ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #4081
header
Chris
 
header's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 1,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
it might be worth my while to do that, but then I'll have to add stuff for my roadbook etc. Not a big deal I'm sure.
If you want a wiring harness (new) I have one that has literally never been out of its package. PM me if your interested.
__________________


KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #4082
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,560
Trailtech flywheel

Anyone installed one of these?

I find my 07 450 EXC a bit sluggish/ponderous revving. I've ridden a short stroke 400 and much preferred the way it revved out for single track riding.

I asked Trailtech and they said most of their customers end up going heavier flywheel (6300-36 +7oz or 6300-39 +10oz; these are the +specs for the 05-07) .... I guess I can't imagine needing more flywheel weight, is this some Rekluse-on-the-cheap hard to stall alternative?

I just had to send my new trailtech stator back to them as it turns out it was internally shorted .... so I have the cover off ..... mostly I wouldn't mind the additional 20% power that comes from the beefier flywheel magnets on the Trailtech flywheel, would have maybe enough power to run an electric vest on low plus the lights.

Anyone have any advice? I'd read on KTMtalk that the lighter flywheel was nicer but not a huge difference.

Even better, anyone have a used flywheel for sale ?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #4083
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Lost in the jungles of Thailand
Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Anyone installed one of these?

I find my 07 450 EXC a bit sluggish/ponderous revving. I've ridden a short stroke 400 and much preferred the way it revved out for single track riding.

I asked Trailtech and they said most of their customers end up going heavier flywheel (6300-36 +7oz or 6300-39 +10oz; these are the +specs for the 05-07) .... I guess I can't imagine needing more flywheel weight, is this some Rekluse-on-the-cheap hard to stall alternative?

I just had to send my new trailtech stator back to them as it turns out it was internally shorted .... so I have the cover off ..... mostly I wouldn't mind the additional 20% power that comes from the beefier flywheel magnets on the Trailtech flywheel, would have maybe enough power to run an electric vest on low plus the lights.

Anyone have any advice? I'd read on KTMtalk that the lighter flywheel was nicer but not a huge difference.

Even better, anyone have a used flywheel for sale ?
Crazybrit - I have had the TT lightened flywheel on my 525 and 570 engines. My terrain is mostly hard pack and wet slick conditions where most people say you would not want the lightened flywheel. Maybe I'm just strange but I love it and could even go for less flywheel effect. In other words I like it a lot and have had no problems with the flywheel in terms of ridability. Reading the RFS forums on KTMtalk you'll also note a real popular, though expensive mod that people are really enjoying on these engines are lightened cranks. Basically the same effect (to a larger extent) as the lightened flywheel.

You coming from the shorter stroke 400 i believe would appreciate it greatly.
__________________
Cheers,
Team FTB
------------------
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #4084
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer
 
crazybrit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Oddometer: 8,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Reading the RFS forums on KTMtalk you'll also note a real popular, though expensive mod that people are really enjoying on these engines are lightened cranks.
yeah, i was just poking around today and found this funny thread on that topic.

I'd be interested to try the lighter flywheel, just not sure I'm $194 interested since I'm not 100% sure I'll like it.

I'm not coming from a short stroke 400, I've just ridden one once and quite liked it ... but that's more of a difference than just a lighter flywheel.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:03 PM   #4085
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Lost in the jungles of Thailand
Oddometer: 1,652
Difficult to quantify the the difference being worth the $200 or not. You won't dislike it the product i'm sure, it would be more an issue whether the $200 spent there is worth it versus a different cam, funding part of a bigbore, carb bore etc.
__________________
Cheers,
Team FTB
------------------
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:18 AM   #4086
CAPTAIN Z
OZ Mission Master
 
CAPTAIN Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Belgrave,Victoria
Oddometer: 124
Hey all love the 525 and my bro-inlaw just picked up a 525 04 model. I'm a 640 adv owner/rider and love jumping on his bike and lettin loose. Any tips you can give us being newbies to the 525 in as what to look for on the bike, improve things, simple basic mods that are a must. Will go thru all previous threads and try find out info, so don't go to full on.
CAPTAIN Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #4087
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist
 
CodyY's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Oddometer: 9,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN Z View Post
Hey all love the 525 and my bro-inlaw just picked up a 525 04 model. I'm a 640 adv owner/rider and love jumping on his bike and lettin loose. Any tips you can give us being newbies to the 525 in as what to look for on the bike, improve things, simple basic mods that are a must. Will go thru all previous threads and try find out info, so don't go to full on.
Later model the better. Lots of little improvements that add up. If you can find an 07 you've reached the pinnacle of 525-dom. I have an 06 frame and swingarm around my 04 motor, with 16mm triple trees, and too much shit on it to list here.
__________________
Not an ACTUAL motorcyclist
CodyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #4088
B-Rod
RubberNecker
 
B-Rod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 1,909
Does my pressure suit make me look fat? First real ride since April. It's been a year to forget, and it has affected my riding. This felt real good. Lots of rocks, climbs, and a wicked amount of fun. My bike celebrated 210 hours of dead reliable operation. Had to plug its ears though, as we found ourselves wondering what a new 350 EXC would be like.



This awful 2008 530 passed 190 hours. Never had the backwards ADC cam changed, never had it's valves adjusted (only because they haven't moved), never had a single issue. Anyone running a Dirt Tricks front sprocket? This bike has eaten one in 20 hours. The rear is not showing any wear, but the front 14T is wearing worse than the cheap JT sprocket I had on the 525.

__________________
Save $5 on Smugmug by using this code. LW9ZIPzdRGzaI
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #4089
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,318
yes it makes you look fat
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #4090
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Lost in the jungles of Thailand
Oddometer: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Does my pressure suit make me look fat? First real ride since April. It's been a year to forget, and it has affected my riding. This felt real good. Lots of rocks, climbs, and a wicked amount of fun. My bike celebrated 210 hours of dead reliable operation. Had to plug its ears though, as we found ourselves wondering what a new 350 EXC would be like.



This awful 2008 530 passed 190 hours. Never had the backwards ADC cam changed, never had it's valves adjusted (only because they haven't moved), never had a single issue. Anyone running a Dirt Tricks front sprocket? This bike has eaten one in 20 hours. The rear is not showing any wear, but the front 14T is wearing worse than the cheap JT sprocket I had on the 525.


Good to see you back on the bike B-Rod. Great for the mind and body.

A friend of mine was hot to trot for a 350 wanting something lighter handling than his Suzuki RMX 450 to add to his stable of bikes, his impressions were there was not enough difference (ease of flickability) to add the 350. In other words it did not handle that much lighter than his current 450..
__________________
Cheers,
Team FTB
------------------
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 11:44 PM   #4091
B-Rod
RubberNecker
 
B-Rod's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Alberta
Oddometer: 1,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
yes it makes you look fat
Oh well, at least my pants make my dink look huge.
__________________
Save $5 on Smugmug by using this code. LW9ZIPzdRGzaI
B-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #4092
chippertheripper
motorcycle junkie
 
chippertheripper's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: s.e. mass
Oddometer: 2,149
That's what she said.
__________________
Cliff's Cycles KTM
LRRS 560ex (retired), PSTR b-vet 317, NETRA b-vet (enduro)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Falcon View Post
Life is too short to crash on a bike you don't respect
chippertheripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:55 AM   #4093
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Signal Mountain, TN
Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Oh well, at least my pants make my dink look huge.
Damnit....6:52 am and I just choked on my coffee.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:18 AM   #4094
skibum69
slave to gravity
 
skibum69's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: New Melbourne, Newfoundland
Oddometer: 5,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Oh well, at least my pants make my dink look huge.
that's an easy way to fight your insecurity
__________________
Beerthief
skibumsoirée2009 skibumsoiré2010
Riff Raff 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #4095
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer
 
The Bigfella's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Dooral Dooral, Eastern Oz
Oddometer: 2,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
Damnit....6:52 am and I just choked on my coffee.
Better to choke on your coffee rather than on his dink
__________________
A man should only do the work that is required of him. To do more is a form of greed.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014