Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #166
bump
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Classic 1980s Honda Sport Bike Photography

Hey,
I'm not trying to be sensitive ponytail man here. But I LOVE this photograph. It has it all; 1960s THEN CAME BRONSON freedom, 1980s sport bike action, new millenium technology.
Excellent!
Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Believe it or not I can feel the difference between having that 12 pounds ( even more when the tent is wet) mounted up top in back, verses down low and in front when I'm throwing the bike back and forth through tight twisties.
When riding off road ( and I don't mean on gravel ) the lower CG the better for me, since I am on a street bike with a small front tire, though I seem to forget that more often than not.
I've not felt any unwanted steering funk when it's on. It's like it's not even there. Plus I like the way it looks...

bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #167
Tory1942
The Retired Reprobate

Oddometer: 79
Camping cup and pot

Many years ago (decades, I do believe), I figured that I would carry a can of hearty condensed soup and a can of beef stew. That was lunch and dinner. Now I had a cup to drink from and a bowl to eat the rest of my meals from. Discard properly at the end of the trip. Handles from a bent wire coat hanger, disposal ditto.

Simple and free.
Tory1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #168
Tory1942
The Retired Reprobate

Oddometer: 79
Parafin stove

Take a cat food can, or a tunafish can (wash it out good). Cut a length of corrugated cardboard to loosely fit inside the can. Melt parafin in a double boiler (NOT on the stove), and pour the liquid parafin all over the cardboard, until the can is nearly full.

The cardboard serves as a 'wick' and should last for 4-6 hours of flame. Let it cool back solid, and it packs itself. Discard the whole thing properly at the end of the trip.
Tory1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #169
Trapperjonn
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Talking Minimal and Luxury

I have two set-ups. One is minimal and one is luxury. I use luxury when I am doing some like a rally or group camp. Minimal is for trips and emergencies. I usually go minimal, but I love the luxury trips.

Minimal:
REI half dome (light and short poles)
Big Agnes air mattress filled with insulation
REI down bag
IPOD Touch (these things are too cool)
Mini stove/fuel/small silverstone fry pan
All of this stuff can fit in one pannier

Luxury (and I mean it)
Big Agnes Parkview tent (3 person - all for me)
Single aero air bed with rechargable pump (absolute comfort)
REI down bag / pillow
Kermit Chair
Entertainment system
Wet bar
Hot tub
Support Truck
Trapperjonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:45 AM   #170
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory1942
Take a cat food can, or a tunafish can (wash it out good). Cut a length of corrugated cardboard to loosely fit inside the can. Melt parafin in a double boiler (NOT on the stove), and pour the liquid parafin all over the cardboard, until the can is nearly full.

The cardboard serves as a 'wick' and should last for 4-6 hours of flame. Let it cool back solid, and it packs itself. Discard the whole thing properly at the end of the trip.
I like tinkering with different stove ideas just to see for myself. I'm definitely going to try this one out.

It seems to be the next level of old Boy scout design that used the rolled cardboard without paraffin in the tuna can and then a big #10 can with vent holes inverted over it as the windscreen/cooktop. I think the tuna can also had a row of vent holes around the bottom too.

But the paraffin version sounds good.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #171
NorthKite
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman
I just built an alcohol stove this week. Pretty cool that it actually works

Where did you get instructions for that? I looked around and there are so many different styles and kinds. I am going to build one and see what kind of luck I have with it. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:02 AM   #172
elgreen
Crotchety Contrarian

Oddometer: 436
My lightweight rig for my bike is pretty much the same as my lightweight rig when I hike, and when you gotta carry everything on your back you get light quick :). Here's what I currently have, it all fits in a Givi E45 topbag:

* Tarptent Rainbow tent + pole, diagonally across bottom of bag
* six nail stakes for said tent (the only thing I can get to drive into the hard desert pavement)
* Snow Peak GigaPower isopropane stove w/piezo igniter
* Snowpeak titanium pot and cup (they nest, the lid of the pot can be used as a tiny skillet, and the isopropane canister fits into them).
* REI titanian spoon (has a long handle, good for scooping out of freeze-dried pouches)
* Coleman LED tent lantern (this is a small flat thing that takes four AA batteries and folds up into something about half the size of a wallet)
* Petzl Tikka Plus headlamp (for walking around camp at night, or setting up the tent in the dark)
* Kelty Light Year +25 down sleeping bag
* Therma-Rest Prolite-3 3/4 length air mattress
* Pocket knife, nylon twine, cigarette lighter, waterproof matches, first aid kit, fire starter cubes, etc. (basic survival gear that hopefully I don't have to use).

I sleep with my spare clothes stuffed into the stuff sack for the sleeping bag as my pillow, and toss my riding gear under my feet to keep them off the cold ground. If I expect cooler weather, I add a rolled-up blue camping pad from Wal-mart to the top of the topbox (I have the strap/rack thingy up there that Givi sells) and put that under the Therma-Rest, which also serves to keep my feet off the cold ground.

I've experimented with a lot of different stoves, tents, etc., and that's what I've arrived at over the years. It's a compromise between weight and comfort -- there's lighter gear for most of what I have, but I've tried it and decided it was too inconvenient, too uncomfortable, too difficult to set up, whatever. Your own mileage may vary, and you may put the comfort-weight tradeoff at a different place, using a tarp and bug netting rather than a tent for less weight, or using a full 2-man dome tent for better protection from wind and blowing rain. In the end you have to make these tradeoffs for yourself. Have fun!
Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 AM   #173
CROM
Canuck del sur

Oddometer: 359
My lightweight "no frills" setup for 3 days of camping. No cooking gear...tuna, Lanjaeger sausage, and beer!

2009 990 ADV
CROM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #174
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CROM
My lightweight "no frills" setup for 3 days of camping. No cooking gear...tuna, Lanjaeger sausage, and beer!
Like the sticker!
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 09:54 PM   #175
Kevreif
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 433
for good lightweight camping gear

for lightweight gear check this site out http://www.vargooutdoors.com/

Brain Vargo is the owner (nice guy), he lives in my home town, i like going into his store here in Lewisburg Pa. its mostly backpack stuff but it all works for camping/canoing and of course motorcycle trips! i have one of the alcohol stoves and i'm happy with it so far (though i cook over the fire mostly) this past winter on a caneo trip we found that if you put you stove under your chair it makes kind of a bun warmer. try it

PS it was 15F degrees out

nice and toasty buns!
Attached Images

Kevreif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:28 PM   #176
elgreen
Crotchety Contrarian

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevreif
fwe found that if you put you stove under your chair it makes kind of a bun warmer. try it
Uhm, no thanks. I prefer my buns to be un-scorched, thank you very much .
Old 04-27-2008, 02:56 AM   #177
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 15,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevreif
...this past winter on a caneo trip we found that if you put you stove under your chair it makes kind of a bun warmer. try it

PS it was 15F degrees out

nice and toasty buns!
Best argument yet for the Kermit leg extensions.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #178
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by YZman
.......My main camping gear consisted of a Eureka Solitare tent, Kelty Lightyear sleeping bag, and Thermarest Prolite 4 sleeping pad all packed into a Sealine 30 bag and straped to a Promotobillet rack. I also straped a rainsuit to the front edge of the rack. That was about it. Lasted 5 days off that. Granted we went into town for food and gas every day.

How do you like that Eureka Solitare Tent? I almost bought one of those but Im saving up for one of these.

http://www.eurekatent.com/p-71-alpenlite-xt.aspx

IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
My Website
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #179
Asphalt Assault
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
My camping setup includes
1 regular Jansport Back Pack & 1 regular stuff sack: less than a pound
Eureka Backcountry I Tent: 4 pounds
Thermarest & Compact Pillow: 3 pounds
Eureka Casper 15f Sleeping Bag: 2 pounds

My cooking setup is:
Stever Stove with HEET for fuel. One titanium cup.
Instant Oatmeal, Bag Tuna, Ramen Noodles, Salt, Pepper, Sugar, etc.
This whole setup is about a pound or two for a weeks supply worth of food. I get water whenever I stop for the night.

Clothing & Gear Includes:
Motoport pants & Jacket
1 Lin
2 LD Comfort Shorts
2 synthetic shirts
3 pair of Road Gear's coconut socks
Flashlight, knife and very light tools

When all said and done, I try to keep everything under 20 pounds. I use the same setup whether its just a small weekend away or a big week long trip. I would like to go lighter and go with a bivvy sack or quilt type setup, but I think the biggest thing is to find what works for you and leave it at that. I'm an avid lane splitter here in California, so absoultely despise side bags as a luggage option.

I used my hiking bag for years but ditched it for a smaller regular backpack. I found you can actually fit more in smaller packs than larger one's...or at least force them into smaller cubbies.

Two up with the lady

Stever Stove, great bang for your buck!

My wish list includes a Wiggy's Rectangle Sleeping Bag, Giant Loop Bag and small Givi Top Case to keep everything in without going any wider than my handlebars. I have heard excellent things about Wiggy's and the Giant Loop Bag setup!

Asphalt Assault screwed with this post 08-02-2010 at 02:50 PM
Asphalt Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:05 PM   #180
Rally_West
Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer: 137
Reviving old threads is like waking the dead...but I LOVE it. Got some idears for sure.