Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #5266
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garak View Post
Well, I've been following this thread since it started (before I was an inmate even) and figured I'd finally subscribe. I inadvertently turned my DR650 into a project bike last weekend and am seriously considering a TW200 for my next faithful companion. I've been jonesing for a small bike since I met Klay on my last big adventure and have always been a fan of TWs. Anyway, nothing to contribute at the moment, just thought I'd say hi!
Know what you mean,I have had my TW for alittle over a year now...............great bike!.Incredible what that 196cc engine can do on road and off..........and yes,the smaller engines tend to like the rpm's alot more than being babied!.The engineers who designed the TW's short stroke engine ( feet per minute of the piston) was well designed and geared.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #5267
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo View Post
Nice report Rey. Looks like you packed everything you needed and then some. I'm hoping to do part of Washington's WABDR and you inspire me to get it done with my CRF230L.

Lets go giterdun!

Rey.
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:35 AM   #5268
cbig
Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer: 875
recently bought this cherry xr250r

I'm a big time xr fan. (Have a xr400 and xr600) Bought this for my teenage daughter. She no likey- no electric start. What's a dad to do? Yep! Keep it n ride it! The bike had probably less than 300 miles on it, street legal 2002. Came out of a time warp 2002. I put a aftermarket seat, mt43 on it (back tire original and starting to crack) and proceeded to put over 1000 miles on it primarily off road. It's done the nastiest single track, rock scrambles and even some tough hill climbs I was surprised I could pull! I did need to watch my line better because i didn't have power to solve problems though. Also was really impressed in Mammoth on the trails and fire roads...hung tough with faster bikes! All that and 70+ MPG!! ?! Probably one of the best bikes around below 50 mph.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #5269
ADVNCW
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo View Post
Nice report Rey. Looks like you packed everything you needed and then some. I'm hoping to do part of Washington's WABDR and you inspire me to get it done with my CRF230L.
Yes, inspring. Great to read that Rey rode singletrack- I did the same, quite a bit and camped on a peak with my 230L fuly loaded with my cmp.

I will be doing the WABCDR at the end of August/ first of Sept on my CRF230L. I have the TCI windshield, rack on front with a 1.5 gal Kolpin, Giant Loop Great Basin and a dry bag. Suspension set on the stiffest, 15 w in the forks. Seat Concept seat. Nice little ride.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 08-07-2012 at 02:57 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #5270
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Yes, inspring. Great to read that Rey rode singletrack- I did the same, quite a bit and camped on a peak with my 230L fuly loaded with my cmp.

I will be doing the WABCDR at the end of August/ first of Sept on my CRF230L. I have the TCI windshield, rack on front with a 1.5 gal Kolpin, Giant Loop Great Basin and a dry bag. Suspension set on the stiffest, 15 w in the forks. Seat Concept seat. Nice little ride.
Sounds nice. How about photos of the rig?
Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #5271
Nomomo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Sounds nice. How about photos of the rig?

I second the request for pictures and a ride report.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #5272
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Rey & Van,

Nice setup you have. I need to find some side racks & get my bikes set up for camping. Who needs an RV???
Try making your own side racks. I used EMT pipe and bought the pipe bender from Home Depot.
Total cost for first set was just under $50 including the bender.
http://www.powers31.info/Side_Luggage_Frames.htm
http://www.powers31.info/nx250_saddlebags.htm

I made a second set for my KLR650.
http://www.powers31.info/2011_KLR650.htm ( scroll down on the page. )
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #5273
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,837
larry31,

Those are great. Thanks for the links. I will have to try my hand at bending some pipe.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #5274
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Here is the FB album-

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...3&l=6cf5f60778

I have not figured out how to post photos. Apparently I need a hosting service for the images? I tried right clicking on images and it did not work. Doh.
yes pics need to be hosted...
Photo Bucket or Image Shack etc
Old 08-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #5275
ADVNCW
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
yes pics need to be hosted...
Photo Bucket or Image Shack etc
Thanks. Will put it on the to-do list so I can post TR of the WABCDR and etc.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:39 AM   #5276
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Here is the FB album-

I have not figured out how to post photos. Apparently I need a hosting service for the images? I tried right clicking on images and it did not work. Doh.
Facebook is a host. to post a photo hosted on FB:
click on the photo to view it in FB
rt click on the photo and select "copy image location"
come back here to the forum and click on the insert image icon above
remove the http that automatically comes up in the field as the image location already has that
paste the image location
done
I like to first enter, enter, enter a dot so it is easier to grab the posted image with a cursor if people want to quote you without posting the image over again.

sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #5277
top_dog
ADVrider wannabe

Oddometer: 32
Brazilian Yamaha XTZ 250 Tenere

Same engine as your XT250, but FI, some plastic, awesome headlights, better rear shock, bigger gas tank (16l, 4.5 gallons?). Highway speed easy at 60mph, top speed around 90mph (two up), 30km/l (65mpg?)

Cheers

Motorcycle rides in Brazil
www.rodasebotas.blogspot.com.br
top_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #5278
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,837
TopDog,

That is a sweet bike! Wish they were sold here.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #5279
ADVNCW
Banned

My Honda CRF230L ADV setup

I am 6'1", 230 lbs on a 230L! On gnarly singletrack mountain trails I can pick my bike up and spin it around! Pulls my big carcass very well < 45 MPH, climbs steep stuff to limit of traction. The tractive power band does not tend to spin the rear wheel- it just sticks and climbs! When loaded, the light bike is still light compared to others, and still easy to handle. Seat Concepts, 1 7//8 " handlebar risers. Stiffest shock setting, 15w in the forks, emissions can off and rejetted, XRs Only footpegs, MSR folding alu shifter, Flatland skid plate, TCI windscreen, rack, Kolpin 1.5 gal. Stock tank is 2.3 gal; 63 to 70 MPG loaded, 63 on hwy wide open up mountain pass, 70+ mpg on dirt. Honda handguards, Cannondale 30 oz bottle & holder attached by Topeak handlebar mount. Crossbar map holder. I have a 12 t front sprocket that I like for dirt riding but will probably use the stock 13 t traveling; neither allows uphill on a mtn pass > 50ish MPH loaded or unloaded- not enough HP. Giant Loop Great Basin 50L with a 20L dry bag in photo (I now have a 30L dry bag). Camp: The same light stuff I pull in the BOB trailer behind my Cannondale bicycle on family trips. Sub 4-lb tent, 2 lb sleeping bag, 1 lb REI inflatable insulated mattress, ultralight puffy coat with hood, 2 oz cookstove/ isobutane, titanium pot 1L, titanium skillet, freeze dried food and some ready to eat eg Dona Maria chicken en mole, Starbucks French Roast coffee tubes, light MSR water filter, 2- 1.5 L nalgene water bottles plus the 30 oz handlebar bottle, Petzl headlamp, Asolo walking shoes and nylon trousers and travel shirt when out of riding atttire. Small 2 oz AM/FM radio tuned to Rush Limbaugh.

Thanks Wenatchee Honda guys for advice, service, seat installation, and emissions removal/ jetting.

Great trail bike, 83 MPG easy trail and dirt road riding! 63 MPG with camp load trying to go highway speed in the mountains. 70 MPG on tight technical trail riding. With the low-end power I think I am riding faster at lower RPM = > MPG, as I learn this bike.

Thanks sendler

ADVNCW screwed with this post 08-09-2012 at 01:41 PM Reason: clarification, spelling, information
Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #5280
dec181966
Dude on a motorcycle

Oddometer: 158

I already own a 2009 XT250 but would buy that in a heartbeat....Come on Yamaha get this to the US!!!