Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #271
Sheep Shagger
Show me your fleece

Oddometer: 2,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
FYI When considering fuel tanks for an RFS there is a tank that falls between the 3-3.4 gal and the 6.6 gal. But it is expensive and hard to find in the us. Have a look:

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...roducts_id=484

MCNut
They have come down in price a little since last year when I was looking. Apparently the build quality is very high. They also have a 6.x gal version that's a lot nicer than the acebris / KTM one, but it's $$$.

Still has the "nut cracker" filler that IMS / Clarks has, one thing the KTM tanks don't have.
I run the 3.4 XC tank, great tank, but range is somewhat limited espically with crappy mexican gas. My bike is normally ~40 mpg jetted for sea level. Last time I was in Mexico ~32mpg, so the 3.4gal XC tank has a range of ~115 miles, the IMS and Clarks would be less.

I'm off to Baja in 1 week, going with people who all have 5 & 6 gal tanks, so I'm taking a syphon tube
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 05:55 AM   #272
gdavis2265
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I only have 2000 miles on my 525 motard, but I love it sooooo much I bought another for the dirt.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...99097893BvrYgg

06' KTM EXC Supermoto
03' Suzuki Bandit 1200 (nekid with busa suspenders)
08' XF200 Supermoto (daughter's Chinese sumo-beatch)
gdavis2265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #273
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Safari Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnut
FYI When considering fuel tanks for an RFS there is a tank that falls between the 3-3.4 gal and the 6.6 gal. But it is expensive and hard to find in the us. Have a look:

http://www.justgastanks.com/store/in...roducts_id=484

MCNut
I put the 4 gal Safari Tank on my 450 exc and I give it 2 thumbs up . I also added some tank foam, a minor headache to install, but serves its purpose. I really enjoy the extra range without noticing much extra weight.

Coloradical
Old 05-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #274
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 893
Safari Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradical
I put the 4 gal Safari Tank on my 450 exc and I give it 2 thumbs up . I also added some tank foam, a minor headache to install, but serves its purpose. I really enjoy the extra range without noticing much extra weight.

Coloradical
The tank looks like it would survive if the bike was dropped off a cliff. Where did you add the tank foam & why? Could you post a pix? What sort of range do you get with it now? Did it come with a petcock or did you add the KTM unit?

Thanks! Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #275
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Renazco Seat

This seat definitely adds to the long distance comfort factor. If you do not have one you might consider one. As you can see it is wider in the rear to support you while just droning along. It is narrow toward the front for moving around and getting your feet down. It works!

Stu
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #276
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Motosportz Damper

I mentioned earlier that this Motosportz damper was excellent and very easy to adjust on the fly. It fits snugly and with the simple damper keeps the big beast behaving at speed on the super slab and can be instantly dialed down for off road work. I just float over rocks that were troublesome now with this.

Stu
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #277
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
The tank looks like it would survive if the bike was dropped off a cliff. Where did you add the tank foam & why? Could you post a pix? What sort of range do you get with it now? Did it come with a petcock or did you add the KTM unit?

Thanks! Stu
I'd be interested in knowing this too. Coloradical, you still alive?

I'd prefer 5 gallons, out in Eastern Oregon 200 miles of range is kinda nice, I'm guessing this (Aqualine 4g) would be good for 170 at sea level, probably more like 200+ at altitude in Colorado.

Still, major $$$$. Hard to justify.

crazybrit screwed with this post 07-29-2008 at 04:58 PM
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:48 PM   #278
adventure95004
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86

102 hours 4250miles, probably 50% on road none of it slow, in florida sand and swamp with no problems. Just did 1032 miles in a weekend, 500 on road.

14/47 gearing, a little high but good for 70+ on road
JD jet kit just a little rich, keeps it cool
power now wings, almost unstallable
flexx bars and renthal kevlar soft grips, cuts almost all vibration
scotts damper, gotta have for high speed on road and sand. saved my ass way more times than the little skill I have.
leo vince, runs cooler with a little more on top than stock plus easily tunable.
carbon bash plate saved my cases last weekend up in the blue ridge mtns.
walmart atv seat pad with an extra layer of foam in it, 500miles no monkey butt
oil change every 6 to 8 hundred (just pull the main plug only, takes 10 mins) full oil change and filters every 3rd change
valves have been fine only 1 tight at 3hr check twice checked since, probably only check every 3 to 4000 miles now on.
the rest is just what you would do for any bike

This to me is a true dual sport, it can go anywhere off road and I can keep up with sport bikes if the road is tight enough. for just a little extra effort you get back a very rewarding ride.

andy
adventure95004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:58 PM   #279
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure95004

How did you relo your hi-beam and turn-signal indicators? Can't tell from the pic.

Hmmn, don't seem to be able to quote your pic (click the above link instead) ........ Have they changed to the Renazco logo on top. Your seat seems less domed than mine. I got it from someone (who I'd rather forget here on AdvRider, ugh) who got it I believe originally from Pyndon. It's not a great fit at the front with my IMS tank. Hard to get the rear bolt to line up.

Here are some pics of my new to me 450 (2005, 70 hours, 1100 miles).

So far:
- KTM Euro wiring harness, LED flashers, K&S controls, K&S Horn (behind mask)
- Cycra Pro Bends
- the above mentioned Renazco
- underbar Scotts damper
- replaced KTM rad guards with PMB ones
- HT racing oil cooler (not installed yet)
- PowerPegz
- 8.8/250 rear spring (to replace stock 8.0)
- 4.4N/mm front spring (to replace stock 4.2)
- eLine carbon header protector (had to freeze out dent the PO put into header)
- fan kit (need to use a PC fan due to the IMS tank)

Future upgrades:
- stator rewind
- Trailtech flywheel
- Ground float
- Some kind of HID

Most everything except for the eLine/fan was used to keep the $$$ down. I'm $6300 into the bike at this point.

Still not sure if it will replace this (which I know 'stu' used to also own). It would be nice if it could as the vibes are ASS but the SXC is a luggage mule compared to the 450. I have a cush hub for the SXC which would fit the RFS too. Just not sure about the luggage situation.

I just got the PMB rear rack for the SXC and it's gorgeous. Way better than the old KTM one. Also have a set of Dalby Moto pannier racks for the Ortlieb soft panniers (below, pic on Mike Crambs bike). I like them a lot as they keep the weight forward unlike the PMB optional side racks, though the SXC subframe is much stronger than the 450.

Something similar (to the Dalby racks) for the 450 would be very cool and would probably force the SXC into the flea-market.

Not sure anything exists however and I'm suspicious of the PMB racks for the RFS as it sits so far back.

crazybrit screwed with this post 07-29-2008 at 06:19 PM
Old 07-29-2008, 07:23 PM   #280
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Bikes

Andy,

A nice setup! Is that an '07 450? 525? I run 15/50 on the road on my 525 (3.3333 ratio) to your 14/47 (3.35, so about identical). I slip on a 52 for more off road stuff and just flip the rear adjuster blocks.

You say with the JD jetting it runs cooler. My 525 in the woods on a hot day has the fan running constantly. This never was the case with the 450. What is your experience in tight woods?

Are the turn signal / high beam indicator lamps just taped in place or have you fabricated a mount?

I really like the ATV cover / foam idea. So far I have not needed it with my Renazco seat that I just got from Chris.

What are you running for oil?

Crazybrit:

It does look like the Renazco seats have changed design from yours to mine. It could also be that yours is a "high profile" seat. Mine is standard. Your 450 looks ready to rip. BTW, I had to force fit my seat on with my Clarke tank, just as I had to force fit the stock seat and the EE super soft seat. Now that I have ridden with it some it goes on and off more easily.

You are correct about the vibration on the 625 SXC. It is a great bike with an incredibly reliable motor that will haul more than the 525. I just go with less. I am happier with the 525 than I was with the 625. (I did finally put a 17T on the front on the 625 and at highway speeds that did help the vibes. The old 620 rubber footpeg inserts also helped a lot.)

So far the 530 with its smaller oil capacity in the engine (.7L to my nearly 1.8L with the HT Racing oil cooler) is reportedly burning some oil since what oil is there is really worked over. Bill Thomas at HT Racing is working on a cooler for this motor and reports that it has been difficult to design. Until a solution is found I am certainly staying with the RFS design for DS work.

Stu
Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM   #281
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
ACrazybrit:

You are correct about the vibration on the 625 SXC. It is a great bike with an incredibly reliable motor that will haul more than the 525. I just go with less. I am happier with the 525 than I was with the 625. (I did finally put a 17T on the front on the 625 and at highway speeds that did help the vibes. The old 620 rubber footpeg inserts also helped a lot.)
A 5 gallon gas tank (the Acerbis 6.6g is just too big) and a rack setup similar to the Dalby would be sweet on the 450 and make it a real candidate for some Eastern Oregon exploring trips. Just don't think either exists. Bummer.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #282
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
I just read Stu's pm, I guess I'd forgotten that I'd posted in this thread.

The tank is pretty tough. A couple of weeks ago my bike kind of got away from me and did a back flip and landed on its side. I ended up on my feet and watched as it flipped. I scored points for the dismount but the judges hammered us for the bike not staying up. I was afraid of what I might find, but the tank was no worse for wear and the only damage was a busted license plate mount.

As far as installation, I had to use the stock petcock and it fits easily on the tank mounts and uses only the center screw to hold it in place.

I got the tank foam on recommendation from others to keep the gas from sloshing and throwing the bike off balance. I got both the tank and foam from justgastanks.com It was pricey but extends my range from ~100 to ~200 miles. I have the orange tank and with the foam it is hard to tell the fuel level so I just keep an eye on my trip meter. I have seen people online rig up sight tubes but I don't think it is necessary.

For me it was worth the cost, but I know that is a personal choice.

Coloradical

Edit: I also like the larger tank when standing up. It isn't much wider than stock near the seat but flares out enough that I get a little better grip when standing up.

Coloradical screwed with this post 07-31-2008 at 01:06 PM
Coloradical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 PM   #283
MOTARDJUNKIE
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I Love This Thread!!!
MOTARDJUNKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:06 PM   #284
Green Stainz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,985
CrazyBrit,

What kind of pc fan did you purchase and how did you install it?

thanks
Green Stainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:20 AM   #285
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Stainz
CrazyBrit,

What kind of pc fan did you purchase and how did you install it?

thanks
Not done it yet. Bought the KTM fan kit (as it was same price as individual parts minus fan). Need to find a PC fan. High quality ball bearing I'm guessing. So far I always see them ziptied onto fins of fan at rear which is lame to me. I guess I'll make some kind of bracket. Ideas welcomed. Pics