Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #6046
AleXtz
Minimal2 the fulness

Oddometer: 68
Wow Tomas and zeeko what a coincidence you two ended in Thai, maybe i fit the profile too and who knows in some future i'll be riding at least a rented mopped over there. I've seen a couple of times in Oaxaca guys like you riding bikes full loaded with waterproof bags and really admire the courage to hit the road on pedals

Post the pictures and probably i can print some and hand them to Miguel and other locals next time i go (this june or before), and if you allow me I might use some of them for my thesis on zipolite area

cheers guys!

p.s Right now the plane is growing corals or being a crab resort or whatever under the sea or sand. Carlotta hurricane from 2012 vanished from the beach

2+1 months living in Oaxaca's sierras and beaches:
http://motoviajero.com/foros/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2695

AleXtz screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 12:01 AM
AleXtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #6047
Fishenough
Team Lurker

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post

Not too often do you see a set up that I'm like I HAVE TO COPY THAT! From the single walled tents worth every penny, to the mega thick mattress, and then a cot on a small bike - AWESOME. Ah heck, it's not even a mummy bag!

I still have my lightweight backpacking gear, but a 3/5 length super light Therma rest just won't cut it anymore.

Where did you buy that cot?
Fishenough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #6048
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by DYNOBOB View Post
Very nice setup!

I setup the KLX for my 70yr old dad to go w/ me to CO/UT last Sept. Priceless memories. It will hopefully go to Prudhoe Bay in 2014.

Sorry DYNOBOB,

Been away for a couple of weeks and didn't see your post.
Thank You

ARE YOU SURE YOU WANT TO WAIT UNTIL 2014. I'll be driving by you heading north in June & 1/2 July if you want to come. First Destination will be D2D Dawson City Yt, then Alaska.

PS. wesdawg check for PM

pfy50 screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 07:25 AM
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #6049
Nanabijou
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishenough View Post
Not too often do you see a set up that I'm like I HAVE TO COPY THAT! From the single walled tents worth every penny, to the mega thick mattress, and then a cot on a small bike - AWESOME. Ah heck, it's not even a mummy bag!

I still have my lightweight backpacking gear, but a 3/5 length super light Therma rest just won't cut it anymore.

Where did you buy that cot?
Hi Fishenough - the cot is a Camp-Time "Roll-A-Cot". Admittedly a funny name for what amounts to a great lightweight bed for your tent. You can find it online from various vendors. There is a wide version and a standard version. I now prefer the standard size, as it fits the Nemo Cosmo Air insulated air bed (and most other newer air beds) better for width. And is lighter in weight. And for me it seems just as comfortable. You should be able to purchase the standard size for between $109-$119 online. I believe I bought this one at REI.

Mike
Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #6050
pfy50
Professional nOOb

Oddometer: 449
Minimizing

Here is my take on this minimized traveling. It depends on what each person is comfortable with for the TIME he/she will spend on the road. If your going out for only a week or a few days you can pare down to the bare essentials: Moteling it with one pants,shirt,pair undies(weather driven) socks, boots, gloves, and what ever body armor and external wear you use for the predicted weather and altitude.
I tend to think in weeks/months for my trips.

First trip started at 170lbs and pared down to 130lbs.

Clothing Load

Left&Right Pannier Load

Tank Bag.

But that was for 5 months and 26000miles (some people go around the world in less time)

Now I'm going to do a 1 1/2 month retrace trip 12000miles in a smaller lighter fashion:

2011 WR250R with 45-60lbs and I'll see if it works for ME and report back.

Maybe the next trip(Lord willing) I'll go some where in the middle (A DR650/XR650R/L) and head South.

Paul
pfy50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #6051
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,730
Just stumbled on this thread and glad I did,I put 7000 miles on a 2005 Ninja250 a couple of summers ago and got hooked on small bikes,Had a DR350 then hit the 650cc bracket starting with a Kawi 650r and because I like to be able to hit the dirt I sold that and am now doing the KLR650 route,always someone trying to get me to step it up to a bigger cc bike but for now I have peaked out at 650.Currently using the KLR as my only vehicle(I own cages but,well you know to boring to drive)so the trick now is to not get to caught up in all the KLR farkles keep the bike simple and stock and start putting together some good rides.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 AM   #6052
allstateclub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
2 long distance ride opportunities for tiddlers

I run 2 charity rides for small bikes.

First is the LakeErieLoop, a 650 mile sprint around Lake Erie in one day. This year we'll be holding LEL-X, our 10th anniversary ride, the weekend of June 7-9. The proceeds go to the Aluminum Cans for Burned Children (ACBC), a fund for pediatric burn victims. So far we've raised over $30,000 for the kids and we're not slowing down. Four classes for everything from mopeds to 200cc "big bore" bikes. Info is available at www.lakeerieloop.com or autos.groups.yahoo.com/group.lakeerieloop.

The second is a bit more ambitous, a balls to the wall run from Manhattan, NY to Redondo Beach, Ca., the same start/end points of the legendary Cannonball of the Brock Yates and Dan Gurney race of the 1970's that protested the national 55MPH speed limit of that time. Motorcycle size on this one is 250cc's for modern bikes and 360cc's for bikes 30 years old and older. It will start on May 4th and finish whenever the rider reaches the left coast beach at the Porto Fino Hotel. Billed as the Real Cannonball, the proceeds will be split 50/50 between the Wounded Warrior Project and ACBC. Entries so far are a couple 250 Ninjas, 360 Hondas, even a kitted Aprilia RS50! Go to sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/trctd for additional info.

Hope to see ya there!
allstateclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #6053
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Just stumbled on this thread and glad I did,I put 7000 miles on a 2005 Ninja250 a couple of summers ago and got hooked on small bikes,Had a DR350 then hit the 650cc bracket starting with a Kawi 650r and because I like to be able to hit the dirt I sold that and am now doing the KLR650 route,always someone trying to get me to step it up to a bigger cc bike but for now I have peaked out at 650.Currently using the KLR as my only vehicle(I own cages but,well you know to boring to drive)so the trick now is to not get to caught up in all the KLR farkles keep the bike simple and stock and start putting together some good rides.
Keep it stock? Not if you hang around us too much I told myself I was leaving my xr the way I bought it, nicely modded suspension/carb/filter wise, already desmogged and desnorkeled for me..I figured what else did I need right? I've since added a fork brace, full exhaust system, modified airbox, graphics, and some other things I'm forgetting.

Don't fight the Darkside, just go with it realizing as long as you don't spend more than you can afford, modding can and will happen
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #6054
UtahFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Timberland Radler Trail Shoes

Been using these shoes for a week now and am loving them. They're really comfortable, and everyone here is asking about them. They don't stand out too much, and I feel comfortable going out to dinner/lunch here in Palm Springs.

So... Equally good at camp, and out on the town.

UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #6055
John Fabian
Fabe

Oddometer: 88
7K on 150cc

I took 50 days to do 7,000 miles across the United States in the heat of 2012.

I traveled solo & camped most of the way. You can read about it on the blog I wrote at the time. I called the my trip, The Coulee.
My vehicle of choice, a 150cc scooter.
John Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #6056
DYNOBOB
lucky dog

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Been using these shoes for a week now and am loving them. They're really comfortable, and everyone here is asking about them. They don't stand out too much, and I feel comfortable going out to dinner/lunch here in Palm Springs.

So... Equally good at camp, and out on the town.

Nice!
DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #6057
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fabian View Post
[FONT=Courier New][SIZE=3][COLOR=White]I took 50 days to do 7,000 miles across the United States in the heat of 2012.

Thanks for the link, great story!
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #6058
shipman
don't sweat minutiae

Oddometer: 198
Quote:

I traveled solo & camped most of the way. You can read about it on the blog I wrote at the time. I called the my trip, The Coulee.

And a Chinese scooter at that! Nicely done! I just read your entire blog account of your journey. A great read, thanks for sharing!
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #6059
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

Oddometer: 26
Thumb New Xr250l member

I have been lurking for some time now and enjoying all the post on here. I see a lot in common of what I enjoy having to do with motorcycling and I see a lot of people in my own age group too. Like some of you here I am now more interested in a lighter bike and ease of handling. I am 65 and find that I feel more confident on my trusted 250 than I do on my bigger bikes. I have a xr250l I bought new back in 1996 and most of the time it has been a shed queen. I have 1150 miles on it now as an example. I recently took it out aand started getting it all ship shape again, The biggest problem I have always had with that bike is it has ben hard to start. I bought a xr250 carb and that did not help much so went back to the stock carb. I think I finally found two problems that caused the hard starting.The decompression lever has now been deactivated and I have done the accellerator pump fix. Now it starts much easier than before but I still dream of electric start from time to time LOL..
I just ordered a set of luggage from the walmart web site that is pretty reasonable and a tank bag. I installed a new windshield this week as well. My next project will be to research the Rack's available for next month's update.
Thanks for all the good tip's on here.
Slipinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #6060
Kankujoe
Adventure Traveller

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
I took 50 days to do 7,000 miles across the United States in the heat of 2012.

Looks like a great trip! Thanks for posting the link for your blog, I enjoy reading other's ride reports... Gives me inspiration for my own travels.

2012 Suzuki V-Strom-ADV, 2011 Kawasaki Versys, 2008 Yamaha TW200, 2013 Honda CRF250L

I'm never lost... Because I'm always right where I'm at...
Kankujoe is offline   Reply With Quote