Old 01-15-2013, 08:53 PM   #5881
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
The new, Ninja 300 is fuel injected.

Spud
That's right. And it's supposed to sport improved fuel economy over the 2008+ version too. I think I could have fun on this bike. Problem is - I already have 6 bikes in my girlfriend's garage. Not sure how I'd be able to shoehorn another one in there....

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #5882
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
That's right. And it's supposed to sport improved fuel economy over the 2008+ version too. I think I could have fun on this bike. Problem is - I already have 6 bikes in my girlfriend's garage. Not sure how I'd be able to shoehorn another one in there....

Mike
Where there's a will, there's a way.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #5883
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,322
I think the new 300 has a broad power band, as many riders complained about the peaky power on the 250 bikes.
Hard to live with in the city.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #5884
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
The cbr felt like the gw250 to me...too cramped.
It's nice to be able to get to the show, and see nearly all there is to see in one spot. My daughter and I went three years ago, so she could sit on the one's she had interest in, on upgrading from a baby nina. She's 5' even, so it's "slim pickins" for her. We also went to Americade two years ago, and there wasn't a single bike she felt comfortable on to test ride, other than the Can Am trike. She did exit the 250 club with something she had lowered, and had the seat shaved by a local upholsterer, who took pictures of her on it to decide how to best go about it.

CRF250L Service Manual http://www.hondampe.com.au/docs/owni...F250L13_OM.pdf
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #5885
EdM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Klay:

What was your impression of the overall build quality of the GW?

From a styling viewpoint I prefer the TU; however the GW has a few features I like (e.g. disk brakes front and rear, tubeless tires) but I admit to having some concerns about a built in China machine.

I assume there was no price given for the GW(?)

Thank you.

Ned
EdM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #5886
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,152
I'm not concerned about the build quality of the GW250 based on what I could see. It looked really good.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM   #5887
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM View Post
Klay:

What was your impression of the overall build quality of the GW?

From a styling viewpoint I prefer the TU; however the GW has a few features I like (e.g. disk brakes front and rear, tubeless tires) but I admit to having some concerns about a built in China machine.

Thank you.

Ned
There's gonna come a time when almost everything will be built in china.......I've already gotten used to most of the basic household items being chinese made junk. We live in a cold climate, and use electric heaters to supplement our propane and keep the gas bill down......we've had to return so many different chinese brands and types of heaters, from so many different stores, its beyond ludicrous. And thats just one area of many I've dealt with anymore involving pure chinese crap. Its almost impossible to find ANYTHING not made in china besides some motorized vehicles, when they start making the bulk of our motorcycles as well, I'll go back to mountian biking for my 2 wheeled fun

China pretty much has the world by the short hairs anymore, and they've really taken the overall quality of products down the shitter
Old 01-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #5888
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdM View Post

Thank you.

Ned
Oh, yes, I forgot to say, the price hasn't been announced yet.

I wouldn't worry about the level of quality at all...generally Japanese companies that source parts or vehicles in China have them built to Japanese standards.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #5889
NJ-Brett
Brett

I think China will build any quality you want.
Its American companies that want to sell an electric heater for $10.00, with Wall Mart leading the way, demanding low prices.
90% of people seem to shop by price only.

The Japanese can build great cars in the US, so they can build great bikes in China.
My 2005 Acura TL was built in Ohio, and has not had a SINGLE problem, not a rattle, not a bulb out.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM   #5890
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,070
When German and Austrian companies moved engine assembly to China, and are still producing engines at the same level of quality that they have been for a long time, NJ-Brett was proven correct. China is more than capable of producing high quality items, if consumers are willing to pay.

I would not hesitate to buy an engine assembled or manufactured in China, nor a bike made in China, IF it's a higher quality item, from a known manufacturer, and with a decent warranty. Sure, there is a bunch of crap rolling out of there, but there is some stuff that rivals any where else also.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #5891
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
I believe folks who ride smaller cc bikes definetly take alot of BS from the bike community in general.As for China built items. They can build stuff to the Business' spec's.But,if the price goes up,where is the rest of that money going to.....communist military perhaps.Business, in general, hopefully wakes up and realizes that without jobs in the U.S.,who will buy the China made stuff?. China is backing itself into a dependence corner.Buy made in America whenever possible,support an American family.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #5892
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
When German and Austrian companies moved engine assembly to China, and are still producing engines at the same level of quality that they have been for a long time, NJ-Brett was proven correct. China is more than capable of producing high quality items, if consumers are willing to pay.

I would not hesitate to buy an engine assembled or manufactured in China, nor a bike made in China, IF it's a higher quality item, from a known manufacturer, and with a decent warranty. Sure, there is a bunch of crap rolling out of there, but there is some stuff that rivals any where else also.
I worked for a company who was a "technology enabeler" to china, before I completely retired. Companies like BMW have engineers on site in china with big goddam whips to insure quality of the product they buy....when they turn their back, those chinese companies will make crap. Too many companies out there who buy from the "low cost provider" aren't smart enough to have on-site quality control folks that hold vendors' feet to the fire.....chinese and otherwise
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #5893
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPB View Post
It's nice to be able to get to the show, and see nearly all there is to see in one spot. My daughter and I went three years ago, so she could sit on the one's she had interest in, on upgrading from a baby nina. She's 5' even, so it's "slim pickins" for her. We also went to Americade two years ago, and there wasn't a single bike she felt comfortable on to test ride, other than the Can Am trike. She did exit the 250 club with something she had lowered, and had the seat shaved by a local upholsterer, who took pictures of her on it to decide how to best go about it.
Have you looked at the india built KTM 390 duke? $$$..probably damn fast.....however, I don't like KTM as a company...or Austria as a country...but that's another story
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #5894
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
I worked for a company who was a "technology enabeler" to china, before I completely retired. Companies like BMW have engineers on site in china with big goddam whips to insure quality of the product they buy....when they turn their back, those chinese companies will make crap. Too many companies out there who buy from the "low cost provider" aren't smart enough to have on-site quality control folks that hold vendors' feet to the fire.....chinese and otherwise
I agree......overall quality has went down on everything. Things in general just aren't made as good as they used to be. And paying more now doesn't always mean better quality.
Its the age of cheap crap. And I think its just going to continue getting worse
Old 01-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #5895
NJ-Brett
Brett

I think that is true mostly, and why I love my TU250, fantastic quality even though its a budget bike.
The motor even has cam bearings...very rare.
The only problem I ever heard about is speedometer cables breaking from water getting inside.
I have abused mine a lot and it just purrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I agree......overall quality has went down on everything. Things in general just aren't made as good as they used to be. And paying more now doesn't always mean better quality.
Its the age of cheap crap. And I think its just going to continue getting worse