Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #61
Slappy McGee
Fatty Fat

Oddometer: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 speed
Just a quesiton, where do you get denatured alcohol? is there any other kind of alcohol that the little can stoves will run off?
Denatured alcohol just means they add what is effectively poision to it, so you can't drink it to get a buzz (the "nature" of alcohol is to make you drunk, so "de-naturing" it takes away that property). You can use any high-proof liquor to power the little stoves (151 proof rum or grain alcohol works fine) and shave even more weight by combining stove fuel and buzz fuel into one liquid. Grain alcohol doesn't taste all that bad when mixed with some koolaid or the like.
Slappy McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #62
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,382
Its common to use HEET fuel treatment for your alchohol stove. Its cheap and readily available. I carry it in an old 20oz soda bottle - wrap your homemade tin foil windscreen around the bottle and stuff it in a little sack to protect it.

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:42 AM   #63
kerhonky
Adventure Poser

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrads

Where's the bacon?!?!?

If you think I won't understand it just because you have to explain it to me, maybe it was bullshit to begin with.
kerhonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:02 PM   #64
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
I was wondering the same thing - I see pics of the Hennessy hammock and it keeping people dry in the rain, and i think - where is all their gear? How are they keeping their helmet, boots and jacket dry?
Great question. The key is if you are going lightwieght you won't have much gear. I spent many nights in my Hennesey in monsoon rains in South East Asia.

The main chord of the hammock provides a place to hang things from . This places it under the rain fly of the tarp to keep things dry. I stash my riding pants, jackets, boots, etc. over the chord at the wide end of the rain fly. Smaller items I put back into my dry sack and stash it underneath the hammock. You can also clip items to the chord both inside and outside of the hammock. Inside I keep my headlight, ipod, food and water. They also have a hanging pouch inside the hammock for these things.

Here's a pic showing my riding gear:

Not a great shot but you get the idea. Riding gear hung over the chord, most of the other clothes you are wearing, anything else packed back into the drybag.

Below: I have just finished setting up camp in the rain and taking a break underneath the rainfly in my Thermarest campchair. I was always amazed how dry underneath the rainfly was kept. I have even kept my helmet just resting on the Thermarest chair under my tarp all night with it not getting wet.

Now admittingly at age 42 this is not how I would choose to spend weeks on end and its a long way from the Beverly Hills Hotel, however as long as its under a week, it's fine.

Here's a snap the morning after, the yellow bag airing out is my Bivouc sack I sleep in with sweats and sweatshirt.

Good luck with your endeavors.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #65
smeghead
b00b

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2
I was wondering the same thing - I see pics of the Hennessy hammock and it keeping people dry in the rain, and i think - where is all their gear? How are they keeping their helmet, boots and jacket dry?
Good point, hadn't considered that - all I could think was 'bear piñata'.

The hammock think is appealing except for the tree need and emergency exit concern...
smeghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #66
CrankyCoyote
scud no more

Oddometer: 100
Question for the Ray Jardine enthusiasts:

Have you guys ever had a major medical emergency or bike failure in the field? Going ultralight is appealing, but I worry about not having enough gear to last or do what I need to do (like make a splint or keep somebody in shock warm) in the event of a serious incident.
CrankyCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #67
boyscout
sittin' down

Oddometer: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by cauldron
Deciding who will be the first up against the wall during the revolution...

boyscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #68
astro
seek light

Oddometer: 2,293
When I go for road trips with my R69S, I use a set of Aerostitch panniers for all the camping gear. . . tank bag for clothing, rain gear, & personal kit.

(Right Side)
Western Mountaineering sleeping bag 35 degree down bag
3/4 length inflatable Thermrest pad
first aid kit fits on the top
all backed in a waterproof liner bag

(Left side)
Eureka One-Man Tent, rainfly & ground cloth
Poles for same are < 12 inches long fit in the panniers with tent

Flashlight, pen and knife fit in the panniers' pockets.

Tankbag for clothes and rain gear

When the panniers and tank bag are loaded on, it makes a great wind break for making time down the road. Once you're camped the panniers come off for rides.

Works for me.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #69
Fenrir
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Tarp Camping

I noticed that some people said they use a tarp. I've been looking for some information on tarp camping with the bike. I've heard that you shouldn't tie your tarp to your bike because it can blow over. Any tips or experiences would be appreciated, also what kind of tarp do you use?
Fenrir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:51 PM   #70
bykpimp
Live and let ride

Oddometer: 1,408
Talk about packing light!! I'm digging the light bike NSR150 me thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
I do some remote mountain camping on the motorbikes. All I bring is:

Hennesey Hammock
Bivy sack
Thermarest w/chair
Camelback full of water
Ipod
Clothes to sleep in
Food is pre cooked (rice, jerky, well done pork, etc) so no need for stoves, pots and such.

Not sure what it wieghs but its not much. Here are a couple of pics for an idea.

This is how its packed, hardly takes any space.

This is what it looks like unpacked. Home sweet home for traveling light.
bykpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #71
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy
Its common to use HEET fuel treatment for your alchohol stove. Its cheap and readily available. I carry it in an old 20oz soda bottle - wrap your homemade tin foil windscreen around the bottle and stuff it in a little sack to protect it.
Wouldn't it be easier and safer to keep it in the new, unopened HEET bottle it was sold in?
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #72
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT jim
Funny ad. for Ursack. Bear don't eat what's inside . But sure must be smashed enough to make soup.
Yeah but I'd rather have smashed food than no food at all. JMHO

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 01:16 AM   #73
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scud
Question for the Ray Jardine enthusiasts:

Have you guys ever had a major medical emergency or bike failure in the field? Going ultralight is appealing, but I worry about not having enough gear to last or do what I need to do (like make a splint or keep somebody in shock warm) in the event of a serious incident.
I bring all the 10 essentials, including a first aid kit, whenever I'm in the wilderness. Make a splint? Make it from branches or whatever you can find. Do you actually carry splint making material when you camp? Keep somebody warm to keep from going into shock? Put them in their warm clothes and sleeping bag (or quilt) under the tarp.

Canis meus id comedit.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:23 AM   #74
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir
I noticed that some people said they use a tarp. I've been looking for some information on tarp camping with the bike. I've heard that you shouldn't tie your tarp to your bike because it can blow over. Any tips or experiences would be appreciated, also what kind of tarp do you use?
I've used various tarps from "tube tents" (a plastic tarp made into a tube) to "space blankets" to sylnylon. Sylnylon is great, very light weight, but it isn't real durable so you have to be careful with it.

I've tied tarps to many things including my bike, a picnic table, a hiking staff and of course, trees. If it was blowing real hard and I had a light bike I'd be concerned about tipping over my bike. Otherwise, you gotta use what the environment gives you.

Canis meus id comedit.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:14 AM   #75
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_
Wouldn't it be easier and safer to keep it in the new, unopened HEET bottle it was sold in?
I don't think the HEET bottles have screw tops which makes them less secure in the chance of the top getting pryed off. I've been using the same Pepsi bottle for 4yrs now and have not had any problems, fairly tough bottles by nature. I also wrap a good lenth of duct tape around the middle of the bottle as it makes a good storage space on the PepsiCo bottles.

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote