Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #5326
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Maybe somebody with a 2013 will buy one and be nice enough to let somebody try it on an older XT250 to see if it'll fit. A beer or two should do.
It will most likely fit the bike, the problem is that there is an enormous hole in the bottom of the tank that the fuel pump bolts into. The carbed bikes obviously have just the petcock on the side of the tank.

In theory, the hole could be filled with a block off plate, and then the petcock mounted in the lowest possible spot. I've read about another bike where there were no aftermarket tanks for carbed bikes, but later EFI models had upgrade options, it may have been a KTM model. Someone did just that, blocked off the pump hole, mounted the petcock. I think that they eventually got the petcock working just fine, but had problems with the fuel pump block off leaking after 2-3 weeks on each attempt. Not sure that they ever got it worked out.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #5327
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,982
Some plastics are tricky to bond. Seems like a few calls to some plastics and/or adhesive tech guys would help figure out the best method and materials to use.

Perhaps the tank manufacturer could supply some tanks without the pump hole drilled out.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:49 PM   #5328
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Quote:
Some plastics are tricky to bond. Seems like a few calls to some plastics and/or adhesive tech guys would help figure out the best method and materials to use.

Perhaps the tank manufacturer could supply some tanks without the pump hole drilled out.
Yeah, it definitely seems feasible, I just know that the one guy I read about doing this had major problems.

I think that the holes are part of the mold, but if they are cut after the fact, seems like it'd be a very easy fix!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #5329
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Woah, cool, that does look like it might fit. Can't quite tell from the front mount though. The big problem is that the Lander is EFI and the US 250 has only just become EFI.

http://www.gilimoto.com.br/sessoes.a...&categoria=327

4 colors available, 4.75 gallons, $238. Definitely worth looking into if you have a 2013 model.

Honestly, knowing that the carbed version of the 250 was only sold in the US from 2008-2012, I doubt that a carbed upgraded tank will ever come to market here. MAYBE overseas, since they were available a few years before here, but most places converted to EFI before we did as well.
NICE!!!!! But.... i have a feeling that the hole for the fuel pump is probably under a spot where the petcock wont fit... it always turns out that way.

Almost 5 gallons tho, that is awesome, good find top_dog
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 AM   #5330
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
NICE!!!!! But.... i have a feeling that the hole for the fuel pump is probably under a spot where the petcock wont fit... it always turns out that way.

Almost 5 gallons tho, that is awesome, good find top_dog
It is dead smack in the middle of the tank. It's also much higher than the "wings", so you'd want to mount the petcock elsewhere anyway.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #5331
Kawazacky
Mad Typist

Oddometer: 197
Wanna ride your 250cc for a 600 km rally?

Hey guys!

Put your money where your mouth is with all this minimalist touring talk! Show up at CMG Online's Dawn til Dusk Rally for 250cc or less motorcycles, running Sept. 15 out of Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada! It's not that far from a lot of major eastern U.S. centres!

Read about it here!

Read about last year's rally here!

It'll be 600 kms on 250cc or less motorcycles, along N.B.'s Fundy coast, and up and down the St. John River and Kennebecasis River. There'll be cable ferries and covered bridges! Act now! But wait, there's more! Etc, etc!

No really, come on and ride it. I'll post more details when I have them, but we already pre-rode most of the route ...

Kawazacky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #5332
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:

I depends on the tank material, but if you can get the "patch" made of the same material, you can either heat or sonically weld it together. Both are leak proof. PE, HDPE or XLPE, are 2 common types of plastic for fuel tanks. The HDPE for sure is heat and sonically weldable. The XLPE is more difficult, but can be sonically welded. I do not know about heat welding XLPE.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #5333
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:

Could also ask DirtySanchez over in the Loctite thread. I have the same sort of problem with a BajaDesign rear tank for my KTM. Really poor design (or lack of design) for the hose fitting. I am thinking of removing their stock fitting and possibly putting a Delrin plate over the hole bonding it to the tank and then installing a petcock from Clarke with an o-ring seal.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #5334
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I think cleaning is the key. IMO, removing dirt, which is abrasive, and drying are the important things. Lubricant mostly just keeps the chain from rusting. Heavy stuff like 90 wt attracts dirt and in any case mostly flings off and makes the rear of the bike nasty. DuPont Multi is (was actually) dry, teflon lube, so doesn't fling, and doesn't attract dirt.

WD-40, or mild solvent like kero or Varsol clean very well. The concern with WD-40 aerosol is its penetrating qualities, displacing grease. Someone above mentioned using bulk WD-40 (liquid) and a rag. I'd feel comfortable with that.

The Webbikeworld article I linked to presented with evidence from an engineer that WD-40 can be harmful. http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motor...chain-cleaner/ It was compelling enough that a longtime motorcycle scribe and WD-40 fan stopped using it.

I only know what I read, and what I practice. No empirical studies out there that I know of. My chain life is very good. Sounds like yours is too.

Maybe we should start a motor oil thread
I like the BelRay chain lube and it doesn't seem to attract much dirt.

The other variables to chain wear which have been left out of this discussion have been sprocket materials and sprocket sizes vs chain length. There is a discussion of the latter (I think) over at the GearingCommander website.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #5335
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
Could also ask DirtySanchez over in the Loctite thread. I have the same sort of problem with a BajaDesign rear tank for my KTM. Really poor design (or lack of design) for the hose fitting. I am thinking of removing their stock fitting and possibly putting a Delrin plate over the hole bonding it to the tank and then installing a petcock from Clarke with an o-ring seal.
Dissimilar materials are a problem to bond together. It is better to use the same material or same material with the same base components. Delrin may be a candidate for heat welding though.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #5336
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,982
"Sonic welding" ? That's a new one for me. I'll have to google for the wiki on that.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #5337
Lesharoturbo
Nerdly Adventurer

Quote:
"Sonic welding" ? That's a new one for me. I'll have to google for the wiki on that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_welding

Wish granted! It works well on amorphous plastics and non-ferrous metals. It will also work on crystalline plastics, just uses more energy.

Some interesting information here:

http://www.herrmannultrasonics.com/
Old 08-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #5338
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesharoturbo View Post
Dissimilar materials are a problem to bond together. It is better to use the same material or same material with the same base components. Delrin may be a candidate for heat welding though.
Geez, that really makes sense! No wonder I never thought of it.

Thanks...

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

Old 08-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #5339
Daamud
AAAAAYYY!

Oddometer: 2,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
.......Bug spray or wipes in case your'e in a swamp when the bike breaks........

FYI

I once swamped my ATV on a trail ride. In an effort to save time, we asked some farm boys that were watching if they had any starting fluid, to help get it started and "dry" up some.

They said they didn't. But walked over a few minutes later with a can of Off bug spray as we were getting ready to pull the spark plug out.

I told him "No thanks, the bugs aren't bad"

He then told me to use it as starting fluid. And says it works better on a swamped motor because it contains some sort of oil in it. And it replaces the oil in the cylinder I had just "washed" out.

Worked great!!

He then told me, the Deep Woods Off (needs to be aerosol) seems to work the best.

I've used this MANY times. And always carry a can..... Think multi-use when packing.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:36 PM   #5340
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daamud View Post
FYI

I once swamped my ATV on a trail ride. In an effort to save time, we asked some farm boys that were watching if they had any starting fluid, to help get it started and "dry" up some.

They said they didn't. But walked over a few minutes later with a can of Off bug spray as we were getting ready to pull the spark plug out.

I told him "No thanks, the bugs aren't bad"

He then told me to use it as starting fluid. And says it works better on a swamped motor because it contains some sort of oil in it. And it replaces the oil in the cylinder I had just "washed" out.

Worked great!!

He then told me, the Deep Woods Off (needs to be aerosol) seems to work the best.

I've used this MANY times. And always carry a can..... Think multi-use when packing.
It amazes me at the things follks find out.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote