Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #46
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
OK, serious now - with the correct mods, oil cooler, better seat, probably one of those cam throttle things...

Is this the kind of bike that could do a 40,000 mile RTW trip? (none of this 2 or 3 day trip nonsense!)

I've looked at the Let's build a DS KTM 525 thread, and it all looks doable, but... my worries are :

Reliability
Fuel Consumption / Range

The other bike I am considering is an XR400, which is more reliable (engine not highly tuned, air cooled, no electronic black boxes to go wrong), and has better fuel consumption/range (I really don't wanna get stranded in the middle on Mongolia).

Which I've these two bikes would be the best for this task?

I'm thinking that is going to have to be the Honda...
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #47
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesbian
OK, serious now - with the correct mods, oil cooler, better seat, probably one of those cam throttle things...

Is this the kind of bike that could do a 40,000 mile RTW trip? (none of this 2 or 3 day trip nonsense!)
No. You need a less highly strung bike, not one with a race motor. Like a DR650 or similar.

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:11 PM   #48
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Quote:

I've looked at the Let's build a DS KTM 525 thread, and it all looks doable, but... my worries are :

Reliability
Fuel Consumption / Range

The other bike I am considering is an XR400, which is more reliable (engine not highly tuned, air cooled, no electronic black boxes to go wrong), and has better fuel consumption/range (I really don't wanna get stranded in the middle on Mongolia).

Which I've these two bikes would be the best for this task?

I'm thinking that is going to have to be the Honda...
I wouldn't personally bring EITHER of these bikes on a RTW trip. John is right about the 525...it is too high strung for that. The 400 would be small for me. I'd be looking at a 650, be it a KLR, XR, or DR. Just my opinion.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:51 PM   #49
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
Rtw 525

The 525 does have its virtues that could be strengthened. It is robust, simple and durable. With protective skid plate, etc. it would be hard to harm it. It is so light compared to the competition that handling it for miles in deep sand or muddy tracks in Siberia would be much easier. The reliability could be extended with a thicker base gasket, a cush rear hub, an HT oil cooler, etc. You would be limited in what you could carry even with the ProMoto rack and Dirt Bagz mounted to that rack. You could overcome some of the mileage problems with the JR jetting and the 6.6 gallon Acerbis tank. It would be a whole lot more fun than the competition as well. If you are mechanically adept it should do just fine. If they can do the Dakar on them with every mile being pushed to the limit the 525 should be able to do a RTW trip.

The new 690 Adventure ('08 it is rumored) definitely would work since the 640s routinely do that trip.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #50
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,056
any such option as a lower compression piston??? give up a couple ponies for longevity??

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #51
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Reliable 525s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
any such option as a lower compression piston??? give up a couple ponies for longevity??
Not that I know of. This does have a very stout forged piston, unlike the sand cast ones in the 400/450s. This piston is one of the reasons this bike seems to run forever. I have seen '02s with who knows how many miles on them and just beat to crap and then pulled out and ridden some more. Tough bikes. Just raise the deck height a bit with thicker base gaskets.

Stu
Old 02-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #52
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

I have no doubt the piston will last with good gas, but for the intended use in this thread, getting good gas is a crapshoot, & even the best components will succumb to detonation, although a switchable dual ignition curve can help, optimum timing for good fuel & a retarded curve for poor quality, along with the other additions mentioned before

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Old 02-09-2007, 10:56 PM   #53
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Timing

Although the 950 does have a dual curve built in I do not think any of the singles used to run around the world have them. Everyone I know that runs in Mexico on the local gas seems to get along OK even when pulling hard in sandy washes. You could index the stator before you left and then reset it if detonation occurred. The fuel would have to be pretty awful to create it.
Stu
Old 02-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #54
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
The 525 does have its virtues that could be strengthened. It is robust, simple and durable. With protective skid plate, etc. it would be hard to harm it. It is so light compared to the competition that handling it for miles in deep sand or muddy tracks in Siberia would be much easier. The reliability could be extended with a thicker base gasket, a cush rear hub, an HT oil cooler, etc. You would be limited in what you could carry even with the ProMoto rack and Dirt Bagz mounted to that rack. You could overcome some of the mileage problems with the JR jetting and the 6.6 gallon Acerbis tank. It would be a whole lot more fun than the competition as well. If you are mechanically adept it should do just fine. If they can do the Dakar on them with every mile being pushed to the limit the 525 should be able to do a RTW trip.
Hmm... the problem is that - at the moment - I'm not mechanically adept. Although with I guess, 14 months before I plan to leave, I have the time to learn :)

I'm purposely taking an offroad bike rather than a DS bike like my F650GS BECAUSE it means I can't take too much crap - just the essentials.

It really is a choice between the 525 or the XR400 - once you get off of decent roads, your bigger displacement bikes are just heavier and sucking more fuel than the smaller bikes (therefore less range) - you'll still only be able to travel at the speed at which conditions allow, which I expect to be averaging 55 kph. Power is great for cruising on a highway, but the extra power and weight just work against you when your are stuck in some sand or mud.

Bearing that in mind, sacraficing ponies for longevity is no problem at all, the same goes for fuel consumption.

The dakar is different though - the bikes get serviced and if necessary, rebuilt, every night at the bivouac. I don't intend to doing that - and I'm not going to have much luggage allowance for spares either.

I agree it would be more fun than the competition... which is what this is all about, after all... otherwise I'd just use a R1200GS and stick mainly to asphalted roads the whole way round ;)

I have a trip from UK to Norway and back planned in about 6 weeks. I'm going to use that as a dry run for whatever bike I take RTW, it's about a 3000 mile round trip (I guess thats 10 days). I could take the 525 on this, with some minor modifications... I will be mostly in developed countries, so if things go bang, I should be able to get it repaired... hmmm....

Have you guys heard of ANYONE using a non-adventure series KTM (EXC,SXC,MXC) for any kind of long distance prolonged riding?
Old 02-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #55
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

I could be wrong, my memory ain't what it used to be, but I think a member named jimeconomo or something like that, his brother has major miles on his EXC450 in SM trim, could be the exception to the rule, but the only one that can give you an honest answer is someone whos tried it & tried doing major miles on it. Good luck

06 Husky TE510
Old 02-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #56
vuugti
Pretty much...

Oddometer: 381
Jim's the guy. He was selling his 520 on here not long ago. His user name doesn't come up anymore, so I'm not sure what happened. Yea, he and his brother have put major miles on them.

All this speculation; do we know of anyone who's 525 has shit the bed after 2000 mi or 5K or 7.5K?

I'd have zero reservations taking the 525 to the end of the world and back. Let's face it if it can handle Dakar your RTW trip is no biggie.
vuugti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 10:16 AM   #57
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuugti
I'd have zero reservations taking the 525 to the end of the world and back. Let's face it if it can handle Dakar your RTW trip is no biggie.
OK, I'll make some mods to the 525, and take it on the test ride to Norway. *IF* it handles that OK, maybe I'll take it RTW. In the meantime I'm gonna be on the lookout for a decent XR400, just in case.

Right, so with that in mind... my 525 is a stock MXC, other than a DOMO exhaust. What mods would you recommend for covering long distances?

My list is quite extensive, but essentials look to be :

- HT Racing oil cooler
- Renazco seat
- some form of windshield
- pro moto billet rack

I also need to get the rest of the lighting kit installed, all the switches are installed, but no indicators :-/

Anything else?
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
Old 02-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #58
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

It might need regearing for more street friendly RPM's ??? & a fan wouldn't hurt

06 Husky TE510
Old 02-10-2007, 10:36 AM   #59
moragabiker
Scott

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
OK, I'll make some mods to the 525, and take it on the test ride to Norway. *IF* it handles that OK, maybe I'll take it RTW. In the meantime I'm gonna be on the lookout for a decent XR400, just in case.

Right, so with that in mind... my 525 is a stock MXC, other than a DOMO exhaust. What mods would you recommend for covering long distances?

My list is quite extensive, but essentials look to be :

- HT Racing oil cooler
- Renazco seat
- some form of windshield
- pro moto billet rack

I also need to get the rest of the lighting kit installed, all the switches are installed, but no indicators :-/

Anything else?
You should be set after adding a 25L Gas Tank and a Steering Damper.

In order to carry your gear without fear of breaking your subframe, you might also consider a small Expedition Rear Bag from www.wolfmanluggage.com
moragabiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #60
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,726
I Dont Meen To Be An Ass...but, Round The World On A Xr400? Ouch Man. I Think You Should Try It, That Way , In The Future, We Know If It Can Be Done. Good Luck On Either One I Say...better Off With A Klr, Or Mabye Even An Xr650l Or Something.

Well Never Know If You Dont Try...until Then Its "is Chevy Better Than Ford"

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote