Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #2761
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKERMAN View Post
Sorry should know better, are thet worth the money ?
My only advice is not to use a scotts as a bandaid for poorly set up suspension.
My 525, pre-suspension work ... handled horribly.
Post suspension work, I have run it up some rutted, rocky terrain ... it handled great - barely deflected - and no damper.

Moreover, a poorly set up damper (ie damping level too high) can make the bike horrible to ride and very tiring (arm pump).

Currently, the only time I really use the damper on the 525 is so I can comfortably ride one-handed on the road

I'll see how it goes when I get in some more challenging terrain (sand, deep gravel)
mookymoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #2762
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
My only advice is not to use a scotts as a bandaid for poorly set up suspension.
Post suspension work, I have run it up some rutted, rocky terrain ... it handled great - barely deflected - and no damper.

Moreover, a poorly set up damper (ie damping level too high) can make the bike horrible to ride and very tiring (arm pump).
You can run a Scotts in "dummy" mode and it will still protect you. Dummy mode = narrow sweep and top dial all the way light. AFAIK, only a Scotts has the high speed circuit that offers damping when your front tire whacks something that tries to deflect the front tire to the side. Damping while riding can be kept to near zero and you STILL have the high speed deflection protection. As one learns more on how and when to use it, one can mess with the dials more and more...

I'm thinking a Scotts may have prevented this biff Chitown recently took part in:

http://vimeo.com/20891004
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #2763
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
I'm thinking a Scotts may have prevented this biff Chitown recently took part in:

I doubt that. A Scotts won't get a wheel rolling that was completely stopped by the front brake hose crossing the tire from leg to leg. His fender broke and the hose hooked on the knobs of his front tire.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #2764
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
I doubt that. A Scotts won't get a wheel rolling that was completely stopped by the front brake hose crossing the tire from leg to leg. His fender broke and the hose hooked on the knobs of his front tire.
Who the heck said a damper will get your wheel rolling?

A Scotts will prevent an fast, strong external force from slapping your wheel far left or far right. Reading is fundamental, my friend.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #2765
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post

Quote:
Who the heck said a damper will get your wheel rolling?

A Scotts will prevent an fast, strong external force from slapping your wheel far left or far right. Reading is fundamental, my friend.
I am well aware of the facts (contains working video). I read your post and watched the video. Even if he had a damper, he definitely would have crashed. His front fender broke off and the brake line snagged the front tire. He would certainly not have just uneventfully skidded to a stop from 50 mph to a controlled stop while remaining upright. No need for the snootiness.

The offending brake hose, and mark where it grabbed Chitown's tire.

B-Rod screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 10:21 PM
B-Rod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #2766
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,492
Quote:
I'm thinking a Scotts may have prevented this biff Chitown recently took part in:http://vimeo.com/20891004
WTF happened there?
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #2767
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by guns_equal_freedom View Post
WTF happened there?
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667236

I love how what could easily be a shadow, or some other random tire mark is automatically where the brake line grabbed the tire. All this and more in the above thread.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:13 AM   #2768
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post

Currently, the only time I really use the damper on the 525 is so I can comfortably ride one-handed on the road

I'll see how it goes when I get in some more challenging terrain (sand, deep gravel)

Good advice MookyMoo. I'm far from an expert so take the following with jaded cynicism.

So Bakerman does the 525 need a dampner?? not really. However that answer is only true if you go about setting up your suspension correctly as MookyMoo stated. If you don't you may be resorting to a sterring damper as a bandaid for your handling woes. Key things to address in your suspension set-up other than spring rates is the suspension sag. I see most people people pay attention to rear sag which is a good thing. Experiment and see what works for you We are all different in what we like our bikes to do and combine that with the varying terrains we ride and one persons magic setup specs may be the undoing of another. An example, I prefer my 525 w/95mm of rear sag here in the jungle trails of Thailand. If I was back home in the deserts of Southern California I'm sure my set-up would probably favor a 100mm sag set-up for the higher average speeds and stability desired in the 3 foot sand whoops there versus the tighter terrain I have here in Thailand. Point being setups change due to terrain and rider preferences. I would encourage you to spend an afternoon out changing the sag on your bike and riding around the same trail to see the effects of your changes whilst riding the same track over and over to keep the variables as little as possible. You'll most likely end up with a great insite into what you like and dislike in a bikes handling. I just realized I'm writing this assuming you don't know all this which is a LARGE assumnption on my part. Please excuse my rambling.

If you have your bike setup incorrectly in can result in traits that you may believe demands a dampner. For example, too little rear sag and or too much front sag can lead to the bike shaking its head in choppy higher speed terrain. You can get a dampner to calm the headshake or you can just dial in your sag correctly to alleviate a lot of the problem.

What works for me in my terrain is 95mm rear sag and 65mm front sag. Experiment and see what works for you in your terrain. And after all this rambling I do have a Scotts on my 525. If I ride my 525 on day rides with no luggage I have little need for the Scotts dampner, as the bike is manageable and I can control with confidence if the bike gets out of shape a bit when hitting obstacles. However when loaded for trips I find the extra pounds strapped onto the bike

(about 30 pounds) makes the bike more difficult for my girly 140 pounds to handle when the KTM (about 280 w/ fuel + 30 in Giantloop bag + 10 in backpack) gets knocked out of shape and I have to wrestle the girl back into shape. The dampner can stabilize the bike through rough stuff better but it is not vital for you to enjoy the 525. YMMV.

Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #2769
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Need advice on pricing to sell my bike as my needs have changed lately.

I'd like to know what extra the engine might be worth over typical. It's a Dave Hopkins built 540 exc. KTM cylinder kit-not an over bored stocker. His head with over size Kibble Whites. Crank has been welded and trued. Over wise stock including cam and carb. 180 hours but i'd bet big money the topend is great. With my riding style the stocker was still tight at 120 hours.

Not pimping guys. I have a friend who wants it and i want to be fair with him.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #2770
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Good advice MookyMoo. I'm far from an expert so take the following with jaded cynicism.

So Bakerman does the 525 need a dampner?? not really. However that answer is only true if you go about setting up your suspension correctly as MookyMoo stated. If you don't you may be resorting to a sterring damper as a bandaid for your handling woes. Key things to address in your suspension set-up other than spring rates is the suspension sag. I see most people people pay attention to rear sag which is a good thing. Experiment and see what works for you We are all different in what we like our bikes to do and combine that with the varying terrains we ride and one persons magic setup specs may be the undoing of another. An example, I prefer my 525 w/95mm of rear sag here in the jungle trails of Thailand. If I was back home in the deserts of Southern California I'm sure my set-up would probably favor a 100mm sag set-up for the higher average speeds and stability desired in the 3 foot sand whoops there versus the tighter terrain I have here in Thailand. Point being setups change due to terrain and rider preferences. I would encourage you to spend an afternoon out changing the sag on your bike and riding around the same trail to see the effects of your changes whilst riding the same track over and over to keep the variables as little as possible. You'll most likely end up with a great insite into what you like and dislike in a bikes handling. I just realized I'm writing this assuming you don't know all this which is a LARGE assumnption on my part. Please excuse my rambling.

If you have your bike setup incorrectly in can result in traits that you may believe demands a dampner. For example, too little rear sag and or too much front sag can lead to the bike shaking its head in choppy higher speed terrain. You can get a dampner to calm the headshake or you can just dial in your sag correctly to alleviate a lot of the problem.

What works for me in my terrain is 95mm rear sag and 65mm front sag. Experiment and see what works for you in your terrain. And after all this rambling I do have a Scotts on my 525. If I ride my 525 on day rides with no luggage I have little need for the Scotts dampner, as the bike is manageable and I can control with confidence if the bike gets out of shape a bit when hitting obstacles. However when loaded for trips I find the extra pounds strapped onto the bike

(about 30 pounds) makes the bike more difficult for my girly 140 pounds to handle when the KTM (about 280 w/ fuel + 30 in Giantloop bag + 10 in backpack) gets knocked out of shape and I have to wrestle the girl back into shape. The dampner can stabilize the bike through rough stuff better but it is not vital for you to enjoy the 525. YMMV.

All this and it's still a D-A-M-P-E-R.

It doesn't get things slightly wet (eg: dampener).
Old 03-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #2771
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Just finished a 2000 mile loop (95% dirt) on my 2007 KTM 450 XC. Absolutely no mechanical issues. Ran flawless the entire time. No oil cooler. Bone stock. Plenty of time at 65mph, lots of hard riding. This bike is bomber. Update later on valves. I don't think they moved at all.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #2772
stevh0
Super Retard.

Oddometer: 1,414
Nice pic!
Ex SM610, FS570, WR450, Africa Twin(s)
stevh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:34 AM   #2773
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead View Post
Just finished a 2000 mile loop (95% dirt) on my 2007 KTM 450 XC. Absolutely no mechanical issues. Ran flawless the entire time. No oil cooler. Bone stock. Plenty of time at 65mph, lots of hard riding. This bike is bomber. Update later on valves. I don't think they moved at all.

awesome!!!

i have an oil cooler but i might be taking it off.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #2774
mxchamp
Registered Lurker

Oddometer: 1,473
Question Help!

Please help a newbie.

My 520 EXC is leaking gasoline sitting in my garage with the petcock off.

I know it's the float in the carb.

I don't have a manual but could somebody please tell me what the best position is so it doesn't leak?

My 640 doesn't leak when I leave the petcock on. I got rid of my BMW's which were FI, so I keep forgetting to shut off the gas.

TIA

Encouraging Serious Horseplay!

mxchamp screwed with this post 03-20-2011 at 11:57 AM Reason: Spelling errors.
mxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:24 PM   #2775
Schmittenhymer
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
Hey guys, got a question for you. Ive been looking for a KTM for a while now and I finally got a chance to ride an older 520 that was beat to hell. Didn't learn much from it besides the gear box is awesome but I can't find any 525s around here at all. There are a couple of 450s but even those are scarce and I don't want to drive 200 miles to just test ride a 450.

I know the specs and what everyone says but I guess I want to hear it again . Is there that much of a difference from the 450 to the 525 (exc)? Im comming off of an XRR and I have always liked the torque but will I miss it on the 450? I figure they still have good torque compared to other 450s but how much less does it have from the 525? I know the 450 would be better suited as a dirt bike around here where the trails can get tight and slippery pretty fast but I could do it on the XRR so I know the 525 can do it better. Then there is the on road aspect, im sure the 525 would be better at loafing down the road there.

The other question is how much cash does it take to change a 450 over to a 525?

EDIT: Im planning on going to some close enduro races hoping to find some for sale bikes there. Is there anywhere else I should look? Im on KTMtalk often and the classifides on Craigslist, and a couple other places but these things just don't seem to turn up.
If you like torque, get the 525!
http://www.adventuretourer.ca
www.2wheelcentral.com
Schmittenhymer is offline   Reply With Quote