Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #3361
jtrue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashapave View Post
Awesome Ride! Thanks for posting it up! I've nearly got my gear in order for camping off the EXC, you've inspired me to give it a shot!
Glad you liked it. You need a lot less then you would think to camp off the bike comfortably...
jtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #3362
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,616
Your thoughts, please

My 2007 525 EXC, which runs fine in the 5-8000 feet range where it is normally ridden, overheated quite a bit on a recent trip to the Colorado San Juan mountains (~8-13000 feet). I did not re-jet for the trip. It was definitely worse when I was loaded up with gear (see photo below). In fact, it burped a little coolant at the end of a an hour long highway section at high speed in cool weather from Silverton to Durango. I have a fan and an oil cooler.

My hypotheses are:

1. jetting too rich (if so, why did it continue in Durango at 7K')
2. rad cap too old
3. rad cap too old given the extra weight.
4. All of the above

I will be going back to the San Juans in a couple of weeks, with no extra weight, so I'm especially curious about your jetting thoughts. Thanks.

Steve

selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:34 AM   #3363
StanS
New Guy On The Block

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
My 2007 525 EXC, which runs fine in the 5-8000 feet range where it is normally ridden, overheated quite a bit on a recent trip to the Colorado San Juan mountains (~8-13000 feet). I did not re-jet for the trip. It was definitely worse when I was loaded up with gear (see photo below). In fact, it burped a little coolant at the end of a an hour long highway section at high speed in cool weather from Silverton to Durango. I have a fan and an oil cooler.

My hypotheses are:

2. rad cap too old
4. All of the above

I will be going back to the San Juans in a couple of weeks, with no extra weight, so I'm especially curious about your jetting thoughts. Thanks.

Steve
Can't see a rich condition causing you to overheat especially as altitude decreased unless the bike was just working too hard with the rich conditions. Lean would usually cause this problem.

Radiator caps do go bad!. Had one bad on a bike right off of the showroom. I switch all of mine to 1.8 bar caps from the stock 1.4 immediately.

Did you have your radiator too full? should be just over the top of the fins not filled completely as it need some expansion room.

High speed......How high?
StanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #3364
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:

My hypotheses are:

2. rad cap too old
4. All of the above

Steve
Was your fan running constantly?

I agree with Stan, a rich condition would not likely be a factor.

At realy high altitudes the fan won't push air as well as it would down lower. Do you think that maybe you were just going slower, letting it idle more, checking out the scenery, ect.?

I use the same jetting in the San Juans and out at Southern/Rainbow.
cross-country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #3365
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:

My hypotheses are:

2. rad cap too old
4. All of the above

What needle are you running in the carb? If it's the stock needle (not enough taper), you may be jetted right for 1/4-1/2 throttle, but lean for 3/4. With the extra weight, you may have been using more throttle, and running in the lean area? Just a thought, but kind of a long shot.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #3366
jtrue
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:

My hypotheses are:

2. rad cap too old
4. All of the above

Steve

I have an 06 525 EXC w/ fan, I run the JD Jet Kit. I'm in SLC, and jetted for about 7k-11k. I recently took a 800 mile 4 day trip to CO, mostly on singletrack riding 8k-12.5k in elevation. Didn't boil over once even at ~6k and 100 degrees near Grand Junction. Jetting is JD Red Needle 4th clip from top, 42 pilot, 170 main. Probably could have gone down to a 168 main, but felt the bike ran fine with a 170. I had about 30 lbs of gear on the bike, 15 more then normal w/ water/food. I also carried it in a Giant Loop. Only thing I noticed was my suspension wasn't up to the task.

I would check the radiator cap, flush the system, burp the system, then play with your jetting.
jtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #3367
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Answers to the questions: The needle is a JD needle. I can't remember the specs off hand, but it's jetted for perfection at ~7K' (which took forever to get right!). I doubt I got to 3/4 throttle on the jeep roads. It was freshly flushed (maybe 200 easy dual sport miles) and has new Engine Ice. I didn't have the problem the day before when the only things I was carrying were a toolkit + tubes + small tank bag. I'm sure the camping gear, clothes, etc. weighed quite a bit...but I didn't have any problem on the way to Ouray from Albuquerque. I suppose it's possible I overfilled, but considering how much I lost, that seems unlikely. You would expect it to taper off as it got to the right level. Speed from Silverton to Durango was ~45-60 mph...plenty of cool wind flowing. The fan was on the whole time for the jeep roads, don't know about the highway but I assume so due to the overheating. I don't think I was going slow on the jeep roads. In fact, I was hustling to keep the air and coolant moving. I kept taking breaks to let it cool down.

I have a new stock rad cap. Where do you get the 1.8s? I've heard that heat tape on the header helps, but it seems counter-intuitive (i.e., heat can only escape through the very end of the exhaust system). Any experience with heat tape as a cure to overheating?

Mostly I just wanted to know if anyone else had the same issue and had narrowed down a cause. I'll post again after the next Ouray trip in a couple of weeks.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #3368
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,453
Man, I ride in similar conditions with similar jetting all the time and never boil. Sound's like there's something going on. Impeller?

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #3369
StanS
New Guy On The Block

Quote:
Answers to the questions: The needle is a JD needle. I can't remember the specs off hand, but it's jetted for perfection at ~7K' (which took forever to get right!). I doubt I got to 3/4 throttle on the jeep roads. It was freshly flushed (maybe 200 easy dual sport miles) and has new Engine Ice. I didn't have the problem the day before when the only things I was carrying were a toolkit + tubes + small tank bag. I'm sure the camping gear, clothes, etc. weighed quite a bit...but I didn't have any problem on the way to Ouray from Albuquerque. I suppose it's possible I overfilled, but considering how much I lost, that seems unlikely. You would expect it to taper off as it got to the right level. Speed from Silverton to Durango was ~45-60 mph...plenty of cool wind flowing. The fan was on the whole time for the jeep roads, don't know about the highway but I assume so due to the overheating. I don't think I was going slow on the jeep roads. In fact, I was hustling to keep the air and coolant moving. I kept taking breaks to let it cool down.

I have a new stock rad cap. Where do you get the 1.8s? I've heard that heat tape on the header helps, but it seems counter-intuitive (i.e., heat can only escape through the very end of the exhaust system). Any experience with heat tape as a cure to overheating?

Mostly I just wanted to know if anyone else had the same issue and had narrowed down a cause. I'll post again after the next Ouray trip in a couple of weeks.
I get the 1.8 bar caps from my local KTM dealer. I just ask for them and they have them.

You are correct that an over fill will settle down once there is room for expansion.

I have used heat tape. I would not consider it a cure or even use it as a preventative measure for cooling the engine. It does help a bit in cutting the transfer of heat to the tank and carb. Oh yea and your leg. Supposedly it does aid in increasing power BUT I can't tell a difference and do not use it for that purpose.

If the fan was running during the cruising portions of the ride than you definitely have something going on. Like one poster mentioned, you might want to inspect your impeller.

Here are a couple of other possibilities:
One or more of your hoses may be degrading and not flowing correctly.

If you still have your Thermostat, it may be stuck closed or partially stuck.

You may have some garbage in the carb that is restricting fuel flow causing the bike to be a little lean as compared to your normal jetting.

There could be something going on internally creating more friction thus causing the additional heat in the system

Of course, I am just throwing out suggestions that come to mind. Something has obviously changed on the bike, but what????
Old 08-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #3370
Julito
Ecuador

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
One of the most incredible stories I've seen of someone who has used a KTM 525 as an adventure bike (hope this kind of crosspost is acceptable and in the spirit of Advrider) :

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712492
Thank you very much for your comment.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #3371
Julito
Ecuador

Oddometer: 14
Hello Amigos,

I am very happy to say that my bike and me reached our goal. We have successfully joined both ends of this continent: Ushuaia and Prudhoe Bay. I am on my way back to Ecuador and hope to make there as soon as I can.

You can see pictures of the trip on my Facebook account. The link is on my page www.juliovelastegui.com .

Please take much care.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #3372
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Awesome.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #3373
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julito View Post
Hello Amigos,

I am very happy to say that my bike and me reached our goal. We have successfully joined both ends of this continent: Ushuaia and Prudhoe Bay. I am on my way back to Ecuador and hope to make there as soon as I can.

Please take much care.
Congrats and you take care getting back!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #3374
StanS
New Guy On The Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julito View Post
Hello Amigos,

You can see pictures of the trip on my Facebook account. The link is on my page www.juliovelastegui.com .

Please take much care.
That is an impressive accomplishment! Impressive is not a strong enough term so let's make it freaking impressive!

Ride safe Julito.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #3375
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:

Selzanog - I had an issue that was similiar. just running fireroads in Laos with plenty of speed to keep the rads cool and i heard the fan running (it did not make sense), and this was after topping up a low radiator the night before. it turns out the water pump seal was leaking and losing enough water to cause the bike to run hot. Funny thing is I never noticed the steam from the water leaking past the seal, out the weep hole and onto the hot motor while riding. Check your weep hole for evidence of water leaking past the seal resulting in underfilled radiators and hot temps that end up turning your fan on. Just a thought.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote