ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #6031
Jon
Adventurer
 
Jon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Akron, OH
Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
I was there Saturday but some how missed lois, was she there all three days or what ? I'm really bummed I missed her!! CMS
I think she only did presentations on Saturday and Sunday but was signing and selling books at a booth near the back of the expo center during the day. You probably just avoided her row since she was stuck in between something like a faux leather chap display and a guy selling knock off Smamwows.

Meeting Lois was the highlight of the show for me! Sorry you missed out. Just noticed you have a TU. that was the other highlight of the show. I really liked it and will pick one up when I find one priced right.
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:03 AM   #6032
johninlv
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Las Vegas NV, Marysville WA
Oddometer: 39
Light Camping Gear

When it comes to efficient light camping gear the ultra light backpacking crowd have it all together.
These guys are true minimalists.
How light you might ask.
My son hiked the Pacific Crest Trail from Canada to Mexico in 2005 with an average pack weight of 35lbs. This included food, shelter and cooking gear. We are still using the gear and it is not warn out.
Because I am getting old and lazy we are outfitting a pair of Yamahas for our adventures.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html

Without being a member you can search their web site and get great advice on going light.

JohninLV
johninlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #6033
sandalscout
blah blah blah
 
sandalscout's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Nashville, TN
Oddometer: 2,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Nice, wish they were available here.
Same here. Not sure I'd buy one, at least right now, but I rented one in Peru, was a great bike at 10,000-14,000 feet.
__________________
My KLR650 - Not quite so ugly now
Matt's Trippin' in Peru
sandalscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM   #6034
Pete-NZ
Studly Adventurer
 
Pete-NZ's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Oddometer: 684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo.G View Post
Hey Pete!

How are you man? Haven't read of you in a quite a while..
How's your Tornado and its sidecar?

I had a little question I wanted to ask you earlier, but I forgot to..
What kind of riding are you doing to your bike and what gearing are you using?

Using the standard 13-38 for a mix on and off riding is great, but I get to feel that a taller gearing, with a 14 or 15 teeth front sprocket would be better for the on riding, however, I'm afraid that swap to change the bike's response in off road riding..
With the standard gearing I can go at 100Km/h (of the speedo) all day long, and I can get about 115 or 120Km/h (again, of the speedo) to pass trucks and slower vehicles. And it has a really nice response off road, I have never got stucked in mud or such things..

Another user's opinion would be great..
Greetings!
I use the standard gearing.. even with the side car on...
it will climb anything.. and as you said will sit
on 100kph all day with no probs... gets 23 to 25km per liter..
I'm going to put a 14.5L Gillimoto tank on sometime..
__________________
Here.... my XR250 leaner side car build
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=716993
Pete-NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 AM   #6035
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninlv View Post
When it comes to efficient light camping gear the ultra light backpacking crowd have it all together.
These guys are true minimalists.
How light you might ask.
My son hiked the Pacific Crest Trail from Canada to Mexico in 2005 with an average pack weight of 35lbs. This included food, shelter and cooking gear. We are still using the gear and it is not warn out.
Because I am getting old and lazy we are outfitting a pair of Yamahas for our adventures.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/index.html

Without being a member you can search their web site and get great advice on going light.

JohninLV
+1

Though light weight gear can be expensive, it's just as durable as the heavy/cheap stuff, so once you get it you're pretty much done.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #6036
johninlv
Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Las Vegas NV, Marysville WA
Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
+1

Though light weight gear can be expensive, it's just as durable as the heavy/cheap stuff, so once you get it you're pretty much done.
My gear is over 10 years old and no longer cutting edge. Ultra lighters are allways selling off their old (still light) gear to upgrade to the lightist untested stuff. A cheap guy can still find deals on Craig's list and the several web site forums that cater to Light weight hiking crowd.

John in sunny LV
__________________
2004 Yamaha xt225, 2008 Wr250R Works in Progress
johninlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:32 PM   #6037
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
CMS's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Southern,OHIO
Oddometer: 246
Tu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I think she only did presentations on Saturday and Sunday but was signing and selling books at a booth near the back of the expo center during the day. You probably just avoided her row since she was stuck in between something like a faux leather chap display and a guy selling knock off Smamwows.

Meeting Lois was the highlight of the show for me! Sorry you missed out. Just noticed you have a TU. that was the other highlight of the show. I really liked it and will pick one up when I find one priced right.
Your right I had no idea she was there and did avoid those areas. Lesson learned ,won't do that again. you will like the TU, I'm on the TU or the GZ most of the time. The TU [IMHO] is the better of the two, its peppy for a 250, very smooth ride, and I like the FI. I met a fellow TU rider from Fla this past summer, at the AMA Museum ,and he rode his from FLA to Ohio [FSSNOC summer meet ] with no problems according to him. Maybe Lois will be at another show this year. Hope to get to see/meet her. I have all her books already. CMS [Terry]
__________________
09 DL 650 [Grey/Black]
09 TU 250X [Red]
13 GW 250 [Black]
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #6038
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UtahFox's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by johninlv View Post
My gear is over 10 years old and no longer cutting edge. Ultra lighters are allways selling off their old (still light) gear to upgrade to the lightist untested stuff. A cheap guy can still find deals on Craig's list and the several web site forums that cater to Light weight hiking crowd.

John in sunny LV
I suppose you're right, never really thought of buying this new stuff used, but I'm not sure why. Thanks for the thought.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #6039
Klay
dreaming adventurer
 
Klay's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: right here on my thermarest
Oddometer: 99,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMS View Post
The TU [IMHO] is the better of the two, its peppy for a 250, very smooth ride, and I like the FI.

That's good to hear.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:13 PM   #6040
Leo.G
Is still learning
 
Leo.G's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Marcos Juárez, Córdoba, Argentina
Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete-NZ View Post
I use the standard gearing.. even with the side car on...
it will climb anything.. and as you said will sit
on 100kph all day with no probs... gets 23 to 25km per liter..
I'm going to put a 14.5L Gillimoto tank on sometime..
Well, It's good to read that. Mine is in the same fuel consumption..
I'm thinking of getting a one gallon aux tank for it..

I'm Ok with the range I have with this tank, at least it is right for the places I use to go and also for the ones where I do a little more agressive riding or go on holidays..

Thanks for the comment!
__________________
2010 Honda XR 250 Tornado
Leo.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:59 PM   #6041
AleXtz
Minimal2 the fulness
 
AleXtz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Volcanos of Mex. City
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
The beaches of the state of Oaxaca are amazing. In the early 80's, Puerto Escondido was a little fishing village. You couldn't even find a surfboard for sale then. Luckily Miguel, the local board repairman could hook you up with something to ride. And Zipolite??? Back in the day it was the place to be, hammock living and the best bodysurfing anywhere. Huge waves, sandy bottoms.Almost died there a couple times having too much fun.

But alas, nothing lasts forever and there are hotels from one end to the other. Still a magical place though.
You have any pictures by then? Mazunte is 6 km away and they have their own guidelines to build. They are against asphalt, concrete and big buildings in order to preserve the landscape
__________________
2008 Suzuki DR200SE
2008 Yamaha XTZ 125

2+1 months living in Oaxaca's sierras and beaches:
http://motoviajero.com/foros/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2695
AleXtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #6042
Rx4Pain
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Rx4Pain's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: WA
Oddometer: 132
Western TAT On A Super Sherpa Video

Hi guys.

The video/slide show that me and my buddy put together after our trip From Colorado to Oregon/Washington has been uploaded to You Tube. I would say that we were as minimalist (a rear rack and a small backpack!) as anyone I have seen on this length opf trip, (2100 miles) After a few folks asked to see the video, I figured I would get a You Tube account and post it up.

Here is the link http://youtu.be/cul6v9N4uDo

Enjoy!

Ken
Rx4Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #6043
CNRED
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rx4Pain View Post
Hi guys.

The video/slide show that me and my buddy put together after our trip From Colorado to Oregon/Washington has been uploaded to You Tube. I would say that we were as minimalist (a rear rack and a small backpack!) as anyone I have seen on this length opf trip, (2100 miles) After a few folks asked to see the video, I figured I would get a You Tube account and post it up.

Here is the link http://youtu.be/cul6v9N4uDo

Enjoy!

Ken
VERY, VERY COOL.
i've done all three of those Colorado Passes, lots of fun and a felling of accomplishment. I'm putting together a "Shadow of the Rockies" ride to meet with the TAT in Colorado for later this year.
__________________
2011 WR250r
2007 BMW f650GS
1988 Honda NX650 - X2
1982 Honda GL1100 - X2
CNRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #6044
zeeko
shiver me timbers
 
zeeko's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Kata, Phuket, Thailand
Oddometer: 62
Ah, Mexico

Wow, the picture of the drug plane sticking out of the sand in Zipolite just jogged a lot of memories. Six years ago I loaded up a 650GS and put well over 8k miles on the clock cruising much of the Mexican coastline. That was a couple years after riding a bicycle through Mex/C.A. and I just couldn't get enough of Mexico! I live in Thailand now (which has amazing food) but I could sure go for some real Oaxacan Mole right now!
Found this thread because I just picked up a D-Tracker (KLX250) and am looking to have some adventures with her in Asia and India.
zeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #6045
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock
 
ThomasVolomitz's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 4,331
Holy Mole! Yes, it is good stuff. I have a couple pics somewhere of Miguels red VW covered in surf stickers and some of me in Zipolite in about 85 when I was a skinny surf bum. I will try to dig 'em out and post 'em.
I also lived in Thailand, have been married for 23 years to a Thai girl and my daughter was born there 20 years ago.

Both Mexico and Thailand are wonderful places. Enjoy!
__________________
https://m.facebook.com/dualsportdelinquents

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014