Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #3811
ScmbIker
Scmb

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggy View Post
That's a great summary and description of what may be wrong. Nice response

What about the aftermarket R&D 'Flex Jet' for these KTM's with carbs? They are supposed to be fully adjustable allowing the bike to go from difference elevations with the twist of a knob.
Don't go for the flex jet it binds, won't turn and once it does it wont stay where you want it to. Reaching under to turn the billet one is much less hassle than the binding flex jet that turns out on its own if left bound up I ditched my r&d flex for jd's billet air screw and in my opinion it turns nicer and stays in place better
ScmbIker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #3812
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,314
I run the flex-jet screws on mine. I bought all at the same time for my 950 & RFS bikes.
I did not install it with the loop like the instructions. I just allow it to sweep straight out the bottom and zip tied the end to my clutch hose. No binding.
I also used the original spring as the flex one was supper stiff. Did that on ALL the installs.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #3813
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
We get a few MXC come up here and been considering one of these. Bar for its larger tank and fitted with a rad fan, whats any other differances to an EXC. Is the gearing differant?
XR 400 gone
Transalp 600 gone
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #3814
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post
We get a few MXC come up here and been considering one of these. Bar for its larger tank and fitted with a rad fan, whats any other differances to an EXC. Is the gearing differant?
Not just final drive gearing but the actual transmission ratios as well. A lot narrower, good for racing if you are a fast rider but not ideal for dual sport use...
Old 04-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #3815
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by wide View Post

you can find used MXC tanks all the time. or fork out for a new one.

and installing a fan is cheap and easy.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:36 AM   #3816
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScmbIker View Post
Don't go for the flex jet it binds, won't turn and once it does it wont stay where you want it to. Reaching under to turn the billet one is much less hassle than the binding flex jet that turns out on its own if left bound up I ditched my r&d flex for jd's billet air screw and in my opinion it turns nicer and stays in place better
My flex jet works great too. much more convenient than a regular fuel screw.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:01 PM   #3817
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Rescuing some pics off a corrupted disk and found this one of the 525. I had broken my leg in four places on a dirt bike ride a few weeks earlier. Got the 525 into motard trim (minus the front fender) as I was desperate for a ride.

Since the crutch was strapped on the back i could not put on the GL bag or saddlebags so put some clothes in a daypack for a two day motard ride through the hills. Great relief when you're dying to get on the bike after hobbling around on crutches for weeks.

With a Beringer 4 pot caliper and radial master cylinder the braking is unreal. Physical Theraby the fun way.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

team ftb screwed with this post 04-07-2012 at 01:44 PM
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #3818
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Rescuing some pics off a corrupted disk and found this one of the 525. I had broken my leg in four places on a dirt bike ride a few weeks earlier.
That is just brilliant. The crutch strapped onto the bike is priceless, thanks for sharing
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #3819
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
That is just brilliant. The crutch strapped onto the bike is priceless, thanks for sharing

Haha. I've had more highsides, lowsides, and broken bones crashing the 525 in motard trim on tracks and canyons than any of my long dirt trips so not quite sure "brilliant" would be the words my loved one would choose.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #3820
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Always some cool pics from you Justin, so I have a free 2007 SMR fender for you if you need it. Shipping might be a killer however...

Just got done with a frame upgrade on mine. Ok a bit more than the frame.... but it's still a 525!

Off to test it in an offroad park with an enduro loop, MX + SX tracks and trials obstacle course in Hungary tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #3821
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Is that a scott's part that's securing the throttle cable.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #3822
jar944
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Always some cool pics from you Justin, so I have a free 2007 SMR fender for you if you need it. Shipping might be a killer however...

Just got done with a frame upgrade on mine. Ok a bit more than the frame.... but it's still a 525!

Off to test it in an offroad park with an enduro loop, MX + SX tracks and trials obstacle course in Hungary tomorrow.
I see you ran the RFS rads.
jar944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #3823
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,837
She's looking good Lukas

I just got in from a small ride in the scrub with a few mates we only did 80k's and i'm stuffed, deffinetly need a lighter bike.

I have a spare rfs engine so maybe its time i built a hybrid.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #3824
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Is that a scott's part that's securing the throttle cable.
No, it's from Clean Speed Engineering, $20.

http://www.cleanspeedeng.com/cable_guide.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
I see you ran the RFS rads.
Yeah for now, since I had them already and Savageya included a set of adapters to bolt on the shrouds. If you are running a full harness it makes everything a bit tight near the regulator, because the Y for the rads passes through there. I had to ditch the thermostat and go with the slimmer straight SX hoses, so I just plugged up the bypass from the EXC rad with a big bolt.

No the prettiest solution but it works temporarily. Will keep my eyes open for a set of SX-F rads, maybe you can machine me one of those sweet 90 adapters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
She's looking good Lukas

I just got in from a small ride in the scrub with a few mates we only did 80k's and i'm stuffed, deffinetly need a lighter bike.

I have a spare rfs engine so maybe its time i built a hybrid.

Go for it Joe, we all know you could use another project.

But seriously, if you find a cheap SX-F frame (I have seen them for $300) and do the welding yourself, it sure is a nice upgrade for not too much money.

The test ride yesterday went surprisingly well, nothing fell off or broke! I got about 3 hours on the bike over the course of a day, and was still totally stuffed by the end of it.

It's too early to tell but first impression are very good, it turns really nicely but is still stable as well, more so than the Berg I think. It felt almost as light - at least for the first 50 meters, until she got covered with 20 kilos of mud!

Somehow the Scotts gave me too much resistance even when fully turned down so maybe I will have to read the instruction manual after all.

I will also have to figure out something about the clutch effort, it is significantly higher than the Berg (which has a Rekluse Core EXP but I like to clutch anyway). Already have a 9.5mm bore clutch MC on there, so next step might be either a lever with modified fulcrum, or a slipper clutch. Or maybe I should just get one of those hand trainer rubber balls and stop being such a pussy....

Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #3825
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,888
Quote:
Somehow the Scotts gave me too much resistance even when fully turned down so maybe I will have to read the instruction manual after all.
Have a look at the high speed settings. Mine was set pretty harsh from the previous owner, and it was wearing me out so much that I took it off on a single track ride. I don't recall what the factory setting is, but I have read somewhere that it is 1 1/2 turns out. The manual is pretty vague about it. Have a look, I made the change based on Ned's settings, and it has been perfect since.