Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 05:24 PM   #4291
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake716 View Post
Is your Giant Loop the Great Basin or the Coyote?

I'm planning on ordering one this week, but I'm not sure which one to get.
Looks like the Great Basin. This is the Coyote. I have nothing strapped to the outside and my enduro Jacket takes up most of the right side. This was a hotel (wimp, 7 day trip). If I got a smaller enduro jacket, did a better job sharing tools with riding partners and strapped some items to top, pretty sure I could fit tent, bag and pack. I've never tried as the friend I go with on these trips isn't much of a camper

crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #4292
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,338
Living the life there bigfella.
I'd love to ride SE Asia on something like a 525. Perfect bike for that area IMO. I'll be in Vietnam early November on an XR250 exploring the northern mountains.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #4293
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 10,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Looks like the Great Basin. This is the Coyote. I have nothing strapped to the outside and my enduro Jacket takes up most of the right side. This was a hotel (wimp, 7 day trip). If I got a smaller enduro jacket, did a better job sharing tools with riding partners and strapped some items to top, pretty sure I could fit tent, bag and pack. I've never tried as the friend I go with on these trips isn't much of a camper
So if you you had to replace the Coyote, would you get the Great Basin or another Coyote?
I'm thinking I might get the Coyote and if I need more room, I can get the dry bag.

As far as pricing, do you know of any places that have good prices.
Pretty much every website I've checked have them listed at the same price.
$220-$230 for the Coyote
$430-$440 for the Great Basin

I missed out on a used coyote in the flea market this morning for $245.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #4294
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So if you you had to replace the Coyote, would you get the Great Basin or another Coyote?
I'm thinking I might get the Coyote and if I need more room, I can get the dry bag.

As far as pricing, do you know of any places that have good prices.
Pretty much every website I've checked have them listed at the same price.
$220-$230 for the Coyote
$430-$440 for the Great Basin

I missed out on a used coyote in the flea market this morning for $245.
Assume you mean used great basin for $245. GL stuff isn't cheap but well made. Now that Wachs isn't with GL maybe the Nomad Rider clone is more palatable? but my experience of their products isn't good. I can't say if you need great basin or coyote as it depends how light you can pack. My riding buddy would need 2 giant basins to fit all his stuff in Have you looked at Wachs packing article (Dirt Rider) link is on GL website, I'm pretty sure this is using the first Gen GL (similar to coyote) though may need some stuff strapped to outside.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #4295
blake716
nine toes

Quote:
Assume you mean used great basin for $245. GL stuff isn't cheap but well made. Now that Wachs isn't with GL maybe the Nomad Rider clone is more palatable? but my experience of their products isn't good. I can't say if you need great basin or coyote as it depends how light you can pack. My riding buddy would need 2 giant basins to fit all his stuff in Have you looked at Wachs packing article (Dirt Rider) link is on GL website, I'm pretty sure this is using the first Gen GL (similar to coyote) though may need some stuff strapped to outside.
It was the Coyote for $245

When I said I was finding the Coyotes new for $220-$230, I meant $320-$330 (I had a brain fart). I wish I could find them for $220.

I read some reviews on the Nomad Rider. They weren't really good reviews. And I can't find out if they're waterproof.
I'm assuming they're not, otherwise they would probably be advertised as waterproof or water resistant.

There's a Nomad for sale here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834073

And a damaged Coyote here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=giant+loop

I'll probably just end up buying a new one.

Now I'm about to order an Acerbis 6.6 gal. tank. I just can't decide on natural or orange.
Simple decision, right? Nope, not for me. Me shopping for bike stuff is like a woman in a shoe store.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:44 PM   #4296
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I read some reviews on the Nomad Rider. They weren't really good reviews. And I can't find out if they're waterproof.
I'm assuming they're not, otherwise they would probably be advertised as waterproof or water resistant.
I got their Mojavi clone, it was $94 shipped when they were having a startup sale. Couldn't not buy it. The top tool pouch ripped off the first time I used it -- albeit a tough single track ride -- and I almost lost all my tools. Personally I'm fine with it being a clone but quality isn't good enough (stitching) and their attempt at fixing it was comical (and somewhat questionable).

My Coyote has taken a beating and is still going. Best I've seen pricing wise is maybe $5/$10 under list with free shipping.

Someone else was mentioning the new Wolfman setup.

Not sure if Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse is still closing out the 6.6g tanks, they were selling them (clear iirc) for like $140.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 PM   #4297
blake716
nine toes

Quote:
I got their Mojavi clone, it was $94 shipped when they were having a startup sale. Couldn't not buy it. The top tool pouch ripped off the first time I used it -- albeit a tough single track ride -- and I almost lost all my tools. Personally I'm fine with it being a clone but quality isn't good enough (stitching) and their attempt at fixing it was comical (and somewhat questionable).

My Coyote has taken a beating and is still going. Best I've seen pricing wise is maybe $5/$10 under list with free shipping.

Someone else was mentioning the new Wolfman setup.

Not sure if Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse is still closing out the 6.6g tanks, they were selling them (clear iirc) for like $140.
$140

I've been searching, but the best I can find is $300 at justgastanks.com
Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 PM   #4298
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,593
not available for that $ anymore. bummer, because i'm going to need one eventually.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #4299
blake716
nine toes

Well, I'm about to push the button.
$300 for the tank, $312 for the GL, new tires & tubes, JD jet kit.....

Am I missing anything?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #4300
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,333
I don't think a Great Basin would fit an EXC well, way too big. The Coyote is pretty much the perfect size, if you need more space get the roll bag that straps onto it.

If you want to save some money get the damaged one in the Flea Market, a burned hole like that is easy to permanently repair with a patch and the right glue, will be stronger than new.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #4301
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,221
Dual sport armory has coyote for $313.

ps: bigfella in cambodia needs a christini setup
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:57 AM   #4302
blake716
nine toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
If you want to save some money get the damaged one in the Flea Market, a burned hole like that is easy to permanently repair with a patch and the right glue, will be stronger than new.
I PM'd the guy, but never got a response back. I ordered a whole bunch of stuff last night, but held off on the bag for now.
I'm really not in a hurry, so I'll shop around for a used one for a few weeks.
If I can't find one, I'm just going to buy a new Coyote.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #4303
selaznog
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
The Coyote is pretty much the perfect size, if you need more space get the roll bag that straps onto it.
I find that my Coyote isn't big enough for camping. I simply strap on an REI drybag (holds a sleeping bag, camp pillow and very small tent) and I'm good to go. In the pic below it was monsoon season, so I also have a small bag with rain gear attached.

selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #4304
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Great Basin Vs. Coyote

What works better?? Kind of like blonde's or brunettes I think. It's personal criteria that should guide your choice. Case in point. Big Fella is taking my 525 through the same tracks and trails that I did last year, he has the Great Basin and I use the Coyote. Both work for our intended needs. I think choice is dependent on your own packing style. We each differ in what we deem needed and vital for a trip. We both have packed for self sufficient travel, multi weeks through SEA off road and have the clothes and gear for monsoon rains. What ends up in our respective bags most likely is not identical, however we have worked out that it addresses each of our needs.

I know when I first began dirt biking on multi week trips my load was a lot larger than what it is now.

This was what my typical load looked like for camping and cooking out in the bush when I started on the KTM. The Coyote is filled along with a strap on Therma Rest.

A few years later and my last trip on the 525 where I was cooking and camping the load had been trimmed down quite a bit. Most of the load is carried in the lower sides of the Coyote and hardly any on top of the seat.

The gear packed inside has to cope with the same conditions yet you can see there is a reduced packing volume in the second pic due to experience teaching me to par down.

I have camping gear, cooking gear, rain gear, food, water, clothes, water filter, saw, tire tools, tools, diabetic supplies, blah, blah in both pics. Yet they pack into vary different sizes. We are all different on what we deem vital to pack for our trips and its this mindset that will determine what size bag you can cram your stuff into. What works for me may not indeed work for you. As evidenced by Selzanog finding the Coyote not being big enough for his camping needs.

For Big Fella the Great Basin isn'tt even big enough. Though if you've seen the size of the bastard you'll understand why. I think I could sleep in his boots.

There is no right or wrong answer on what GL bag is better. Its taking into account your packing tendencies and evaluating your packing list to see what bag will fit your needs.

Best of luck.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

team ftb screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 01:41 AM
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:44 AM   #4305
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
Quote:
Is your Giant Loop the Great Basin or the Coyote?

I'm planning on ordering one this week, but I'm not sure which one to get.
Mine is the Great Basin. I quite like it. I slurped plenty of seam sealer in there and its been pretty good. Have only ever had a little bit of water get in. I pack my clothes and black spaghetti in dry bags just in case though. Justin, as he's outlined above, used to ride this bike with the Coyote.

Yeah... I'm carrying more. I'm willing to bet my medical kit is bigger... I've got, IIRC, 5 Epipens (adrenaline) in there... anyone who has had an anaphylaxis attack before would do the same. Its that or die. Yeah... I'm finding stuff that I could ditch and probably will when I come back next time, but I'm packing for both cities and remote areas. I've got one set of shirt, socks, undies too many, based on this trip so far, I haven't used my one man mosquito net or my groundsheet (I walked 5km to a village after I drowned the bike... otherwise I would have). A pair of my size 12 (48) shoes takes up some space. I'm carrying 4 spare tubes... have had a few flats... 3, sometimes 4 litres of oil.... which I've needed when I drowned the bike. I've got too much black spaghetti... I've got a Netbook, DSLR, Point & Shoot, Video, phone, Iridium (I could do without it), SPOT and GPS. Add chargers and cables and it gets bulky.

When I get to the end of this part of the trip I might make two piles... used and not used and take a photo. Difficulty there is things like spares and tools. I'm sure as hell under-done with spares. I need more wheel bearings and seals, more brake pads.. a pair of rotors would be nice,,,, and so on. I had a delay of several days waiting for wheel bearings and even then had to spend a day on buses going to intercept them in another town. Another is the raincoat... I've not used it, but its my sort-of space blanket in case I got stuck up high somewhere.... to keep me warm. I'd pack it again... but I don't wear rain gear here. I've only used my Steripen twice. Not often enough as it turned out, and I spent a week shitting through the eye of a needle. I'd take it again... and make it more accessible in the pack. I've been short on water a couple of times... quite dehydrated... 22 hours between pisses dehydrated.

I wish I'd brought my Wolfman tube on this part of the trip... it sits nicely on top of the GL.... and it can be packed light. Heavy stuff... tools, tubes, oil - goes down low. Light stuff up high.

The Bigfella screwed with this post 10-18-2012 at 06:08 AM
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote