Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2007, 05:25 AM   #16
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by privateidaho
I just bought the 525 you see on dsadventures.com, from a great fellow advrider, got it last week and have only put a couple hours on it, dirt road and a little singletrack. A couple things I can tell you already - it is waaay smoother vibration-wise than the LC4 - based on comparing it with my 03 625. I really like the 625 and I'm working on taming the vibes but for me anyway it is hand-numbing at certain revs. Make sure you compare and determine your vibration tolerance. Also I'm wondering about the aluminum subframe on the 525 as far as load carrying goes. It looks pretty wimpy but I'm going to trying it out with a 30lb or so backpack-camping style load and see if it breaks. It's also pretty simple and looks like you could reinforce it... someone has probably already done this...

The subframe is wimpy for sure. If you figure a way to reinforce it please post it up. I have been carrying about 20 lbs in my Mini Beta bag without issue, but I do ride with the bag closer to the seat than the license plate area, for added stability.

Check it.

Baja Designs kit, Moose front fender bag, XC tank and seat combo, Wolfman Enduro tank bag, Wolfman Mini Beta rear bag, Enduro Engineering bash plate. I just put a 50 tooth steel rear sprocket on last night to replace the worn stock 48 tooth aluminum one. It make a huge difference. Can't wait to test it out offroad. I got 2500 miles out of the stock chain and sprocket set. I'm also running Dunlop 606 front and rear. The rear is better than the previous Pirelli MT21 but I don't really like the front. I will probably go with something different up front next time. My next mod is going to be a Renazco seat. I am really tired of having a sore ass after every ride. (Insert gay joke here) Looks to me like a well built seat. The Corbin looks to block off the airbox.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:35 AM   #17
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
BTW- in the dsadventures.com parts list, they incorrectly list the oil cooler as $200 which is wrong, that is a $400 item.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #18
s4awd
Anywhere but here.

Oddometer: 49
Making an RFS do adv riding is like entering a world cup cross country mountain biking event with a bmx bike. You can do it but it's gonna suck. After getting out of the woods, I took my 525 on the highway and immediately was lookiing to get off the next exit and ride the service road. The bike is so light and you're up so high, that I was just waiting to get blown underneath a tractor trailer. All the advantages that a street motorcycle has, speed, brakes, size, don't exist on a dirtbike on tarmac. Later that day I was in my car and a guy on a GS adv just flew by doing 80+ weaving through traffic on the West Side Highway. You ain't gonna see anyone do that on an RFS. BUT.... riding an all out dirtbike around town feels sooo illegal and fun that it's worth buying it even if you never take it out on dirt.
s4awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:25 AM   #19
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland

Very pretty bike, if all you want to do is look at it or someone else is buying the parts. After the first few falls onto rocks it will look like hell and those gorgeous expen$ive handmade alloy pannier tanks will look like road-side trash. I threw away my _plastic_ rear Baja Designs tank, in favor of a monster Acerbis main tank, because it was just getting too torn up by the trail and the chain.

Same for that drop-dead gorgeous fairing - please post some pics of Dakar bikes AFTER the race, so we can see what they look like after the carnage. I simply can't afford to replace a few thousand dollars worth of bodywork after every ride.... My bike has to be crashable:

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #20
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by John E Davies
- please post some pics of Dakar bikes AFTER the race, so we can see what they look like after the carnage.
During:

and after:

Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #21
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan from Finland
During:
SNIP
and after:
Thanks, those are pretty cool pics, and the bikes don't appear damaged, but are there ANY rocks in Dakar, and did any of those pictured bikes actually go down? I can't recall seeing anything but sand and more sand in pics of the race. I've heard of bikes hitting rock ledges at speed, but they are often ledges submerged in dust.

Sand is pretty forgiving stuff for crashing in, unless you're a rider buried in it and choking.... Also, I bet that the pit crew changes out crash damaged bodywork as soon as possible (the pic of the mechanic riding the body-less 109 bike - nice shoes BTW!), because it simply does not look good on camera, and the advertisers and sponsers don't like to see it.

The trouble is, I fall a LOT more than those pro Dakar riders do - if I had alloy pannier tanks I could never go off pavement ;(

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #22
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 885
525 Ds

KTM offers three different wheel / hub combos on the 640. One of them will work on the 525 (I am trying to sort that out now for the 525 I will pick up in 2 weeks). Three measurements must be correct: overall width, sprocket alignment and rotor alignment. So far I have the last two but not the overall width.

My 450 EXC as a dual sport was not blown all over the highway, could cruise comfortably at 65 and excelled off road. It also had almost no vibration. With the EE soft seat it was as comfy for me on the road as my 625 SXC but it had far, far less vibration.

Maintenance on the 450 was minimal. No valve problems surfaced in all the years and miles. It was as reliable as any street bike but a whole lot more fun.

I had a 950, but being a smaller and lighter guy it was just too tall (a wide seat) and the weight was too high (once it started to tip over I went). The 450 was a joy after that. (The 950 did everything the 450 did and I took it places that I should have been on the 450, not the 950, but the 950 always came through.)

Pro Moto makes a billet alloy luggage rack for the new 525 subframe. They say you can carry quite a bit with it unless you are hammering the whoops in which case they say you should not carry more than 15 lbs.

When I get the 525 I will post more info on how it works as a dual sport with the emphasis on off road, which is what I want.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:42 PM   #23
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
Laugh

This is mine, with promobillet rear rack where i install a touratech tool bag or a 5 lts tank with touratech straps depending of the stage i am gonna ride each time.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:52 AM   #24
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride

Oddometer: 2,743
which bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy
what about the 625sxc or huskie te 610. By the time you add all that gear to the 525 its probalby going to be around the 150 kg mark with 25litres of fuel. have a look at the thread in here fat boy has just what your looking for. Everything is a compromise with the enduro type and adventure type riding. Big bike to heavy or small bike not reliable enough due to valves. Everything has it purpose . You need 2 bikes.
I agree the 625 is good, but still to many vibes for bike road ks, the Husky is let down by the lack of big tanks..... Oh what to do!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #25
Para504
Spam, Spam, bacon & Spam!

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd
Making an RFS do adv riding is like entering a world cup cross country mountain biking event with a bmx bike. You can do it but it's gonna suck. After getting out of the woods, I took my 525 on the highway and immediately was lookiing to get off the next exit and ride the service road. The bike is so light and you're up so high, that I was just waiting to get blown underneath a tractor trailer. All the advantages that a street motorcycle has, speed, brakes, size, don't exist on a dirtbike on tarmac. Later that day I was in my car and a guy on a GS adv just flew by doing 80+ weaving through traffic on the West Side Highway. You ain't gonna see anyone do that on an RFS. BUT.... riding an all out dirtbike around town feels sooo illegal and fun that it's worth buying it even if you never take it out on dirt.
+1... My 450EXC "dual sport" was ok on back roads, but I sure wouldn't want to take it on a highway! That was after the EE tall soft seat, Fastway pegs, etc. etc. Its an enduro bike, born & bred. It is what it is... For those not riding aggressively (hammering whoops, etc.), I would seriously recommend looking a DRZ. Its a better setup for a dual sport if not doing rougher enduro conditions. Also in that case, IMO, a 640 (or similar) may be just fine as well.

I'm not saying this to piss ppl off - go invest in whatever floats your boat. The KTM RFS's are great bikes, but if your not using them to what their strengths are, why not consider a more appropriate (& potentially less costly) set up?

As for the LC4, like everything else, its subjective. I find it to be a great dirt road / jeep trail bike, that's "ok" on road & in more technical terrain. Plenty of motor, hauls a lot of crap if you need to. Its tall (which I like), and can carry a lot of fuel. If riding technical terrain, I trim down the gas to about 3 gals & it carries the weight low (big handling difference!). Vibes are there, but are not a show stopper (8k miles on mine). That said, I also ride a 300XCW, so obviously I'm not vibe sensitive :) The vibes on either bike are much more noticable on road (same for RFS, but not as pronounced). I much prefer the LC4 to a RFS if any distance on the road is required.

Para504 screwed with this post 02-03-2007 at 08:44 AM
Para504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #26
Mythic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
IMO it really depends on your individual definition of adventure & just how much maintenece you're willing to put up with.

The rfs isn't an LC4. A LC4 isn't an LC8. They're all built for different purposes & they all have different lifespans.

The real question you need to ask yourself is what's your purpose?

jmo.

BTW- could we all stop using the Paris/Dakar rally as some form of "gold standard" to judge the long term adventure "worthiness" of any particular ride? In case we don't realize it, the bikes are purpose built for the event & disposed of afterwards. Look no further then http://www.rallypanam.com/bikes.html (bikes were pictured earlier in this thread) They built a couple of '05's for the 2006, then did they pull them out of the garage for '07? NO! They built a couple of 06's, & so it goes with racing.

Just because something can be extensively modified to work for 5000 miles, doesn't make it a great candidate for a long range/long term, adventure bike. Look at the number of rfs based bikes that didn't finish event.

Having ranted a bit, I'd love to have a EXC for some short range fun
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #27
alfaris
MOTERO TORERO

Oddometer: 1,150
Laugh

I agree with that.

Dakar bikes are built and re-built each night at the vibouac. Is not a trustable endurance reference. Even in the marathon categorie you can change most of bike components every night.

Long range or short range adventure bike could be the issue here. IMO is about the kind of terrain you are going to find on your trip.

In my case , for Morocco, when i search a hard ride on any kind of terrain available there (sand, camel grass, stones, oueds, etc) i use de 525 that i carry to there on my 4x4. On the other hand , when i search to cover long distances following roads, country roads, tracks, "pistes", etc....., y go with the GS1200ADV.

It is just about using the right tool for the right job.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #28
vuugti
Pretty much...

Oddometer: 379
Does anyone search anymore??????
vuugti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #29
mknauer
neighbor

Oddometer: 20
Are you crazy?

I have a 400 EXC and a 640 Adventure. I would trade both of them, in a second, for the 525 Dakar race bike (pictured in this thread) built by Charlie and his gang of 'Riff Raff'. I have dropped and abused all of my bikes and am always surprised at how well they hold up. I am the one who seems to break. Shoulders, ankles, ribs, etc. KTM makes great motorcycles that work! The key, in my opinion, is selecting the lightest and smallest displacement one in their line that works the best for your needs. I seem to spend more time on my 200 EXC than any of them. I can ride longer and faster in more difficult terrain on that bike. Of course, it has a Rekluse clutch and is easier to ride and I would never (cough, cough) take it on the road.

The person who commented about no rocks in the Dakar needs to read or watch Charley Boorman's 'Race to Dakar'. One of the many obstacles is rocks, rocks, and more rocks.

With this said, check out the www.rallypanam.com website and look at what was done to those bikes. Very cool. Very fast. I bet that they are fun to ride.
'03 VESPA PX150
'06 VESPA LX150

Dreamin of the next real adventure (not a bike)!

MK
mknauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #30
Odysseus
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuugti
Does anyone search anymore??????
No. BTW, what kind of oil should I use in my.....

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote