Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #6106
Goon310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey & Vann View Post

Anyone around the Olympia~Aberdeen~Chehalis, Washington area that might
Weird!
I lived in Westport/Aberdeen from age 4-20.
All my family on my mothers side is still in that area.
Aberdeen sucks, but I prefer it over the city I'm in now.

Really enjoying this thread, owning a DR200 and all.
I want to someday take I-5 from here to Olympia...
Dad's already told me "That bike is too small, and too weak for that"
Now I have to do it!
Goon310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #6107
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Flapping bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
A simple solution for the cheap flapping ATV bags is to place it over the seat and sit on top of it. The bags will be behind your legs and are not in the way, even if they happen to flap.

They are not "the best" bags, but they do make it possible to carry a few things, and they are about as cheap as anything you'll find.
Received a set of ATV tank bags as a gift. Yep, they do flap. Tried sitting on them and worked OK, but there must be a better way.

Got some NFG computer hard drives, removed the powerful magnets and stitched them inside the bags. Nothing flaps now even at freeway speeds.

Dave
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #6108
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post
Received a set of ATV tank bags as a gift. Yep, they do flap. Tried sitting on them and worked OK, but there must be a better way.

Got some NFG computer hard drives, removed the powerful magnets and stitched them inside the bags. Nothing flaps now even at freeway speeds.

Dave
As a gag, I used hard drive magnets to hold papers on the refrigerator door. Nobody can get them off unless they slide them to the edge.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:42 PM   #6109
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Things seem to be slow on the minimalist front. Here's a bump-up.

Anyone around the Olympia~Aberdeen~Chehalis, Washington area that might like to get together for some wet-or-dry riding? Heck, even Vancouver WA for a ride out to the dry side sometime in the next couple of weeks?

BTW, those Zongshens are pretty dang good looking. Are they based on Honda motor design?
I have a 250, and am located in Rainier. Outside of Olympia. I'm not sure how much longer I'll have it as I've got a buddy looking at it to learn how to ride. However, I'm always down to ride. Whether on my 250 or 650. Pm me if your interested.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #6110
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
Is the Qlink the same as the Zongchen? Seems like I read somewhere they are.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #6111
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,696
Quote:
...BTW, those Zongshens are pretty dang good looking. Are they based on Honda motor design?
My Zongshen 200GY-2 has a faithful copy of the currently manufactured, Yamaha TW200 engine, except for a shorter countershaft. The Teikei carburetor in my Zong is virtually identical to the carburetor in the 2013, Yamaha TW200. I have installed quite a few Yamaha parts on my Zong, including a 4.1-gallon, Clarke fuel tank designed for the Yamaha XT225.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #6112
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Is the Qlink the same as the Zongchen? Seems like I read somewhere they are.
The old, QLink X-Ranger is exactly the same bike as my Zongshen 200GY-2. However, the QLink XF200 supermoto, and the QLink XP200 enduro are manufactured by Qingqi. These Qingqi bikes are powered by a modified, Suzuki 125cc engine which has been enlarged to 200cc displacement. As with my Zong, the Qingqi/QLink/Konker bikes are very nice little motorcycles. The Zongshen and Qingqi bikes are a bit unusual, since most Chinese, dual sport motorcycles employ clones of Honda engines.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 03-16-2013, 07:13 AM   #6113
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,953
It's good to hear that the Chinese bikes are decent bikes and are available for affordable prices. How much do they cost in the US? I have an XT225 that I really like and would like to see how the Yami copies compare. Maybe I'll see if there are any on Craigslist.

It is a shame that they copy Japanese engines, which I'm sure they pay no royalties for. You would think that a country with over a billion people would have a few engineers.

Does South Korea offer any dual sports to the US market? Their auto companies have really rocketed to the top.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #6114
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

Oddometer: 26
Laugh Tank bags ate

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilin jack View Post

Dave
Dave I have the same tank bags. I did not have any magnets laying around so my solution was heavy duty Velcro on Each side of the tank. It works great too and no more flapping on my xr250l. I bought the atv tank bags off amazon for 17 bucks so hard to beat that bargain.
Chuck
Slipinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #6115
Slipinn
DevilDogMarine

Oddometer: 26
Wink Chinese dual sport

Quote:
It's good to hear that the Chinese bikes are decent bikes and are available for affordable prices. How much do they cost in the US? I have an XT225 that I really like and would like to see how the Yami copies compare. Maybe I'll see if there are any on Craigslist.

It is a shame that they copy Japanese engines, which I'm sure they pay no royalties for. You would think that a country with over a billion people would have a few engineers.

Does South Korea offer any dual sports to the US market? Their auto companies have really rocketed to the top.
Does anyone know if china makes a dual sport with a engine larger than 250cc.
I am glad to hear some good reports on the Chinese bikes. Maybe they will make the main mfgrs get their pricing more reasonable. I remember when kawasaki first started selling in the US. They had a great price point and a decent although 2 stroke engine. Did not take them long to be a major contender in the market.
Xr250l 1996 1100 actual miles on it and just trying to get it set up for touring. So far I have a windsheild, tank bag,saddlebags and tail bag.. I still need a rack and a bigger gas tank.
Chuck
Slipinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #6116
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
I believe that they do now, but I bet Spud Rider will comment on that, and he really knows about this subject.

I want to get another dual sport bike, and on the Big Island of Hawaii prices are pretty crazy on new and many used bikes. J. P. Motorsports in San Diego sells the Qlinks, and I could have one shipped to Hilo from Pasha in San Diego for not too much. They want well over $5000 here for a new Honda CRL250F.

I'm going to do a search to see if the ZongShen motorcycles are still available in the US. Spud Rider's has been a good machine for him.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #6117
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,123
Quote:

Converted from European prices:
$4532 Yamaha XT125R
$2616 Zongshen ZS125Y
Prices in America will differ. This is just to give an idea how they compare to each other in Europe.
Crudely said one can for the price of a second hand Yamaha with 7,000 miles on the clock buy a brand new Zongshen with a year warranty.
Parts are affordable, which is not one of Yamaha's otherwise above standard traits.

Zongshen is one of the three largest producers of engines in China. The group is one of China's top companies.
They have an annual output of 3 million motorcycles.
They have an all chinese racing team that performs well in the Asian circuit.
Zongshen has joint ventures with Piaggio (Italy) and Harley Davidson (USA).

On the point of engineering, name me a few of civilization defining inventions that were not made by Chinese? Paper, hydro-power, printing, gunpowder, rockets, silk, seismological equipment, astronomical gear, compass, porcelain, ...
Shall I continue?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #6118
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,953
That is a big price difference.

I wasn't saying the Chinese aren't inventive and can't engineer anything. I just meant I find it unusual that they choose to copy Japanese engines, instead of producing their own designs.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #6119
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

The Chinese flooded the U.S. market with bikes in 2006. The bikes didn't sell, so the excess inventory was greatly reduced in price. In 2008, I bought my leftover, 2006 Zongshen 200GY-2, new, in-the-crate, for $950. About two years ago the QLink/Qingqi XF200 bikes were selling for $1,499, delivered, new, in-the-crate.

Now the economy is worse, and the Chinese aren't exporting many motorcycles to the United States. The few bikes currently being imported from China are priced entirely too high relative to Japanese motorcycles. Therefore, I believe the golden days of the low-priced, Chinese motorcycle in North America are gone.

Spud
Old 03-17-2013, 10:16 AM   #6120
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
That is a big price difference.

I wasn't saying the Chinese aren't inventive and can't engineer anything. I just meant I find it unusual that they choose to copy Japanese engines, instead of producing their own designs.
I've always thought that it stemmed from the existing relationships (and trade mentality) that China has had with Japan for the last few decades. Japanese companies were licensing Chinese companies to build engines for them, and then licensed clones for the Chinese markets. China continued to do so when they started to export their own brands.