Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #31
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcam
I've been thinking about replacing my ancient GT500 smoker with one of these teeny ninjas. It has about the same power and a whole lot less weight! It also would be much less offensive to people...
Grew up on a pair of RD350's and a Kaw 400 triple myself, still have soft spot for the old strokers and the last generation as well, great bikes. Though dated by modern standards here's your GT 500's grandson, my Suzuki RGV250 (currently undergoing restoration about 1.5 years to go). Nothing wrong with 2 stroke MT bikes, check out Nigel Marx's words on topic www.horizonsunlimited.com. We have a KE100 that with a Wolfman Mini-Beta and a tankbag would be a fun MT rig though smaller than my DR200SE and would require frequent breaks for circulation restoration.
Attached Images

steve gs screwed with this post 02-05-2007 at 06:21 PM
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #32
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve gs
Grew up on a pair of RD350's and a Kaw 400 triple myself, still have soft spot for the old strokers and the last generation as well, great bikes. Though dated by modern standards here's your GT 500's grandson, my Suzuki RGV250 (currently undergoing restoration about 1.5 years to go). Nothing wrong with 2 stroke MT bikes, check out Nigel Marx's words on topic www.horizonsunlimited.com. We have a KE100 that with a Wolfman Mini-Beta and a tankbag would be a fun MT rig though smaller than my DR200SE and would require frequent breaks for circulation restoration.
Oh, be still my beating heart. I've always wanted something like that RGV. A guy in my town had an NSR250 and I fell in love. I had an RD350 for a while, and it was way faster than the Suzy 500, at least if felt like it was! But being realistic, I'll probably end up getting either the baby Ninja, or an XT225/DR200.

I need to look into the differences between the XT and the DR. I see the XT has a six speed while the DR has five. Anybody ever ridden both to give us a good comparison?
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #33
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddlejumper
Hi, everybody.

TheOtherBart, here's and idea for you on a cheap camping stove.
You need the following:
1 empty cat food can.
some cardboard.
1 box of canning wax.

cut the cardboard into a long strip with the width equal to the height of the inside of the can.

role the cardboard up so it fits snugly into the can.

melt the wax and pour slowly onto the cardboard so it soaks in. Continue pouring till the wax is just below the top of the cardboard.

The paper acts as a candle wick.
they usually burn for around 6 to 8 hours, are waterproof and take up little space.

BeSafe.
I'm going to the grocery tonight and I'm adding canning wax to my list. Thanks for the idea!
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #34
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by notarex
Introducing the pepsi can stove...google it...it's really neat
I'll do that too, thanks!
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:02 PM   #35
Mojave Monster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Go lite, go fast, go have fun... just go! You never know what you will find unless you go look! You never know what you will find over that next hill, might just find yourself??
Mojave Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #36
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
Another benefit to having a really light, smallish bike is that you can slide it under that barb wire fence to get to where you (but the Feds don't want you to) -go.

My Dad's Honda Trail 90 was great for that kinda thing

Chip
Old 02-05-2007, 07:20 PM   #37
steve gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Quote:
But being realistic, I'll probably end up getting either the baby Ninja, or an XT225/DR200.

I need to look into the differences between the XT and the DR. I see the XT has a six speed while the DR has five. Anybody ever ridden both to give us a good comparison?
Depending on the flavor you choose, a point regarding the Ninja 250 is touring accessories (racks) are zilch; you will have use a "U" rear bag like a Mini-Beta or similar. The Ninja can run all day at 50-70 mph and deliver mileage in the 70-80's with a 15:42 final (not OEM). With OEM seat the seat height to pegs is way too short even for me with a 30" inseam. I find the thumpers much more comfortable (even the KE 100 is better ). Plus there is better MT support for the thumpers. Don't forget the 90's era Suzuki DR250SE (same basic platform as 350 (I think?)though not as common).
Check out www.loisontheloose.com, she was on the Yammie.
steve gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:28 PM   #38
SIKLR250 OP
NYC

Oddometer: 507
Pepsi - G stove

Here are some instructions for the larger Pepsi - G stove:

http://www.pcthiker.com/pages/gear/o...siGstove.shtml

The 'G' is for Guinness.

SIKLR250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:26 PM   #39
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,686
Quote:
Oh, be still my beating heart. I've always wanted something like that RGV. A guy in my town had an NSR250 and I fell in love. I had an RD350 for a while, and it was way faster than the Suzy 500, at least if felt like it was! But being realistic, I'll probably end up getting either the baby Ninja, or an XT225/DR200.

I've ridden both bikes extensively. I think the XT225 is a slightly better bike because of the bigger engine and 6th gear. On the other hand, the gas tank is much larger on the DR200, so its range is phenomenal. Both bikes have been extremely reliable.

I actually own a DR200. My brother has the XT225. I am not considering an XT225 because the differences between the two bikes are just too small to matter. I've got five bikes out in the garage, and most often, the DR200 is the one I grab to zip somewhere.

I think I get more smiles to the gallon on the DR200 than any other bike I've ever owned. You end up doing things like dragging it under partially fallen trees, zipping down sidewalks, hopping railway tracks, etc.

Klay screwed with this post 02-05-2007 at 11:10 PM
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #40
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
A few years back, I took some short trips on my MZ TS250, overnights , no camping gear. One of those, a Puch split single or a Jawa Californian (a 350, but slower than a modern 250) make for some nice relaxed sightseeing. A buddy likes to do the same kind of trip on his 250 Morini.

Jeff Ecker still likes to ride his Sears Puch to BMW rallies. A couple of his accounts are at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/searspuch/files/

Sorry, you probably have to have a Yahoo ID to get at them.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #41
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:

I forgot to say, the baby Ninja is a good machine, but it is absolutely outshadowed by the Hyosung Comet GT250. The fit and finish on the Hyosung seems to be superior, and the engine is even more impressive. The engine runs like sewing machine and really has good perceived power. You find yourself asking, "Is this really a 250?" I had the pleasure of test riding one last summer.

You can get a new one for around $2000 if you can find an unsold 2005 or 2006. I saw a brand new one on ebay last week in Pennsylvania that sold for around $1500. But then of course you'd have to contend with the almost non-existant dealer network once you got the machine. Still, the machine amazed me when I test rode it. (maybe Hyosung was able to do well with it because they are involved in producing SV650's)
Old 02-06-2007, 03:34 AM   #42
vintagecycle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I think long distance touring on a Ninja 250 would be great.

For several years now, I've also had this strange fantasy to find a clean KE100 and do a cross country trip on secondary roads (as this is the only place the little KE could do posted speed limits...)
Now that I've been living in Kalifornia for the last three or so years, finding a good, clean (and legal) KE100 will be impossible...
vintagecycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:30 AM   #43
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay
I forgot to say, the baby Ninja is a good machine, but it is absolutely outshadowed by the Hyosung Comet GT250. The fit and finish on the Hyosung seems to be superior, and the engine is even more impressive. The engine runs like sewing machine and really has good perceived power. You find yourself asking, "Is this really a 250?" I had the pleasure of test riding one last summer.

You can get a new one for around $2000 if you can find an unsold 2005 or 2006. I saw a brand new one on ebay last week in Pennsylvania that sold for around $1500. But then of course you'd have to contend with the almost non-existant dealer network once you got the machine. Still, the machine amazed me when I test rode it. (maybe Hyosung was able to do well with it because they are involved in producing SV650's)
I didn't know Hyosung made a 250. I've seen a 650, and was pretty impressed as I had pre-conceived notions of it being a complete POS. Thanks for the idea, I'll have to look into it.
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #44
dminded
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 167
250 ninja. run about 100 mph 3200 u.s. out the door and I believe 1 placed 12th in the ironbutt rally last year. Oh did I mention it gets around 70mpg.
Yes you can tour anywhere on a 250 or smaller. As soon as the wife leaves me alone for a week she'll come back and find one of these in the garage next to the klr.
dminded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:13 AM   #45
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dminded
250 ninja. run about 100 mph 3200 u.s. out the door and I believe 1 placed 12th in the ironbutt rally last year. Oh did I mention it gets around 70mpg.
Yes you can tour anywhere on a 250 or smaller. As soon as the wife leaves me alone for a week she'll come back and find one of these in the garage next to the klr.
+1