Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #1501
DieselPutter
n00b

Oddometer: 8
I'm also looking to buy either the dr200se, xt250, or tw200. I've seen both the xt and the tw in person, but not the dr. I'll probably eventually go with the xt, because of its rear disk brakes. the dr is $4700, and the xt $5000, and the tw is ...something less.

I mostly spend my time blasting down dirt roads, and exploring. But occasionally I would like to ride with my family on the highway (Notice I said "occasionally")When I'm alone though, then I'm sure as heck staying off the highway. Back roads are far more rewarding and as far away from traffic as possible. So from this, the tw might even work???...

It all comes down the storage capacity. If I had any one of the 3, they would be loaded down with storage boxes and bags for camping. Which one is best for this kind of deal??? (I'm still leaning towards the xt250)
Old 04-10-2008, 10:02 PM   #1502
NDVR
Ben

Oddometer: 53
my 2cents....

My issues with the lean settings on the xt225 have been resolved, and this week I've had a chance to put it through its paces. I am VERY impressed. It does all that I ask, the most of which is keeping up with traffic. After the pilot screw was adjusted, it will go 60mph no problem, and I've had it up to 65 for a stretch. It felt like it would do 70 in a pinch. Some coworkers were suprised when I told them what speed the xt is comfortable at, and I think one guy is regretting having bought a Sportster.
I can't believe I don't see more people on these small cc bikes, although I'm sure big guys would be more comfortable on bigger bikes.
I also have a beemer, R1100, and while it's fast and comfortable, it's also 513 pounds. It's just not as fun, and when it sells I won't miss it.
NDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #1503
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselPutter
I'm still leaning towards the xt250
I'd go for that one.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #1504
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
I have a 2007 XT225 and I'm about 5'10" and 170. I think its a great bike.I have not done anything with the air screw yet.It does take a while to warm up and run well with no choke, but it also is getting like 85-86 mpg.I'm glad its got a six speed trans.

Jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:13 AM   #1505
Hammock dweller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Operation Serow. A tour of the Normandy beaches

I posted this on XT225.com but thought I'd share it here.

I had the week booked off for a camping trip and decided that as it was really early in the season and the further south I went the better chance I'd have for some warmer weather. I decided to hop over the English Channel and check out the D-Day landing beaches in Normandy. So I loaded up the Serow with a weeks worth of gear.

The trip down to Portsmouth took 4 1/2 hours. I stayed off the motorways and rode down through the Cotswolds, a trip I've done many times before. I used the Fosse way which is a Roman road for some of the journey. It's a fast and not very busy alternative to the main A roads. The weather was good all the way to the port, I arrived around 9pm for the 11pm sailing. The overnight ferry gets you into Le Havre at 8am ready for a full days riding. The port is on the eastern edge of the landing beaches so was an ideal choice.

I travelled west along the coast using the small roads to follow the beaches as I went getting the lay of the land as it were for the following days. I set up camp at the far western exteme of the beaches near a fishing village called Barfleur.

They set out from here in 1066 to invade England and put out poor old harold's eye...

Here's my set up, I'm amazed that the Serow carried all this here. Once again proving it's versitilty.

It was a decent site with a new shower block so I decided to stay for the whole 5 nights here. Somethings were very "French" how about some outside urinals!

But did they have to put them next to the kids play area!

Only in France, ha ha.

Here's a bit of British armour we left behind. It's a Churchill AVRE (Armoured Vehicle Royal Engineer) Not a fighting tank but the huge callibre gun was used for demolition of buildings and bunkers as the Engineers followed behind the front line. (Can you tell I used to be a Tankie in my Army days?)

This is a Bomber Command memorial in a town called Grand Camp Maisy.

On the outskirts of town on the main road is this memorial.

Next I visited Omaha beach. Outside the museum is a Sherman. I introduced him to Serow!

Inside the museum they had a landing craft. I can never get the image from saving private Ryan out of my head of the machinegun bullets hitting the ramp and then it lowering...

Here is the memorial on Omaha beach.

Looking west towards pointe du hoc where the rangers assulted the guns on top of the cliffs.

This is a modern sculpture on Omaha beach, not to my taste but the Words on the plaque ring true.

Here's me outside the Big Red One museum, unfortunately it was too early in the season for it to be open. I had family who served in the 1st Infantry.

Further down Omaha beach is this gun enplacement.

Friday I set out again to visit Arromanches which is east of Omaha and where the British landed on Gold beach. The remains of the huge "Mulbery" harbour can still be seen, well, they're hard to miss really!

There are a long line of them still at sea even after 64 years.

So far the weather had been very kind to me and if not exactly tropical it was pleasantly warm when the clouds cleared and the spring sun shone on me. Saturday started well and I ate breakfast outside my tent in shorts and a t-shirt, it didn't last though and the heavens opened. I put on my gear and headed south hoping for brighter skys. I got drown over the next few hours on my way to visit Le Mont St. Michel.

This Medieval Abbey sits on a rock surrounded by salt marsh. Treacherous at low tide and flooded at high tide. There is a causway to get there but even that floods at high tide. It's well worth reading the notice in the carpark!

The French have a love for motorcycles as almost everyone has had a 50cc scooter, which you can ride at 14 with no insurance or numberplate. This was born out with the priority they give bikes over the disabled on the carpark! ha ha.

When I arrived the rain stopped and slowly the skys cleared.

One thing I wasn't expecting when visiting the Abbey was the amount of blatant consumerism to relieve you of your Euro's. There is even a hotel.

I'm far to wise for all that (read tight) so I took a picnic. I found a lovely spot in a little secluded garden. I had fun feeding the local birds as well as myself.

The rest of the day remained fine, the sun even came out in the evening when I was back at the campsite, perfect, especially as I had a supply of Guinness to go with my chicken in blackbean sauce. my favourite. Helped a little by having 2lbs of strawberries for pudding! God bless my little belly.

Sunday was a bit of a washout. I suppose I should be glad it was fine whilst I had breakfast. I sat in the tent, listened to some tunes and chilled. Around 1pm the rain stopped and there was a bit of snow in the air but it looked like it was clearing up. I ventured out for a couple of hours. It was really cold though. I did find these bunkers before I headed back to my warm sleepingbag.

As you can see they had a pretty good view of the landing beaches.

Monday, my last full day, turned out to be the hottest yet so I"made hay". I went to Utah beach which is to the west of Omaha. There is plenty of american hardware lying around here.

And quite a few memorials to fallen comrades...

Next I went up to pointe du Hoc where the Rangers assulted the cliff top guns. These guns could fire on Utah and Omaha beaches so a concerted effort was made to silence them. The Rangers had to get up there and finish the job. Against all odds they achieved their objective.

The gun emplacements.

Tuesday and time to pack up ready for home. A few degrees of frost on the tent!

And the bike!

But the sun came out and dried everything up nicely and eventually I managed to get everything back onto the bike.

I had 4 hours before the ferry so I sauntered my way on some lovely little back roads. Mmm... when it got to an hour from departure I started to get worried I wasn't going to make it in time. Needless to say I arrived just in time and rode straight onto the boat!

Au revoir France.

I had a wonderful time, good camping, good food and some good weather. What more could you ask.

Edited by Doc250 (09 April, 2008 03:29 PM)
Old 04-11-2008, 07:33 AM   #1506
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Great pics Hammock_dweller, thanks for posting.

On the subject of choosing "little" bikes, one of the big reasons I chose the DR200 over the others was tank size. Jodie's DR200 has a 13l tank, the same size as on my DR650 and with the mileage she gets, that extra capacity is like MY reserve if we ever get too far away from fuel. She can go a LONG way on that 13l.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #1507
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot
From all I can tell a DR250SE is every bit as good as the XT250 and you can get them used for a lot less $$. Also, even though its an older bike there's a lot more aftermarket support because everything that matters is common with the DR350SE The DR250 isn't even straining at 55mph and is quite comfortable at 65mph.

I would love to get a DR250, but I can't find one. I like the bigger feel of the DR250/350, with the taller seat height.
rockt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 AM   #1508
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,838
Thanks for the ride report, Hammock.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #1509
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
I would love to get a DR250, but I can't find one. I like the bigger feel of the DR250/350, with the taller seat height.
Did we ever get the DR250 here in Canada? Could explain the problem finding them.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #1510
Ujow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Motornya Mandi Di Laut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-REDZ
Hello there brothers,

this one is my baby, I've been riding it since 1994 and has trying so many style from original, chopper, jap style, old school till now I turn it into Supermoto vs Dirt Bike coz beside a wide racing tyre, I have a pair of Dirt tyre too at my garage..

I have made some displacement to the engine. I change the piston to 200cc, chams', valve, carb in to 28" and electricity to 12 V.

Been riding all over Indonesia, from road to dirt track circuit, from mountain to the sea.. :)

Keep On Rolling, Brothers!

T-REDZ
(Indonesia)

Naughty Ol' Bike you've got there bro.

Ride On

Ujow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #1511
G-Wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
Operation Serow. A tour of the Normandy beaches

Hammock_Dweller; Great post Bub. I've never been there but regardless, the sentiment expressed in the signage leaves one to ponder. Thanks Bub.
"Excellent, there was a big one coming up ‘Cheap petrol in hell’, that really got me pondering, until I got a little closer and realised the ‘S’ had dropped off the sign advertising the Shell servo in Norseman. Shame really, it was a thought-provoking slogan." - Katie em
G-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:54 AM   #1512
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross
Did we ever get the DR250 here in Canada? Could explain the problem finding them.

I think you're right, Bross. I've never seen one. But I've looked on the net around Michigan and New York state and haven't seen one there either. It would kind of be perfect for what I want, so I keep looking.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #1513
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockt
I think you're right, Bross. I've never seen one. But I've looked on the net around Michigan and New York state and haven't seen one there either. It would kind of be perfect for what I want, so I keep looking.
DR250's come up every so often in Craigslist around here (Albany). They tend to be the older kick-start versions. If you're willing to forego the electric start, you can find a nice bike for not much money at all.
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #1514
rockt
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333
DR250's come up every so often in Craigslist around here (Albany). They tend to be the older kick-start versions. If you're willing to forego the electric start, you can find a nice bike for not much money at all.

At the risk of sounding like a wimp, I need electric start, (injury). I had an XR250L, which I loved, but it hurt me to start it sometimes. That's why I'd like to find an e-start DR250.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:28 PM   #1515
spidennis
SandStorm Adventures

Oddometer: 1,275
nice report hammock dweller, but where's the hammock? I'm about to take my WR250F for a 2k ride on the eastern TAT, and using my hammock as much as possible ..... tx to nj
List of my Spot Tracker Adventures:
http://www.spotadventures.com/user/p...?user_id=53368
spidennis is offline   Reply With Quote