Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #4186
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake716 View Post
Which under fender should I replace my stock one with?

I was looking at Sicass and Baja Designs. Is one better than the other?
Check out the new Acerbis X-LED mini rear fender extension/lic plate mount,its tiny/light/cheap and works fine on mine. 39.99 is what mine went for.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:42 PM   #4187
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I run a 14/51, and sometimes switch to a 15 c/s sprocket, and flip the blocks. The 15 will just barely fit, but it works.
On my 530 I have 14/50. Little too tall in second for tight singletrack,I think if I worked at it,it would hit 100 on pavemento that way. A 13 on the front might be too much of a change for singletrack but Im going to try it.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #4188
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
On my 530 I have 14/50. Little too tall in second for tight singletrack,I think if I worked at it,it would hit 100 on pavemento that way. A 13 on the front might be too much of a change for singletrack but Im going to try it.
I just ordered a 14/50 combo for my 530 that I just got. It has 14/52 on it right now and it is just too low for my normal, open country riding. Seems a lot lower than the 14/51 I have on my 525.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #4189
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I just ordered a 14/50 combo for my 530 that I just got. It has 14/52 on it right now and it is just too low for my normal, open country riding. Seems a lot lower than the 14/51 I have on my 525.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm is the 52 sprocket in nice shape? If its one of those last forever super duty things Id love to give it a try. The singletrack around here leans to the super jungle gym climb straight up then drop it into a off camber hairpin sort of thing.

Ive done only about an hour of tight trail with the 530 but was constantly keeping a finger on the clutch to keep from stalling it in second and low just wasnt fast enough,Ive since put the Q4 on it in place of the stock plugged up muffler,makes more oomph for sure. Mine was just getting happy and pulling good at about 70,you must have some really open country riding out there.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 PM   #4190
husqvarna
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Oil changes

Can I go back to the oil change issue?

Is there any merit in considering a system to change oil on the trail by sucking or syphoning it out of the filler cap? I understand some cars do it through the dipstick? This would provide mostly fresh oil with the minimum of fuss. Not sure of the optimum system to do it however and this might be the catch.

Obviously best is to change on oil analysis results (I help run gas engines - we analyse oil weekly and only change on viscosity out of spec or effectively high acid content (TBN/ TAN)). The cost of the test on a bike is about the same as the new oil so a bit pointless. But the gas engines have around 650 litres of oil per change at ZAR30/litre (US$3 approx.). They do around 1000 operating hours between changes.
husqvarna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #4191
skianreid
Boulder Moto

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqvarna View Post

Is there any merit in considering a system to change oil on the trail by sucking or syphoning it out of the filler cap? I understand some cars do it through the dipstick? This would provide mostly fresh oil with the minimum of fuss. Not sure of the optimum system to do it however and this might be the catch.

Obviously best is to change on oil analysis results (I help run gas engines - we analyse oil weekly and only change on viscosity out of spec or effectively high acid content (TBN/ TAN)). The cost of the test on a bike is about the same as the new oil so a bit pointless. But the gas engines have around 650 litres of oil per change at ZAR30/litre (US$3 approx.). They do around 1000 operating hours between changes.
I see no reason. do you have a problem carrying an open end wrench and dumping where you should
Old 09-12-2012, 05:13 AM   #4192
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,484
Clutch is in the way.

Oil changes aren't THAT bad. Gives you a reason to do a full prep on the bike and address any potential issues pre-ride.

Dnf's suck
Old 09-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #4193
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 10,640
Quote:
Check out the new Acerbis X-LED mini rear fender extension/lic plate mount,its tiny/light/cheap and works fine on mine. 39.99 is what mine went for.
I didn't even know Acerbis made this. I was about to order the factory short from KTM, that fits the 2006 EXC.

I'll definitely look into this.

Can you post a pic so I can see what it looks like on your bike?

Just wondering if it mounts right to the bike, or if I have to drill holes, which wouldn't be a problem either.

Is it pretty sturdy?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #4194
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake716 View Post
I didn't even know Acerbis made this. I was about to order the factory short from KTM, that fits the 2006 EXC.

I'll definitely look into this.

Can you post a pic so I can see what it looks like on your bike?

Just wondering if it mounts right to the bike, or if I have to drill holes, which wouldn't be a problem either.

Is it pretty sturdy?
I can send pics to your email,its about as small and light as can be made,almost looks like a trials bike piece. If you google it it should come up. I used big pop rivets and put an Acerbis under fender stiffener between airbox and license plate mount/taillight unit. I ended up pop riveting small pieces of plastic on to the X-LED license plate mount to put really small turn signals onto. I can send pics to show what I did..
The Led tailight on the X-LED matches the shape of the rear fender on the KTM like its a factory piece.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #4195
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by husqvarna View Post

Changing oil on the trail? Cant just run it till you get to a place to change it? That seems like a real pain.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:26 AM   #4196
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
an oil change on this bike is nothing. an you don't need to do the oil filters every oil change. I do every other oil change.

at my house this takes a total of maybe 10 - 15 min.

it would probably take you longer fumbling around with a siphon.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #4197
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,484
Quote:
Changing oil on the trail? Cant just run it till you get to a place to change it? That seems like a real pain.
There's always a truck stop or Walmart that's not far outta the way.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #4198
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
an oil change on this bike is nothing. an you don't need to do the oil filters every oil change. I do every other oil change.

at my house this takes a total of maybe 10 - 15 min.

it would probably take you longer fumbling around with a siphon.
Some guys run a little longer between oil changes when out on long trips or rides,doesnt seem to hurt a thing. Most of us arent racing the things,,just going riding.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #4199
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
Quote:
Some guys run a little longer between oil changes when out on long trips or rides,doesnt seem to hurt a thing. Most of us arent racing the things,,just going riding.

yup

my point is/was that i've heard from non-KTM EXC owners "aren't those bikes high maintenance? don't you have to change the oil all the time?" that sort of question. i tell them that oil changes aren't that hard and don't take long, and these bikes aren't high maintenance at all.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #4200
Rabbot
rain+superbike=adventure

Oddometer: 549
Agreed, easy to maintain. As I've posted before. I go 20 hours before changing the oil and I do the filters then. I'd say thats about every 1000 miles