I just puked a little in my mouth

SFS
southforkspeedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #3617
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,482
Quote:

If you'll run a 3/8" drill through it a couple times your muffler for a 3hp lawnmower wont restrict your 50hp racing bred motorcycle to the point of overheating and melting your pant leg.

What color is your KLR?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:41 PM   #3618
dejr2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY View Post
If you'll run a 3/8" drill through it a couple times your muffler for a 3hp lawnmower wont restrict your 50hp racing bred motorcycle to the point of overheating and melting your pant leg.

What color is your KLR?
dejr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #3619
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,956
blue?
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #3620
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 360
Safari Tank question

Does anyone know if a safari tank from an 08 525exc will fit on an 04 525 exc? I know the frames are different but how much modification is needed to make it work?

Anyone done it before?

Cheers,
Oh yeah, GO NEDURO!
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:28 PM   #3621
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,887
This was the first time on the new tires, and they are ice destroyers! It took a while to trust them, but once we did, you could really hang it out there.

Here, enjoy some crappy unedited video.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #3622
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
EXC mods

I've been doing a few mods to my EXC that some may be interested in.

I purchased this bike used in December of 2011 with about 2,200 miles on it and it was extremely well taken care of.
I was thankful the previous owner was totally honest about the entire bike and it was as perfect as you can get--not something that you always get.
Honesty---or a perfect bike.

I haven't raced in years---and have no itention of racing this bike---so I will take it a little bit out of it's element---not a lot ---but a little.
If you take a bike very far out of it's element you can be very dissapointed in it's performance for what you want it to do.
That is----don't single track a KLR and don't run a 450EXC down the interstate !!!!!

The GPR steering damper came on the bike----but a few other things I've added.
The Garmin 60CXS gps with touratech mount----I much prefer the garmin 276C and have an extra one but wanted to
keep a smaller unit on this bike.

I installed "Hot Grip" brand heated grips---these are my favorite. They are very well made, work well and are much bigger around
than stock grips. I find the large circumference makes riding much lest fatiquing for me-----and I have these on my other 3 bikes.
It's just so much easier hanging on to the bars---and easier to twist the throttle as they give you a little more leverage---which may seem
trivial---but help on a very long ride.
See that wire coming from the grip to the handlebars ???? That wire has to flex a lot everytime you twist the throttle and you'd think it would break.
Fear not----my KLR has 56,000 miles on it---and the wire has never broken----44,000 on my 950----29,000 on my WR250R.

I made this little bracket to turn them on and off and you can see the switch-----now about the wiring.
I've opted to keep the AC lighting for my headlights and powered the grips off that same AC circuit.
There is about 100 watts of AC available on these bikes---plenty to run the lights and grips.
These grips work equally on AC or DC. I didn't use the resistor so I would have a high and low setting for the grips.
Why ??? you ask. I wanted to keep this bike simple and also the aluminum bars soak up quite a bit of the grips
heat output---I found this out some time ago--they work much better on cheap carbon steel bars.
So----------I don't need the low setting.

The touratech gps mount is made for crossbar mounting, but this bike has no crossbar and I made this
bracket in my shop. You can also see on that bolt in the lower left corner where I grounded my heated grips.

The stock 2.1 gallon tank that came with the bike would take me nowhere---this 3.1 from Clark not much farther--but i have a 6.6
standing by for when it's needed. I marked the opaque tank so I'd no how much gas I have left.
I really wanted a Safari 4.1
But it had a 4 month wait from Austrailia.

The nice sturdy handguards came with the bike---and I put on a cheap folding mirror--which you can't see out of.
For the riding I'll be doing with this bike it will be fine---and it's legal !!!
I put a Wolfman enduro tank bag on it---looks like it's in your way--but it's not.

I don't care if the bike is 100% legal---it's got a headlight and tailight and legal plate.
The rest of the legalities I'll not pursue. I've got some offroad riding planned for this bike and
it will be a well suited when I go back to Baja. This is about all I'll do to it----I do have another
seat coming for it tho.
If and when I travel on it---I'll probably put some very minimal very light luggage on it
such as the stuff made by Giant Loop------or maybe not !!!!

KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #3623
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,559
nice bike Big Dog ! ! ! !
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #3624
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
nice bike Big Dog ! ! ! !
Thanks ---it was a very good find--should last this old Dog for years.
I've had a couple 520's---but have really always wanted a 400-----It's just me but
I've always found smaller bikes easier and faster to ride in difficult terrain---even
back when I was racing. The bigger the bike--the slower I went ?????

BigDog
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:35 PM   #3625
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 494
Looks good Mark. I just got my 525 set up for Baja. I'll get some pic's tomorrow.
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #3626
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,482
http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=442289

Tried to blow that bitch up. Couldn't quite do it.

Now shit gets expensive.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #3627
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Spinning tires, and rippin' stems. Can't keep air in these tires! Excuse the fuzzy iphone pictures. It really does take better pictures (still not an acceptable substitute for a camera though. Phones never are), but my fingers were frozen.

Old 01-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #3628
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,956
[QUOTE=B-Rod;17810168]Spinning tires, and rippin' stems. Can't keep air in these tires! Excuse the fuzzy iphone pictures. It really does take better pictures (still not an acceptable substitute for a camera though. Phones never are), but my fingers were frozen.

time to put the mousses in
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #3629
B-Rod
RubberNecker

[QUOTE=skibum69;17814658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Spinning tires, and rippin' stems. Can't keep air in these tires! Excuse the fuzzy iphone pictures. It really does take better pictures (still not an acceptable substitute for a camera though. Phones never are), but my fingers were frozen.

time to put the mousses in
I wish that were an option, but there are is simply no room in the tire. There are already two cut down street tires in there as liners for the screws to bite into. It's hard enough getting a skinny little 3.00 tube in there. The rim lock broke, tire spun, and the rest is obvious. Mine is holding, but the 530 needs some help. I've already been talking to an ice racing expert, and he says one rim lock is enough. I think it broke because of the stress. In deep snow, it would rev to the limiter, then it would hook up in the ice with the serious ferocity. Fun though.

The ice isn't thick enough to plow just yet, otherwise we wouldn't be having traction problems.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #3630
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Cody sorry to here the motor go south on you. I guess you got a bit of a project on your hands now. You asked about vibration on the larger bores. I've been running a 570 for a few years now. There is some additional vibration from the bigger bore, not horrific or offputting at all but i did notice it. On my trips i have to slog sometimes on the pavement. I'm in Lao again on the 570 and had to spend all day getting to the border on pavement. No problems with hands falling alsleep or going numb but it does buzz more than the stock bore. If you're happy w/the 525 power and don't need anymore stay stock. However the diference between the 525 and 570 (I also have a cam and lightened flywheel) is huge and well worth it for the grins. I'm riding with a KTM 690R on this trip and the 570 accelerates harder. I also had my crank balanced and mounted w/annular bearings to help smooth out any vibes from the crank but I did not notice enough difference with the balanced crank to warrant it unless you are having crank work done. I rode the 570 w/stock crank for two years.

B-Rod the 525 on the ice looks a hoot. I'd love to try that one time. Does the rear tire spin up or stick like velcro?

A couple hot humid pics to balance B-Rods snowy pics.

570 setting off for Lao w/two tubes for a friend in the plastic bag.

The trail ended at the Mekong river in northern Laos. Flagged down a passing boat for a ride as noway to cross the Mekong (7 tourists died last year trying to swim across it but got swept away with the current). Needed a ride 7 KM's down the river before finding a track on the other side of the river to continue the ride.

He's got a six cylinder Toyota motor powering the boat and it bloody moved well. Though we had to get to shore when we passed a cargo boat as the high center of gravity from the 525 loaded threatened to tip us over in its wake. Fun way to cover 7 KM's.

The 570 taking a break in the remote mountains of Laos.

Four days into the trip now and enjoying it. I tried Tubliss and love them on my other bike but on long trips I had issues with them not holding. I would love to get them sorted for my long trips as they work wonders for bike handling. Carrying four tubes along really adds weight and girth to my GiantLoop. I hate carrying the weight Back to tubes this trip and all is not perfect

Even with 17 pounds still having issues. not sure what happended here as I did not hit anything at hard at speed and run rim locks. Did I mention I hate tubes and flats. I might try Michelin mouses next.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote