Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #5806
MikeFX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
The FX bikes sounds great, but couldn't someone like Honda leapfrog them straight outa the water with throwing road gear onto a CR150r http://www.honda-motorcycles.org/images/2009CRF150R.jpg or CR150F http://www.honda-motorcycles.org/images/2009CRF150R.jpg ?
CRF150R big wheel is designed for 12 year old motocross racers, so the wheelbase and overall geometry is cramped for adult riding.

Awesome powerful engine, but it is for racing and does have similar rebuild requirements to the other new-generation 4-strokes like the CRF250 and 450.

FX has similar geometry to CRF230/250, with lower seat, so it is a fully adult-sized trail/dual/adventure bike.
MikeFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #5807
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 665
I like it! Looking forward to seeing one in the flesh.
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #5808
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,992
MikeFX,
I'm sure some folks prefer low-tech low-maintenance engines, and I'm sure the lightweight FX design can only handle a limited amount of power, I'd be interested in more power & more gears. Maybe a 2-stroke, 6 speed? A lot of riders would be happy to rebuild a simple 2-stroke, every year or two, for twice the Hp.

btw, How much weight difference between a 19" and an 18" rear wheel & tire?

GlennR screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 11:49 AM
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #5809
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
Any advice on riding the UTBDT http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/UTBDR or COBDT http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/COBDR on a 250cc dual sport?

What gear to take, what to leave at home? How to prep the bike?

Thx
Some good info here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820992
Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #5810
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
The FX would be nice to hang off the back of a camper or RV
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #5811
bhd1223
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I'd like to get a test ride on one of those FX bikes. Very similar to an idea I've had for a long time. Seems sort of like a hybrid trials/trails bike.
Keeping the Vulcan for now. The ladies seem to love it.
bhd1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #5812
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
fx bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
MikeFX,
I'm sure some folks prefer low-tech low-maintenance engines, and I'm sure the lightweight FX design can only handle a limited amount of power, I'd be interested in more power & more gears. Maybe a 2-stroke, 6 speed? A lot of riders would be happy to rebuild a simple 2-stroke, every year or two, for twice the Hp.
?
I had a 99 Saturn that fit my needs perfectly, when it came time to replace it, Saturn no longer had a basic efficient car, I had to switch companies. In my perspective, Saturn had let customer input encourage them to move to more horsepower, bigger cars like all the other companies. Saturn is gone now, I believe largely because they left the basic car concept they built the business on.

I encourage FX Bikes to stick with the concept and not try to be everything for everybody. my 2 cents.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #5813
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
I had a 99 Saturn that fit my needs perfectly, when it came time to replace it, Saturn no longer had a basic efficient car, I had to switch companies. In my perspective, Saturn had let customer input encourage them to move to more horsepower, bigger cars like all the other companies. Saturn is gone now, I believe largely because they left the basic car concept they built the business on.

I encourage FX Bikes to stick with the concept and not try to be everything for everybody. my 2 cents.

I understand what you're saying, but if the bike can accomodate a variety of engines then it will appeal to a larger market.

Offering consumers a lot of engine size options has worked well for KTM.

I agree their ultra-light motorcycle concept is a great thing. But, do they think agressive riders will remain satisfied with a "beginner engine"? Or will their concept be wisked away by the established motorcycle companies who will boost the Hp a bit more?

Everyone wants a lighter off-road bike, but nobody wants to ride a moped.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #5814
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
nobody wants to ride a moped.
Have you ever ridden one??? They are cool in their own way!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #5815
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I don't think there target market is the "hardcore" crowd, I feel they're aiming at people who want a bike that can go anywhere and everywhere with minimal effort if you get into a "bind". At 125-150lbs. anyone can toss that thing around to get out of a sticky situation.

If you add more power, more weight, you've got a dirtbike... there are already 1000's of options for that.

What FX seems to be doing is offering a super reliable, adverse, easy to use machine to offer it to a broad audience.

Why build another "dirt bike"? This isn't a dirt bike, it's something new and something I am very interested in. Wish I could afford one at the moment before the discount goes away
Pauls2ndblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #5816
OBryan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23

Just a quick introduction here.. I'm 50 yrs old in south central missouri.. Yep Great riding both off the beaten path and great backroads..My main ride is a 2006 suzuki gz250 and I also have a 73 honda SL100.. Love this thread here..I take the gz many places maybe IT and I shouldn't be by most peoples standards.. But you know what they say ALL bikes used to be whatever you needed.. No hill climbing or jumping but If I can make it nice and slow and see something new I'll give it a go... I've had the bike have been down many a rough gravel roads and even forest 2 tracks..When I can figure out how to get some pictures off My phone I'll show how I have My bike fixed up..You have to see it to understand LOL.. Am a firm believer in making do with what I have or can get a hold of cheap..That and My budget kind of demands that...Planning a couple at Least weekend trips this spring.. Anyone enjoy close to the Van Buren area let Me know that'll be one of my trips this sping..I have a buddy with a 03 super sherpa and we'd be happy as hell to meet up with others who enjoy small bikes.. Sorry as I look up I notice this post is kind of rambling and disjointed but that kind of describes Me at times..
OBryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #5817
Pauls2ndblessing
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBryan View Post
Just a quick introduction here.. I'm 50 yrs old in south central missouri.. Yep Great riding both off the beaten path and great backroads..My main ride is a 2006 suzuki gz250 and I also have a 73 honda SL100.. Love this thread here..I take the gz many places maybe IT and I shouldn't be by most peoples standards.. But you know what they say ALL bikes used to be whatever you needed.. No hill climbing or jumping but If I can make it nice and slow and see something new I'll give it a go... I've had the bike have been down many a rough gravel roads and even forest 2 tracks..When I can figure out how to get some pictures off My phone I'll show how I have My bike fixed up..You have to see it to understand LOL.. Am a firm believer in making do with what I have or can get a hold of cheap..That and My budget kind of demands that...Planning a couple at Least weekend trips this spring.. Anyone enjoy close to the Van Buren area let Me know that'll be one of my trips this sping..I have a buddy with a 03 super sherpa and we'd be happy as hell to meet up with others who enjoy small bikes.. Sorry as I look up I notice this post is kind of rambling and disjointed but that kind of describes Me at times..
Welcome to the thread!
Pauls2ndblessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #5818
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Welcome. Always great to hear from another small bike convert. Looking forward to seeing photos and reading about some trips on your SL100!!

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:05 PM   #5819
dfye55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Welcome!

Quote:
Just a quick introduction here.....Planning a couple at Least weekend trips this spring.. Anyone enjoy close to the Van Buren area let Me know that'll be one of my trips this sping..,,,,,
You have some great areas to ride. I rode the Swinging Bridges ride 2012, great time. My first adventure, rode from Indiana with camping gear, camped two nights motel one. The planners just defined the start location and published the gps tracks. Filled one motel with riders I think. Great to see all the different bikes, but mostly dual sports.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758281

Bad photo, but this is bridge out fun:

One of the swinging bridges:

Cows seemed upset that I was sharing their shade tree to fix my second flat. I was riding solo at this point, pretty happy with myself to fix problem without assistance. Hmm, I see I had bottomed the rear shock and bent my license plate useless. I have since mounted the plate to avoid this problem.

Anyway fun ride, and you can get the tracks and ride the route anytime.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #5820
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,150
Quote:
But, do they think agressive riders will remain satisfied with a "beginner engine"? Or will their concept be wisked away by the established motorcycle companies who will boost the Hp a bit more?
I find it funny you posted that in a thread dedicated to minimalist riding.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote