User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 AM   #3631
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Not SlimJim but...

Lifan, chinese scoot. But okay for the price.

http://www.americanlifan.com/lifan4/200gy-5.html
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 AM   #3632
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmotogear

Looks as though you're getting your moneys worth out of it.

Nice pics.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #3633
slimjim503
n00b

Oddometer: 5
yes its a lifan i payed 1500 shiped to my house i have 10600mi so far and its still going for the money its good i think
slimjim503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #3634
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,684
Mine just turned over 24,000 and has never missed a beat. They're not as refined as the Japanese bikes but they are reliable. A great option for those of us who don't want to spend a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjim503
yes its a lifan i payed 1500 shiped to my house i have 10600mi so far and its still going for the money its good i think
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #3635
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Is it a Honda clone? I had the impression it was derived from the XR200, which would give it good genes if the metallurgy is halfway decent. But yours looks like it has an electric starter, which was never an XR200 feature.

Lifan is reputed to be one of the better Chinese manufacturers. There are accounts on advrider (don't ask me where) of guys doing big tours in unlikely places on the 200GY. Ten years from now, we will probably all be riding Lifan.

judjonzz screwed with this post 10-26-2010 at 03:36 PM
judjonzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #3636
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

I don't think it's based on the XR200 engine. The Lifan engine used on these bikes is OHV with short push rods, cam along side the cylinder, upper and lower rockers. They have electric and kick start and mine also has a balance shaft. They also make a OHC 200 single which is used on some of their other bikes.

If Lifan can get their sales and parts infrastructure worked out they'll do well in the US, but that remains to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judjonzz
Is it a Honda clone? I had the impression it was derived from the XR200, which would give it good genes if the metallurgy is halfway decent. But yours looks like it has an electric starter, which was never an XR200 feature.

Lifan is reputed to be one of the better Chinese manufacturers. There are accounts on advrider (don't ask me where) of guys doing big tours in unlikely places on the 200GY. Ten years from now, we will probably all be riding Lifan.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #3637
shoco
Not So Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
"i payed 1500 shiped to my house i have 10600mi so far and its still going" --

"for the money its good i think"

You can say that again!
shoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:01 AM   #3638
mikesova
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by driller
A "new to me" '04 Ninja250 came to live at my house last week.
Thursday, I decided to take a couple of days to go off and bond with the bike.
Destination was Murphy, NC to meet friends gathered for a dual sport ride (my Sherpa went home with a new owner Monday... ) so obviously there would be no beating around the woods for me.
Heading West on SC 11 past Table Rock.....

A little bit of coffee and loitering along the way....

Heading up to the high country through Cashers and Highlands and then on to Dillard, Ga. rewarded me with lunch at The Dillard House Restaurant. Far too much food for a body, but I was willing to hurt myself!
Sorry, no gratuitous food shot.

I reached Murphy after many miles and curves...did I mention many smiles as well. I'm liking this little bike!
Spent the night with some of the riding crew up Joe Brown highway and had some good fellowship.
The next morning it was off to the Cherohala Skyway and Deal's Gap!

Clear skies and cool temps made for an ideal riding day. The colors in the mountains were mighty fine.

Mighty fine indeed!

After a visit with Mike at Tellico Outfitters and some ice cream, it was time to see what was happening over at The Dragon.
I have to say, of several trips over this road, this one was my worst effort. Somehow, I got all spazzed up and couldn't keep my momentum and gear changes in synch with the road. Especially frustrating since the last trip in the spring was on my Sherpa and I felt like I nailed it both ways. After awhile with a herd of bikes backing up behind me, it was time to pull over and re set.
Not a bad spot for contemplating my situation......

After a drink and getting my stickers, it was time for the traditional photo in front of the Dragon sign......

Heading home I took one last look down on the Hellbender...

The original plan was to take a section of the Blue Ridge Parkway towards home. As the shadows were getting long I decided to take the highway instead. Just didn't want to be up there at dusk/dark since Bambi and friends like to come out than.
Heading towards Asheville in the twilight provided a memorable image. The full moon was rising over the mountain peaks which were turning a purple/mauve color in the fading light. Wish I could have captured it with a photo, but no way would my little camera see what my eyes were seeing.

Arriving home after a total of 520 miles with a huge grin on my face, I parked my little 2fiddy, gave it a pat and said "we must do this again".

This next phase in my riding quarter liter bikes is off to a good start.
I acquired a New to me '04 Ninjette this year too. I love the damn thing.

For Sale: 2004 Husqvarna TE510 (Michigan)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 AM   #3639
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
My daughter has a very nice '99 Ninjette. I ride it more than she does. I only wish it had long travel suspension, and I always thought that the ninja 250 (and 500) engines would be well served in a KX or CR chassis.
The little Ninjette carried me (210 lbs) from central MA to CT at an indicated 90mph+ easier than my DR650 could. They are amazing little bikes!
Old 10-27-2010, 04:34 PM   #3640
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Lifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmotogear

What is the seat height? Couldn't find that on the web site. Anyone?
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:49 PM   #3641
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

I've sat on a couple and was not flat footed IIRC with a 31" inseam but I would be guessing at the actual seat height.
Old 10-27-2010, 05:02 PM   #3642
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

I have the seat height listed at 34".

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie
What is the seat height? Couldn't find that on the web site. Anyone?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #3643
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
seat height

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth
I have the seat height listed at 34".
Thanks.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:52 AM   #3644
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,201
Cool.

CBR250R for USA Market

After almost 20 years of being absent in the USA 250cc sportbike market, American Honda is coming back with the aggressively styled liquid-cooled CBR250R and CBR250R ABS. Although pricing hasn’t been released, there are plenty of details that may make Kawasaki — makers of the outstanding $3999 Ninja 250R — nervous about its USA sales (which have been tremendous).
The new CBR is clearly aimed at the smallest Ninja. The motor is a 249cc, liquid-cooled, four-valve dual-overhead-cam Single, smoothed out and sophisticated with fuel-injection and a counterbalancer. The frame appears to be tubular steel, and the bodywork — love it or hate it — seems heavily influenced by the controversial new VFR1200. Wheels are 17-inchers, shod with radial tires (the back tire, a 140/70-17, is 10mm wider than the Ninja’s), and braking is handled with a two-piston caliper and 296mm disc in front. ABS is available. Seat height is .4 inches higher than the Ninja’s at 30.9 inches, but the seat looks very narrow at the front, negating that difference. Curb weight is a claimed 359 pounds, 15 pounds lighter than the 250R (add 9 pounds for ABS). Tank size is smaller than the Ninja’s 4.8 gallons at 3.4 gallons of dino-milk, but I’m guessing the FI Single might best the parallel-twin Ninja on range thanks to better fuel economy.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #3645
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

As stated in another thread. I think the CBR 250 will be a fantastic commuter bike.