Oddometer: 90
U. G. L. Y.!

Nothing a little JB Weld won't fix.
StanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 PM   #3467
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,644
Just talked to Rekluse- they're going to warranty the part.

Here's an interesting tidbit about cush hub, etc.

The stock clutch has a bit of dampening built in, but the Rekluse does not.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #3468
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
Here's an interesting tidbit about cush hub, etc.

The stock clutch has a bit of dampening built in, but the Rekluse does not.
I would think the very nature of the clamping mechanism of the Rekluse provides a good bit of damping! The Rekluse applies the power much more smoothly than I ever could!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #3469
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
I would think the very nature of the clamping mechanism of the Rekluse provides a good bit of damping! The Rekluse applies the power much more smoothly than I ever could!
Yeah- that's what I thought. But it ain't so. I suppose it's all in the setup- mine comes on hard and fast. Maybe a little too much of both. Throttle moderation might help, though.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 10-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #3470
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,750
Quote:
I suppose it's all in the setup- mine comes on hard and fast.
Bingo. I've got mine set to engage gently. One can also start off in 2nd gear if you want to keep the more aggressive engagement setting.
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #3471
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermind View Post
No, once it's engaged, it's locked up just like a normal clutch, no slip. There's no damping going on; if the engagement is smooth, it's just like slipping your stock clutch manually. Totally different thing from a cush damper.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:24 AM   #3472
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,950
so does that make it a good thing or a bad thing to run a cush hub with a Rekluse clutch?

I'm thinking of running one to make up for my wonky right foot, opinions?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:27 AM   #3473
StanS
New Guy On The Block

Oddometer: 90
I haven't run one with a Rekluse but I see absolutely no reason it would not be a good thing!
StanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:30 AM   #3474
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,448
Has anyone used one of these Kush sprockets?

http://www.kushsprockets.com/

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #3475
FakeName

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
No, once it's engaged, it's locked up just like a normal clutch, no slip. There's no damping going on; if the engagement is smooth, it's just like slipping your stock clutch manually. Totally different thing from a cush damper.
Far be it from me to disagree with an engineer- regardless of AT&SF, AMTRAK or B&O but I think it does share some similarities- the effects are the same.

All a dampener does is reduce shock to the driveline. That shock requires energy from the motor, and some sort of resistance from the driveline- typically in our case, it's traction.

If power is applied to a slack driveline with lots of traction, that force is similar to an impact- think of bungee jumping vs. tying steel cables to your ankles. You still fall the same amount, and you still weigh the same, but the energy is dispersed differently.

A cush hub uses rubber blocks to dampen the shock to the driveline. A stock clutch also has some dampening built in. But a Rekluse set up agressively has little dampening effect.

Yondering and I agree (I hope) that while technically speaking a clutch (of any sort) is not dampening, it will have a similar effect- the bungee vs the steel cable.

I see no reason NOT to run a Rekluse and a cush hub. Had I a cush hub, I'd certainly run it.

My problem is I've very ham-fisted with my bike, and the constant forceful application and removal of power has its obvious effects.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
Old 10-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #3476
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
A stock clutch also has some dampening built in. But a Rekluse set up agressively has little dampening effect.
I can't see how the stock clutch offers any kind of damping, unless your clutch was toast and slipping.

Explain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
so does that make it a good thing or a bad thing to run a cush hub with a Rekluse clutch?

I'm thinking of running one to make up for my wonky right foot, opinions?
Mike, you probably already have a damped hub on the back of your 525 (I'm assuming that since it was a rally build). It doesn't matter if you have a damped hub or not with an auto clutch. I would just run what you have.

The Rekluse is really great, and I am a big fan of auto clutches, and have had both the Rekluse Pro in the 640 and a Dyna Ring in the 525 (although I took it out for ice riding, as it can be a little hard on the clutch since there is soooo much traction). If your right foot is the issue, I would recommend the Rekluse Pro, and go with the LHRB. I probably will do it myself in the spring when I reinstall it.

Is the tat on your right calf broken bones? I saw a picture of you in the Hino and that's what it looks like to me.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #3477
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
I
Mike, you probably already have a damped hub on the back of your 525 (I'm assuming that since it was a rally build). It doesn't matter if you have a damped hub or not with an auto clutch. I would just run what you have.

The Rekluse is really great, and I am a big fan of auto clutches, and have had both the Rekluse Pro in the 640 and a Dyna Ring in the 525 (although I took it out for ice riding, as it can be a little hard on the clutch since there is soooo much traction). If your right foot is the issue, I would recommend the Rekluse Pro, and go with the LHRB. I probably will do it myself in the spring when I reinstall it.

Is the tat on your right calf broken bones? I saw a picture of you in the Hino and that's what it looks like to me.
yeah Brian I've got 2 cush hub wheels and the original non cush wheel too so I'm definitely covered there. I'll stick to the cush for the little extra bit of comfort and yes the tat is the xray from the first time I broke it. One of the complications resulted in not being able to point that foot worth a damn so my rear braking ability suffers. I'll PM you in a bit to discuss what you were doing with yours.

thanks for the tips
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #3478
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
yeah Brian I've got 2 cush hub wheels and the original non cush wheel too so I'm definitely covered there. I'll stick to the cush for the little extra bit of comfort and yes the tat is the xray from the first time I broke it. One of the complications resulted in not being able to point that foot worth a damn so my rear braking ability suffers. I'll PM you in a bit to discuss what you were doing with yours.

thanks for the tips

Nothing wrong with my foot/ leg, I just ride better with an auto clutch, and it feels like it is easier on the bike as well. A friend of mine wants to set his brakes up the same way they are on his downhill MTB, then he'd have that much more control.

Is it winter yet? I have a pile of these on the way.

plus

equals

Old 10-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #3479
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
I can't see how the stock clutch offers any kind of damping, unless your clutch was toast and slipping.

This.

The clutch itself (stock or Rekluse) does not dampen anything, unless it's slipping. If the clutch is slipping all the time, you're doing it wrong. Once the clutch is engaged, there is no damping effect. A cush hub dampens vibrations all the time.

Some clutch hubs (like in cars) have damping mechanisms, but that is separate from the clutch itself.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #3480
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,481
Damper.

Not Dampener; it doesn't make things wet.

kthanksby