Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #4051
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Wow, that's a long way to slab it on an RFS! My butt hurts just thinking about it.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #4052
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff View Post
We drove all the way up highway 1 along the coast.
I went up to Fort Bragg along Hwy 1 this past Sunday myself, but it was a dreary day: I thought the fog was so thick that I was getting wet, but when I stopped I realised that it was actually drizzling. And although the temperatures inland were in the high 80s, it was 50s on the coast.

How did you manage to endure the return trip through this weather?

BTW, the KTM looks like a mini bike next to you; you must be at least 6'4".
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #4053
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
I went up to Fort Bragg along Hwy 1 this past Sunday myself, but it was a dreary day: I thought the fog was so thick that I was getting wet, but when I stopped I realised that it was actually drizzling. And although the temperatures inland were in the high 80s, it was 50s on the coast.

How did you manage to endure the return trip through this weather?

BTW, the KTM looks like a mini bike next to you; you must be at least 6'4".
That is indeed what most of the weather was like over the whole weekend, I ended up riding down 101 so I wouldn't be in the fog anymore but that was almost worse... Terrible straight road through the middle of nowhere and it was 103 degrees!
And you are correct, I am 6'4"
Sure does look tiny in that pic. Ha ha
spaceman_spiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #4054
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
Spaceman- what bags are those?
They are made by firstgear. I just picked 'em up on Craigslist for 60 bucks.
The closest match I could find is these ones

http://www.revzilla.com/product/firs...nyx-saddlebags
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #4055
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Also, I just purchased the tank you see in my pics a few days before my trip off Craigslist though I was really hoping for a black one. Anyone want to trade their black Clarke tank for my natural?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 AM   #4056
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Spaceman - i'm sure the 525 was a blast up the coast of the 1. Glad you were enjoying it in motard trim. Don't forget about the Pozo Road going from Carmel to the 101 as an awesome road with some really nice tight stuff where the motard would excel. Judging by the wear pattern on your rear it looks like some additional rebound dampening on the shock may give you a better feel.. Maybe worth a try.

Here's a small video clip of a ride i did on the 525 with my Thai mates when we were going to install the hydro-electric wheel for a rural village. Have a laugh at the mayhem of getting the scooters up the muck. The Thai's have enthusiasm in spades and it goes to show "it's the man not the bike". I did not wear the chest protector on this ride and did not compensate for the changed angle of the GoPro, so you'll have to suffer with viewing the KTM triple clamps.

It was after 9:30 PM before the last bike got into the village with three of them left on the trail due to mud locking the drive train solid.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #4057
johnkol
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff View Post
That is indeed what most of the weather was like over the whole weekend, I ended up riding down 101 so I wouldn't be in the fog anymore but that was almost worse... Terrible straight road through the middle of nowhere and it was 103 degrees!
I too crossed over onto 101 through 128 (beautiful road, highly recommended), and indeed, slabbing on 101 was not an enjoyable experience, what with wind resistance at 70mph, being blown around by trucks, and dodging Sunday drivers. I would have thought that it wouldn't be that objectionable on your street tyres, but you seem to have suffered as much as I did.

It was hot too, but I'll take hot and dry over cold and wet anytime. Next time I plan on heading over to Hwy 1, I'll check the weather first.
johnkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #4058
bhorocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Spaceman - i'm sure the 525 was a blast up the coast of the 1. Glad you were enjoying it in motard trim. Don't forget about the Pozo Road going from Carmel to the 101 as an awesome road with some really nice tight stuff where the motard would excel. Judging by the wear pattern on your rear it looks like some additional rebound dampening on the shock may give you a better feel.. Maybe worth a try.

Here's a small video clip of a ride i did on the 525 with my Thai mates when we were going to install the hydro-electric wheel for a rural village. Have a laugh at the mayhem of getting the scooters up the muck. The Thai's have enthusiasm in spades and it goes to show "it's the man not the bike". I did not wear the chest protector on this ride and did not compensate for the changed angle of the GoPro, so you'll have to suffer with viewing the KTM triple clamps.

It was after 9:30 PM before the last bike got into the village with three of them left on the trail due to mud locking the drive train solid.
thats awesome..
bhorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #4059
spaceman_spiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnkol View Post
I too crossed over onto 101 through 128 (beautiful road, highly recommended), and indeed, slabbing on 101 was not an enjoyable experience, what with wind resistance at 70mph, being blown around by trucks, and dodging Sunday drivers. I would have thought that it wouldn't be that objectionable on your street tyres, but you seem to have suffered as much as I did.

It was hot too, but I'll take hot and dry over cold and wet anytime. Next time I plan on heading over to Hwy 1, I'll check the weather first.
Yea, wet and cold is definitely not preferable!
And it was too bad on 101 just so boring and my butt was super sore by then.
Let me know if you ever wanna meet up for a ride!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #4060
arapaho
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post

That brings back some memories. I rented a KLX250 last time I was in Chiang Mai and I had an absolute blast up in the hills. I ended up going down something that was as slick as snot although not as sloppy as this hill. After about 1/2 mile, it kept going and getting steeper, so I turned around. Getting back up was fun.

Here is a recent ride on my 525 where we got pretty high:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=258
arapaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #4061
vgx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hello!
I have just got my first KTM 525 EXC (2000). Actually, my first real bike, except riding 3 years with 125cc Chinese enduro :)
This weekend I am going to change some parts and do a lot of work to get it ready for my countries Technical Investment (I don't know if this is written correctly) and later I can post some pics.
I'm reading some manuals, but still have a lot of questions.. for the most of them I will still try to find andswers..
First unanswred: is there any project or schematics where an ignition key switch is added to this motorcycle? (In case I go to shop )
vgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #4062
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 9,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaco View Post
Hello!
I have just got my first KTM 525 EXC (2000). Actually, my first real bike, except riding 3 years with 125cc Chinese enduro :)
This weekend I am going to change some parts and do a lot of work to get it ready for my countries Technical Investment (I don't know if this is written correctly) and later I can post some pics.
I'm reading some manuals, but still have a lot of questions.. for the most of them I will still try to find andswers..
First unanswred: is there any project or schematics where an ignition key switch is added to this motorcycle? (In case I go to shop )

Congrats on you new-to-you ride. You're gonig to love it.
A 2000 year model would be a 520 though, not a 525.
My first KTM was an 01 520 SX. All I've owned is KTM's since then.

Oh, and sorry, I can't answer your question, but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here that probably can.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:53 PM   #4063
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by arapaho View Post
That brings back some memories. I rented a KLX250 last time I was in Chiang Mai and I had an absolute blast up in the hills. I ended up going down something that was as slick as snot although not as sloppy as this hill. After about 1/2 mile, it kept going and getting steeper, so I turned around. Getting back up was fun.

Here is a recent ride on my 525 where we got pretty high:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=258
Nice ride Arapaho!! Always fun explloring new areas, thats what maks this sport so enjoyable.

Yes the hills around Chiang Mai are horrific and slippery when it rains as you found out. It can be like riding on glass topped with Vaseline at times.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #4064
yondering
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaco View Post
Hello!
Where are you located?

Yes, you can add a key switch; I don't have a schematic but if you get a 4-wire ignition switch, one side will be normally-open, the other side normally-closed. The open side gets wired inline to the battery, via a relay, so the electric starter won't crank over when the key is off, and the headlight won't work either. The closed side gets wired to the kill switch circuit, and to ground, so the kill circuit is engaged when the key is off.
yondering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #4065
vgx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake716 View Post
Congrats on you new-to-you ride. You're gonig to love it.
A 2000 year model would be a 520 though, not a 525.
My first KTM was an 01 520 SX. All I've owned is KTM's since then.
Thank You! Maybe I have mistaken, the technical passport says it is 525 and first registration 2000. Could the bike be older?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yondering View Post
Where are you located?

Yes, you can add a key switch; I don't have a schematic but if you get a 4-wire ignition switch, one side will be normally-open, the other side normally-closed. The open side gets wired inline to the battery, via a relay, so the electric starter won't crank over when the key is off, and the headlight won't work either. The closed side gets wired to the kill switch circuit, and to ground, so the kill circuit is engaged when the key is off.
I am in Latvia :)
So, ok I should get a 4-wire switch and I'll try to investigate the circuit.. I was just wondering how this could be that kill switch (as written in the manual) SHORTCUTS the circuit... So this "shortcut" has nothing to do with the battery and it is safe to keep that kill circuit engaged?
vgx is offline   Reply With Quote