Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 06:28 AM   #3661
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
I run the Shorai batteries in all my bikes because they have a lot of cranking power and I have drown most of my bikes in deep water yearly. The berg can go right up to the steering head! Amazing but the pesky beavers sometimes win!
No battery issues restarting on any of them if you take a methodical approach:

Remove the air filter and squeeze dry and place in sun or hang to dry.
Stand the bike up to drain the water out of the header and exhaust.
Crank the bike for a a couple turns to get rid of any water in the piston and head.
Set bike down to normal position.
Have someone hold the throttle open to help dry out the plug. (make sure your motor did not stop on TDC put in gear and roll it off TDC)
Check your oil level and see if you have water in your crank case.
If you do drain some oil or all ( if you carry oil ) to bring the level down
Now after 20 minutes the plug is usually dry enough to try a few cranks with the throttle slightly cracked to allow more air in. Try a few cranks 5 to 6 seconds and then wait a few minutes and repeat until she fires up.
The reinstall air filter.and ride back to do 4 to 5 oil changes that will get any remaining water out.
I also carry small motorcycle jumper cables when in a large group sharing tools and spare tubes etc.
I have yet to need to use the jumper cables.

The key is to take your time and dont panic. Having done this dozens of times helps with confidence.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #3662
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,982
If your engine oil has some water in it and goes milky don't worry about it to much, it takes bugger all water to turn oil milky so unless your oil level is a lot more than usual I would just run the motor.

Normal oil running temp gets high enough to evaporate the water out of it.
Doesn't take to long for all the water to boil out, proably an hour of riding and it would be near new again.

Saying that I did have a customer with so much water in his outboards sump that the oil pump never got to see the oil again it just floated on top of the water and never got a chance to mix.
He ran it for hrs without a drama but once he stopped it and left it for a few days she was all over.
It was one big lump of rust inside.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #3663
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
I run the Shorai batteries in all my bikes because they have a lot of cranking power and I have drown most of my bikes in deep water yearly. The berg can go right up to the steering head! Amazing but the pesky beavers sometimes win!
No battery issues restarting on any of them if you take a methodical approach:

Remove the air filter and squeeze dry and place in sun or hang to dry.
Stand the bike up to drain the water out of the header and exhaust.
Crank the bike for a a couple turns to get rid of any water in the piston and head.
Set bike down to normal position.
Have someone hold the throttle open to help dry out the plug. (make sure your motor did not stop on TDC put in gear and roll it off TDC)
Check your oil level and see if you have water in your crank case.
If you do drain some oil or all ( if you carry oil ) to bring the level down
Now after 20 minutes the plug is usually dry enough to try a few cranks with the throttle slightly cracked to allow more air in. Try a few cranks 5 to 6 seconds and then wait a few minutes and repeat until she fires up.
The reinstall air filter.and ride back to do 4 to 5 oil changes that will get any remaining water out.
I also carry small motorcycle jumper cables when in a large group sharing tools and spare tubes etc.
I have yet to need to use the jumper cables.

The key is to take your time and dont panic. Having done this dozens of times helps with confidence.
Thanks for the tips Indy. On my shopping list when back in the states are a Lithium battery to try out. This trip had a brand new Yuasa 7 amp and still had some issues. Did all what you mentioned and even rinsed the plug in gas and let dry with the aircleaner on the seat of the 690. You can see the aircleaner in the background on the seat.

The amount of water that we would drain out of the header each time made me laugh, bloody ridiculous amounts.

Drjoe - Thanks for the reply. Now this was always my biggest concern with drowned bikes, the oil in the water. I'm always paranoid about the lubrication qualities of the oil when contaminated with water. My concern is the bearings getting hammered with the water in the oil. So you think I'm being overly paranoid and should just run it and evaporate the water? i'd like to hear opinions on this since at times I do not always have enough oil to change it.

Thanks all.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #3664
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
You can run the motor with some water in it but to much can lead to a mechanical failure due to the potential for Hydrolock. Oil and water will foam and expand as the water heats up. the foaming solution will tear up paper and even stainless steel filters (like Scotts) dont ask why I know! So you are OK with a little water but if you get a water bottle full you should drain it ( remember the oil will float on top of the water so drain the bottom slowly and you will get mostly water. I carry 1 quart of oil on adventure rides with dirt bikes as the best way to deal with a lot of water.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #3665
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 914
Oil and Water

Don't forget that a lot of water carries contaminants (think sandy crap). You have to get that out. Every time I have been submerged I have had these particles come out with the oil. You will have to flush that out. Repeated oil changes are really a requirement.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #3666
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,741
Hey guys, I started a thread yesterday. You guys might find it interesting..or you could tell me all the things i'm doing wrong

Header's 525 refresh

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #3667
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer

Oddometer: 198
Subscribe

I am longing to get a 525 and adventurize it, but I am undecided whether to get a supposedly good condition one or a real beaten up dog and then do it up myself. I am just sick of buying supposedly good condition bikes only to find out afterwards that they were really wrecked.
espressodrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #3668
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Gents thanks for the replies on the oil and water dilemma.

My Girlfriend messed up and instead of a Husaberg Airbox for valentines all I got was a pampered homecooked meal. Not near as exciting as a good airbox but I tried to make the best of it.

Boring but a lot better than spending $200 on an overpriced valentines dinner in Los Angeles.

espressodrinker Today 05:56 AM
Quote:
Subscribe

I am longing to get a 525 and adventurize it, but I am undecided whether to get a supposedly good condition one or a real beaten up dog and then do it up myself. I am just sick of buying supposedly good condition bikes only to find out afterwards that they were really wrecked.
No problems Expresso, you can buy mine. Excellent condition, 570 hours of nothing but gentle riding, never abused, and only worked on in the most sterile environments.

Rebuilding one will get you confident in your mounts condition for sure but I've found its usually the much more expensive route to go. If you find a well used 525 that needs a top end and valves. thats more than $1200 there, and people selling thrashed bikes I find have not kept up on maintenance in other areas that may cost you more dosh in the long run ( bearings, driveline components, brake disks, etc.). At least in my experience.

DrJoe - I was admiring your craftsmanship on your rear section for the 525, gorgeous. You've made my monkey wrenching jealous of your talents. Now move over here where you never worry about gas since the countries are based around scooters so every two hut village has a bit of gas to sell and fret no more about hauling heavy fuel. I'll buy you the first beer so you can get settled in.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #3669
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,982
Ok I'll see you next week.

I sure hope that's a photo of your girl friend and not you.

Oh the other good thing about the rear tank I made is that it includes a decent sealed airbox.
It's amazing how much cleaner the air filter stays now pluss you can go to the bottom of the seat depth wise.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #3670
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Ok I'll see you next week.

I sure hope that's a photo of your girl friend and not you.

Oh the other good thing about the rear tank I made is that it includes a decent sealed airbox.
It's amazing how much cleaner the air filter stays now pluss you can go to the bottom of the seat depth wise.
Go ahead and rub it in you bastard, cleaner filters in addition to better water protection. Next thing you'll be touting is it also reduces cholesterol.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #3671
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
You can run the motor with some water in it but to much can lead to a mechanical failure due to the potential for Hydrolock. Oil and water will foam and expand as the water heats up. the foaming solution will tear up paper and even stainless steel filters (like Scotts) dont ask why I know! So you are OK with a little water but if you get a water bottle full you should drain it ( remember the oil will float on top of the water so drain the bottom slowly and you will get mostly water. I carry 1 quart of oil on adventure rides with dirt bikes as the best way to deal with a lot of water.
You obviously know a bit about engineering ... I have an Indy shock bolt brace on my F800GS ... and I wonder if anyone has given this problem a bit of thought. I live on the east coast of Australia ... where it has been very wet for the last 18 months (La Nina) and we seem to have a lot of water crossings to do lately. This is fine, but if you drown a big adventure bike in the middle of nowhere, its a big problem and this tends to put you off some of the crossings ... just because of the risk and inconvience.

It's obviously much worse to drown a big four stroke .... where even getting at the spark plugs can be a major operation ... than a two stroke, but I was wondering if it would be possible to make the consequences a little less dire. I imagine if the motor isn't running when it goes under water it won't suck in as much water.

So my ideas

1. What would happen if you had an inclinometer that shut the bike off it was off vertical by more than say 45 degrees? Then if you drop the bike on its side in the water it isn't running when it goes under.

2. What if you had some kind of sensor in the airbox that would kill the engine if there was water present ... perhaps using conductivity ? I think you would make this disarmable for riding on the road.

Anyway my ideas are probably rubbish ... if so lets just and move on !

I just want to be put off water crossings (often in biggish groups) less than I am now. Back to normal programming.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:03 PM   #3672
PG007
AKA backdoorphil

Oddometer: 323
Great photo's Justin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Thanks for the tips Indy. On my shopping list when back in the states are a Lithium battery to try out. This trip had a brand new Yuasa 7 amp and still had some issues. Did all what you mentioned and even rinsed the plug in gas and let dry with the aircleaner on the seat of the 690. You can see the aircleaner in the background on the seat.

The amount of water that we would drain out of the header each time made me laugh, bloody ridiculous amounts.

Drjoe - Thanks for the reply. Now this was always my biggest concern with drowned bikes, the oil in the water. I'm always paranoid about the lubrication qualities of the oil when contaminated with water. My concern is the bearings getting hammered with the water in the oil. So you think I'm being overly paranoid and should just run it and evaporate the water? i'd like to hear opinions on this since at times I do not always have enough oil to change it.

Thanks all.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #3673
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG007 View Post
Great photo's Justin!
Since river crossings on the 525 are obviously not my strong suit I figure I might as well get some pics..... and I didn't even have to nick this one off RideAsia.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:57 PM   #3674
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,904
Quote:

Meanwhile, on the other side of the globe. . . . we just avoid all the fuss and stay on top of it.

Other water related problems, getting on the bike. Airbox stayed dry the whooooole time.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #3675
PG007
AKA backdoorphil

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
.... and I didn't even have to nick this one off RideAsia.