Shift lever died.

Any recommendations for a replacement?
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:43 AM   #3857
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,259
Best shifters - Hammerhead

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 05:19 AM
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:27 AM   #3858
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy unlimited View Post
+1
Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 PM   #3859
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,523
Fork seals

Went on a trail ride last weekend. Went into garage yesterday and found pool of oil under right fork. I've had seals weep before and lower fork be wet before but never had oil on floor. Maybe 4oz of oil on floor. Removed dust seal and repeatedly cleaned with feeler gauge until it stopped leaking when compressing. Didn't leak on the ride, forks felt good and no leak checking today.

Taking Shane Watts weekend class May 12. I'd hate to have the forks barf mid class but I have been known to worry too much. Replace seals or go drink a beer?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #3860
StanS
New Guy On The Block

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Went on a trail ride last weekend. Went into garage yesterday and found pool of oil under right fork. I've had seals weep before and lower fork be wet before but never had oil on floor. Maybe 4oz of oil on floor. Removed dust seal and repeatedly cleaned with feeler gauge until it stopped leaking when compressing. Didn't leak on the ride, forks felt good and no leak checking today.

Taking Shane Watts weekend class May 12. I'd hate to have the forks barf mid class but I have been known to worry too much. Replace seals or go drink a beer?
I would replace it but that is just me. Shane is going to work you and the bike hard and you want it 100%

At a minimum pull the fork and change the fork oil to the proper amount since you lost so much. This is assuming you haven't already done that.

Since it did not leak after your last ride you may be OK. Assuming there is any oil left in there.
StanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #3861
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
I'd vote for changing the seals. It's a very easy job, and you have plenty of time. Mine leaked, but not enough to foul the brake pads. When you have them apart, check the wear on the bushings. If they are showing signs of wear, it's probably time to change them as well, and they can contribute to leaking seals as well. I watched the Rocky Mountain ATV Youtube video, and there is some good info in the Slavens video where he shows how to pump out the air. Simple 10cc syringe and a marked pice of vinyl tubing to set the air gap. It may be sacrilege, but my forks were super harsh, and the clickers were set all the way out, so I also took the opportunity to try 2.5W oil, and they are awesome now.

Quote:

Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 PM   #3862
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanS View Post
Since it did not leak after your last ride you may be OK. Assuming there is any oil left in there.
Thanks for the replies. The thought that I had no oil had occurred to me but I think capacity is more than I lost.

Thanks for the videos links. Bike has 4500 miles so I'll replace them. I'll check the bushings for slop.

I'd heard that it was best to stick to OEM, that the aftermarket seals were problematic.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #3863
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,106
I went aftermarket on my old 600 LC4, and the leg that wasn't leaking before the chainge, was leaking worse than the origanal leak.

I had also heard about aftermarket KTM seals being probematic, but used them anyway because I have never had problems with them on any of my Jap bikes...

So is it a WP thing, or are all aftermarkt seals for all brands of forks suposed to be problematic?

Oh and thanks everyone for the replies about the rear brake res placement...

All sorted now.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #3864
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,890
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. The thought that I had no oil had occurred to me but I think capacity is more than I lost.

Thanks for the videos links. Bike has 4500 miles so I'll replace them. I'll check the bushings for slop.

I'd heard that it was best to stick to OEM, that the aftermarket seals were problematic.
You can check KTMTalk, but I'm pretty sure SKF seals are the ones to have. Again, when looking into fork stuff, I came upon this Slavens video on seals. I bought seals from the KTM dealer, and I'm pretty sure they are SKF.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #3865
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
I went aftermarket on my old 600 LC4, and the leg that wasn't leaking before the chainge, was leaking worse than the origanal leak.

I had also heard about aftermarket KTM seals being probematic, but used them anyway because I have never had problems with them on any of my Jap bikes...

So is it a WP thing, or are all aftermarkt seals for all brands of forks suposed to be problematic?

Oh and thanks everyone for the replies about the rear brake res placement...

All sorted now.
Lots of options it seems:

1) Fiche for my 2007 450EXC says: "R14013 REPAIR-KIT EXC FRONT FORK06/07 $115.49". That's seals and bushings for both forks according to KTMTalk.

2) R14020 is the skf seal (low stiction) kit for the SXS forks. Mentions working on 07 w/ mods but maybe not RFS. I'll have to ask Munn. http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=410085

3) Synergy Seals sells a kit with 48mm Dust Wiper, 48mm fork seals wth lower guide P-Bushing-48 and 48mm Rigid Dual Lip oil Seals. $84

4) SKF seals and KYB bushings are available aftermarket but I could only find mention of calling a licensed suspension tuner such as Trailticks/Slavens.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:30 AM   #3866
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalTech View Post
Just finished prepping this '06 525 EXC, only 17hours on the clock and left in a barn for 2 years unused

What gas tank is that??
spaceman_spiff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #3867
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,878
I stuck the ktm hard parts low friction seal and bushing kit in mine and it solved the stiction isue I had plus teh forks dont end up with so much air in them now.
Bargain at $85 from munn racing

http://173.74.246.25/munnracing/show...ry.cfm?id=2227

Fork Maintainance Kit
(PN: R14020)

Includes all necessary parts to maintain your fork. The special friction optimized parts will upgrade the function of your fork. You will recognize the improved response in every riding situation!

DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 AM   #3868
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,106
OK I need opinions here...

I need a new piston for my 525, and it has a 97mm bore.

I have just been doing eBay searches for pistons because they are a hell of a lot cheaper than getting them locally (I was quoted over $300 for a 95mm Pro X, I could get one of eBay for half that including postage).

Now from what I have seen I can get a Pro X or a Wiseco for under $200 delivered, but I have been turned of ProX buy the cheep price, but I have started to hear not very nice things about Wiseco lately (mainly just being concerns because its a forged piston), so I'm getting a bit concerned.

Any opinions on the Wiseco or ProX pistons?

Or anyone have any suggestions of anyone who will ship to Australia that I should look at for a Wossner or something (that is if Wossner make a 97mm piston for the 525)?

Or should I just ask in the main forum so I don't start a forged vs cast shit fight?

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:13 AM   #3869
snatchy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff View Post
What gas tank is that??
Safari 4 Gallon/ 15 litre
http://www.safaritanks.com.au/home/9...ypage.tpl.html
snatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:16 AM   #3870
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
I stuck the ktm hard parts low friction seal and bushing kit in mine and it solved the stiction isue I had plus teh forks dont end up with so much air in them now.
Bargain at $85 from munn racing
Agreed, fantastic deal considering what's all included.

In addition to being low friction the SKF seals are also reported to last much longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
OK I need opinions here...

I need a new piston for my 525, and it has a 97mm bore.

I have just been doing eBay searches for pistons because they are a hell of a lot cheaper than getting them locally (I was quoted over $300 for a 95mm Pro X, I could get one of eBay for half that including postage).

Now from what I have seen I can get a Pro X or a Wiseco for under $200 delivered, but I have been turned of ProX buy the cheep price, but I have started to hear not very nice things about Wiseco lately (mainly just being concerns because its a forged piston), so I'm getting a bit concerned.

Any opinions on the Wiseco or ProX pistons?

Or anyone have any suggestions of anyone who will ship to Australia that I should look at for a Wossner or something (that is if Wossner make a 97mm piston for the 525)?

Or should I just ask in the main forum so I don't start a forged vs cast shit fight?
I'd get the Wossner or a CP, very good feedback on both of those.

For the Wossner contact Dave Hopkins aka DJH (http://www.djhcyclesport.com/), for the CP contact Travis at Thumper Racing (http://www.thumperracing.net/). Both ship internationally, are great to deal with and hugely knowledgeable about the RFS so you can be sure you get the right parts.

Lukas
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote