk mount.

I really like the combination stop/tail/amber turn signal combination. It is 11 1/2" long and 1 3/8" high so easy to mount.

I added a bit of length to the wires so that they will plug into the harness under the seat and grounded to the ground bolt ahead of the battery under the seat.

The original license light was removed and replaced by a modular license light mounted on an "L" bracket which is bolted through the two mounting bolt holes for the original tail light. The license plate bracket has been moved and bolted through the fender so that the plate covers the original tail light cavity.

Much more visible and the plate is no longer covered by dirt and my HT rack cross brace.

A super modification.

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
WOW, that is just about the PERFECT to mount on the back edge of a KLR rack. not a bad price for full rear replacement.

Norm12 screwed with this post 07-22-2007 at 11:40 PM
Norm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #79
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Welcome to the board Norm12.

As a new member, you're probably unaware of some of those minor forum rules and whatnot. In specific, when you have a new gizmo, gadget, or whatchamacallit you're honor bound to take a photo and post it for the rest of us.

I suggested the stripelite earlier on in this thread, but after actually taking a tape measure to the back of my 650gs, discovered it wouldn't work w/o a rear rack or top case. I'd love to see what it looks like installed and operational.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:01 AM   #80
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

See-Double-You,
Thanks for the video link. I am considering getting two amber LIN3s to mount on my mirrors as front turn signals. I have seen mirror mounted signals on many GM SUVs, and the Suzuki GSX-R1000 on the cover of Motorcyclist magazine, May '05 has mirror mounted signals. I think this would be very visible.

Right now, I am waiting for two amber TIR3s I bought on ebay. I am going to mount them facing forward along with two auxiliary driving lights, with a switch for night/day/off. Amber TIR3s daytime, aux lights at night as needed.
I have read Wisconsin and Minnesota vehicle lighting laws, and I believe this is acceptable. Will post results.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:44 AM   #81
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg
See-Double-You,
Thanks for the video link. I am considering getting two amber LIN3s to mount on my mirrors as front turn signals. I have seen mirror mounted signals on many GM SUVs, and the Suzuki GSX-R1000 on the cover of Motorcyclist magazine, May '05 has mirror mounted signals. I think this would be very visible.

Right now, I am waiting for two amber TIR3s I bought on ebay. I am going to mount them facing forward along with two auxiliary driving lights, with a switch for night/day/off. Amber TIR3s daytime, aux lights at night as needed.
I have read Wisconsin and Minnesota vehicle lighting laws, and I believe this is acceptable. Will post results.
Was thinking somewhat along a similar vain. I think the lightheads are a little large to be using on a mirror. They look to me to be about the size of a snickers candy bar. You might take a look at some of the flexible LEDs over at custom dynamics.

A LIN or TIR on top of a light bar might be nice for 24/7 operation, since the current draw would be very small compared to two 55w bulbs. Using something like the signal dynamics turn signal/running light module, the leds could be dual function. On all the time, except when indicating a turn, at which point one would go blinky.

I'd be interested to see if it'd be possible to use the 'highbeam flash' button to mometarily trigger one of the built in dim-BRIGHT-dim-BRIGHT flash modes on the lighthead. Kinda of a "hey, motorcyclist here, I've got the right-of-way" visual notice.

I have so many planned projects, that this one is at the bottom of the list; something to think about, experiment w/ over the winter.

I'm mostly concerned, at the moment, with being rear ended. I recently saw another rider who had the Brake! brand light installed. It looks good. Very VIBRANT, and attention getting. I'll be putting one on in short order. Simple, effective, a "clean" design, and not too bad on the wallet either.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:56 AM   #82
jskene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Before you buy a replacement brake light, check to be sure that it is compatible with the BMW CAN-bus as well as the new firmware that now sends power to the brake light all the time. Many systems are not compatible with this new feature, including the BRAKE! light.

jskene screwed with this post 07-29-2007 at 08:09 AM
jskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 PM   #83
blitzkreig
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Double-You
Was thinking somewhat along a similar vain. I think the lightheads are a little large to be using on a mirror. They look to me to be about the size of a snickers candy bar.
Pretty close in size to a snickers bar ... perhaps a bit shorter but a tiny bit thicker.

But for a forward shooting location ... plenty bright. Plenty ...

Now that I have used mine on a trip ... I will be buying more for brake lights for my other bikes. Can't beat the price / performance.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #84
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

A couple of days ago the guy stopped behind me actually put his sun visor down until I let off the brake (red TIR3). Could this light lead to road rage?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:17 AM   #85
GoGo Gadget
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg
See-Double-You,
Thanks for the video link. I am considering getting two amber LIN3s to mount on my mirrors as front turn signals.
HyperLite makes an amber version for turn signals. Might want those instead. They are not as bright, but much smaller and more suitable for that application I would think.
http://www.hyperlites.com/R11RT_turn_signal.html
GoGo Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:13 AM   #86
Swashplate
50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,196
Question Whelen swivel mount bracket???Where to buy????

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkreig
I found a dealer who had stocked the swivel mount. Not particularly cheap ... but I was aware of the importance of getting the thing aimed correctly. Should be in the mail tomorrow so I will post again once I get the thing mounted.

so where did you find the swivel mount bracket?????
Old 07-30-2007, 05:44 AM   #87
jskene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg
A couple of days ago the guy stopped behind me actually put his sun visor down until I let off the brake (red TIR3). Could this light lead to road rage?
This is a potential problem with extremely bright brake lights.

On my P3 Lights, the brake light intensity comes on a full force for the first 5 seconds, then the microcontroller gradually reduces the brake light intensity down to 55% of the maximum. I found this to be a good compromise between super-bright brake lights and not annoying the driver stopped behind you.

The extremely bright brake lights combined with the 4/4 flashing sequence is definitely an attention getter, as is the unique modulated tail light function.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #88
djg
Gnarly Adventurer

jskene and gogogadget, thanks for info on alternatives LEDs.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #89
Norm12
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I don't know how to post a photo here but would be happy to do so if someone will explain.

Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Double-You
Welcome to the board Norm12.

As a new member, you're probably unaware of some of those minor forum rules and whatnot. In specific, when you have a new gizmo, gadget, or whatchamacallit you're honor bound to take a photo and post it for the rest of us.

I suggested the stripelite earlier on in this thread, but after actually taking a tape measure to the back of my 650gs, discovered it wouldn't work w/o a rear rack or top case. I'd love to see what it looks like installed and operational.
Norm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #90
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm12
I don't know how to post a photo here but would be happy to do so if someone will explain.

Norm
How to sticky: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=919

There is an additional way of posting photos, but it requires that you have a hosting service of some type. I like to use photolava.com for simple images; ebay/flea market listings... Many folks like to keep digital photo albums, and Smugmug is pretty cool for that.

If that's an option for you, just clicky on the picture icon above the text box. A pop up will ask for the URL, then copy and paste.