Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2007, 04:50 PM   #91
flux_capacitor
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbydave
I just started plans today on my RFS/AFS(adventure four stroke) conversion. I have been wanting to do this for years. I hope to have it done by May 07
--------------------------
1. start with a street plated 525 XC (not exc)
2. install custom trans mod, exc 1st & 2nd, keep the MXC close ratio mid gears and lower 6th to pull the 15/42 final drive
3.install stroker crank and 540 cyl
4. build low pipe along frame to a stock exc muffler
5.build skid plate to cover all
6.install the acerbis 25 liter tank
7. build a carbon/kevlar dakar cowl w/2 baja designs stock style headlight reflectors, use the black SM front high fender
8.install trail tech Lynx vapor instrumentation
9. HT oil cooler
10.evans coolant and ktm fan, hardparts radiator guards
11.trail tech rewound stator and rare earth magnet +7 oz flywheel
12.Osram HID headlights hi/low and LED tail and turns
13. aluminum splinted subframe with soft steel rack and panier mounts with bolt-on segments similar to the 950 design, to allow option for soft panniers or pelicans and easily bent back in event of an incident
14 suspension set-up with scotts UBM and subtanks to compensate for the heavier mid valve settings

possible options to consider:
Wider rear rim and TKC 80
Tire balls or mousse insert in front tire
Heavier spokes and DID heavy duty rims
Custom heavy duty high volume radiators
Possibly use a 640 or 950 adventure cowl to hack up to start making the CF/kevlar cowl.
Posibly use the 950 adventure windscreen (for availability)
Possibly an aluminum tool kit on the right side of the engine where the pipe was
Trail tech helmet lights( in adition to the hi/lo fairing mount HIDs) with heavy duty hook/loop mounting to the fairing wired with release plug for instant quick change from fairing use to helmet use location
Cordless drill converted into a quick mount winch
DOOD! i can't wait to see it!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #92
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Cordless drill converted into a quick mount winch
I'd love to see/hear more about this.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #93
John E Davies
Runs at Mouth Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
I just started plans today on my RFS/AFS(adventure four stroke) conversion. I have been wanting to do this for years. I hope to have it done by May 07
SNIP
10.evans coolant and ktm fan, hardparts radiator guards
That's sounds like a VERY fun project. A word of caution: while I know that at least one AdvRider (El Mur) has got his Hard Parts steel guards to work with the Acerbis tank by creative shimming and swearing, I sure couldn't. There simply wasn't enough clearance. Please consider the Bullet Proof Racing guards. They work simply fantastic under that tank, and provide very nice 1 inch wide flat surfaces for mounting inexpensive tank bumpers (furniture glides). Unless you are going to be roosted constantly, the slight reduction in frontal protection over the stock louvers is a non-issue.

The BPD guards are a work of art and will please you enormously when you see them on your bike.
http://www.spokanister.net/ktm_bullet_proof.html

Note in this pic the difference in widths between the two guards (steel guard under, both positioned as they would mount to the frame):

Please keep us updated with this project, once you get wrenching!

Home Page: http://www.spokanister.net

John E Davies screwed with this post 02-12-2007 at 05:42 PM
John E Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #94
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuugti
Your test run will answer a lot of your questions.

I'll send a pic of my setup as it currently exists.

1. The eletrosport stator is supposedly good for 270 watts, this also replaces your wiring harness - (weak link).

2. I'm with the other guys here; I don't see a need to beef up the subframe. Hell anyone can weld aluminum (if needed), even in the middle of nowhere. Disconnect battery first.

Link to rear bag - http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi...xpRearBag.html
Link to tank bag - http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Expedi...xpTankBag.html

Each are waterproof, no cover BS.

3. No need to change seat pan with Acerbis 6.6 tank. I have one. Fits perfect.

4. Use cush drive wheel from 05' Adventure, fits perfect. I have one. $650 US...need the number of the dealer, I'll give it to you. Unless you're some super dakar/baja stud I don't foresee bending the stock rim (Behr). FWIW the cush drive is cheaper than a tranny and more convienent in the middle of nowhere.

5. Buy the expensive parts used.....new Scotts dampners routinely go for $250 on eBay. Your exchange rate will kill the price.

6. I have heavier fork springs for the tank. Full fuel load didn't change a thing other than breaking.

7. Use the clutch lever adjuster for the front brake lever to gain more feel or feel at all.

8. I wouldn't get hung up on oil changes. 1000 mi on one and the oil looks new, kept for 2K.

jimeconomou must have been banned or something as he is no longer a user.

Basically, lots of good info here (site). I'd do you pre-run then hash out the problems.

Need part numbers or any other junk let me know. Pics to follow.
Excellent! lots of useful info there... would love to see pictures of the Wolfman expedition stuff... I like the idea that its waterproof, but both bags look bigger than the other wolfman ones previously recommended.

270 watt stator is on shopping list, as is the Acerbis tank.

With the Scotts damper, do I need any other kit with it? triple clamp? bar adaptors? I've seen pictures of it, but I dont understand how it works - its way different to a steering dampener on a sports bike!

I'm buying stuff this week - Wolfman luggage (once I've decided which ones), HT oil cooler, 270w stator, 22L Acerbis tank, TT mounting for GPS, and Renazco seat

In the meantime I'll look on Ebay for the rest...
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
'89 Honda Camino (The Adventure Moped)
leesbian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:47 AM   #95
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusgatos
I'd love to see/hear more about this.
+1
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #96
vuugti
Pretty much...

Oddometer: 381
Stu,
Ok, part numbers.

'05 Adv rear wheel complete - 582 10 00 11 44 30 has been changed to '06 wheel. Same thing.

Sprocket carrier - 583 100 50 144

Dampners - 546 10 45 9 000

Leesbian -
Find the dampner first. Scotts is very specific with their mount and the position of your handle bars (1 through 4). You must know this before you order your stuff from them. Bolt-on post mount is the way to go.....unless you like welding to the frame.

Pics of Wolfman Luggage - rear bag mounted for pic.
Attached Images

vuugti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #97
vuugti
Pretty much...

Stu -
Ahhhhh, I know what you mean. My space for the gap is more like 3 mm. No calipers yet. I've had 0 problems.

Does this help?
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #98
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Stu,
Ok, part numbers.

'05 Adv rear wheel complete - 582 10 00 11 44 30 has been changed to '06 wheel. Same thing.

Sprocket carrier - 583 100 50 144

Dampners - 546 10 45 9 000

Leesbian -
Find the dampner first. Scotts is very specific with their mount and the position of your handle bars (1 through 4). You must know this before you order your stuff from them. Bolt-on post mount is the way to go.....unless you like welding to the frame.

Pics of Wolfman Luggage - rear bag mounted for pic.
Excellent. Thanks (again!)

Will phone my local dealer in the morning to get a price on the rear wheel... what year is your bike? or would a better question be, do you know the part numbers (on your bike) that these replacements for? (I can find out what the part numbers for my bike are in the manual). I just want to be sure that there arent any variations for different year models (and I'm pretty sure that the guys at the KTM dealers won't know about sticking an LC4 rear wheel on an EXC/MXC).

Sorry for all the questions!

The luggage you recommended looks great - I was worried cos the tank bag looked huge on the Wolfman website, but I guess it can be compressed down. I'll order those tomorrow - waterproof is definately the best idea (dont want all my gear getting wet/muddy or dusty).

I think I need to give Scotts a call - another thing I need to think about is finding heated grips that will either fit the bars I've already got, or find bars to fit whatever heated grips are available (looks like over hear the choice is limited to Oxford products). I know - heated grips on one of these bikes sounds not terrifically rock n roll, but I think on a RTW trip, they're gonna come in handy!

Going to order my Acerbis tank tonite, or first thing tomorrow...
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
Old 02-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #99
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
Cush Hub

Vuugti,
Thanks for the info! I also posted a note on KTMTalk to see if anyone has made the wheel work. I will let you know what I find out.

On my '06 wheel with the '06 backing plate (p/n ending in 344, not 144) I could not get the backing plate to squeeze into the wheel with the cushion rubbers installed. I used the axle, axle nut and some tubing "spacers" to draw the whole thing together. You got 3mm, which would be tight but it would work (you did it) and I got 8 to 9 mm of backing plate sticking out. No go.

I will try your part numbers and see what I can come up with!

Thanks!! Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #100
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Having just talked about checking part numbers in manuals, I've discovered 2 things :

1) the part number for my complete rear wheel appears to be 548.10.001.244 which appears to be an EU only part number. I'm hoping you're going to tell me the part number for your original rear is either that or 548.10.001.344

2) my bike is a 2004 model, I'd assumed it was 2003, cos thats when it was first registered. Apparently it aint, cos all my manuals have 2004 all over them
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
Old 02-13-2007, 03:05 PM   #101
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 916
Euro Wheel

Leesbian.

KTM USA does NOT want the RFS on the streets here and has made that clear over the years. I suspect it has something to do with our government regulations and enforcement, but I am speculating. KTM USA says that the LC4 wheel will not work on the RFS. Not what they supply, that is. I will check on the 244 wheel. If I have to I will get one from over there. Thanks!

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #102
vuugti
Pretty much...

Stu -
Pat indicated he had a bunch of guys buying the EXC wheel for their 640 Adventures and none of those guys are having problems. Also, I had the gap you have now they I understand the problem fully. After 100 mi no gap. It fit really damn tight too. Now, no problem. I also used some alcohol upon assembly to lube things up a little hoping they'd slide together easier.

Leesbian -
I sold my stock rear wheel, sorry I don't have any part numbers. The bike is an '05 525 EXC.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 02-13-2007, 04:33 PM   #103
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Stu,
Ok, part numbers.

'05 Adv rear wheel complete - 582 10 00 11 44 30 has been changed to '06
is this the guy? http://www.ktm-parts.com/Merchant2/m...&Category_Code=

Wonder how much that'd cost to ship over here... will still get quote from local dealership.
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto
Old 02-13-2007, 05:36 PM   #104
vuugti
Pretty much...

Not sure, Pat has a 304 area code phone number though. Super cheap and a stand up guy. I can PM you his number. At any rate, that is what I paid. Remember the carrier and the six dampners. The "complete" wheel does not include that. The ol' bait and switch.

If you have a problem with shipping let me know. I've shipped untold amount of P-car parts back and forth across the pond.

Andy
Old 02-14-2007, 06:08 AM   #105
leesbian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Not sure, Pat has a 304 area code phone number though. Super cheap and a stand up guy. I can PM you his number. At any rate, that is what I paid. Remember the carrier and the six dampners. The "complete" wheel does not include that. The ol' bait and switch.

If you have a problem with shipping let me know. I've shipped untold amount of P-car parts back and forth across the pond.

Andy
OK, can you PM me the number of this guy and I'll call him tonite.

Just to clarify - I need the complete rear wheel, the sprocket carrier, and 6 dampeners?

Also, what size bags are your tank and rear bags? (small or large). Want to get those ordered today.
'00 Ducati 748 Biposto