User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #136
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
hello girls ! well we will see what this ktm 525 is all about in the next 10 days, tomorrow morning ( 19 feb ) im leaving my home in thailand and going to cambodia first then laos,. ,the bike is an 05 525mxc ( fan and a bigger tank )and this will be my first ride on it, ive done this trip before but on an xr650 ,first thing i noticed is the weight ( lack of ) and that button on the bar that makes the engine go,, heaven ! ,.all in all ill do 3000 miles if all goes well ,spent the day today on maintenace ,you know, polish and stickers etc so should be fine ( gulp ) ,i ran the xr650 out of oil once and stretched the timing chain, so im a bit concerned by the ktms 1.2 litres ., bit concerned about the plank for a seat but i do tend to stand a lot, ,it will be 85 per cent dirt, ill give an honest opinion when ( if ) i return ,.ps how the hell do you add a pic to this ?
Hey there Mike. A fellow Thailand off-roader here. I saw you selling the bike on GT-Rider, i did not know if it was plated or not. Can you cross borders with that 525?

Luckily for 85 baht you can get the oil changed anywhere . I Hope you post a report on this site and also GT-Riders when/if you get back. Starting to get hot over there now so stay hydrated. Good luck.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:08 AM   #137
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
OK--got the hot scoop on the rear wheel: get the LC4 wheel for an '02 thru '05. Get the matching backing plate. The part number ends in 144. The other two plates that end in 044 and 344 have the support bearing in the wrong location for our RFS needs.

Assemble with lots of silicon or soap on the rubbers. Put the tire (or rim) on a couple of 2x4 hunks of wood to protect the brake rotor. Then get on the sprocket and bounce up and down until the hub seats in the wheel. You will hear an audible "splork" as it goes together. It will then fit in the RFS swing arm with ease. It will not until you jump on it. This is the secret KTM tool to mounting this wheel.
Thanks Stu. I confirmed the part numbers Andy supplied with Pat at Dirt Works, who is a really helpfull guy - sorted me out with everything I need, and at a really great price too

I'll fit according to your instructions when it arrives... I'll let you all know how I get on
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:12 PM   #138
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 892
Cush hub

The new wheel fits. Further, driveline snatch is reduced, shifting is easier, drive noise is less, finding neutral is easier and there will be less wear on tranny needle bearings.
Stu
Attached Images

Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:17 PM   #139
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Switch

I used the old style switch (from an LC4) in order to have an off position. The KTM switch looks like it is off the 950. The new switch is wired from hot to the taillight/running light. The new switch has a passing flasher switch, probably required, but with a 35/35W bulb who are they kidding? The new switch has a plastic pin locating it on a hole in the handlebar making moving it to install brush guards difficult. If you cut the pin off the switch rotates on the handlebar. The old LC4 switch locks down securely without a pin. It plugged right in. It also has a kill button which you could wire for a passing switch or as a second kill switch.
Stu
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #140
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Brake/Clutch line clearance

I used the Cycra adapters for the Enduro Engineering brush guards to have clearance for the cables in case of a crash and in the event that the guards might rotate some. Tearing off hydraulic lines is no fun....
Stu
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #141
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Clutch Master Cylinder Guard

The master cylinder guard and the 15T sprocket are real, real close. As you can see, my chain is grooving it nicely. It will be OK in a few more miles.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2007, 01:24 PM   #142
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Radiator Guards

The Bullet Proof guards are a work of art. You can mount the horn to the guard with a 5mm longer bolt than the stock horn mounting bolt and use a nylock nut. I bent my mounting strap a bit to clear the back side of the horn.
Stu
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #143
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Final Results

This bike is going to be just great. My dealer, Letko Cycles in KC, KC, gave correct and very helpful advice, a hand if I needed it, kidding where required -- they went the extra miles for me.
Result? Below.

Stu
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #144
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Canyon Chaser

I just posted this link on the "Can the RFS be a real DS bike" thread. Troy Lee knows very well that 450s can be good street bikes. He took a Honda 450-R dirt racer and turned it into an SM street bike with wheels, seat and some interesting graphics. If the Honda can find a home on the streets the street-legal 450/525 KTM RFSs most certainly can, and more easily since the parts are already in the hard parts catalog.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/26feb...nyonchaser.htm

Stu
Old 02-27-2007, 05:09 PM   #145
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
This bike is going to be just great. My dealer, Letko Cycles in KC, KC, gave correct and very helpful advice, a hand if I needed it, kidding where required -- they went the extra miles for me.
Result? Below.

Stu
I just wanted to comment on the photo. Excellent! You should join the Digital Grin forum if you already haven't.
2whlrcr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #146
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
Stu, Greg B here with the 450 EXC I got at Letko.
glad to here they got your cush drive setup figured out, that is in my future mods plan.

I heard you got the big Acerbis tank and the Clarke also.
I ordered the Clarke, I just can't see using that monster tank. I will carry some gas if I have to.
Terry said you had a leak at the petcock when you used the gasket?
I just used the stock o-ring and left the gasket off, is that what you ended up with?
mine doesn't seem to leak so far.

Can't wait to get to Colorado and Moab this year.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #147
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Leaks

Yea, I just ripped the saran wrap off the tank and stuck it together with the stock rubber seal and the KTM "O" ring. Poured gas all over. Duh. Plopped it over onto its side and pulled the petcock out and threw away the rubber seal leaving only the KTM "O" ring. No problemo. Actually it is the same as I have on my 250 2-stroke. I just dead-brained it.

The '02-'05 wheel and hub with rubbers will work with the new KTM. Just slather the rubbers up good with rubber lube (Dawn dish soap works), put it together, put the wheel / tire on a couple of 2x4s and stand on the sprocket. Jump up and down a few times and it will seat with a "splork".

I have the 6.6 gal. tank for long rides I hope to make in Alaska. I will need that plus extra, probably. Installation guide suggestion on John Davies web site are superb! (Thanks, John!)

How are you going out? I plan on camping. I currently have 21 miles on the new 525. It is going to sit for a while since I am just out of shoulder surgery having overdone it and torn it again (did my 250 have anything to do with it? Nah...). It should still look pretty nice for West Fest, unfortunately.

Stu
Old 03-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #148
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

balls!

after all of that, it looks like most of the parts I've ordered won't arrive before I go to Norway. Even if they do, I've only got 4 evenings in which to fit them...

So, back up plan is I'm taking the Dakar, which is more or less ready to go - it just needs slime in the tyres, the GPS mount fitting (and wiring) and the electric vest loom wiring in - all this can be done on the ferry on the way over (I have 25 hours to kill).

Oh well, I guess that means I need to plan another trip somewhere to test out the tricked out 525
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #149
guzzimental
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Bad luck there

Won't help much but I just bought a load of stuff from thumpertalk.com and it arrived by courier 5 days later. That particular order included the Acerbis 25L for USD224 ($25 discount) and a pile of other odds and sods. The catalogues are a PIA to wade through but worth it IMO.

Also, I ordered my triple clamps, Scott's damper and uprated radiators from BRP last week and they should be here Wed/Thu.

Excellant service from both those companies and worth checking out for any other bits you may need.

One other thing, if you haven't ordered your wheels yet then try Central Wheel Components in Birmingham (Midlands not Alabama ). I've used them in the past and just got a flyer from them at the Scottish bike show with some fair prices on Excel/Talon combos including cush hubs.

http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/

Now onto Bulletproof's site to order the rad guards.. ..sh*t that credit card bill is gonnae sting this month

...and a helluva lot of KTM bits waiting for a bike.
guzzimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:44 PM   #150
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimental
That particular order included the Acerbis 25L for USD224 ($25 discount) and a pile of other odds and sods. The catalogues are a PIA to wade through but worth it IMO.
LOL, thats about the only bit I have.... and man is that one huge mofo of a tank. I'm not sure I actually want to fit it

I'll check out the other bits n bobs on my return - thanks for the details
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto