Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2007, 05:55 PM   #151
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,604
Update: Got my Renazco seat put into service this past weekend. This thing works great and is far superior to the stocker. James knows what he is doing. It is wider in the rear, and tapers more narrowly at the front to allow for standing room. The suede feels oh-so-nice and looks great.

I also repacked the Wolfman Mini Beta bag this weekend for a one nighter. I mounted it further back than I have before and that worked great. I really love this bag...you can fill it up or just throw in a couple things. The thing cinches down so well that it doesn't flop around at all. Not waterproof, but that's why God made garbage bags. When I run with this bag I attach my bracket that was made for me by a ktmtalk member (wish I could recall his name) just to keep it away from the pipe, but I don't think it is really necessary with a small amount in the bag as it is positioned high enough.

Some pics of the setup.

flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #152
moragabiker
Scott

Oddometer: 45
Hi guys. Thanks for all of the good information!

I'm going to put the '02-'05 wheel and hub with rubbers (cush drive) on my 07 KTM. If I purchase a complete wheel from an '02-'05 525, will it also be black?

And I assume that I'll also need to buy the brake disk and sprocket for the rear wheel. Is that correct?
moragabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #153
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by moragabiker
Hi guys. Thanks for all of the good information!

I'm going to put the '02-'05 wheel and hub with rubbers (cush drive) on my 07 KTM. If I purchase a complete wheel from an '02-'05 525, will it also be black?

And I assume that I'll also need to buy the brake disk and sprocket for the rear wheel. Is that correct?
It will be silver, the color of mine that I posted (look back a page). This is an LC4 wheel, not a 525 wheel. This '02-'05 LC4 wheel fits on your 525, or your 200 2-stroke, or whatever. You can get black if you go with a Wheelsmith wheel (he has a thread running with pictures). I laced a black dirt star rim to my silver hub and it look like it is a stock item for '07.

You will need the sprocket and brake rotor and the screws to mount them (these are not cheap but they are hell for stout).

The only COMPLETE KTM wheel is one that KTM supplies with a 17' rim for super moto work. Woody can set you up with one of his wheels, however.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:24 AM   #154
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Update: Got my Renazco seat put into service this past weekend. This thing works great and is far superior to the stocker. James knows what he is doing. It is wider in the rear, and tapers more narrowly at the front to allow for standing room. The suede feels oh-so-nice and looks great.

I also repacked the Wolfman Mini Beta bag this weekend for a one nighter. I mounted it further back than I have before and that worked great. I really love this bag...you can fill it up or just throw in a couple things. The thing cinches down so well that it doesn't flop around at all. Not waterproof, but that's why God made garbage bags. When I run with this bag I attach my bracket that was made for me by a ktmtalk member (wish I could recall his name) just to keep it away from the pipe, but I don't think it is really necessary with a small amount in the bag as it is positioned high enough.

Some pics of the setup.
Hey, thats nice. I gotta chase Chris about my Renazco seat, he sent it ages ago, but it still hasn't arrived yet

Is that an Acerbis tank? or the MXC tank? I'm really a bit concerned that fitting the Acerbis tank is not only going to make the bike look absurd (how vain ) but also that the weight of all that extra fuel is gonna change the handling characteristics dramatically. It wasn't till it arrived that I realised just how big it really is.

I have wolfman envy. That's the thing thats really pissing me off right now - I ordered the expedition rear bag and tank bag over 6 weeks ago, and still no show... I won't mention the guilty party yet, because it may be the postal service or customs that is the hold up... although if they answered the phone or their emails then they could give me the tracking number so I could find out for myself...
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:50 AM   #155
guzzimental
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesbian
Hey, thats nice. I gotta chase Chris about my Renazco seat, he sent it ages ago, but it still hasn't arrived yet
What covering did you get? I'll end ordering one myself before too long but I'm concerned about the suede with Brit weather and the amount of times I'll end up dumping it in the mud!

...and a helluva lot of KTM bits waiting for a bike.
guzzimental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:29 AM   #156
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

The tank is an "XC" tank, and the seat pan is from an "XC" bike as well. The EXC pan leaves a big gap along the bottom edge near the gas tank but it does fit. I scored the tank and the seat off of ebay for like $75. I agree that the Acerbis 6.6 gallon looks goofy as hell, and I have to believe it changes the steering.

I've never had a bad experience with Wolfman's customer service or even recall hearing anyone who has. Did you buy direct from him? He posts on this board, FYI.

The Renazco seat is sweet. I actually ended up sitting down too much this weekend and my back was a tad sore yesterday. Lesson learned. My cover is suede. I had the same concerns about mud and such and talked to James about it. He told me once the mud dries it just crumbles off. We had a nice layer of frost on the bikes Sunday am and once it melted I just brushed it off the seat with my hand...no wet butt.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:13 AM   #157
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:

Is that an Acerbis tank? or the MXC tank? I'm really a bit concerned that fitting the Acerbis tank is not only going to make the bike look absurd (how vain ) but also that the weight of all that extra fuel is gonna change the handling characteristics dramatically. It wasn't till it arrived that I realised just how big it really is.

I have wolfman envy. That's the thing thats really pissing me off right now - I ordered the expedition rear bag and tank bag over 6 weeks ago, and still no show... I won't mention the guilty party yet, because it may be the postal service or customs that is the hold up... although if they answered the phone or their emails then they could give me the tracking number so I could find out for myself...
If ya got wolfman envy and want a speedy delivery then you really should've ordered from www.windingroads.co.uk since he is the UK supplier and an avid dual sporter,enduro rider and basically a proper biker.Nice chap an all.

Ohh,he sells heated grips too!!

BLUE(UK) screwed with this post 03-20-2007 at 07:32 AM
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #158
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Guzzi - I ordered the black suede too. As Flux says, mud will just crumble when dry - brush it off with a wire brush.

Flux - Didn't realise the EXC and XC had a different seat pan, but Chris ordered a new seat to rebuild based on the part number on the bottom of my own. I guess its the same as yours, as mine is an MXC.

I didn't order direct from Wolfman as they didn't seem to be too sure about international orders. I couldn't order from thier website for an international order. I used Adventurers Workshop... which I'm led to believe is somehow connected to this site?

Blue - I ordered the fender bag from Winding Roads, but the other stuff is just far too expensive (and he didnt appear to have the stuff I wanted available). Hasn't the guy that runs that place seen the current exchange rate? The internet makes a global market place possible - somebody should tell that guy that I can get a much cheaper price by hitting just a few different keys on my keyboard...
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #159
BLUE(UK)
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,423
Quote:
Guzzi - I ordered the black suede too. As Flux says, mud will just crumble when dry - brush it off with a wire brush.

Flux - Didn't realise the EXC and XC had a different seat pan, but Chris ordered a new seat to rebuild based on the part number on the bottom of my own. I guess its the same as yours, as mine is an MXC.

I didn't order direct from Wolfman as they didn't seem to be too sure about international orders. I couldn't order from thier website for an international order. I used Adventurers Workshop... which I'm led to believe is somehow connected to this site?

Blue - I ordered the fender bag from Winding Roads, but the other stuff is just far too expensive (and he didnt appear to have the stuff I wanted available). Hasn't the guy that runs that place seen the current exchange rate? The internet makes a global market place possible - somebody should tell that guy that I can get a much cheaper price by hitting just a few different keys on my keyboard...
..then keep waiting!!
Most stuff ordered from the states will be cheaper but by the time you've shipped it,had the customs blokes VAT/TAX it,you would have been just as well to buy in UK IF you get stung.
In an ideal world we'd all pay US prices but we simply dont unfortunately.(i wish i did).
BLUE(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #160
KTMRyder
throttle jockey

Oddometer: 3,812
Hey Flux, that muffler guard on your bike, did you make that yourself or buy it somewhere?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:23 PM   #161
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRyder
Hey Flux, that muffler guard on your bike, did you make that yourself or buy it somewhere?

Someone on ktmtalk fabbed it up for me. I wish I could remember his name but I can't. It bolts into the tailpipe mounts. Works pretty good too. A halfway decent welder could do it easy as pie.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #162
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Coolant Collector

I fabricated a coolant collector for the 525 EXC. It was simple and inexpensive.

Parts: Ace Hardware:
3' 1/4" ID polyvinyl hose @ .29/ft
2 clamps 1-13/16" to 2-3" @ 1.79/ea
4 rubber washers, 3/16" ID 3/4" OD @ .50/ea
2 brass hose joiners, 1/4" @ 1.89/ea
Sunflower Bicycle & Outdoor:
1 4 oz. Nalgene plastic bottle 1.60

The first half of the picture shows parts. The second half the bottle top installation. I drilled, carefully, the bottle top to accept the hose joiners (barb mender in Ace parlance). I put on the rubber washers to seal out contaminates. I pushed on the hose down to the rubber washers to complete the seal. I measure the inlet hose inside the bottle (from the radiator cap) to the bottom of the bottle and cut it at an angle. The outlet (breather) hose I cut so that after pushing it up to the rubber washer I had about 3/4" of hose sticking into the bottle.

On the outside of the cap I pushed the inlet hose on down to the washer and cut it to fit back to the radiator cap outlet. I attached the other end to the radiator cap overflow. The other hose, the outlet (breather) I ran to the stock frame plastic fitting. I pushed this fitting into the new outlet hose and jammed it back into the frame.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2007, 03:14 PM   #163
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Coolant Collector Installed

After installing the pieces I assembled them and put them on the left radiator guard (Bullet Proof). I used the inner tube "rubber bands" to add friction and cushioning to the bottle as the clamp tightened down. I put about 1 oz. (in the 4 oz. bottle) of antifreeze/H2O mix in the bottle. I filled the radiator to the top. I had to trim about 1" off the leader of the bottom hose clamp so the fender would not rub on it. I also mounted it such that the forks would not hit it.

After tightening it all down, aligning the top to not hit the frame and running the bike until hot to see how it worked everything came together with coolant going into the bottle from the overfull radiator. Now when the bike overheats in the summer I will collect the coolant which can be sucked back into the radiator since it is saved.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #164
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
Laugh

congratulations STU,

Never though an ADVIL bottle could be used on dirt bikes, by the way

Amazing

Touratech will soon go to bankrupcy.................
Old 03-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #165
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Expensive Solution

Advil? Man, you have to do the high dollar way and toss the Advil to get the bottle? Check out the outdoor supply/bicycle shop next to the drugstore for the cheap & classy way to go!
Stu