Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #3556
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVJake View Post
what sort of riding?
A mix of everything really. Lot's of mountain jeep roads and singletrack, plus lots of high-speed running on gravel and pavement.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #3557
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
I should send mine in I guess. I just did same distance on my 07 450 with HT cooler. Mobil 1 15w50 to begin, at 700 miles (no filter change), at 1600 miles (filter and oil). I need to change oil now.
I'd be interested to see what sort of levels you get compared to mine.
Here are my results. I think I did 2500 miles on the TAT. First change was at 800 miles, just oil. Second change was at 1600 miles and was oil and filter (no screens). The analysis sample was taken when i got back at 2500 miles. Oil was all Mobil-1 15w50 silver cap automotive which is what Bill Sr at HT Racing recommends for the HT oil cooler (well, kinda, hard to tell if it's the silver or the now discontinued gold/EP that he recommends, he's a bit hard to pin down ).

Not sure on the silicon. Before the trip I installed one of the PC racing neoprene gaskets (in lieu of using rim grease). No sign of any dirt in the airbox and I'm careful installing the filters to make sure they are correctly installed. Was using filter skins swapping daily. I probably cleaned/oiled the filter ever 6 days. It was dirty by this point but nothing I thought was horrid.

One thing I noticed when I came to change the oil for the analysis sample was a bunch of red goop on the screen. I'm wondering if this is flakes of epoxy from when I sprayed my DIY stator rewind. If I see same at next change I need to pull the stator and take a look, which I should do anyways since I wound according to Spokanister instructions which are totally wrong. Obviously this led me to wonder if it was somehow a factor in the oil analysis results.

crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #3558
sashapave
riders on the strom

Oddometer: 1,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I dropped it off at Highland Cycles in Montrose; Morgan's doing a top end; kibblewhite valves (yay!) and cam chain, new seals, etc. And looking it all over to make sure it's good to go. It was using a tiny bit of oil, but I was almost out of adjustment on the intake valves, and the cam chain noise was getting bad. 290+ hrs are on it if I remember correctly.
Just out of curiosity what will all this run you? I'm going to be looking at a similar service in the not-so-distant future.
A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for. -Admiral Grace Hopper
sashapave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #3559
StanS
New Guy On The Block

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Here are my results. I think I did 2500 miles on the TAT. First change was at 800 miles, just oil. Second change was at 1600 miles and was oil and filter (no screens). The analysis sample was taken when i got back at 2500 miles. Oil was all Mobil-1 15w50 silver cap automotive which is what Bill Sr at HT Racing recommends for the HT oil cooler (well, kinda, hard to tell if it's the silver or the now discontinued gold/EP that he recommends, he's a bit hard to pin down ).

Not sure on the silicon. Before the trip I installed one of the PC racing neoprene gaskets (in lieu of using rim grease). No sign of any dirt in the airbox and I'm careful installing the filters to make sure they are correctly installed. Was using filter skins swapping daily. I probably cleaned/oiled the filter ever 6 days. It was dirty by this point but nothing I thought was horrid.

One thing I noticed when I came to change the oil for the analysis sample was a bunch of red goop on the screen. I'm wondering if this is flakes of epoxy from when I sprayed my DIY stator rewind. If I see same at next change I need to pull the stator and take a look, which I should do anyways since I wound according to Spokanister instructions which are totally wrong. Obviously this led me to wonder if it was somehow a factor in the oil analysis results.

Is this a relatively fresh rebuild on this motor? If so how many times have the screens been cleaned? It looks a lot like "assembly fluff" from a fresh rebuild but not as much as the first cleaning.
StanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #3560
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanS View Post
Is this a relatively fresh rebuild on this motor? If so how many times have the screens been cleaned? It looks a lot like "assembly fluff" from a fresh rebuild but not as much as the first cleaning.
I bought the bike used with 1357 miles on it. I changed the oil for the first time, installed the home rewound stator/ht cooler and checked the valves at 1440 miles/68 hrs. Changed oil and checked valves (before I left for the TAT) at 1785 miles/82 hrs. Both times the screens were checked and clear. Picture with the red specs on the filter was taken when I got back from the TAT, 4349 miles/160 hrs.

I'll do another oil change at about 500 miles and see what the screens look like ..... undecided if I'll send it off to Blackstone.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #3561
StanS
New Guy On The Block

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
I bought the bike used with 1357 miles on it. I changed the oil for the first time, installed the home rewound stator/ht cooler and checked the valves at 1440 miles/68 hrs. Changed oil and checked valves (before I left for the TAT) at 1785 miles/82 hrs. Both times the screens were checked and clear. Picture with the red specs on the filter was taken when I got back from the TAT, 4349 miles/160 hrs.

I'll do another oil change at about 500 miles and see what the screens look like ..... undecided if I'll send it off to Blackstone.
Probably not assembly fluff then. Just looks like the lint and case sealer after a rebuild.
StanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:45 PM   #3562
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanS View Post
Probably not assembly fluff then. Just looks like the lint and case sealer after a rebuild.
I sprayed the stator with this stuff (red). It's mentioned on the spokanister rewind site. If I keep seeing deposits on the screens, as I said, I'll pull the stator and have a looksie.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #3563
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashapave View Post
Just out of curiosity what will all this run you? I'm going to be looking at a similar service in the not-so-distant future.
Not sure yet; I'll let you know. We do a lot of trade back and forth so I'm not sure for dollar amount yet.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #3564
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,728
Any of you guys have experience revalving the suspension on these RFSs? Anyone do it better than another? Ive been trying to get an idea of how Bruce's Terrain Tamer front forks compare to others revalves as he has a pretty good price and he isn't half way across the country.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #3565
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by header View Post
Any of you guys have experience revalving the suspension on these RFSs? Anyone do it better than another? Ive been trying to get an idea of how Bruce's Terrain Tamer front forks compare to others revalves as he has a pretty good price and he isn't half way across the country.

I'm curious to hear opinions also. I know Gaspipe raves about the Terrain Tamer for the RFS bikes. I'm thinking of getting mine done and I was pondering sending them to Bruce vs local NorthWest places where I could just drop-off (MotoPro, Konflict etc).

crazybrit screwed with this post 11-21-2011 at 07:45 PM
Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #3566
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
I'm curious to hear opinions also. I know Gaspipe raves about the Terrain Tamer for the RFS bikes. I'm thinking of getting mine done and I was pondering sending them to Bruce vs local NorthWest places where I could just drop-off (MotoPro, Konflict etc).
Thats where im at as well. I've found only one local tuner who has accreted work to his valving for the WP stuff but its not all that local. Im sure the other big ($$$) places can do a good job but there half way across the country, I don't want to have to ship my stuff out there a handful of times to get it right when ive got what seems to be a decent tuner a couple of states away. At least the time for shipping would be a little better with him.

I sent a PM to GP asking about his oppinion of the TT forks, he hasn't replied yet but it seems he is an extremely busy person so thats no suprise. I can't think of anyone else I can ask for a personal review. Reading about them on Bruce's website makes them sound like the setup is a very flexible one, thats something I like a lot. Where I ride there are two very distinct types of terrain that call for the two biggest compromises in dirt bikeing. Tires and suspension. If TT forks get rid of a little of that compromise im all in.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 AM   #3567
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
My '05 525 exc right now.

I have the same model

Mine needs to be complete (and tested) by Thursday at 630pm for the LAb2V. All I need is the motor (building) and the front wheel (built, ready at the shop) and some time.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 AM   #3568
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Not sure on the silicon.
Silicon could also be from the aluminum piston.

Quote:
...since I wound according to Spokanister instructions which are totally wrong.
Can you share more details on this? What part of it is wrong? I can't remember if I followed spokanister or Trail Tech instructions when I wound mine, maybe I did mine wrong too.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #3569
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
Silicon could also be from the aluminum piston.
Yeah, I suppose I'm down for another test from Blackstone but at maybe 450 rather than 900 miles to see if it's related to the longer 900 mile interval.

Quote:
Can you share more details on this? What part of it is wrong? I can't remember if I followed spokanister or Trail Tech instructions when I wound mine, maybe I did mine wrong too.
Search back here. Luke posted. Basically wrap as much wire around the poles (obviously each pole same) isn't the correct approach. There is a given number of wraps that is optimal for your desired end result, either way, that isn't "max it out". We tested mine and it's a net loss to the charging system with just the headlight on. Fan plus headlight and I'm kicking.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:28 PM   #3570
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 828
I can answer any questions you might have, send me a PM...