ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #211
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Nice bagz and setup, Stu! I also like the way you mounted the Sicass LEDs -- I'll have to get mine on soon. Dig that Akra silencer; no louder than the de-restricted stock unit, but a much nicer zaus note.

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:55 AM   #212
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 885
Bagz

Woodsrider,

Thanks for the compliment! I am a good source for destructive testing since I crash a lot and the Dirt Bagz have survived.

Do your leg stretches if you mount the turn signals up high. That is the only compromise. I don't have any problem with my 29" inseam but my buddies with their 32+" inseams seem to tangle with them. I don't think they stretch....

Mark,

I have not used the tank bags. I have seen guys who have and seem happy with them. As a hare scrambles guy I just like to be able to move around. My choice. I have run across lots of KLR riders that like their bikes for everything except nasty trails. A week in Moab usually has them looking at KTMs and Huskys. Some of them have gone to 400DRs and like them better than the KLR for that sort of riding. (The '08 KLR looks like a road bike and apparently is about 50 lbs heavier than the earlier ones. My neighbor got one. He is profoundly disinterested in going with me to our riding area. I don't blame him.) The new 535 and the old 525 both weigh about 250 lbs. (They both are 510c.c.s) The old one has lots of after market stuff for it such as the Clarke 3.1 gallon tank. The new one has a new frame and some after market stuff might be delayed in getting out because of that. Check first. Either one will fit your 90% trail / 10% street criteria.

Happy riding!

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #213
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes
Ha ha, my balance isn't as good as yours so I just squeezed mine together with a clamp.

Yeah, mines in the clamp right now (is that the worlds slowest wheel change or what? )

That gap I can see there.... I guess its around 5mm... is that how it should be once its fully "in place"? I've already had in that far, and was able to remove the sprocket carrier again quite easily using just my hands... I guess once its on the bike, there are no lateral forces pulling it apart, so it's OK, right?

BTW, anybody got a phone number of adventurers workshop? my wolfman stuff I ordered back in February STILL hasn't shown up, they don't answer emails, and the website no longer lists a phone number. I'm not a happy bunny.
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #214
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Wheel Gap

Leesbian,

Look at my post back on page 10 of this thread. You can see that the gap is pretty narrow. 5mm might be a bit much for the wheel to go in the swingarm.

If Adventurers doesn't have your money I'd get the bag directly from Wolfman. Just explain the circumstances so he can ship to you.

Stu
Old 07-24-2007, 03:42 PM   #215
Pelon
Dia Por Dia

Oddometer: 1,061
Stupid question apropos of nothing in this thread (except the KTM, of course) . . . everytime I ride my 450, I have blue grease coming down the left side of my swing arm. Can't figure out where it is coming from . . . any ideas?

Gracias
Old 07-24-2007, 05:26 PM   #216
woodsrider

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelon
. . . everytime I ride my 450, I have blue grease coming down the left side of my swing arm. Can't figure out where it is coming from . . . any ideas?
Gracias
Do you oil your air filter heavily? I have seen excess air filter oil drain from the air box and find its way onto the swingarm.

1997.5 KTM 200LE Jackpiner
'75 Bultaco 250 Alpina (M137)
woodsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #217
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,587
It is air filter oil. From my dealer, it dripped blue...I use PJ1 and now it drips red. It is super common. It comes from that flap under the airbox.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:51 PM   #218
Pelon
Dia Por Dia

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
It is air filter oil. From my dealer, it dripped blue...I use PJ1 and now it drips red. It is super common. It comes from that flap under the airbox.
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I was really puzzling over it . . . this is why I love this forum.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 PM   #219
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesbian

BTW, anybody got a phone number of adventurers workshop? my wolfman stuff I ordered back in February STILL hasn't shown up, they don't answer emails, and the website no longer lists a phone number. I'm not a happy bunny.
I take it you didn't order from Eric (wolfman) directly? My stuff is always here in 3-5 days.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:51 AM   #220
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Location is all

Yea, but you are in Texas and Leesbian is in London. Wolfman may have some sort of marketing arrangement with Adventurers. However, if they are not fulfilling their end of the deal, i.e., failing to take care of customers, for example, Eric needs to know that so he can ship directly, or so he can contact Adventurers directly and light a fire under them.
Stu
Old 07-25-2007, 05:43 PM   #221
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Yea, but you are in Texas and Leesbian is in London. Wolfman may have some sort of marketing arrangement with Adventurers. However, if they are not fulfilling their end of the deal, i.e., failing to take care of customers, for example, Eric needs to know that so he can ship directly, or so he can contact Adventurers directly and light a fire under them.
Stu
Eric would NOT approve of that kind of delay. He's a top notch dude and is always on the ball. His stuff speaks for itself too.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:51 PM   #222
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesbian
Yeah, mines in the clamp right now (is that the worlds slowest wheel change or what? )

That gap I can see there.... I guess its around 5mm... is that how it should be once its fully "in place"? I've already had in that far, and was able to remove the sprocket carrier again quite easily using just my hands... I guess once its on the bike, there are no lateral forces pulling it apart, so it's OK, right?
Yeah, as Stu said there's not much of a gap there. I kept expecting there to be a pop or something as the carrier was seated into the hub but it never happened. The carrier just kind've presses in and floats there. The clamp was probably overkill but it did make it fit in the swingarm without having to spread them or anything and the wheel / hub dropped right into place. And as you said, your axle will do any remaining compression when you torque it and hold everything together nice and tight once it goes on.

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #223
jgas
Stoogely Adventurerer

Oddometer: 843
If I stay away from hard engine braking on the street do I really need the cush hub on my 520? What breaks, I assume the hub itself cracks?
-DRZ 400, GasGas 275, Klein, zero cc.
jgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:27 PM   #224
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Cush Hub

The hub doesn't break. The no-give of the hard pavement transmits shocks to the transmission's needle bearings. That is why street bikes all have some sort of cushioning effect. KTM's SM wheel set comes with a cush hub. I run a cush hub for a 2002~2005 KTM LC4 on my '07 525 EXC on the street. This hub works for the RFS swing arm and rotor & sprocket alignment. I have the regular rear wheel with a full knobby on it ready for action when I pound the trails.

There are SM street riders on 450s that have reported on this web site that, in once case, the rider had 17,000 miles on his bike and he did not have the hub. Personally I would rather not take a chance on trashing my tranny bearings.

Stu
Old 07-29-2007, 06:43 AM   #225
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
Leesbian,

Look at my post back on page 10 of this thread. You can see that the gap is pretty narrow. 5mm might be a bit much for the wheel to go in the swingarm.

If Adventurers doesn't have your money I'd get the bag directly from Wolfman. Just explain the circumstances so he can ship to you.

Stu
Thanks - I'll take a look on page 10 :)

I guess I'll find out in a day 2 if its too big when I try to refit it.

Adventurers DO have my money - I paid via PayPal, who now refuse to give me a refund because its been 45 days since the transaction (hey, I leave it 3 weeks, thenenquire where my stuff is, they say its being sent... another 2 weeks to wait for it to arrive, and that's your 45 days gone... SOL). I can't even get my credit card company involved cos I paid direct from my bank account... lessons learnt here :

1) when ordering ANYTHING on the internet, pay with a credit card
2) if you have any problems, screw being nice - follow the complaints procedure
3) only use PayPal as a last resort
4) don't buy stuff from adventurers workshop

I didnt go direct to Wolfman to start with because they didn't seem to be able to ship direct to UK, even though in an email the guy said to just put UK on the shipping thing on thier order form (it didnt change the shipping price, so I assumed this was wrong).

Adventurers seem to be quite happy to take my money and give no refund, won't respond to emails... I'm pretty pissed off at them. I won't recommend them to anybody (infact, the exact opposite).

But yeah, I'll contact Wolfman direct, tell them what the deal is, and see if they can put pressure on thier authorised dealer - hadn't thought of that before - thanks for the idea
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote