Old 10-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #841
mototifosi
what does this one do?

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-E
Hello All,

I just traded for a '04 525exc, and I am also riding a 990"S"

I have a couple of questions, and do not have the time to look at all 50 some pages, so forgive me if this has been gone over.

What is the highest set of bars that I can run with a Scott's Dampner installed and weilded?

What is the best skid plate?

You guy's are gonna kill me for this one, what is the best........oh I better search that one, I am sure there are lots of info. on oil....

Take care all, Eric.

I have an 02 LC4 Six days with the big tank. 6' tall and wanted to be more comfortable (and look like the Dakar guys! LOL) standing. Keep in mind you will most likely have to replace cables (I did). I have the stock fat bars... I used the Rox Risers (2") rise which cleared the Scotts damper (barely) and then on top of that used a 1" standard block riser between the bottom bracket of the Rox and the bars. Turned out great, very comfy standing up. I didn't want to mess with pulling the whole front end apart to remount a different damper or brace.
mototifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #842
Fjr eh
Captain Adventure

Oddometer: 45
Mod questions? Recommendations

I've had a great time riding the 2007 525exc and I'm thinking about selling the KLR. I'm just not interested in riding it anymore. The KLR is set for camping and exploring, rode it once this summer. So I'm looking at adding some more goodies to the KTM. I've already added the oil cooler, HO stator (trail tech), fan, stabilizer (scotts, underbar), 13 and 23l fuel tanks. I'm a fan of the MT43 and XCMH

Questions

1) Raise the bars, I'm 6'1" can I use the KTM spaces under the Scott's riser? Or is there another way to raise the bar, abit?

2) Flywheel, why should I or want to add the -7oz. flywheel? I see several rider have added this option.

3) Luggage, hows the giant loop Coyote? I already have the PB rear rack. Whats the best way to carry on some camping gear.

Thanks,

Mark
Fjr eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #843
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjr eh
I've had a great time riding the 2007 525exc and I'm thinking about selling the KLR. I'm just not interested in riding it anymore. The KLR is set for camping and exploring, rode it once this summer. So I'm looking at adding some more goodies to the KTM. I've already added the oil cooler, HO stator (trail tech), fan, stabilizer (scotts, underbar), 13 and 23l fuel tanks. I'm a fan of the MT43 and XCMH

Questions

1) Raise the bars, I'm 6'1" can I use the KTM spaces under the Scott's riser? Or is there another way to raise the bar, abit?

2) Flywheel, why should I or want to add the -7oz. flywheel? I see several rider have added this option.

3) Luggage, hows the giant loop Coyote? I already have the PB rear rack. Whats the best way to carry on some camping gear.

Thanks,

Mark
1. You can add a spacer on top of the Scott's mount. I use this type:

You just stack however many you want to put the bars as high as you want them. You will likely need longer throttle cable however.

2. Adding weight to the flywheel smooths out the power and decreases the likelyhood of stalling. If you ride slippery technical terrain this mod could be useful. If you like a quick revving instant power kind of motor then this mod is a step in the wrong direction.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:41 AM   #844
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjr eh

Questions

Thanks,

Mark
1- Buy taller bars and keep you old one for a spare.

2-Does your engine rev slower than you'd like? Throttle response to slow? If so add the -7 flywheel. I love mine but if you ride tight slick stuff then skip it.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:09 AM   #845
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,493
Pastrana FMX bars are about an inch taller than CR High; which in turn are about 1/2" taller than stock.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:11 AM   #846
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
Pastrana FMX bars are about an inch taller than CR High; which in turn are about 1/2" taller than stock.
They also have much more sweep than the stock bars which some don't care for. KTM stock bars have very little sweep which pulls you forward on the bike.

Originally Posted by rickf
Oh no, Robby's still a pendejo, but he's OUR pendejo!
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #847
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,698
Quote:
They also have much more sweep than the stock bars which some don't care for. KTM stock bars have very little sweep which pulls you forward on the bike.

Anybody know the height on the stock bars? I really want about a 1/2" higher but I don't like the sweep of the CR highs...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #848
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Eh, I like em.

Stock bars have too much droop for me. But I base every bend off the CR High.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #849
GR0NK
Got some screws loose!

Oddometer: 1,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by LILBIT
2-Does your engine rev slower than you'd like? Throttle response to slow? If so add the -7 flywheel. I love mine but if you ride tight slick stuff then skip it.
My bad. It was late and I thought he was asking about a 7oz flywheel weight, not a 7oz flywheel.
Yeah the 7oz flywheel is lighter than stock and makes for a quicker revving engine. Not what you want in the slippery technical stuff.

Sean

Nullus Vereor ex Terra Incognita
GR0NK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:43 AM   #850
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyY
Eh, I like em.

Stock bars have too much droop for me. But I base every bend off the CR High.
Have you tried rotating your bars forward?

Oh no, Robby's still a pendejo, but he's OUR pendejo!
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:28 PM   #851
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
Flywheel

I have yet to find anything I do not like about the Trail Tech 7 oz. lighter flywheel, including slick stuff. That 525 just hooks and goes but I am comparing it to my 300 2T which can be a real squirrel in snotty stuff. Rear tire choice will help here if you run a tire meant for muddy conditions.

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 PM   #852
LILBIT
Ride you must.

Oddometer: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu
I have yet to find anything I do not like about the Trail Tech 7 oz. lighter flywheel, including slick stuff. That 525 just hooks and goes but I am comparing it to my 300 2T which can be a real squirrel in snotty stuff. Rear tire choice will help here if you run a tire meant for muddy conditions.

Stu
I think some of this may be carb setup. My carb is setup for max snap. This added with the lighter flywheel makes it spin up MUCH easier than stock. Wet roots are terrible. I'll not argue that a rider with greater skill would be more adaptive. I had an older 300 and it was much grippier than than 525 is now.
LILBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #853
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Have you tried rotating your bars forward?
yup. I'm an ergo's nazi. Every bike gets bars, levers, brake, and shifter tweaked extensively before I ride it.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:50 AM   #854
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
stock bar hieght

Hayduke asked:
Quote:
Anybody know the height on the stock bars?
Measured mine at 2 1/2 inches of rise for you Hayduke.

Since I broke my leg last year (four breaks and a metal plate later) when I lost the front end, the stock shifter is now too low. When I raised it one notch its perfect, however the shifter contacts the chain when upshifting in this position. Are there any aftermarket shifters that are higher does anyone know? or other solutions? Why oh why does KTM not have a normal shifter mount like all the Japanese bikes so any aftermarket steel shifter can be added.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.

team ftb screwed with this post 11-04-2009 at 04:55 AM
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #855
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
Hayduke asked:

Measured mine at 2 1/2 inches of rise for you Hayduke.

Since I broke my leg last year (four breaks and a metal plate later) when I lost the front end, the stock shifter is now too low. When I raised it one notch its perfect, however the shifter contacts the chain when upshifting in this position. Are there any aftermarket shifters that are higher does anyone know? or other solutions? Why oh why does KTM not have a normal shifter mount like all the Japanese bikes so any aftermarket steel shifter can be added.
Moose makes a steel replacement if I recall.

However, the HammerHead shifter is badass. I've got the +20 on my bike cuz I wear a size 13 boot.