User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #211
Egads1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Inspiration

After looking thru this thread I am inspired to get my Suzuki DS185 back up to road-worhty standards. New rear fender, tail light, clutch, chain and sprockets will put it back on the road. It runs now and is registered and insured and licensed so why not ride it. Thanks guys.
Egads1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #212
Cauldron
Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer: 2,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywombat
i have a 99 klr 250 as my second bike that i want to make more dirt worthy for w/e hacks ... what mods can you guys recomend ? ie sprockets exhaust air box mods ect ect thanks
Go one tooth smaller on the counter sprocket. Get rid of as much weight as possible.

Battery eliminator
After market exhaust
Aluminum bars
Aluminun kick start lever
Get rid of the passenger pegs
Then go nuts.

It is possible to get the cams out of a 250 quad runner. They have a better profile. A different carb with a flat slide would make a big difference too.

After that there ia a big bore kit that takes it over 300 ccs

Any more than that, and you need to trade it in for a 400!

Cauldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #213
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Question Sherpa vs. same vintage KLR250 vs. DR

can someone chime in on this?
I notice that for the same vintage, lets say year 2000 for sake of argument, the KLR250 is about the same weight as the Super Sherpa, but kickstart, and shows a 11:1 comp ratio. What's the diff in the motor sherpa vs. KLR. Are the transmission gear ratios the same? Which would you rather have?

And, at 10 pounds more, the DR350 would be enticing. Again, kickstart, but 6 speed...... how does it compare to the above?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #214
driller
Twist and Go

Oddometer: 1,236
My .02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
can someone chime in on this?
I notice that for the same vintage, lets say year 2000 for sake of argument, the KLR250 is about the same weight as the Super Sherpa, but kickstart, and shows a 11:1 comp ratio. What's the diff in the motor sherpa vs. KLR. Are the transmission gear ratios the same? Which would you rather have?

And, at 10 pounds more, the DR350 would be enticing. Again, kickstart, but 6 speed...... how does it compare to the above?
Zapp, the essential difference between the bikes other than e-start vs. kick is the KLR250 is water cooled and the Sherpa is air cooled. Some think liquid cooled engines are longer lasting.....but I don't really think so from reading many discussions about that. The Sherpa does sit a bit lower than the KLR (both can be lowered for the vertically challenged). There is not much aftermarket stuff for either bike. Maybe a little more for the KLR since it had a longer sales run here in the US than the Sherpa. The KLR has a six speed tranny...Sherpa?? Don't know how the ratios compare.
There are times it would be nice to be able to hit "the button" rather than kick it. The Sherpa does have a rear disc brake, the KLR has a drum.
And.....the Sherpa comes with those pimping cool gold rims!
Finding a Sherpa, due to the limited time it was sold here can be a challenge.
DR350.....a little stronger and longer legged from what I could tell after riding one. Nice bike. I had one with e-start slip away from me last year.
Now, why do I think of ZUNDAPP every time I see your screen handle?
Driller
2011 PCX 125
2006 Fly 150 "BlowFly 200"
driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #215
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
As a side note on the KLR250, I just got back from 2 weeks in Copper Canyon on my DR650. The group was pretty large, and most of us were on 650-class bikes. However there were 3 DRZ400s, a DR350SE (which may be the ideal bike for this kind of trip) and one KLR250, on its original equipment tires. Most of the trip was unpaved, sometimes pretty difficult. Ian had no problems here, and probably did not have to expend as much energy as the rest of us on the tougher roads. On the highway, the smaller KLR gave up very little. Since we were carrying luggage and were geared down for the canyons, most of us cruised at 65-70 indicated. Left to itself, the 250 seemed happier around 60-65, but he could easily up his cruising speed to 70 or a little more if he could catch the draft from a bigger bike.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:54 PM   #216
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz
...........a DR350SE (which may be the ideal bike for this kind of trip).............
I've been researching this bike.
Air cooled, lighter weight, e button, reliable, big tanks and better seats available, can cruise at 70, not thirsty...and some other stuff.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:55 PM   #217
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
I've been researching this bike.
Air cooled, lighter weight, e button, reliable, big tanks and better seats available, can cruise at 70, not thirsty...and some other stuff.
It may be too big and too competent to qualify as 'minimalist'. I have an off-road 350, and if I came across an SE at a decent price, I'd buy it in a minute.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:53 PM   #218
DavidW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Hello to the group , I've been reading the thread post with much interest.

A little about myself. I started riding in 1979 on a Honda CX500 , later a BMW K75T then a K75RT. Which I have ridden from my home in WV to Me, NC outer banks , Miss, Yellow Stone, Mi u.p. , and many places in between.

I had never ridden a dirt bike of any type until getting a Gasgas 200 triasl bike about 2.5 years ago. Been thinking about getting a Yamaha XT225 for several months. Probably should have dropped in to the local dealer a couple of weekends back when it it was cold and snowy all day, they still have one one the floor. Would likely have already gotten one if Yamaha offered the XT250 Serow model here that they sell in Japan. But - that may never happen, so for now, just thinking about them and keeping an eye out for a used one to turn up locally.

You asked for links to small bike touring web sites. I thought I'd post a few links to a web page I came across today . I think what is minimalist touring is viewed differently in different cultures as the links below show. It is a web page of two guys from India who plan to rtw on two 150 cc TVS Apache motorcycles. They say their equipment consist of two motorcycles, notebook and pen, cameras, and all worldly possessions in their pannier bags. With camping gear for when in open country. They say that while a 150cc bike is small by world standards in India it is considered a big bike and is therefore macho. I think they meet the definition of minimalist tourers in equipment and attitude. fwiw here are a few links to their web pages:

http://www.borderlessbikers.com/tourphil.html
http://www.borderlessbikers.com/imag...e/apache-2.jpg
http://www.borderlessbikers.com/apache.html
http://www.borderlessbikers.com/currentstatus.html

They left Dec '06 , have made it through India and Nepal. Their stated plans are to ride S.E. Asia first followed by Siberia , to Scandavia , to S.America. A Big goal for such a model as they've chosen.

As for checking bias and egos. Click the wall paper for the 200cc Bajaj Pulsar DTS-i ( dual twin spark ignition) on the link below . About mid page. You'll see it is marketed as "Definitely Male" - so no beginners girls bike label there. : - )

http://indian2wheels.blogspot.com/index.html

( I'd have posted the direct link but the url was quit long and I thought it might not work) and besides there are some other interesting links on that page too. Including a funny video of why bikes sound like their brand names.

Best regards,

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKLR250
Welcome to the Minimalist Touring Thread: ... It would be great if we could also compile a list .., links to web sites and other information sources for minimalist touring.

..., so check your bias and ego at the door and let's get on with the ride.

Please introduce yourself and tell us about your bike and your travels.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR200, KL250 (Super Sherpa) KLR250, KLX250, TTR230, XT225, TW200, XL250, vintage thumpers
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 AM   #219
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
It may be too big and too competent to qualify as 'minimalist'. I have an off-road 350, and if I came across an SE at a decent price, I'd buy it in a minute.
Having experience with 200SE and 350SE model you are right, the DR250/350SE models of the 1990's are a quantum leap from the 200.

David;

Welcome, we have many Yammie riders here. I also have a K75C myself but prefer the smaller thumpers now. The only purpose my larger bikes serve is when my time window is too small to enjoy the journey, meaning I must just get there. Those situations are becoming fewer (priority shift) as I travel with my MT rig.

steve gs screwed with this post 03-05-2007 at 03:33 PM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:40 AM   #220
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Quote:
is there any reason to NOT like the kickstart street legal version? I think this was the SL .... but I"m not an expert.

Two things come to mind, having ridden my DRZ quite a bit. For some reason, the DRZ "E"'s very fine hare-scramble suspension is not so fine on asphalt. I would love for someone to 'splain this to me. the front feels like it can never settle down.... sort of NOT-planted. my BRP is the opposite, feeling very scrambler-like sailing along gnarly paved roads, even without a dampner and brace. The DRZ is only as good as its battery, and I can't count the number of times I've used my trickle-charger. I've had to jump it off a car a dozen times or so. Repeat: the bike is ONLY as good as its battery. Then, you gotta protect those fragile radiators. Mine are protected. The plastic side covers, along with the somewhat tall front end, when you're doing 50mph and above gives you quite a sail. I"ll bet the air-cooled model does not suffer from this.

your thoughts?
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #221
Kaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
DR pic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
The only purpose my larger bikes serve is when my time window is too small to enjoy the journey, meaning I must just get there. Those situations are becoming fewer (priority shift) as I travel with my MT rig.
Steve,

Would luv to see a pic or three of your DR200 in MT mode.

K eh? LR
Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #222
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaler
Steve,

Would luv to see a pic or three of your DR200 in MT mode.

K eh? LR
Sent you a PM. You did see the pannier pics?

I will add here that last year was the "sort out" year for the 200; in other words could I make it work for me. I rode the 200 all over mostly to see if I could acclimate myself to a 45mph cruise (I'd consider selling my soul for a 6th) and to see how I could manage faster/more aggressive traffic and not become a hood ornament.

My F650GSD was the steed of choice in the past but I had become increasingly uncomfortable dealing with a 430 lb bike (unloaded) in the backcountry, one mudhole and I would be walking out because it was just too big and too heavy to manage. Just too much of everything, something had to change.

Will take and post some pics once out of winter den.

I think we have old man winter on the run now.

Old 03-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #223
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22
is there any reason to NOT like the kickstart street legal version? I think this was the SL .... but I"m not an expert.
Breif history of middle weight DR's.

The 350 was introduced in 90 or 91 IIRC, it was available in a DR350 and DR350S versions. The 'S model was the street legal one of course. Motor internals, frame and chassis were identical. The S version got the usual street gear, a CV carb (in place of a nice pumper carb on the dirt model) and slightly different suspension.

A 250cc version of each was also released. These were identical to their 350cc counterparts with the exception of bore and stroke. Rather than a 79x71 bore/stroke it got a 73x59.6mm bore/stroke. To accommodate the changes it got a matching head, cam, CDI, flywheel, smaller valves, lower primary gear ratio and more compression. Externally the bikes the same except for the displacement number cast onto the side of the cylinder.

In about '94 the SE model was released. It had the addition of e-start and auto-decomp. This of course added more weight. No other major changes were made. About that time the dirt model got cartridge forks and the auto decomp.

In the late 90's the dirt model got new, gold low-underhange cartridge forks which eventually found their way to the SE as well.

All E-start DR's have a place to fit a kick-starter. All that is required is the starter, shaft and associated gears/springs. The parts are not very expensive, but the bikes start quickly and easily and its not obvious that there would be much call for a kick starter.

All of these bikes were air cooled, had 6spd gearboxes and were very well balanced. Minimal vibrations, very under-stressed motor. They last just about forever and run quite cool even without oil coolers in stock form. One guy on TT had 143k miles and counting on his DR350 with no major engine work.

I currently have a 94 DR250SE running and am putting together a 96 DR350SE.

The 250SE will comfortably cruise at 60-65mph with stock gearing. +1 on the front sprocket and it will comfortably cruise at 70mph. It will go a bit faster, but its reving pretty high and gets a little buzzy over 6k rpm. I averaged 76mpg riding mine home from ny (400 miles). I averaged 67mpg commuting at 70-75mph on the freeway with the carb set a bit rich. Temps were below freezing which also hurt the mileage a bit.

All this is from memory and could be a tad bit off, but ya get the general idea. These DR's are not race bikes by any means, but they are very excellent dual sport bikes. Quite capable of extended highway cruising if need be, very comfortable riding back roads all day and still quite manageable in the dirt. Absolutely no reason I can think of not to tour on one.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #224
Kaler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Found the pannier pics.
Don't remember seeing them before. Doesn't mean I didn't ... just don't remember.

Like you, Steve, part of the MT allure is my growing aversion to those deep-woods-mudhole crises. One very hot, mosquito-heavy day last summer I buried the KLR650 in mud and couldn't get it out. The 3-hr walk out was almost too much for the ol' bod.

It's not that I dislike the occasional mud ride, I just don't want it to be a near-death experience.

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Sent you a PM. You did see the pannier pics?

I will add here that last year was the "sort out" year for the 200; in other words could I make it work for me. I rode the 200 all over mostly to see if I could acclimate myself to a 45mph cruise (I'd consider selling my soul for a 6th) and to see how I could manage faster/more aggressive traffic and not become a hood ornament.

My F650GSD was the steed of choice in the past but I had become increasingly uncomfortable dealing with a 430 lb bike (unloaded) in the backcountry, one mudhole and I would be walking out because it was just too big and too heavy to manage. Just too much of everything, something had to change.

Will take and post some pics once out of winter den.

I think we have old man winter on the run now.

Kaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:14 PM   #225
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaler

Like you, Steve, part of the MT allure is my growing aversion to those deep-woods-mudhole crises. One very hot, mosquito-heavy day last summer I buried the KLR650 in mud and couldn't get it out. The 3-hr walk out was almost too much for the ol' bod.

K
My biggest gripe about the F650GSD beyond the too much of everything issue is the layout. The battery is buried, the fuel tank is buried, the electrical is buried; the engineers should have been buried. I could go on about a few things but will conclude by adding I design systems for a living and serviceability is a key issue in my priorities. I have little patience with those trying to put 10lbs of in a 2lb bag. My rant is done.

Ok, now that BikePilot and others have let the cat out of the bag I'll have to admit that IMO the DR250/350SE series of machines is one of the best packages available for the MT and MT+ rider (I'll let you Yammie, Kaw, Honda, and others plead your own cases )

My DR350SE is a touch tall (about the same as my F650GSD) but weighs 130 lbs less. I feel it gives up nothing to my 650 and exceeds it in several areas. There is reasonable aftermarket support with pannier systems, larger fuel tanks, and various performance goodies. It may not be an ultimate trail blaster but we are looking for greater utility than that. When riders jumped to the new 400 many of these were orphaned, thanks guys it was just what I wanted (I got my 6 spd). Mine is in the process of being fitted out to replace my 650 when done as my MT+ rig (say goodbye to the Clydesdale and hello to the express pony).

Though the DR250/350SE series is superior to the DR200SE the 200 offers a minimalist engineering simplicity that defines transportation basics. Isn't that what brought most of us here? Small bikes are less intrusive to the senses and require less input, almost like a more natural extension of oneself.