Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #4141
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzo3 View Post
Sorry, didn't realize that was your first rewind. Then its understandable, and pretty good job for your first considering the task. My fingers hurt for days after my first few rewinds until I discovered popsicle sticks.
The popsicle sticks is a good idea, thanks! The Spokanister webpage has you use a bic pen (didn't work for me) and a brass rod. The windings were really neat for the first few rows but then it went downhill. I used 18ga motor wire but the stuff on the Trailtech looks thicker.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:06 PM   #4142
hizzo3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
The popsicle sticks is a good idea, thanks! The Spokanister webpage has you use a bic pen (didn't work for me) and a brass rod. The windings were really neat for the first few rows but then it went downhill. I used 18ga motor wire but the stuff on the Trailtech looks thicker.
I usually try a few poles at slightly thicker gauge than stock to test the fit. They have gauge gauges (funny right) that will give you an idea what you are working with. I usually go through MWS wire and get their polyimide coated. Highly chemical resistant and has a working temp well above what your engine will hopefully ever see (240C) and burn out above 400c. I crunched some numbers and baring a short outside the stator, it should net upwards of 50+k miles in Texas heat. Not sure what the rest of the world uses, and this is a bit pricy, however knowledge that your stator may outlive a bottom end is always nice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
hizzo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #4143
snatchy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
How far are y'all extending oil changes with the HT oil cooler? Any issues with rocks coming up and hitting it?

Rocks don't seem to be an issue. It is a solid bit of gear and probably stronger than other things around it. Falling over on a killer rocky hill climb a dozen times resulted in a few dings in the header but no damage to the oil cooler.

For oil changes... i change at the same frequency as before, and if on a long ride extend it as much as needed (within reason).
snatchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #4144
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
How far are y'all extending oil changes with the HT oil cooler? Any issues with rocks coming up and hitting it?

I changed the oil once every 800 miles when I did the TAT (2400) miles. Filter change each time. I posted the 2400 mile oil analysis earlier on this thread, not really definitive. If I'd been smart I'd have had one done before I left but I'm not so I didn't. I thought about doing one at the last change but I topped off with some dino 15w40 for the last 250 miles as I didn't have time to change the oil before a weekend ride and I wasn't sure if that would mess it up??

I asked the same Q about cooler/change intervals on this thread a while back, Lukas kindly posted this:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=2067

Interesting but there really isn't anything remotely scientific in terms of change intervals with or without the cooler.

As far as the HT cooler, it's much stronger than the cast KTM cover it replaces. I was worried that I might hurt it in a crash but those fears have proven totally unfounded and I've tested it a few times
Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM   #4145
hizzo3
Adventurer

Well the science is in the fact that there is more overall oil volume, which means that there is more of it to wear before needing replace. Same concept as in your designed for high mileage engines. I can promise that if I could find a way to stick 3L in there (external tank) that you could extend the mileage. Question is by how much. I assume most everyone is running rotella t?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #4146
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Well the science is in the fact that there is more overall oil volume, which means that there is more of it to wear before needing replace.
Well armed with this firm grasp of science I look forward to hearing how often the oil should be changed both on a stock bike and on one with a ht cooler. I guess you're sitting on that big stack of unreleased controlled studies
Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #4147
hizzo3
Adventurer

Quote:
Well armed with this firm grasp of science I look forward to hearing how often the oil should be changed both on a stock bike and on one with a ht cooler. I guess you're sitting on that big stack of unreleased controlled studies
Well one example that I use daily is my 4cyl 2.4L chevy cobalt. Most 4 cyls are around 4 quarts of oil. GM added an extra quart, yes mine takes 5 qts oil. Using GM's oil life monitor, 10-15k miles in Texas heat, running it pretty hard has had no ill effects. I am now pushing 80k miles on it and still pulls strong as the day I got her. I've only done 6 oil changes on her. While this is not a controlled study as they don't make my engine in a 4 qt oil capacity, there is some indirect evidence.

Also, big rigs (18 wheelers) run 10-15 gallons, and use a turbo system... and those engines are under heavy stress. 10k-15k miles between changes is typical.

Is it something where I can give you a formula? No, but there is a relation somewhere as the broken down oil has more good oil to dilute into.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #4148
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,524
dont mind CB he's just a little cranky and kicking the beehive

in my mind, all things equal, more oil = longer change intervals and better lubricity. and that's science you can take to the bank
Old 09-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #4149
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
in my mind, all things equal, more oil = longer change intervals and better lubricity.
no doubt; but what does this actually mean? Some people insist on changing their oil every 2 rides so now they get to change it every 3, bonus! If you're an every 1000 miles type you can now change it every 1500 but is 1000 a valid starting point?

There wouldn't be much point to the additional capacity offered by this particular oil cooler if it didn't allow for longer change intervals

Sorry for the crankyness Matt, I'll go pimp your ad to make amends
Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #4150
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
no doubt; but what does this actually mean? Some people insist on changing their oil every 2 rides so now they get to change it every 3, bonus! If you're an every 1000 miles type you can now change it every 1500 but is 1000 a valid starting point?
well, not that i've ridden my new to me rfs more than around the block, but to me it probably means 50% longer intervals?
i'm going to experiment and watch the oil color and notchiness of shifting. afaik

a friend who used to have one thought for basic "non flogging" riding (including the airflow through the rads from relatively higher speeds) used to change his oil every 1k? without the oil cooler.

i'm sure i'll get one, because i'll sleep better at night. i'm AR like that.

i did 1000 miles loaded for camping through desert conditions this june, which in all likelihood will be my max camp trip mileage. as long as i can do that, i'm golden. i have doubts whether the oil would stay good without the cooler for that sort of ride.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #4151
Fulano
Scooter Trash

Oddometer: 430
Quite a while back the Army did some oil testing. The oil in some jeeps were changed religously according to the manufacturers recommendations, in others, not at all. If memory serves me right, they did this for 100,000 miles then disassembled the engines. Upon inspection there was no discernible differences between the two. Draw your own conclusions.

All I need are loose shoes, tight pussy and a warm place to shit.
Fulano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #4152
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
So true.
The thing with Dakar bikes is to look at what the privateers are riding,did they change an engine or get by with one? A 450 must be wide open with not much mercy to run the Dakar,cant just toodle along saving the engine. Lots of room to hold it wide open.
Ive heard a Honda might need an engine pretty often doing the race,lots of Yamahas are chosen by privateers as they run a long time. Its a beating like not many of us will ever give a bike,on chassis and engine.
As long as KTM has been running Dakar and studying and building their bikes,they must have some kind of handle on it.

I know they dont run FI on their Dakar bikes.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #4153
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 10,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by selaznog View Post
I rarely ride at night, but recently I found myself in the desert with a stock headlight that was next to worthless. What aftermarket headlight alternatives have you guys tried, and what do you think about the value (cost vs. improvement) of the product? I don't see myself going top shelf for a HID light on this bike.
Ned put a street legal Baja Designs headlight on his 530,he just put it on with a stock stator and says it worked out fine.
Ive got one on my DRZe Im going to try on my 530. Its pretty dang bright on the DRZe. Not a real expensive option and I think,pretty easy to change out if not needed. Stock 530 light is the same as any KTM dirtbike has come with,how that is DOT legal I dont know.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #4154
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
i have the Trail Tech X2 HID and i do like it.

BUT,

a friend that just aquired a Husaberg (AKA Blue KTM) and bought and installed a HID light that some guy on ADV is making that looks identical to stock with a little more glass sticking out for the HID light to fit.

i can get more info on this from him, but he's out of town riding. i'll post up when i hear from him.

but where i'm getting at with this is, him and i went night riding and he was behind me and his light made my Trail Tech X2 look like it was the stock KTM headlight. i think he paid $120 and it comes with the headlight cowl unit as one.
Please do.
When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers. -RWE
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #4155
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,379
Lighting

OK, I was ordering a sprocket online, and I asked the guy at the at the unnamed KTM parts seller if he had any headlight kits. I told him I wasn't interested in spending ~$300 on a TT HID kit, and asked about the non-HID kit. He doesn't sell it so he mentions ddmtuning.com and says they have a HID kit that uses the existing shroud for about $40, and that's what he has on his bike. At that price an experiment is in order. So, I'll report back once I get it installed.
When a resolute young fellow steps up to the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers. -RWE
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote