Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #5866
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Interesting point of view, seems like you can't understand why someone else would want to ride something different than yourself. Anytime you start generalizing such large groups of types of riders into "they" it can seem a little narrow-minded.

I believe that why there's different bikes for different needs, while I'm all about traveling on small bikes nowadays, there's something very nice about riding long days on a smooth powerful bike too, especially with your girl on back and stuff to make the trip very comfortable when going through different climates on one ride. Easy is nice sometimes.
There's no single bike that's perfect for all the various types of riding found here on ADVrider and to think that people have big bikes because of ego is a little shortsighted IMO. Stereo types are easy and sometimes funny, but there's no group of riders that doesn't have their own stereo types, from little bikes like in here to BMW, HD's and Goldwings. Posting up with inevitably insult someone and kind of pointless in a thread to share ideas about being minimal.
Ever think that maybe that guy you see with a big fancy gadget filled bike is actually a fellow who's traveled the world on a little bike many years ago and now wants comfort cause his back can't take it? Or the guy on the chromed out shiny 1000 pound trike with American flags flying maybe is a disabled veteran who can't ride on two wheels anymore?

Real bikers because it's "harder" to travel on a small bike? That sounds like ego boosting to me since you choose to go what you believe is the "harder" route, though more often that not in our case the little bike is much easier where we like to ride. I have a much respect for those folks going RTW on little bikes, but the reality is they are probably better suited for that anyways, being very efficient, simple to work on, parts availability, inconspicuous, etc.

Different tools for the job at hand, anyone who wants to throw a leg over any bike and travel is OK by me, even the dude with the whole touratech catalog bolted to their bike. Sure there's guys who take big loaded DS bikes in places that would be better suited on a little bike, BTDT, to each their own and if they are having fun it's still better than sitting at home on your ass watching reality TV like most people.

I get this is the Minimalist Touring Thread and hope to contribute in a positive manner, just don't pat yourself on the back too much while putting down what other people choose to do on two wheels. Go read the OP at the start of this thread, it's not about talking shit about what others are doing...
It's all about having fun, sharing ideas and getting Lost.

I'm looking forward to more traveling on the little bike minimal style, and also other types of riding too...

Beautiful pictures
You make some very valid points......I've been riding 37 years, started out on small dirt AND street bikes, because I had to buy my own and that was all I could afford. Through the years I've ridden pretty much everything, and still enjoy riding all sizes of bikes.....like you mentioned, they all have their purpose

In the U.S. though, it does seem that bigger than the other guys HAS to make you the better man somehow......the main reason small cc bikes sell so poorly here, the worst in the world in fact. I like the rush of big acceleration, which takes big size and power, but I also enjoy getting out into nature on a small, light bike that can take me to the places I want to go without killing me......so I'm in the process of finding another small, light bike to get me back out there

I plan on following this thread to get any and all info I can.....and it looks like there's plenty to get
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #5867
OBIWAN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Don't Need Much

As far as how much of a bike a person needs for touring I would say about 110 cc should do it. Just ask nathanthepostman http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460631 .

I have a GL1800 and it's a nice bike and GS1150 that is a nice bike too but I have more fun on my KLR650 and always had a grin on a little CB250 I use to have that I wish I still had. I am a fix'n to get a 200-250 size dual sport went I sell that GS. I would need the space and money from the GS.
nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither
victory nor defeat. ------Theodore Roosevelt.
OBIWAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #5868
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
My eye is once again on this one:

Ah, so, you went to the bike show, I see. Once again the Mighty TU was the only bike I really wanted to sit on. I got there on Friday, and left my permanent imprint, so to speak.

I follow this forum because I hope someday to get my Allstate/Puch 250 fettled to a degree of reliability where I can tour on it. Or a Sachs Madass. Or an MZ TS250. Or one of those sweet Suzukis.

My buddy Jeff Ecker has done a lot of touring on a Puch split single: C. Springs to Paonia, Pueblo to Sturgis. His boy used to ride along on a CA160, another fine touring mount.

judjonzz screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 05:25 PM
judjonzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #5869
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Perhaps I'm an outlier,

Mike
We know you're an outlier Mike. If I recall correctly, you're downsizing from touring on a 250 to a 150?

I think the Lost Rider was eloquently making point is, it's all good, as long as we respect that everyone has a different point of view, and they're just as entitled to theirs as we are to ours.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #5870
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,344
The silver TU250x looks great. Always wanted one but don't have the room. The only problem is I dwarf the bike. Plenty of power for me, love the design and FI though.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #5871
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
You just need to turn the idle up a bit, and the throttle stop wears a little.

The longest ride I did on my TU in a day was 350 miles or so, from South Jersey up to Northern Pennsylvania.
I have done that same basic ride hundreds of times from the 70's, on all sorts of bikes, including big Harley's, old 750 Bonneville's, new Bonneville's, Sportster's old and new, old Daytona's, dual sport bikes, and the most fun and enjoyable ride has been on the little TU250.
Some of the least fun bikes to do it on were the new Bonneville and the new 1200 sportster.
For me, it seems having plenty of power sort of takes the edge off the fun, on the back roads or the interstate.
Many bikes feel very slow at 70 mph, while my TU feels like its doing warp 6.
Only time limits the distance of my trips, and there is nothing I would like more then riding far and long on the TU.

For me, doing a long ride on a big boring bike is harder to do then on a smaller fun thrilling bike.
Many times, I have come home after a 12 to 14 hour ride on the TU, and after being home for a half hour, I went out for a ride after feeding the cat. An all day ride was just not enough.
On many big bikes, 3 hours was more then enough.
And I never had more fun in the rain then zipping though traffic in heavy rain (and flooding) on the TU.

And I stop someplace and get crap about my little bike from someone who is in a car, but has a big Harley at home.
Well, who is having more fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfye55 View Post
That's a beauty. My red '09 provided lots of fun this year, mostly day tours less than 200 miles and one overnight campout. I've logged a lot of gravel miles, some snow/ice, and even a little bit of dirt riding. Learned to let it warm up before I leave or it will die at stops till it warms up. Other than that, it's performed flawlessly. An inmate sold me the service manual for $20, he bought and studied it considering buying one. The very large section on diagnosing problems with fuel injection system scared him off. But I'm still happier with fuel injection than another carb.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #5872
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,119
I took a look at the new GW250, and while impressed with the motor, I didn't like the ergonomics.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #5873
NJ-Brett
Brett

More details please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
I took a look at the new GW250, and while impressed with the motor, I didn't like the ergonomics.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #5874
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
More details please.
The seat was sort of U-shaped fore-and-aft, so that I know it would be uncomfortable with my riding suit on. By comparison, the TU feels flat and roomy.

The styling on the GW looks odd to me, and it is clear that a minor tip-over would easily break the front turn signal and bodywork.

Furthermore, the TU looks far easier to tune up and much simpler to work on in general.

I wish the TU had just a few more horsepower.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #5875
NJ-Brett
Brett

A long flat seat helps various size riders find a good spot, but the trend is to lock you into one spot.
Most of the modern motor designs need very little service, and many bikes never need a valve adjustment after break in, or so I hear. Some modern cars are the same way, shims that never need attention.

I sat on a cbr250, it felt uncomfortable to me, but maybe because its so different from the TU.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #5876
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
We know you're an outlier Mike. If I recall correctly, you're downsizing from touring on a 250 to a 150?

I think the Lost Rider was eloquently making point is, it's all good, as long as we respect that everyone has a different point of view, and they're just as entitled to theirs as we are to ours.
Yeah - I intend to downsize. The CBR250R is just too easy to tour on. Too easy to ride. It is such a great bike on so many levels. Very smooth. Tons of torque. Good power. Handles great. Good fuel economy. But I find it lacks a bit of character for me. I'm beginning to think that I just prefer "peakier" powerbands to "flatter, torquier" ones. Most of my friends who've ridden the CBR250R think I'm crazy - it's their favourite by far out of the bikes I own. Yet, I prefer the characteristics of the powerbands on my WR250R and CBR150R more. They're just more exciting to ride for me.

True - I think Lost Rider's point was well made. And I agree. But that doesn't change the perception/bias that I think still exists against small displacement bikes in North America.

Mike
Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #5877
NJ-Brett
Brett

The old ninja 250 has a power band like you like.
Very peaky.
Not my style, but that cbr seems like a great bike.
There is a video somewhere of one on a track, and it looks like a hoot!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #5878
Klay
dreaming adventurer

The cbr felt like the gw250 to me...too cramped.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #5879
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
The old ninja 250 has a power band like you like.
Very peaky.
Not my style, but that cbr seems like a great bike.
There is a video somewhere of one on a track, and it looks like a hoot!
Yes - I've ridden a Ninja 250R. Liked it for the most part. Except for the carburators. And the relatively poor fuel economy compared to my other bikes.

Mike
Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #5880
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Yes - I've ridden a Ninja 250R. Liked it for the most part. Except for the carburators. And the relatively poor fuel economy compared to my other bikes.

Mike
The new, Ninja 300 is fuel injected.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote