Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #2011
lamoson
something catchier

Oddometer: 685
ok guys, yea this IS the ultimate light weight adventure bike, BUT and that is a big but, i have been racing a few harescrambles with it, and let me tell you it is kind of a bear. i don't have the moolah to have multiple bikes right now and i am wrestling with selling this and getting a 250 xc-w or something. any recommendations on suspension settings or what not to help with racing? i do have a W.E.R. damper on it, so that helps. or should i just sac up and ride the thing?

here is a vid of some practice riding.

81' Cafe project http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519776

80' XL80 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=XL80
lamoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #2012
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Lamoson - As much as KTM called it a race bike in my eyes and hands its too big a bike for that purpose. Not the motor but the weight. Ready to go its 265 pounds which is 30 more than most decent race bikes in my eyes. If changes of direction are less like in the deserts of West then it can still hold a decent pace. However once you need to hustle the orange queen through turn after turn it starts to wear on you. It will do it better than most proper Duals Sport bikes but compared to a light KTM 250 XC or such it begins to lose its appeal. Then again if my name was David Knight and I rode like he did in 2006 on the 525 maybe I would not have the same opinion.

When I race and do really technical trail riding I much prefer my 220 pound YZF 250. However for my multi day rides the 525 is still the go to mount.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #2013
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,341
For very technical/racing I prefer something different, I ride a Gasgas 300. But for burning down the adventure miles in the back country, I like the RFS.

And a big hola to FTB!

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:55 AM   #2014
lamoson
something catchier

Oddometer: 685
thanks for the responses, i thought of one more thing, gearing. what do you guys think is ideal gearing for mostly tight woods racing? i do have a fifth and sixth gear and i am currently running 14/48. thanks.

81' Cafe project http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519776

80' XL80 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=XL80
lamoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:15 AM   #2015
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
For play riding 14/48 makes 1st high on your SX. 14/52 maybe? Gonna suck on the road though. Racing has no need to putt putt though. I ran 14/49 on my MXC box which has the same 1st as your SX.

I agree with the others about the weight. She's too fat to make a good HS bike. A cheap to buy/run two stroke would be my choice.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:09 AM   #2016
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Wow!! 14-48, that's what I run for dual sporting . I bet you rarely get out of second with that gearing .

Lower gearing will increase your acceleration if you're twisitng the thorttle to the stops already with your 14/48 gearing. Make sure you gear it so that the gears you use the majority of the time are at their most effective.

if most of your riding is HS/GP/Enduro racing with no need for tons of high speed (over 65 MPH) work then I'd sell the ole gal and get a two stroke as others have mentioned. Tons of fun, simple and cheap to run, but more importantly a better mount for racing especially if the budget is tight.

Best of luck.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #2017
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 892
4T Vs. 2T

This thread is about the 525 as an adventure bike, not a race bike per se. That said, most guys around here have dropped their 4Ts for 2Ts for racing. Some are going to go to the new 2011 250 SX-F for woods racing. These guys are fast even in the worst conditions, unlike me, so the comparison to what I find most suited to woods racing is not really accurate.

I do not use my 300 XC-W for long distance off-road riding. It does it but not as well as the 525. The guys that post on the Utards thread use 4T "dual sport" bikes with a few 2Ts thrown in for some of the more demanding trails. I think that when you crash your 450/525/530 the chance of serious damage, unlike the majority of dual sport bikes available, is greatly reduced. They are incredibly tough and for the more challenging DS riding we do that is a requirement.

The information on this thread about adapting the 450/525/530s to worthy DS bikes with the ability to take the rider through about anything has been invaluable. Reports from some, like Moragabiker, on riding his 525 from CA to UT and back on vacation has been an eye opener. Or Nickelobe's TAT ride on his new 450 -- a stock bike. FTB's assaults on serious jungle mud trails are, well, incredible. I'd appreciate more on your setup for ugly mud, FTB!

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #2018
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee!
GP: does the rallye version handle significantly different than the MXC version? IIRC its about the same amount of fuel, no?

M

The MXC tanks hold about 3 1/2 gallons, and the 660 Rally tanks hold over 6 gallons, IIRC.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #2019
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Hmmmm, just picked up an 07 450XC for my "adventure bike". Now I can't get rid of the XR650R fast enough.

The word "adventure bike" on this forum seems to weigh heavily on how your bike performs on slab, which seems counter-intuitive to the word itself. "Adventure" doesn't occur on slab, in my opinion. "Adventure" occurs when the gravel road turns into a fire road, which turns in to double track, which eventually turns into a cow trail. That's when adventure starts, and that's when it's best to have the lighter bike.

Anyway, RFS motors, that's why I'm reading this thread.

Carry on.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:14 AM   #2020
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Stu wrote:
Quote:
FTB's assaults on serious jungle mud trails are, well, incredible. I'd appreciate more on your setup for ugly mud, FTB!
hey there Stu !!

I've been having a serious headache as of late. My last decent trip on the 525 of note went through three countries and took me a month. Majority of it was off road since as Trackhead noted "Adventure" hardly is found on the pavement. Now the headache is getting the pics. My 16gb card of all the pics has been corrupted and having trouble rescuing them, sorting them, etc and will hopefully get them loaded. It may be bad karma from too much whiskey and a Cambodian hooker that put a bad spell on me . Bottom line the bike worked a charm, other than a electrical shit in Cambodia that was the fault of my crap wiring, rear wheel bearing in southern Laos (my fault again as I replaced the front bearings and forgot to source rears). The only issue that was the bikes fault and not mine was in Northern Laos I had a water pump seal let go right before I was heading into some great remote singletrack. Now I carry a spare waterpump seal and countershaft crank seal in the airbox as spares.

Only pics I've rescued so far are what I packed in my bags for the month long slog.

Packed in my original Giantloop bag:

Everything needed for my trip. I'm an insulin dependent Type 1 diabetic so you will note a bunch of supplies in regards to it. meds, needles, blood testing equipment, and emergency food supplies, clothes, shoes, tools, tubes, 1/2 liter of oil, Muesli cereal with home made powdered milk packets and my Hammock for camping.
In my backpack. Make sure to get one with a decent suspension, mines an old Osprey that I sewed a 3 inch waist belt strap on to carry the load better., water bladder friendly and enough pockets to keep organized

Backpack was filled with from left to right:

small dark bag with small bills both U.S. and Thai currencies, Black Diamond LED headlight (these things are priceless when camping out and working on the bike with shit eyesight like mine. Two zipper bags of insulin one is a back up in case of breakage. Spare needles for a month. Passport and paperwork in plastic bags for me and the bike along with spare blood testing strips for the diabetes. Tire levers, plastic bag with spare Air filter oil and I tried a bottle of that teflon Dupont oil for the chain, and blood tresting kit in zippered small black bag. Spare batteries, plastic bag of Snickers bars, Another dark blue bag and forget what I had in there, KTM tool pouch holds spares, hose clamps, bundling wire, fuses, expoxy, fuel line etc.. Motion pro tire tool that removes rear axle nut (nice piece of kit). Bicycle pump with duct tape and electrical tape wrapped around it. Bag of small electrolyte packets...hey its a 100 bloody degrees over here . Dried meat Thai style, think jerky. In the rural areas protien is difficult to find and you make loads of friends sharing it. Bifocul safety glasses w/back -up pair (ask me how I know to take a back-up) for my blind ass to see the GPS, maps, work on the bike and a spare platypus bladder for when water is tough to find.

Packed into my Wolfman number plate bag which is awesome to cram light easy stuff that you like handy.

Basicall, any maps I will need, rain gear, spare Voile straps for strapping shit down. These are awesome rubberized straps that I use to fasten my Giantloop to the bike for easy on and off. They also work well as bondage straps for willing females on yer trip. More dried fruit and left over power Gel bars that have not been used and a mini tripod

After a month poking about there was not much i would ditch for the next long trip. I would like to ditch the tubes for a Tubeliss set-up to save weight and bulk when packing. Bloody tubes are heavy!! I was also not that impressed with the Dupont Teflon stuff in the blue bottle for oiling a chain. Not inexpensive, goes on and flies off the chain like water, plus the rain and mud over here gets it off quickly. I was better off just using used motor oil when hitting villages for the chain.

Also a big howdy to Gaspipe . Long time no speak bud. Almost about time for you to come over for another go at riding around the jungles over here, eh?

Old 09-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #2021
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Seems to be a lot of KTM RFS bikes for Sale in Flea Market....the more I ride mine the better I like it....the bike just rips.....it will be more of a dual sport bike for me but I think it's perfect for it.....they didn't put a 6th gear on that bike for nothing.....it is time for my first oil change experience so I'll see how that goes. Probably order that Brap plug on down the road. About 150 miles yesterday...gravel, a few creek crossings, some B level roads, and some twisties to stretch out that 6th gear... .....just me and the 450 - perfect Adventure Bike for me....actually got about 50 miles to the gallon and I wasn't always easy on the throttle all the time....

Just one complaint - the Kickstand - it will be changed out soon...always felt like the bike was going to fall over with some stuff packed in my GL Mojavi bag....pick your stopping points carefully....

Shot along a gravel road.....

On Hiatus

ThumperDRZ screwed with this post 09-19-2010 at 03:25 PM
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #2022
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperDRZ
Just one complaint - the Kickstand - it will be changed out soon...always felt like the bike was going to fall over....pick your stopping points carefully....
I just got an 07 (too good a deal to turn down) but the sidestand was snapped. I got the Trailtech. Apart from being stronger one of the bonuses is that the bike doesn't lean as far over. In fact with most of the preload backed out (which is how the PO was running ) it's almost vertical and I was worried it would tip over the other way. KTM sidestands are just weird, my 950 is too long and the bike is too vertical and my old LC4 was so short I had to weld 2" into it.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 AM   #2023
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
I screwed a "puck" on the bottom of mine. Made from 1/2" polymer. Now i park in places i never could before.

Bent my kickstand tab on a log or root recently. Now it stands to high. Need to tune with a hammer and vice. Wind blew it over on cement here at the house tweaking my handguard a little. Had to tune it too.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #2024
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,826
I just finished fitting some 48mm sx forks with 18mm offset brp triples to my old girl.
I also gave it a spruce up with some new guards which i'm sure will take ten seconds off my lap times

I haven't had a chance to do any proper riding but i can already feel that its much more stable but the steering feels lighter.

I'm thinking of painting the new tanks and fairing white, do you fellas reckon it'll look okay with an all white front with maybe a sticker or two.

DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #2025
drewjb7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Trailtech kickstand

Same with me when I put on the Trailtech. You can pull out the plastic foot, saw about an inch off the bottom of the stand and re-install the foot to get a "just right" lean angle.

Drew

[quote=crazybrit]I just got an 07 (too good a deal to turn down) but the sidestand was snapped. I got the Trailtech. Apart from being stronger one of the bonuses is that the bike doesn't lean as far over. In fact with most of the preload backed out (which is how the PO was running ) it's almost vertical and I was worried it would tip over the other way.

Ride report: Orange in the Greens
drewjb7 is offline   Reply With Quote