User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #4336
vgx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Hi.
So I am riding a used exc520 2000 for about 3 months, and I have got a few questions.
1. As I have noticed, the engine is eating oil.. It could be about 100ml in 10 hours (I don't know exactly). I have noticed a little blue smoke too when standing and giving a throttle. Can you approximately say what parts I'll have to change?
2. Does the bike originally has a plastic chain guard?
3. How to correctly kickstart the bike and not pointlessly kick it? I have heard that it needs to find a specific stroke (or maybe tdc?) How to find and feel that state before kicking?
vgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #4337
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by socaltrailrider View Post
I had the same problem on my 525. Shoot JD an e-mail and he will give you an adjustment. It's been awhile and i can't remember what he told me, but it did work. I'll see if I can dig up the e-mail.
JD e-mailed me back this weekend with a few instructions.

The problem turned out to be the fuel screw. I only backed it out 1/4 turn more than it already was.
I can't believe how much difference that small adjustment made. Of course, the cooler temps (60 deg) probably helped too.

I got to put in some good riding today and when you whack the throttle right out of a berm, it's like being shot out of a cannon.
Super responsive. It's almost too much. Flat turns take some fine throttle control.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 AM   #4338
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Well, I seem to be having carb issues on my 525. It has run perfectly since I got it, but began to develop an annoying bog off the bottom a few months ago. The bog got progressively worse to the point of killing the bike, so I pulled the bowl off the carb and cleaned everything as much as possible. I also took the opertunity to go ahead and adjust the valves/ service the bike.

Well, that didn't fix the issue. In fact, I had to limp home from a ride this weekend because the bog (off the bottom) got so bad it was killing the bike and flooding it. I can't imagaine this is a jetting issue, because the bike ran great before this began. I am thinking it's the AP, and plan to install the Honda diaphram this evening.

My question is, can the AP diaphram go bad? Or, if they get dirty, could it cause the bike to flood off the bottom? I'm thinking it could, because contaminants in the wrong place could cause the squirt duration to be off...but I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, so a little confirmation from someone who does would be helpful.

Also, I have read that a poor connection in the sprk plug boot can cause fits, but I can't see how that could be the culprit and be isolated to just off idle throttle.

Anyway, I'm drinking coffee and pondering the issue this morning. Thought? suggestions? heartfelt condolences?
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #4339
blake716
nine toes

Oddometer: 10,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufjeep View Post
Well, I seem to be having carb issues on my 525. It has run perfectly since I got it, but began to develop an annoying bog off the bottom a few months ago. The bog got progressively worse to the point of killing the bike, so I pulled the bowl off the carb and cleaned everything as much as possible. I also took the opertunity to go ahead and adjust the valves/ service the bike.

Well, that didn't fix the issue. In fact, I had to limp home from a ride this weekend because the bog (off the bottom) got so bad it was killing the bike and flooding it. I can't imagaine this is a jetting issue, because the bike ran great before this began. I am thinking it's the AP, and plan to install the Honda diaphram this evening.

My question is, can the AP diaphram go bad? Or, if they get dirty, could it cause the bike to flood off the bottom? I'm thinking it could, because contaminants in the wrong place could cause the squirt duration to be off...but I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, so a little confirmation from someone who does would be helpful.

Also, I have read that a poor connection in the sprk plug boot can cause fits, but I can't see how that could be the culprit and be isolated to just off idle throttle.

Anyway, I'm drinking coffee and pondering the issue this morning. Thought? suggestions? heartfelt condolences?
When I emailed JD about the bogging problem I was having, he gave me a list of things to check. My problem ended up being simple and I was able to fix it just by adjusting the fuel screw. There was also a slight bit of corrosion in the diaphragm, so I cleaned it.
One of the things that he said might be an issue was a worn out diaphragm. So to answer your question, according to JD, yes, the diaphragm can go bad.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:18 AM   #4340
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake716 View Post
When I emailed JD about the bogging problem I was having, he gave me a list of things to check. My problem ended up being simple and I was able to fix it just by adjusting the fuel screw. There was also a slight bit of corrosion in the diaphragm, so I cleaned it.
One of the things that he said might be an issue was a worn out diaphragm. So to answer your question, according to JD, yes, the diaphragm can go bad.
Awesome!Thanks for that. Hopefully I will know this evening.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #4341
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
Take a close look at your float, float needle, and needle seat. These have led to bog conditions for me in the past. Would help us to help you eliminate it from the variables.
2004 KTM 525 exc
2006 Beta Rev3
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:50 AM   #4342
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer

Oddometer: 193
Protection for the Acerbis 6.6 gall tank

I am running with the Acerbis 6.6 gall tank because in South Africa the distances are so huge I have to.
I need the 420 km range that the tank gives me.
I'm a bit concerned about the vulnerability of the tank though.
I had a small off this weekend in the sand and the one side of the tank got a bit of a scrape. It looks to me like the tank could get punctured quite easily.
Anyone made up some form of protection for this tank?
espressodrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:20 AM   #4343
RuckedUp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by espressodrinker View Post
I am running with the Acerbis 6.6 gall tank because in South Africa the distances are so huge I have to.
I had a small off this weekend in the sand and the one side of the tank got a bit of a scrape. It looks to me like the tank could get punctured quite easily.
I have been using the same tank on my bike and have had a lot of get offs while in deep sand and on gravel roads , at speed the tank gets scraped up but no holes. I carry a extra petcock when I'm out in the desert or on a rally and a tube of JB weld for emergency repairs. The big worry is the petcock as its a bit exposed.
10' KTM 450EXC
84' Honda 500VT Ascot
RuckedUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:36 AM   #4344
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
The big worry is the petcock as its a bit exposed.
I bought another of the smaller non-reserve petcocks for the left side precisely because the OEM one is huge. I figure with 6.6g if I run out of gas I have bigger problems. The spokanister site has some discussion about making a small protector to guard the compact petcock.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #4345
espressodrinker
Cape Town Wanderer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuckedUp View Post
I have been using the same tank on my bike and have had a lot of get offs while in deep sand and on gravel roads , at speed the tank gets scraped up but no holes. I carry a extra petcock when I'm out in the desert or on a rally and a tube of JB weld for emergency repairs. The big worry is the petcock as its a bit exposed.
Nice to know that it can handle a few scrapes on gravel (so far I have only slid in sand), but I will be happier if I could attach some aluminium plate onto the bottom lobes that seem to take the hits.
espressodrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:02 AM   #4346
socaltrailrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake716 View Post
JD e-mailed me back this weekend with a few instructions.

The problem turned out to be the fuel screw. I only backed it out 1/4 turn more than it already was.
I can't believe how much difference that small adjustment made. Of course, the cooler temps (60 deg) probably helped too.

I got to put in some good riding today and when you whack the throttle right out of a berm, it's like being shot out of a cannon.
Super responsive. It's almost too much. Flat turns take some fine throttle control.
Yep, that was it. Sorry i couldn't find the e-mail and I forgot to come post back. He sent instructions on how to properly set the fuel screw.
socaltrailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #4347
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by espressodrinker View Post
I've had some fun get offs with mine (broke my ribs going 40+ on gravel/rocky 2 track) and other than scratches it has no sign of wear. the thing is bullet proof.
I agree with the petcock. I need to order another one just in case.
you don't need a reserve petcock. just keep the right side turned off and when you run out, turn the right side on or tip the bike on the left side.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #4348
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,592
chain length question:

going to run 14/48 for d/s, with a second wheelset running 14/52.

looking at the chain, my choices are to cut 2 links off my 118 and run the axle way back, or
cut 4 links off and run the axle way forward.

this is with the axle block flipped so the "long" side is towards the swingarm. i'm hoping flipping it to the "short" side will allow the 52 to fit.

wisdom?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #4349
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaco View Post
Hi.
So I am riding a used exc520 2000 for about 3 months, and I have got a few questions.
1. As I have noticed, the engine is eating oil.. It could be about 100ml in 10 hours (I don't know exactly). I have noticed a little blue smoke too when standing and giving a throttle. Can you approximately say what parts I'll have to change?
2. Does the bike originally has a plastic chain guard?
3. How to correctly kickstart the bike and not pointlessly kick it? I have heard that it needs to find a specific stroke (or maybe tdc?) How to find and feel that state before kicking?
Can't answer 1 and 2, oil burning could be rings, piston, hard to tell ya what you'll need there.

As for 3, cold engine put the choke on, crack the throttle lightly a couple times, pull the decomp lever in and kick through 2 or 3 times. Then, let off and kick slowly until you meet resistance at the top of the kick stroke. Don't give it gas as you kick, put your hand on the brake resevoir so you don't inadvertently give it gas. Kick it over while touching the start button simultaneously should fire up 1st or 2nd kick.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #4350
dieselcruiserhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapped_r6 View Post
chain length question:

going to run 14/48 for d/s, with a second wheelset running 14/52.

looking at the chain, my choices are to cut 2 links off my 118 and run the axle way back, or
cut 4 links off and run the axle way forward.

this is with the axle block flipped so the "long" side is towards the swingarm. i'm hoping flipping it to the "short" side will allow the 52 to fit.

wisdom?
In my opinion you generally want the axle farther back particularly on an RFS bike. They handle better with the axle pushed back in terms of tracking... This is particularly true for the bikes through '05 in my opinion and made huge differeces on my 00-03 style bike with the earlier rear swingarm..
dieselcruiserhead is offline   Reply With Quote