Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #4831
R-A-M-O-N
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by leandrorr View Post
Please, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhKnqdc1upE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_fCPZ4wpN8 you will fall in love if XTZ 250 hehehe
Thats what i mean, you can have a 250cc bike capable of traveling on bad roads and still have a comfortable seat and a big tank

Thanks for the vids im totally sold now waiting that they would come some day, i asked yamaha but they "cant confirm"
R-A-M-O-N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #4832
Seavoyage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Any recommendations for luggage using the stock DR250 subframe (avoiding the extra weight of a rear rack/pannier frame installation)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seavoyage View Post
I've been planning on setting up a DS bike for the upcoming Sheetiron 300. My criteria was K.I.S.S. on technology: pretty much bulletproof - low maintenance (read agricultural); and at a budget where I could just flog the bitch without crying in my beer.

I got lucky earlier this week and picked up an operating 'junked' Suzuki DR250 listed on Craigslist for $250! That's less than the price of the set of Heidenau K60 Scout tires I just threw on the Tiger. The frame number (DR350) and engine (DR250) with a pumper carb did not match, and the seller did not have a title. I did some research on the VIN and tracked down the original owner up in Redding, who filed the 'junked' status in 2003 with DMV. I spent the last 48-hrs. getting the bits to make her street legal, tune her up, setup the suspension, and correct the factory issues. Today, DMV granted dual-registration: CA street plates plus Green Sticker! The registration fees almost cost as much as the bike.

'As Is' Highlights:
  • Pumper carb with Jesse Kientz jetting and air screw (137.5 Main, 40 Idle; Needle on 4th notch)
  • Supertrapp muffler (8 discs)
  • Airbox top-cut out. Uni-filter
  • RMX front forks with DR650 triple clamp
  • Maxxis MaxxiCross IT tires
  • MotionPro CR Competition throttle
  • Scotts shifter and chain guide
Installed to meet DMV requirements::
  • Moose Racing Road Warrior Headlight
  • Baja Designs Turn Signals; OEM flasher relay
  • Tusk MX D-Flex MC handguards with integrated signal lights
  • Tusk Wiring Harness
  • Tusk Nissin hydraulic brake switch
  • Acerbis Dual Sport Tail Light
  • Acerbis rear view mirror
  • OEM Horn, Rear brake switches, Neutral switch
  • OEM Speedometer/Tachometer/Odometer, Indicator lamps, Speedo cable (Pending conversion to TrailTech)
  • OEM Signal/Horn/Light Switches; Engine On/Off switch; Keyed ignition switch.
  • Kenda Trackmaster II DOT tires
Installed accessories:
  • Scott Hurricane MX Grips
  • Day Star '69' Series Fork Boots
  • Maier Side Panels
  • Acerbis 4.25 Gal Fuel Tank
  • UFO Front Fender ('06 RM250)
  • Moose Racing Aluminum Handguards with Competition Handguard Protectors
  • Moose Racing Trophy Roll Chart Holder
  • Moose Racing Pro Shark Fin rear disc guard
Need ADV inmate's recommendations on:

• front disc protector,
  • seat cover
  • soft luggage. I'm want to avoid hard luggage,and the Moose Racing Expedition Rear rack. The Giant Loop Coyote saddleback look doesn't appeal to me. Any experience with the Chase Harper B-Alaska, T-bags Falcon, Gears Navigator tail bag?
Seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:44 AM   #4833
leandrorr
leandrorr

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-A-M-O-N View Post
Thats what i mean, you can have a 250cc bike capable of traveling on bad roads and still have a comfortable seat and a big tank

Thanks for the vids im totally sold now waiting that they would come some day, i asked yamaha but they "cant confirm"
Ramon, i think the Yamaha Argentina will sell Tenere 250cc, Lander was sold first here in Brazil, after in other countries. Let's wait.
leandrorr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #4834
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
I think the TW200 does really well....has lots of carrying capacity.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #4835
drtaco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtaco View Post
if you are talking about the dr200se, last year i called around finally got a dealer to look on computer and found 3 in VA one in alex., one in cumberland, one in norfolk which i bought 2009dr200se with 1mile on odmeter
i'm sorry that should be culpeper (how ever you spell it)

WOW!! leandrorr awesome videos
drtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:15 PM   #4836
MiniCogs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
A 400/450cc Tenere would be a nice bike....
You hear me Mr Yamaha...
I agree!!!

Yamaha TW 200
Yamaha FZ6
MiniCogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #4837
Colbycheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seavoyage View Post
Any recommendations for luggage using the stock DR250 subframe (avoiding the extra weight of a rear rack/pannier frame installation)?
I went with these for my dr350 basically the same bike.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #4838
amtz.zero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
There are a lot of them out there used with under a thousand miles on them.
+1, very true.

My wife bought hers last year, it was an '07 with only 1800 miles but there are quite a few on CL that are around the same age with only 500-800 miles on them. Not even broken in yet!
amtz.zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #4839
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 593
Here's my DR200 setup for touring:

godwinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #4840
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
As with most things, it seems compromise is what we often have to settle for. I've done extended tours on my Helix, the TW200 and in addition to keeping those rides going, now want to do the same with my GT250R Hyosung. Last summer I had it loaded with soft bags, the MotoFizz and tank bag and was in fat city. Heading to the local BMW Rally (hey, the Hyo is black and I wasn't sure they'd notice it wasn't German) I stopped for gas and smelled a very bad smell. Not only had the soft bag settled onto the very high pipe, but the tent that was on the bottom fared even worse. Turned around, headed for home, expanded the Fizz on both ends, stuffed the other tent in, unloaded some stuff and headed out again.

This winter I came up with a design to build a luggage rack, replacing the passenger seat (will never be used). 16" wide, it not only supports the Fizz bag much better, but from early indications, looks like it will keep the patched soft bags high enough to stay unmolten. The solid section closely resembles the OEM seat. After making racks for both my Pacific Coast and ST2 out of anodized aluminum, decided to go with Delrin (acetal) this time as an experiment. Very happy with the fit and function and now I can not only Sport Tour, I can Camp Tour as well. I love riding the little bugger and didn't want to save it only for day rides.

I spend lots of time on gravel with the other ones and will most likely avoid most of that with the Hyo, but the large gas tank, excellent mileage and for-its-size torque, make backroading tons of fun.

-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #4841
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,675
Hey, feel free to write more about your Hyosung GT250. I've followed those since I first saw one some years back in Seattle. Cool motorcycle. I know the 650 and 250 v-twins had some problems with valves hitting pistons in the early models.

jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #4842
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,653
I've ridden a Comet GT250. The engine is a jewel...extremely smooth and quiet. The GT250 is a completely competent road bike.

windigo

Klay screwed with this post 03-25-2012 at 07:19 PM
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 AM   #4843
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
One of my friends had an older GT250 at Saturday morning coffee's up in Mpls and I always admired it, liked the concept of the little V-Twin and have been watching for used ones. Every once in awhile the Comet models would come up but I never saw the sportbike version. A local scooter dealer took the Hyo line on and at their spring open house, as an introduction, had sale prices I couldn't ignore. I went in to look at the new scooters and walked out with the keys to the GT250R, my first new machine in 30 years. I'd have settled for a carbureted version, but this EFI runs like a clock.

There's a very good chance we'll be at May's Slimey Crud.
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #4844
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Here's my DR200 setup for touring:

Very nice and simple setup. Tell me, do you ever bump into your rear topcase while maneuvering offroad?

Or anyone for that matter I guess
Old 03-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #4845
grubbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshito View Post
I had a wee strom before my XT, with a seat height of 32.3", I was tip toing. The WR has a 36.6" seat height... I need more than 2.5" of lowering.

I use my bike for commuting to work, in city traffic. So I have to be able to get my foot down comfortably, because in stop and go traffic you do it a lot. And having to slide your butt on the side to be able to put only one foot down is not what I call comfortable. When you suddenly get your foot in a pothole, or slipping in a puddle of oily water, you're glad that you can flat foot on both sides to keep the bike upright.

Anyway for now I'm happy with my XT250, I just wish it would have a little more power on the highway. Not to go faster, only to be able to maintain my speed when going uphill fully loaded with camping gear. I'm a "60mph take the time to enjoy the scenery" kind of guy
You can get the WR down that low. The lowering link goes 2 inches, stock lowering is over 1/2 inch. But,....a 250 loaded down with gear, is still a 250 loaded down with gear. The WR will slow down on hills just as the XT will. I have geared mine down which helped a lot, but I rev pretty high at highway speed. If you havent done it yet, opening up your exhaust and doing the airbox mod makes a big difference to the torque (not top speed) of the XT. Another plus for the XT is the gas mileage, WAY better than the WR. From what you have been saying, seems to me like you have exactly the bike you need for the way you ride.