Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2007, 07:06 AM   #136
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
A DR250SE would also be well worth considering. Its totally bulletproof, phsycially compact, fairly light for a DS (280lbs dry IIRC), 6spd trans, lots of aftermarket support etc.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:52 AM   #137
smokerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Touring on the TW200

Hey guys, thought i would share this link to the thread my Brother in Law put up about a trip we did a few years ago. He was on his KLR650 and i was on his TW200 because my XL350 died right before the trip...

it was a blast and the TW held up fantastic. Starting out on it i wasn't sure how it would be touring on such a small bike but we did 4500 miles in 11 days and though we had some setbacks it was a trip to last a lifetime. enjoy!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205682

"I never knew a man who felt self-important in the morning after spending the night in the open on an Idaho mountainside under a star studded summer sky."
-- Frank Church
smokerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:55 AM   #138
smokerider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
here is a pic from the trip to bait you all!
Attached Images

"I never knew a man who felt self-important in the morning after spending the night in the open on an Idaho mountainside under a star studded summer sky."
-- Frank Church
smokerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:25 AM   #139
motocyco
nOOb

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
This is a great thread. Kudos to all of you. I figure it takes a guy with big huevos to ride a demure steed.....

Hey, I am obviously un-knowledgeable about this class. And I don't want to stir dissension just a question that I'm sure will have opinions. But here goes: What is the lightest 250 that is regarded as "bulletproof" AND is built in such a way that you can carry a lot of gear on it?????
To put the question in spec/outline form, the criteria is:
1. Light Weight.....
2. "Bulletproof" according to realuse testimony....
3. Carries a lot of gear [in stock or near-stock form]

thx! I'm subscribing to this one....
My vote would be for the XT225. It's 238 lbs. (dry weight), I've heard reports of 70,000+ miles (20-30,000 more common), and is rated for 404 lbs. capacity. I love mine, It's not much for highway travel, but I've passed DR650s in the sand, and can easily drag it under low limbs.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #140
Kaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocyco
My vote would be for the XT225. It's 238 lbs. (dry weight), I've heard reports of 70,000+ miles (20-30,000 more common), and is rated for 404 lbs. capacity. I love mine, It's not much for highway travel, but I've passed DR650s in the sand, and can easily drag it under low limbs.
Had a Sherpa two summers ago ... rode a KLR650 last summer ... going back to an '07 Sherpa this year (still being marketed here in Canuckland).

Pros: 161 mi. range (closer to 200 mi. with a 1 L. Sigg bottle in each tank pannier). Can't compare w/Steve's DR200 at 300 mi. range, I know ...
Very capable on the highway when the superslab can't be avoided. Just plain friendly and easygoing everywhere else.
Stainless exhaust looks very cool, IMO.

Con: shim adjustment for valves.

Does the XT225 have screw-locknut valve adjusters (as I believe the DR200 does)?

K eh? LR
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:07 AM   #141
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
A DR250SE would also be well worth considering. Its totally bulletproof, phsycially compact, fairly light for a DS (280lbs dry IIRC), 6spd trans, lots of aftermarket support etc.
I have a DR350SE and it is light years superior to the 200 EXCEPT for the higher seat height and somewhat more complicated. I do prefer the seat height (and a couple other features) of the 200 for MT'ing

Having not seen DR250SE, is the chassis the same as the 350's. I do like my 200 for it's utter simplicity, fantastic mileage, and range but if I come across a 250 would not hesitate to pick one up.

Those UK guys that produced the DVD's Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa (available at www.aerostich.com) did their circumnavigations on DR350's. Cool stuff if you have not seen them.

steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:25 PM   #142
motocyco
nOOb

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaler
Does the XT225 have screw-locknut valve adjusters (as I believe the DR200 does)?
Yes.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #143
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,867
I am very, very tempted to pickup a TW200 after reading this thread. I think it will happen.

I'm also looking at riding the James Bay Road sometime this summer on the KLR. After Labor Day would be fun, but where I work doesn't allow us to take vacation from mid-Aug to mid-Sept.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
'98 DR350 for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1000749
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #144
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface
I am very, very tempted to pickup a TW200 after reading this thread. I think it will happen.

I'm also looking at riding the James Bay Road sometime this summer on the KLR. After Labor Day would be fun, but where I work doesn't allow us to take vacation from mid-Aug to mid-Sept.

John
I work seasonally and have a very slight pause (sometimes not) just after Labor Day weekend. Fortunately, it coincides with the bug/winter window in the Canadian north country. According to Viking September seems to be the best window between the heavy summer bugs and the winter weather patterns that can bring some rather challenging stuff to the region by October.

Take some pics for us.

Kaler;

The Sherpa looks like a great bike. I would expect it's mileage is about the same as the DR200SE's. I've seen a thread regarding larger tanks for the Sherpa, are they available. I'll be fitting a 4 gal Acerbis tank to my DR350SE later in the spring.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #145
MartinDKtm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Scarysharkface or any other, Mail me when you will be going. Im located in Baie-comeau Quebec. Road 389 to Manic 5 - Labrador city is about 5-10km from home (5-10 minute ride). If anyone need an oil change or some tool to tune up or fix I have more than enough in my garage.

Martin
Old 02-20-2007, 02:37 PM   #146
Ian640
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Interesting thread.

As a trials rider I have an interest in trials-derived trailbikes.

I also occasionally do some adventurous trips, so far only on my KTM LC4.

Other current mount is a Beta Alp 200 (http://www.betamotor.com/moto/trail/...p200_main.html) and I've been toying with the idea of using it for a short trip. It has a 199cc Suzuki motor.

However, I've spotted this interesting machine on the website of French manufacturer Scorpa: http://www.scorpa.fr/actualites.php?actu_id=22

I believe it has a motor derived from Yamaha's WR250F.

Don't suppose anyone will make pannier racks for it but I prefer soft luggage anyway. Maybe a bigger tank might appear.

Any opinions?

Cheers.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #147
SIKLR250 OP
NYC

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaler
Gotta love those... not sure that I would own a bike that had bucket/shim adjusters.

SIKLR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #148
Kaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
lil' Zook lookin' better all the time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKLR250
Gotta love those... not sure that I would own a bike that had bucket/shim adjusters.
Just hate the bucket/shim adjusters ... could be a deal-breaker on the Sherpa.

300 mi. per tankful (!) on a DR200 with a higher final drive ... hm, maybe I can live without a 6th gear ...

K eh? LR
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 AM   #149
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian640
Interesting thread.

As a trials rider I have an interest in trials-derived trailbikes.

I also occasionally do some adventurous trips, so far only on my KTM LC4.

Other current mount is a Beta Alp 200 (http://www.betamotor.com/moto/trail/...p200_main.html) and I've been toying with the idea of using it for a short trip. It has a 199cc Suzuki motor.

Any opinions?

Cheers.
Ian;

I also have a Beta Alp (261 cc TR35) but the older 2 stroke trials version that has the tube frame rather than the modern beam. Your 200 Alp uses the same engine as the Suzuki DR200SE which is a fine engine that can easily handle almost anything at it's own pace.

In riding my DR200SE at an RV park I was greatly impressed with the engine's performance in some tight technical stuff (no rocks, just steep climbs with turns) even with the OEM Bridgestones. Enough has been said on my part about the DR200SE as a MT rig here in this thread that I will not repeat but I would think with decent fuel capacity, right final ratio, and a good packing system your Beta should be good to go.

What are your impressions of the Beta package?

steve gs screwed with this post 02-21-2007 at 03:44 AM
Old 02-21-2007, 08:22 AM   #150
montesa_vr
Legend in his own mind

Oddometer: 1,948
Yamaha XT225 vs. TT225

In response to a question Gryphon12 asked me on another thread, the Yamaha XT225 and the TT225 share the same wonderful extremely wide ratio six-speed transmission. I haven't found anything else like it -- much wider than the gear spread on the new Kawasaki 250, wider even than the new Husqvarna TE610 six-speed.

I presume the TT230 also has this transmission, but can't confirm it, because the online PDF owner's manual for the TT230 on Yamaha's web site seems to be corrupted.

The TT250, on the other hand, has a close ratio six speed.

Just so you know.
montesa_vr is offline   Reply With Quote