User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
Pwnzilla OP
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Oddometer: 230
CRF230F Dualsport Conversion Successful - All Mods Detailed

In 2011 I bought a new left-over 2009 Honda CRF230F. I fell in love with this bike. In my mind it's the best all-around trail bike available. Taking cost, cost of ownership, ease of mods, dependability, and fun factor into account.

I rode this bike for a couple seasons off road and had a blast. I decided that since I like this bike so much that I'd try to do the dual sport conversion. I live in PA and I read up on the local requirements for a street conversion and it didn't look too hard. I'll detail all the paperwork and processes at the end of the post.

I wanted to share everything I've done to this bike so others can enjoy this fantastic air cooled thumper.

I decided to use this bike for a dual sport for a couple reasons:

1) It's super fun to ride
2) It has 6 gears, which is great for gas mileage and top speed for highway use.
3) It uses the same engine as the CRF230L so oil capacity isn't an issue on extended road trips.
4) It uses the same clutch perch as the "L" so a standard motorcycle mirror will screw into the threaded hole the "L" uses.
5) The stater will handle lighting without a rewind.
6) Comes with keyed ignition switch from the factory

I'll break down the parts lists into two sections, Performance and Dualsport. I'll be listing the part numbers for the harder to find items.

Performance:

Carburetor rejet:
  • OEM #135 main jet Part#99103-KPS-1350
  • OEM #45 pilot jet Part#99103-KPS-0450
  • OEM "power up needle" Part#16012-KPS-921
Air box baffle removed

FMF Powercore 4 slip-on exhaust
Note: the stock exhaust baffle can be removed with one T-25 screw. I've found that this is practically identical to the FMF except for the extra weight of the stock muffler. The FMF sounds slightly better
No-Toil pre-oiled two stage high flow air cleaner
Renthal 7/8 CR High bend bars
ODI locking grips
BBR 30% stiffer rear spring Part#660-HCF-1505
BBR 30% stiffer front springs Part#650-HCF-2305
Flatland Racing skid plate
Acerbis Rally Profile hand guards
MSR extended folding shift lever
Regina 520 o-ring chain

Dualsport:

Baja Designs Dualsport EZ-Mount kit Part#12-1050
Note: Includes headlight bucket. Headlight with high, low, and running lights. Horn. Front and rear turn signals. Rear sub-fender. Control panel for bars. Wiring harness(s). Rear brake light switch for rear lever. Rear tail light with running, brake, and license plate lights. License plate bracket. Key switch for lighting system. Mounting hardware. Instructions. Relocation of the CDI is required. Drilling a hole in the rear brake lever is required for the brake light switch. Slight modifications to battery box required.
Vapor Trail Tech Part#752-900 - digital speedometer/tachometer/odometer.
Note: Front brake caliper needs tapped for a screw to mount the speed sensor, this can be done with a steady hand and a sharp drill bit
Dunlop D606 DoT approved tires:
Front: size 90/90-21. Rear: size 120/90-18
JT Sprockets 14T counter-shaft sprocket Part#JTF327.14 14T
Note: stock is 13T, slight modification to chain slide required for 14T to fit.
Left folding Dualsport Mirror (http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html)

Wolfman fender bag

Paperwork and Title Process in PA

Required items for street legal motorcycle in PA:
  • 1 mirror
  • Headlight with running-light, high, and low beams
  • Turn signals front and rear (this is a gray area, just do it anyway to avoid complications)
  • Horn
  • Odometer
  • Speedometer
  • Taillight with running-light, brake light, license plate light. Switch activated at lever(s).
  • DoT approved tires front and rear
  • Working front and rear brakes
  • Front and rear fenders
  • Spark arrested stock exhaust or equivalent db level
  • Exhaust heat shields
  1. Locate an Enhanced Safety Inspector (http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...edstations.pdf)
  2. Have an Enhanced Safety Inspection done on the bike after all modifications are complete. You will need the bike's Title in hand. You'll also need all invoices for the parts required for the conversion with sales tax paid.
  3. The Enhanced Safety Inspector will take photos and fill out the proper forms for submission to the state
  4. Take the Enhanced Safety Inspection photos and forms to your local notary along with the Title, Proof of Insurance and invoices.
  5. If your Title says "ORV" but does not specifically state "Off-Road Only" then you'll need to file for a "Modified" title. If your Title says "Off-Road Only" then you'll need to file for a "Reconstructed" title.
  6. If possible take an expired or existing motorcycle license plate with you to the notary to be transferred, it saves you money, and you can ride on it with a pink-slip.
  7. The notary will submit all of the photos and documents to the state for approval.
  8. The notary will issue you a pink-slip temporary registration.
  9. The final step is to get a normal state inspection done for the sticker that goes on your fork. Why you need an Enhanced and a Regular inspection is beyond me, more money I guess.
  10. At this point you're "legal" but it's a gray area as the new registration is not approved yet. Ride at your own risk.
  11. Wait for the notary to contact you with any issues the state had with your application. If it's approved then the notary will receive your plate and a registration card and sticker will come in the mail.

I've road tested it now that it's all legal. Top speed with the 14T:50T gearing is ~70mph, comfortable crusing speed ~55mph. The tires aren't too sketchy on pavement. It's so much fun to ride! It'll pull wheelies in 2nd gear no problem without clutch work. The lighting is a little weak at night but it does it's job. Baja Designs does offer a stater re-wire if you need to ride at night a lot and need a brighter bulb. I'm not sure what the gas mileage is yet. I'll report back on my findings.

I'll post some more photos if people are interested in how I mounted everything.

Let me know what you all think

I know that some are going to say "why not just buy a CRF250L?". I didn't because I've ridden that bike and it's a complete dog. It's too heavy for a 250, the transmission is too wide, the fuel injection re-mapping is a pain, upside down forks are a hassle, liquid cooling is a hassle, and has all the emissions bullsh*t. I like durable, low maintenance, air cooled bikes.

-Seth

Pwnzilla screwed with this post Yesterday at 10:30 AM
Pwnzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
TennesseeVol51
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Super Job!! I really like what you did.

I would like to see pics of the list below

1-- Can you post a pic of your air filter and air box

2-- The renthal bars and risers

3-- Picutres of your wiring for blinkers both front and rear including the way you mounted the switch to the levers
Old 09-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
Pwnzilla OP
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

Brake Light Switch, I used an old bicycle inner tube to cover the wire so it wouldn't get burnt by the header or get caught on anything:

Under Rear Sub-Fender for Taillight and Turn Signals:

Under Fender Showing Wire Route:

Taillight Assembly and License Plate Bracket:

Behind Headlight Bucket and Dash. I couldn't use the Renthal crossbar pad because of the ligthing key switch and Vapor computer. I'm using the stock risers:

I don't have a picture of the airbox exposed but here is a picture of the baffle that you remove. It just pulls out of the top of the air box, no tools required:

Pwnzilla screwed with this post 09-16-2014 at 10:03 PM
Old Yesterday, 02:01 AM   #4
TennesseeVol51
n00b

Awsome!!!! Thanks so much for the quick pictures.

I am just getting the bug to start dual sport riding.And I am getting it bad.

I have raced dirt bikes since 1978 when I started racing a 1979 RM80 in the fall of 1978.I raced National enduro's from 1986 thru 2012.on KTM's.I still have and race a KTM 200.

It is shameful that I have just never had the desire to ride on the road--I just was scared at the idiots that drive cars.

This CRF230 is perfect way to start into dual sporting light weight and very very easy converting it over to street.And it is way cheap to find good use ones in the 1500-1800$ range.

I have looked and researched CRF250L--KLX250S--DRZ400--and the DR200s till I have seen every video and read everything that is possible to see or read but I just could not get excited about a 300 pound overpriced turd!! I have ridden a DRZ 400 set up in race mode several years back and it was a pig!!

But I just had never thought about the CRF230 ---and that really shows what a noob i am to the dual sport scene!!

I hope some more chime in and give their thoughts.
Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM   #5
Pwnzilla OP
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

I had a DRZ400. I liked it overall but it was tall, heavy, and I don't like liquid cooling as it's just more maintenance and stuff to go wrong. The right-side-up fork is nice though. I have had terrible luck with upside-down forks, they always leak and blow seals out. I would consider a DRZ400 but it needs a lot of modifications for serious off road applications and given the MSRP you're into $7500 range.

The Yamaha XT250 would be my next choice for a Dualsport. I have the TW200 and it's a lot of fun on fire roads and mild trails, but it sucks on the road and hard trails really bring out its suspension limitations. It's a nice "camp" bike but long road stretches is a drag. If you lived some place where you could ride hundreds of miles on dirt roads it would be a dream.

The Yamaha TT-R230 is essentially the same bike as the CRF230F but I've never worked on one. I don't know if the mods are available or if they're as easy to do.

I've never gotten into the EU bikes. I'm sure KTM has some awesome Dualsport bikes if you're willing to pay for them.

As I said in my first post, I absolutely love my CRF230F. I'm a bigger guy too, 6'4" and 250lbs and that little bike is a blast. The wheelbase is so short you can rip wheelies over anything in the woods. It's lightweight and bulletproof. I've done some pretty serious single track with it and it rips right along no problem. My only complaint on the whole bike is that the suspension is not adjustable. I've looked at a different rear shock and they're crazy expensive. I put the stiffer coils under mine and it does a good enough job.
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM   #6
TennesseeVol51
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwnzilla View Post
I had a DRZ400. I liked it overall but it was tall, heavy, and I don't like liquid cooling as it's just more maintenance and stuff to go wrong. The right-side-up fork is nice though. I have had terrible luck with upside-down forks, they always leak and blow seals out. I would consider a DRZ400 but it needs a lot of modifications for serious off road applications and given the MSRP you're into $7500 range.

The Yamaha XT250 would be my next choice for a Dualsport. I have the TW200 and it's a lot of fun on fire roads and mild trails, but it sucks on the road and hard trails really bring out its suspension limitations. It's a nice "camp" bike but long road stretches is a drag. If you lived some place where you could ride hundreds of miles on dirt roads it would be a dream.

The Yamaha TT-R230 is essentially the same bike as the CRF230F but I've never worked on one. I don't know if the mods are available or if they're as easy to do.

I've never gotten into the EU bikes. I'm sure KTM has some awesome Dualsport bikes if you're willing to pay for them.

As I said in my first post, I absolutely love my CRF230F. I'm a bigger guy too, 6'4" and 250lbs and that little bike is a blast. The wheelbase is so short you can rip wheelies over anything in the woods. It's lightweight and bulletproof. I've done some pretty serious single track with it and it rips right along no problem. My only complaint on the whole bike is that the suspension is not adjustable. I've looked at a different rear shock and they're crazy expensive. I put the stiffer coils under mine and it does a good enough job.
The DRZ is nice but you are right on the money being top heavy.

And I do live where dirt roads are everywhere.I live in the
2nd largest county in Tennessee landwise and the entire population is about 10,000 people.

I have great access to offroad single track 17 miles from my house,we have 6000 acres leased land with 100 plus miles of marked trail to ride.We host AMA National Enduros every year since 2007 with a average of about 500 riders.Here is a short Youtube video of one of our races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW5DiGVasXI

I know 2 people that are very fast offroad racers that took the CRF 230F and spent mega $$$$ and made the a offroad weapon--I will find out what they did about the suspension.The guys swapped the rear drum brake out to a disc brake and everything.Changed the forks to upside down Showas.
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM   #7
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,543

Best kept secret in motorcycles. Have done multi day trips on mine. A 2003 You can spend a fortune on upgrades or just a few dollars & go have fun! Just don't try & do too much

AZ TOM screwed with this post Yesterday at 04:38 PM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #8
TennesseeVol51
n00b

Tom---Thanks that is what I wanted to see!! Your bike is what I want basically stock with a exhaust and a big tank and soft seat.

I want to stay on the low end budget less that 4K total with all the mods I want to do.

I see you have a Maxis on the front and what kind of trials tire is on the rear? And how much pavement do you ride on that trials tire? Or do you just stay off the pavement?

My son is stationed in Fort Huachua,Arizona right now doing his US Army AIT training.He loves Arizona!! I will be building this bike for him.
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM   #9
Pwnzilla OP
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

It looks like you have ATV bars on your rig Tom. If so, did you need to get longer cables to mount your controls?

I dig the trials tire in the rear. Where I live it's all clay and mud so I need the mega knobs. I've also noticed that the western bikes always look clean, our mud is like glue, stains the plastic, and gets stuck everywhere.

I like your seat too. Is it a Corbin?

I'm happy to see another DSer that loves this bike as much as I do.