ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #271
bearforce1
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 14
Multi Fuel Lamps/ lanterns

Hey,

This place is the best information bar none.

I am going to buy an MSR multi fuel stove.

Is there an equivalent type thing for lamps / lanterns?

Thanks heaps
bearforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #272
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider
 
AteamNM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Sandia Mountains New Mexico
Oddometer: 4,047
KLR packed up on a 21 day fly & ride.


Over nighter with my dog.
AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:02 AM   #273
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer
 
mefly2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Big Sky Country
Oddometer: 1,228
Truly a best friend!
__________________
----------------> jer-
30+ years with RTs...then to F/GS; now *Finally*
the BMW: R1200GSW, factory low seat & lower crash bars;
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #274
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer
 
Callahan's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Pacific Rim
Oddometer: 1,181
Bump
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #275
MotoBoss
Bad Influence
 
MotoBoss's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Mid South Indiana
Oddometer: 3,940
Bump

Let's see some of that new Christmas stuff!
__________________
Adventure Before Dementia
MotoBossMotoBlog

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV



MotoBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #276
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider
 
AteamNM's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Sandia Mountains New Mexico
Oddometer: 4,047
All the light weight stuff I have for moto camping I'm going to load up an old Kelty Pike's Peak backpack and do an over nighter. I think I can get the pack down to 25 - 28 pounds. I think I can manage about 5 miles or more in a day and plan for a 10ish mile loop around a lake?

Next thing you know I will be Geo Caching.

My bike has trimmed down now. Picture from a 4 day camping trip.

AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #277
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Orlando Florida
Oddometer: 950
Then and now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
I decided I wanted to travel ultralight. I already have a reasonably light bike at 299lbs (04 625SMC) and have no reason to add hard cases and the like. I use this thing as a dirt bike half the time. I have the pro moto billet rack on its way. On it; A Eureka Backcountry Solo Tent at about 3.5lbs. Ultralight Sleeping Bag 2 lbs, Thermorest 1.5lbs, alcohol stove and alcohol, about 3 oz., titanum pot,?, plastic water cups and bowls, 2oz, Candle lantern 8oz along with another dry bag with clothes and a backpack with tools, water, food, flashlight, etc.

Has anyone have a similar setup with some pics?
Well alot has changed since 2007. Still have my little tent. I like it when I am doing a couple day run. For longer trips now (and on a 950 adventure) I have the Redverz tent. Yep, its got some weight to it but when its raining and I set it up with the dry foyer and being able to stand up in it, its worth the weight. I have a thermarest (now) cot. Love it, well worth the price. I also use a thermarest pad on it and a lightweight down bag. I have the Giant Loop bags small propane stove with the ultralight kit and freeze dried food. It all fits in the bags nicely and I dig the soft luggage. I have the crash bar bags which hold my tire change stuff and actually an amazing amount of items.

Last item I need to purchase is a lightweight chair and make a small table out of aluminum that mounts on my rear rack and I will be set.

I will post pics if I can ...

5 speed screwed with this post 01-04-2015 at 05:59 PM
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #278
Slobert
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Federal Way, Wa
Oddometer: 35
In my twenties, I packed light indeed.


A couple bottles of water, a couple of taco bell burritos, and a jacket rolled into a tarp and strapped with my cheap sleeping bag on the rack of my XL 600. With my 6.5 gallon desert tank, my buddies and I would go everywhere like this, sleeping on a tarp, no pad no tent. if it rained I would roll the tarp over me like a burrito. We even did the Rubicon, sleeping out on the open granite slabs; something I couldn't do on my current bike or with my current body.

fast forward to now in my forties.



I have very nice light weight backpacking type equipment, I just have a lot of it, including a nice tent, cot, hammock, chair, and even a cooler with cold beverages and steak for dinner. My riding may not be as crazy, but my camp is comfortable and a great place to spend the night. I eat well and sleep well. I sometimes dream about those simple days, but quite frankly my body wouldn't hold up to the riding or the camping I did then.
Slobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:47 PM   #279
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored
 
HaChayalBoded's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: BRC \ NYC
Oddometer: 7,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
For a camp grill I use one of these. Works great and I love things that have multi purpose. Allows you to cut the wood needed for fire then cook your steak! Fits nicely in a tool tube.

http://www.upgradeinnovations.com/camp.php




How have I never noticed that, I have seen that photo 1000 times but I never looked into it. Man that is slick.

Does the grill not swing around?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 AM   #280
5 speed OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Orlando Florida
Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobert View Post
In my twenties, I packed light indeed.


A couple bottles of water, a couple of taco bell burritos, and a jacket rolled into a tarp and strapped with my cheap sleeping bag on the rack of my XL 600. With my 6.5 gallon desert tank, my buddies and I would go everywhere like this, sleeping on a tarp, no pad no tent. if it rained I would roll the tarp over me like a burrito. We even did the Rubicon, sleeping out on the open granite slabs; something I couldn't do on my current bike or with my current body.

fast forward to now in my forties.



I have very nice light weight backpacking type equipment, I just have a lot of it, including a nice tent, cot, hammock, chair, and even a cooler with cold beverages and steak for dinner. My riding may not be as crazy, but my camp is comfortable and a great place to spend the night. I eat well and sleep well. I sometimes dream about those simple days, but quite frankly my body wouldn't hold up to the riding or the camping I did then.
I hear you!!! And when you get to your 50s well, you will want all that for sure. I dont scrimp on my tent, or sleeping equipment because a good, dry nights sleep is essential (this isn't Survivor after all). I try to use the things learned from others on this site; mainly "look at everything you are going to take, then get rid of at least 25% of it). I didnt carry extra clothes beyond one pair of pants (off the bike) and a couple of shirts for 4 days. I only packed a pair of sandals rather than shoes to save weight and space and they worked out fine. I feel like carrying enough for 4 days is plenty. more than that I am sure I will refuel. I also stopped for a good lunch whereever I could so as to minimize cooking apparatus and amount of food to carry. I would carry a soft cooler that holds a six pack and my last stop at civilization each day saw me fill that puppy up and strap it on. I even splurged the last day and crammed some Ice in there as well!!!

Motocamping is the best!! I love the travel light perspective within reason. I think all my stuff together weighed about 40 pounds total. (the Redverz is like 13lbs of it). Just think, hard bags and pannier racks are around 30lbs or so empty. To be honest, on the 950 underway it was hard to tell it was all there.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #281
Slobert
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Federal Way, Wa
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed View Post
I hear you!!! And when you get to your 50s well, you will want all that for sure. I dont scrimp on my tent, or sleeping equipment because a good, dry nights sleep is essential (this isn't Survivor after all). I try to use the things learned from others on this site; mainly "look at everything you are going to take, then get rid of at least 25% of it). I didnt carry extra clothes beyond one pair of pants (off the bike) and a couple of shirts for 4 days. I only packed a pair of sandals rather than shoes to save weight and space and they worked out fine. I feel like carrying enough for 4 days is plenty. more than that I am sure I will refuel. I also stopped for a good lunch whereever I could so as to minimize cooking apparatus and amount of food to carry. I would carry a soft cooler that holds a six pack and my last stop at civilization each day saw me fill that puppy up and strap it on. I even splurged the last day and crammed some Ice in there as well!!!

Motocamping is the best!! I love the travel light perspective within reason. I think all my stuff together weighed about 40 pounds total. (the Redverz is like 13lbs of it). Just think, hard bags and pannier racks are around 30lbs or so empty. To be honest, on the 950 underway it was hard to tell it was all there.
Clothes is one of the areas to save some weight. I pack multiple layers so I can dress for the conditions, but I don't bring a bunch of extra shirts or pants. If they get dirty you can wash them. A baby wipe "bath" every night helps keep the flys away. The one area I'm still working on is hiking boots. I incorporate hiking into my motovacations and need support for my feet. Hiking boots kill a lot of space if you pack them. I tried good trail running shoes and they pack smaller but were only OK for hiking. Im trying to find a boot that can be my riding boot and hiking boot. That would be ideal.
Slobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:16 PM   #282
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored
 
HaChayalBoded's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: BRC \ NYC
Oddometer: 7,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobert View Post
Clothes is one of the areas to save some weight. I pack multiple layers so I can dress for the conditions, but I don't bring a bunch of extra shirts or pants. If they get dirty you can wash them. A baby wipe "bath" every night helps keep the flys away. The one area I'm still working on is hiking boots. I incorporate hiking into my motovacations and need support for my feet. Hiking boots kill a lot of space if you pack them. I tried good trail running shoes and they pack smaller but were only OK for hiking. Im trying to find a boot that can be my riding boot and hiking boot. That would be ideal.
I loved my Gearne Balance Oiled boots. When I rushed into my while it was burning down to get the dog and the cat I actually went for the boots too, but I couldn't see shit and started tripping over shit. Didn't want to end up dead saving a pair of boots.

By the way, I have literally walked 300 miles in em. When I do month long treks out to Black Rock City I walk around the desert in them. I figure I averaged 10 miles a day walking. Each time I'm out there for a minimum of 10 days, sometimes 2 weeks. Wore them every year for the last 3 years that I've went. I was comfy, I was not hot in the 110 days and my feet were warm and toasty during the 30-40 degree nights. Boots were on me for something like 20hrs a day on average.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #283
2 SPOT
wannabe
 
2 SPOT's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: valley of the sunstroke, AZ
Oddometer: 3,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slobert View Post
In my twenties, I packed light indeed.

A couple bottles of water, a couple of taco bell burritos, and a jacket rolled into a tarp and strapped with my cheap sleeping bag

ohh i remember those days,,, i guess cause i'm also in my 40's and still do it.

i absolutely love to stop at mcd's on the way out, grab a few sausage and egg biscuits and hit the rd, those things stay fresh (relative term here) in my jacket pockets all day.
2 SPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:20 PM   #284
Slobert
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Federal Way, Wa
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
I loved my Gearne Balance Oiled boots. When I rushed into my while it was burning down to get the dog and the cat I actually went for the boots too, but I couldn't see shit and started tripping over shit. Didn't want to end up dead saving a pair of boots.

By the way, I have literally walked 300 miles in em. When I do month long treks out to Black Rock City I walk around the desert in them. I figure I averaged 10 miles a day walking. Each time I'm out there for a minimum of 10 days, sometimes 2 weeks. Wore them every year for the last 3 years that I've went. I was comfy, I was not hot in the 110 days and my feet were warm and toasty during the 30-40 degree nights. Boots were on me for something like 20hrs a day on average.
Crazy story about going into a fire for your boots! Thanks for the tip, i'll check them out.
Slobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:23 PM   #285
Slobert
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Federal Way, Wa
Oddometer: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 SPOT View Post
ohh i remember those days,,, i guess cause i'm also in my 40's and still do it.

i absolutely love to stop at mcd's on the way out, grab a few sausage and egg biscuits and hit the rd, those things stay fresh (relative term here) in my jacket pockets all day.
Yup, fast food keeps for awhile. Bean burritos worked great because the tortilla would absorb moisture from the beans and make a sealed little pouch of protein. I'd buy a half dozen to last for the weekend. Its also amazing how good food, any food tastes after a day of dirt biking.
Slobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015