50 MSL & 150 KTS

Oddometer: 1,178
KTM950 pics LIN-3

Old 08-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #92
Dragonfly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Hyperlights

Last weekend I was driving in a busy town center ( montreal ) and I was following a guy on his Honda something.. He had those aux. brake lights installed and it did a GREAT job. Bright Sunny day and you couldn't miss him. His lights had a pulse and I foung it very efficient. It happends he was going to Moto International and I ask what he had on. They dont look very big but they sure do the job. I'm ordering a couple of set for your bikes.
Dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:36 PM   #93
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,366
Part of my job is installing these lights into LEO and Fire Service rigs. I have been seriously considering buying one of these lights for a tail light and probably will now. I would definitely recommend the LIN3 as opposed to the TIR3 because the LIN3 optics are designed to spread the light out more. The TIR3 lights are extremely directional. The TIR3 comes in 2 versions also. One for horizontal and one for vertical. The LIN only comes in a horizontal version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg
A couple of days ago the guy stopped behind me actually put his sun visor down until I let off the brake (red TIR3). Could this light lead to road rage?
That is so funny. I have been rolling reading thru this thread.

I had been experimenting with them and my coworkers and I were all concerned about the brightness to someone sitting behind me. These generation 3 LEDs are so bright that the LEOs are complaining they can not follow too close to another patrol car on a night chase or they get blinded.

They might not be so offensive if they are slightly tilted down. You can also tone them down by lowering the voltage but the red ones seem to stay pretty bright even as the voltage is reduced.

The best pictures to indicate just how bright they are were the ones of the inside of the garage. The close up pictures do not do them justice.

Google for Sirennet for the best prices. I am not sure if you can buy from them as a private citizen. Check it out.

Later, MasterMarine
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #94
Arby60
Bluegrass Rider

Oddometer: 216
I have 2 Whelen 700 Series LED Lightheads (120 LED's) that will fit the openings on the mounting plate on my 2002 R1150RT-P where strobes were mounted when the unit was in official service. Specs. for the lights state that the input current is .125 AMPS each for tail lights, and .7 AMPS each for brake lights.
The folks at Whelen told me that 1.4 AMPS when the brakes are applied would not interfere with the bike's electrical system. I am still not confident enough to use them and would like input from folks like you who understand BMW motorcycle systems. My bike has ABS, but not CANBUS. Do you think I could safely wire these lights into the existing tail/brake light wiring as supplemental lights? Thanks for any comments you can offer.

Ray
Arby60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #95
jskene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
You would probably be safe wiring the LEDs into your tail/brake light wires. I doubt that the extra current will blow anything out, certainly not the relatively small current for the tail light. The brake light current is quite high for an LED though. I have heard that BMW brake switches are not designed to carry a lot of extra current, so this might be a problem area.

If you really want to use the light, you could wire them through a relay. Connect the brake wire to one side of the relay coil and ground the other coil wire. Connect one lead of the relay main contact through a 5 Amp fuse to the battery. Connect the other relay contact to the + side of the LED. Ground the other side of the LED. (It would be a good idea to put a diode across the relay coil to protect your bike's electrical system from the voltage spike generated by the relay opening.)
Old 08-04-2007, 07:40 AM   #96
R_W
wannabe

Oddometer: 4,126
or change the main tailbulb for a drop-in LED. the three LED's combined would be about the same as the original halogen bulb.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:41 PM   #97
aardschok
Fallout Rider

Oddometer: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine
Part of my job is installing these lights into LEO and Fire Service rigs. I have been seriously considering buying one of these lights for a tail light and probably will now. I would definitely recommend the LIN3 as opposed to the TIR3 because the LIN3 optics are designed to spread the light out more. The TIR3 lights are extremely directional. The TIR3 comes in 2 versions also. One for horizontal and one for vertical. The LIN only comes in a horizontal version.

That is so funny. I have been rolling reading thru this thread.

I had been experimenting with them and my coworkers and I were all concerned about the brightness to someone sitting behind me. These generation 3 LEDs are so bright that the LEOs are complaining they can not follow too close to another patrol car on a night chase or they get blinded.

They might not be so offensive if they are slightly tilted down. You can also tone them down by lowering the voltage but the red ones seem to stay pretty bright even as the voltage is reduced.

The best pictures to indicate just how bright they are were the ones of the inside of the garage. The close up pictures do not do them justice.

Google for Sirennet for the best prices. I am not sure if you can buy from them as a private citizen. Check it out.

Later, MasterMarine
Lights on:

OEM Brake light only:

Whelen 500 Series TIR6 LED light:

http://www.whelen.com/details_prod.p...72&prod_id=139

MVT

aardschok screwed with this post 08-04-2007 at 09:47 PM
aardschok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #98
R_W
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardschok
Whelen 500 Series TIR6 LED light:

that is an "eye of god" WOW, maybe a bit of overkill
Old 08-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #99
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 10,386
I installed the LIN3 on my R1150GS today. Looks good, works great. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 PM   #100
R_W
wannabe

OK, I busted ANOTHER foglight/conspicuousity light.

Will the clear one hold up to mounting on barkbusters?

LIN or TIR better for aux lights?
Old 08-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #101
Jarvis
DC GSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarvis
I installed the LIN3 on my R1150GS today. Looks good, works great. Thanks for the heads up.

Just checked it out in the parking garage by hanging my helmet on the brake pedal and walking back 50 or so feet ... holy shit this is BRIGHT. Maybe too much even. I had after-images of the LEDs floating around in my eyes for a while.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:36 PM   #102
See-Double-You
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
OK, I busted ANOTHER foglight/conspicuousity light.

Will the clear one hold up to mounting on barkbusters?

LIN or TIR better for aux lights?
I posted this youtube video link on page 6. You'll notice that the LIN has a much wider viewing angle than the TIR, although the TIR is much brighter from straight on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXvbidi3pY
Old 08-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #103
R_W
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by See-Double-You
I posted this youtube video link on page 6. You'll notice that the LIN has a much wider viewing angle than the TIR, although the TIR is much brighter from straight on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGXvbidi3pY

Thanks, missed the link the first time around.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #104
R_W
wannabe

Wiring question

What did you guys do with the sync and mode wires?

Did you just tape them up? or did you run a momentary switch for the mode wire?

I just had another idea. I am going to install a pair of white LIN3's as conspicousity lights. If I could trigger them to strobe flash when I hit the horn and then go back to clear that would be awesome
Old 08-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #105
Jarvis
DC GSer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_W
What did you guys do with the sync and mode wires?

Did you just tape them up? or did you run a momentary switch for the mode wire?

I just had another idea. I am going to install a pair of white LIN3's as conspicousity lights. If I could trigger them to strobe flash when I hit the horn and then go back to clear that would be awesome
I cut the sync wire off flush and covered it with a bit of tape.

I ran the mode wire with the rest of them and taped it off at the end.